Eglantine Villa Care Home

Eglantine Lane, Horton Kirby, Dartford DA4 9JL

Eglantine Villa is the first Bupa care home to be rated ‘Outstanding’ by the CQC in January 2017. Eglantine Villa, once a private residence, is a carefully converted residential and nursing home offering convalescence, respite, palliative, Parkinson’s and residential dementia care.

The home is made up of two separate buildings (Jasmine House and Lavender House) and is set in three-and-a-half acres of beautiful gardens.

A homely interior is enhanced by the use of a sensory room, social activity room, conservatory and large secure gardens. En-suite bedrooms are well-equipped to ensure residents feel safe and comfortable.

Balanced meals can be enjoyed in the dining room overlooking the gardens, or in the privacy of people’s own rooms. There are lighter alternatives available throughout the day and birthdays are celebrated with a personalised cake.

Eglantine Villa know that popular activities and stimulating interactions are a vital part of good care. It can also be a good opportunity for friends and family to spend time with residents. Having something interesting going on every day is very important for a resident’s general wellbeing, as it helps to keep their minds active and improves their appetite.

Friends and family are welcome to participate in any or all of the activities at any time. There is an on-site activity coordinator who organises a wide variety of activities for residents to enjoy, whatever their abilities. There are seasonally themed monthly events as well as regular activities such as music and movement, film shows, and arts and crafts sessions. The home also looks forward to local community and charity events.

The home is proud to be a part of the ‘Research Ready Care Home Network’ Working to improve the quality of life, health, care and treatment of residents.

Person in charge: Amabele Cheng (General Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Kent County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 51 Service Users

Specialist Care Categories: Alzheimer's • Parkinson's Disease • Stroke

Languages Spoken by Staff (other than English): German, Spanish; Castilian, Dutch, Polish

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Physiotherapy • Separate Dementia Care Unit • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Lift • Stairlift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Eglantine Villa Care Home: click here

The Review Score of 9.8 (maximum of 10) for Eglantine Villa Care Home is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.8 out of 5 from 40 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Eglantine Villa Care Home in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 5 out of 5 from 22 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.817 for Eglantine Villa Care Home is calculated as follows: ( (406 Excellents x 5) + (55 Goods x 4) + (13 Satisfactorys x 3) + (2 Poors x 2) ) ÷ 476 Ratings = 4.817

The 5 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Eglantine Villa Care Home is based on 22 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 10.2 positive Reviews (51 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 22 Reviews ÷ 10.2 Target Reached = 1

9.8 Eglantine Villa Care Home has a Review Score of 9.8 (9.817) from 40 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Eglantine Villa Care Home?

Reviewer Connection to Eglantine Villa Care Home

My mother was resident for 8 years, her sister 4 years and my mother's partner 2 years. Staff were excellent, particularly at the end. My mother was treated with utmost respect and dignity. This home has greatly improved under the present manager. It became a warm environment for us all. Professional, caring staff.

How likely would you be to recommend Eglantine Villa Care Home? Extremely Likely

Natalie Krisman, Customer Service Advisor at Eglantine Villa Care Home responded to this review on 10 May 2018:

I am pleased to hear that you have seen an improvement with the home. Thank you for your review.

My husband came to live in Eglantine Villa in October 2017. He is registered blind, very deaf and infirm. The kindness, care and consideration shown to him is excellent. This care and civility is also extended to us, his family and friends.
The home and gardens are kept beautifully thanks to the manager and all staff and excellent food.
Last week, with heavy snow and ice, I was told all the staff managed to get in - dedication.
Contragulations to all.

Natalie Krisman, Customer Service Advisor at Eglantine Villa Care Home responded to this review on 08 May 2018:

Thank you for your review about Eglantine Villa. It is a credit to the wonderful staff and I'm really pleased that you and your husband have had a positive experience with our home.

