Brendoncare Alton

Adams Way, Alton GU34 2UU

Brendoncare Alton provides residential and nursing care for 80 people including specialist care for those with Dementia. There is also a close care housing complex on site with 46 apartments.

The home is set in attractive landscaped gardens, and has been specifically designed to enable older people to live independent, happy and fulfilling lives.

The home also offers respite nursing rooms for short-term care.

The close care complex consists of 46 apartments where older people can live independently with access to the home for practical, personal and nursing support when necessary.

Group: Brendoncare Foundation

Person in charge: Tina Manterfield (General Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Hampshire County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Voluntary / Not for Profit Owned , Registered for a maximum of 80 Service Users

Registered Care Categories*: Dementia • Mental Health Condition • Old Age • Physical Disability • Sensory Impairment

Specialist Care Categories: Alzheimer's • Cancer Care • Cerebral Palsy • Epilepsy • Hearing Impairment • Huntington's Disease • Motor Neurone Disease • Multiple Sclerosis • Parkinson's Disease • Speech Impairment • Stroke • Visual Impairment

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Sheltered Housing • Separate Dementia Care Unit • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Smoking not permitted • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Bar/Cafe on premises • Residents Kitchenette • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Brendoncare Alton: click here

The Review Score of 8.8 (maximum of 10) for Brendoncare Alton is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.3 out of 5 from 9 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Brendoncare Alton in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 4.5 out of 5 from 8 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.257 for Brendoncare Alton is calculated as follows: ( (46 Excellents x 5) + (41 Goods x 4) + (17 Satisfactorys x 3) + (1 Poors x 2) ) ÷ 105 Ratings = 4.257

The 4.5 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Brendoncare Alton is based on 8 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 16 positive Reviews (80 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 8 Reviews ÷ 16 Target = 0.500

8.8 Brendoncare Alton has a Review Score of 8.8 (8.757) from 9 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Brendoncare Alton?

Reviewer Connection to Brendoncare Alton

Staff are caring and supportive, well looked after when poorly. A choice at mealtimes. The place is clean and tidy. The receptionist is always welcoming. Staff know who we are and always speak to us.

How likely would you be to recommend Brendoncare Alton? Extremely Likely

Lynne Hewitt, Peripatetic Manager at Brendoncare Alton responded to this review on 25 Apr 2018:

Thank you for your lovely review of Brendoncare Alton. We wish you all the very best.

My mother was a resident in her own flat at Brendoncare Alton for six years and moved into the on-site nursing unit for end of life care prior to her death in October. Throughout this time the quality of care was exemplary. We live some 150 miles away and had absolute trust and confidence in all the staff, who would always alert us if there were any concerns. Not only were all of my mother’s needs met, but the carers so often thought of the small things which enhanced the quality of her life. The relationships between my mother and her carers was very special and she regarded them as friends. Her final thoughts were that she had been so well looked after and felt very blessed.

How likely would you be to recommend Brendoncare Alton? Extremely Likely

Tina Manterfield, General Manager at Brendoncare Alton responded to this review on 15 Jan 2018:

Thank you so much for your review of Brendoncare Alton and for your very kind words. The team here worked hard to achieve our six steps accreditation for end of life care last year and I am delighted that, when the time came, the staff were able to support your mother in her final days. We wish you all the very best.

Overall, I am grateful to Brendoncare for the generally good quality care given to my mother during the 4 years and 8 months she was a resident. Most of the staff I met were caring, compassionate and professional. However, there were times when the senior management appeared unsuitable and inadequate for their role and this was evident from the low morale exhibited by staff and the resulting departure of several respected familiar faces. The standard of the home in all respects was judged by me to be high at the time of my mother's arrival. Within 3 years it had deteriorated but it does now seem that improvements have been made. I must specifically mention the excellent performance of two of the senior nursing staff on Pink Wing. I recommend that care is exercised in the selection choice of some of the junior foreign members of staff where, generally, communication was a challenge. I would recommend this care home and its staff without hesitation.

How likely would you be to recommend Brendoncare Alton? Extremely Likely

Thank you for your review of Brendoncare Alton. I am very sorry that you feel the standards at the home have not been consistent over the last four years. We would always encourage anyone with a concern about one of our homes to raise it with the manager or with the team at our central office, if they prefer. I am pleased that you have seen improvements at the home and wish you all the best.

My parents have a flat at Brendoncare Alton. During this year my mother was able to move into the nursing wing following a spell in hospital. The staff could not have looked after her better than they did.
The day staff helped my father to live a totally independently also my mother was taken across to visit him in their home regularly. I cannot recommend the infrastructure and care that the staff take more highly.

How likely would you be to recommend Brendoncare Alton? Extremely Likely

Tina Manterfield, General Manager at Brendoncare Alton responded to this review on 11 Jan 2018:

Thank you for your lovely review of Brendoncare Alton. I am delighted to hear that you are pleased with the care given by the staff to your parents. Many thanks and all the best.

Am almost independent can take myself to the toilet, occasionally need help. Can walk on the ward for short distances. My hands are getting very stiff and fingers are slightly numb, writing very difficult.
I love regular staff and we get on well. Undress myself and help with dressing in morning, get a bit bored sometimes. Not allowed to walk downstairs on my own. Cannot control bowel or bladder.

How likely would you be to recommend Brendoncare Alton? Extremely Likely

Tina Manterfield, General Manager at Brendoncare Alton responded to this review on 22 Dec 2017:

Thank you so much for your review of Brendoncare Alton. I am delighted that you get on well with the staff who are always on-hand to help you move safely between floors whenever you wish.

A good welcoming atmosphere. General mingling of staff, residents and visitors works well. Feel less comfortable at weekends when it is obvious agency staff are employed.

How likely would you be to recommend Brendoncare Alton? Extremely Likely

Thank you for your review of Brendoncare Alton and I am pleased that you find the atmosphere welcoming. If you ever have any concerns about the staff levels at weekends, please do feel you can talk to me or a senior member of the team at any time.

My uncle was in Blue Wing for about 6 weeks, dying there on 10 September, from frailty of old age. My brother and I were his only living relatives.

The experience of observing the quality of care you offered our uncle during his stay at Brendoncare Alton transformed my brother’s and my appreciation of the level of care that is possible in care homes. As my brother is a social care manager, he has strong views and negative experiences through his work. We would both like to thank you for the sensitive and supportive care you gave to my uncle during his final weeks of life. We will never forget all you did for him.

Please send our renewed thanks to all the staff on Blue Wing.

My uncle and I loved visiting your garden.

How likely would you be to recommend Brendoncare Alton? Extremely Likely

Tina Manterfield, General Manager at Brendoncare Alton responded to this review on 20 Dec 2017:

Thank you so much for your very kind review of Brendoncare Alton. It was our privilege to be able to care for your uncle and we wish you and your family all the very best.

My mother has now lived in this care home for twenty months and requires total personal care, being immobile. There has been reasonably good continuity of staff and so she has been able to bond with them well on a personal level.
The ethos of the care home is good, being a charity and this is reflected in the spirit of kindness in which the care is given.
The qualified nurses are generally very capable and swift to pounce on any health issues and family are informed immediately of any significant problems. A GP is always on call for emergencies.
The standard of food must be good - if it wasn't I would certainly hear about it!
The only negative comment is that the home seems to be constantly slightly understaffed. I believe that recruitment and staff retention can be problematic throughout the industry.

How likely would you be to recommend Brendoncare Alton? Extremely Likely

Tina Manterfield, General Manager at Brendoncare Alton responded to this review on 15 Dec 2017:

Thank you for your review of Brendoncare Alton. I am delighted to hear that you are pleased with the care which your mother receives and that she is treated with kindness. If you have any concerns about the level of staff on duty, please do feel that you can talk to me or a senior member of the team at all times. Best wishes.

The care and attention that is given to my brother is fantastic. All of the staff are wonderful with him and really care. I have no hesitation in recommending this care home to anyone.
We were initially very worried about placing him in a home but our fears were completely dumbfounded.
Thank you to everyone involved.

How likely would you be to recommend Brendoncare Alton? Extremely Likely

Tina Manterfield, General Manager at Brendoncare Alton responded to this review on 03 May 2017:

Many thanks for your review of Brendoncare Alton and your kind words, which I will share with the team here. I am delighted to hear that you are happy with the care your brother is receiving. All the best to you and your family.

Submit a Review for Brendoncare Alton

There are currently no awards/recognitions posted yet for Brendoncare Alton

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Brendoncare Alton