My dad was lucky enough to spend his last few days of life at Eglantine Villa Care Home, and although he was only there for just under a week, the staff gave 100% in their roles of looking after him. My family and I couldn't fault the home in any way. Thank you for everything.

Thank you for your review and kind words about Eglantine Villa and I am sorry for your loss.

During the two and a half years my mother in law was being cared for at Eglantine, up to her death a week ago (almost made 102). The staff at Eglantine Villa at all levels and disciplines (cleaning, catering, care, nursing and management) have humbled us with their professional, friendly, holistic and consistent care.
They have always provided the highest level of attention to the resident and her family. We have been able to leave my mother in law in the certain knowledge that she was safe and loved. We have, over the years, come to regard the staff as part of our extended family and are so pleased that she was able to be cared for in the last years of her life at Eglantine.

Jayne Duck, Customer services administrator at Eglantine Villa Care Home responded to this review on 21 Mar 2018:

So sorry to hear of your loss, please accept our condolences. Thank you for your review and such kind words about our staff. I'm sure that when you look back on the time that your mother in law spent with us, it will give you comfort knowing that she was loved and well cared for.

My mother-in-law chose Eglantine Villa on the death of her husband in February 2001. She was unable to care for herself, being paralysed from the waist down. She had all of her mental faculties, thus, should she have had any complaints about her care she would have voiced them! We were extremely happy with every aspect of Eglantine and when the decision came to admit my mother in July 2011 (suffering from dementia) we did not hesitate, knowing that the care was first rate. One physically and the other mentally impaired, the attention to all of their needs were met with smiles and affection - the staff were indeed an extension of their family and the mothers were treated with kindness and dignity. The atmosphere in the home was always welcoming and 'cosy' - I have my place booked there. I respect all the staff members who go 'over and above' their working remit to spread happiness and comfort to their residents.

Jayne Duck, Customer Services Administrator at Eglantine Villa Care Home responded to this review on 15 Jan 2018:

Thank you for your review and kind words about our staff. It is lovely to hear that your mother and mother in law were so well cared for in our care and happy. It is the little things like a smile that make all the difference.

We think this is of a very high standard. The food is excellent.

The staff can't do enough for anyone, very friendly.

Jayne Duck, Customer services administrator at Eglantine Villa Care Home responded to this review on 15 Jan 2018:

Staff are always welcoming and caring and willing to go the extra mile.
Staff are efficient, professional and respect my aunt's privacy well-being and quality of life.
The room is always clean and her personal care requirements are catered for.

My mother has been a resident for 2 years, arriving at the age of 99 3/4 and is now approaching her 102nd birthday in March 2018. The family could not be more pleased to have found this wonderful nursing home, which has met and exceeded all our expectations. My mother is in excellent hands, enjoying continuous personal attention (care, nutrition and activities) despite being bedridden; never ignored, always included. This outstanding treatment is founded on a culture of staff excellence and compassion in all areas. Simply put, the staff feel like an extension of our family.

Jayne Duck, Customer services administrator at Eglantine Villa Care Home responded to this review on 07 Dec 2017:

Thank you for your review. I'm so glad to hear how well cared for your mother is in our care. I know this will give you peace of mind knowing that when you are not there you don't need to worry. It is the little things like taking time for a chat or just a smile that makes all the difference and makes it more like a family. I hope you have a party for her 102nd birthday.

We have found Eglantine Villa Care Home staff to be caring and very efficient and friendly. This is from the excellent catering team, where nothing is too much trouble for the nursing and support staff who work tirelessly to ensure the comfort and wellbeing of all residents.
My husband and I cannot praise them enough and thank them all.

Jayne Duck, Customer Services Administrator at Eglantine Villa Care Home responded to this review on 11 Dec 2017:

My mother moved to Eglantine from another placement, with severe dementia. Her room was bright, airy and spotless. Although Mum was unable to participate, there were lots of activities for residents to enjoy. My elderly, frail father visited regularly and was made very welcome by all the staff. The home has a happy, relaxed atmosphere and all the staff seem to enjoy their jobs. During Mum's last days my sister, Dad and I spent a lot of time with her and this was never a problem. Mum was well cared for right to the end. Cannot fault the home!

Jayne Duck, Customer services administrator at Eglantine Villa Care Home responded to this review on 01 Dec 2017:

So sorry to hear of your loss, please accept our condolences. Thank you for your review I hope that when you look back on the time your mother spent with us it gives you comfort knowing that she was well cared for.

My dear friend and mother-in-law to my son spent her last eleven days of her life at Eglantine Villa. She was treated with respect and dignity, all the staff were kind and caring nothing was too much trouble for them.

The lady who runs the home would come and sit with my friend when she was distressed and talk to her and calm her down, she was amazing, so kind.

All the staff were kind and caring and would even look after us and make sure we had eaten.
I cannot praise them enough for their kindness at such an awful and sad time for us.

Jayne Duck, Customer services administrator at Eglantine Villa Care Home responded to this review on 30 Nov 2017:

So sorry to hear of your loss, please accept our condolences. Thank you for your review and such kind words about our staff. I hope that in time when you look back this gives you comfort knowing that your friend was well cared for.

The staff at Eglantine Villa were fantastic with my mother in law when she went there in October during her last days. They treated her with unbelievable dignity, respect, care and compassion.
We will always be thankful for everything they did for her. They were also very kind to our family and understood how difficult this time was and did everything they could to make it even a little easier. They supported my wife the whole time and made it possible for her to spend quality time with her mum when it mattered most.

Jayne Duck, Customer services administrator at Eglantine Villa Care Home responded to this review on 27 Nov 2017:

So sorry to hear of your loss, please accept our condolences. Thank you for your review and kind words. I hope that in time when you look back on the time that your mother in law spent with us it gives you comfort knowing that she was well cared for.

My mum was cared for here during her final days. I am so thankful that we found this home and there are not enough words to explain just how wonderful they were.
The grounds are lovely, as are the rooms. We had a room that overlooked the grounds which was lovely for my mum. Having to leave your own home when you are very poorly is extremely hard but this place really felt so homely. The small touches in the rooms like the toiletries and hairbrushes, along with the dressing gown helped make it feel even more comfortable.
The best bit about it was, without a doubt, the management team and their wonderful staff. They cared not only for mum but also for us. They made sure we ate, constantly bringing us snacks and offering us lunch and dinner. They made it possible for me to stay with my mum towards the end, something which I will be eternally grateful for.
I would highly recommend this care home to anyone that is faced with the difficult decision of finding a home for their loved ones.

So sorry to hear of your loss, please accept our condolences. Thank you for your review and kind words about our staff. It is the little things like her own hairbrush that makes all the difference. I hope that when you look back on the time that your mum stayed with us this gives you some comfort knowing that not only your mum but your family were well cared for.

Simply the best! Fabulous staff, second to none in a homely and spotlessly clean environment. I don't know how they do it but I'm glad they do. At such a crucial time as end of life you don't get reruns or second chances to get it right, so choosing Eglantine Villa Care Home was the best decision we could have made and we will always be glad of it. The standard of care is always high and we are always warmly welcomed. We also leave knowing that loving care is being given. We feel supported by highly skilled professionals who have just got it right. A heartfelt and massive thank you to them.

Jayne Duck, Customer Services Administrator at Eglantine Villa Care Home responded to this review on 23 Nov 2017:

Thank you for your review and lovely words about our staff and home. It is the little things like a smile or just listening that makes all the difference and I hope that you have peace of mind knowing that when you're not there they are well cared for and loved. I will pass your comments to the home manager.

The resident was in Eglantine for about 5 years after her son was no longer able to give her the 24 hour care and supervision she required. She was in residential care up until about two months before she died.
She was always treated with such love and by all the staff and they also were always extremely welcoming to her visitors and made to feel very much at home 10/10

Jayne Duck, Customer services administrator at Eglantine Villa Care Home responded to this review on 15 Nov 2017:

So sorry to hear about the loss of your friend, please accept our condolences. Thank you for your review. We are pleased to hear about your positive experience and appreciate your comments about our home and will share your comments with the home’s manager.

The resident was a faithful member of our church for over 30 years. She wasn't just a member but a person who had a genuine connection in her heart to god. She was a real mother who cared faithfully for her children and that's why I'm so glad she was cared for by the staff at Eglantine Villa Care Home. One knew not only was she properly looked after but there was a genuine love, the hearts of the staff that when we couldn't give that living care we could trust them to do it.

My father's health went rapidly down hill and after a few weeks in hospital, we made the decision to put him into a care home. This was a huge decision and made us full of fear when you read some of the horror stories about care homes. From the first moment I wheeled my dad in he felt at home at Eglantine Villa. The facilities are great, the staff are better and have made the hardest decision of our lives so much easier to bear. They are kind to Dad and make him feel at ease. The food is great and nothing is an issue. We are visiting as a family to have a roast with Dad and ideally take him to the pub in a wheelchair and again the home has been nothing but accommodating.

Jayne Duck, Customer Services Administrator at Eglantine Villa Care Home responded to this review on 26 Oct 2017:

Thank you for your review. Unfortunately, it is always the bad that gets reported and not the good. I hope that now you have seen how well cared for your Father is and that he is happy and settled you have peace of mind. I hope you all enjoy the roast and have a good time at the pub.

Although my aunt was only in Eglantine Villa for a short time I can honestly say that every member of staff, from the receptionist, carers, nurses, cooks to management level, were kind and helpful in every way. Not only with my aunt, but also to me. Their support for me helped me through a sad time and I shall always be grateful.

Jayne Duck, Customer Services Administrator at Eglantine Villa Care Home responded to this review on 17 Oct 2017:

I am so sorry to hear of your loss, please accept our condolences. Thank you for your review. I'm so glad to hear that your aunt was well cared for and that you received the support that you needed at such a sad time.

Very friendly, helpful, accommodating and caring staff. If buzzer pressed always responds in a reasonable time. Food generally Ok, can sometimes be hotter but generally very accommodating.

Cleanliness good. More in room activities would be nice if you are unable to get to the lounge. In room mass would be nice or vicar visits.

Jayne Duck, Customer Services Administrator at Eglantine Villa Care Home responded to this review on 01 Sep 2017:

My father was accepted at Eglantine Villa in May, when it became necessary for him to have full-time nursing care, from another care home.
He has been extremely happy at this home but has recently contracted pneumonia and was admitted to Hospital. Now that he has returned to the home he is receiving palliative care from the extremely loving and caring team at Eglantine Villa.
I cannot praise their care and the loving atmosphere enough.
Thanks to them the last days of his life will be spent in a calm and secure atmosphere.

Jayne Duck, Customer Services Administrator at Eglantine Villa Care Home responded to this review on 14 Aug 2017:

Thank you for your review. So sorry to hear that your farther is very unwell. It is lovely to hear how well you regard our staff and the care that they are taking in looking after your father.

My mother has been living in Lavender Cottage since February 2017. Since her first day, she has been treated with the utmost respect and kindness.
The staff are very kind and willing to help with answering any questions we have and also doing everything to help make my mother's stay here a very happy one.
I would definitely recommend this care home to any persons looking for a placement for a loved one.
I know my mum is safe and being looked after very well.

Jayne Duck, Customer services administator at Eglantine Villa Care Home responded to this review on 01 Aug 2017:

I have found the care my husband receives to be of a high standard. The staff are friendly, caring and helpful. I am always made to feel welcome and my husband is clean, comfortable and pain-free.

Although my wife was only in the care home for one week before she died she was exceedingly well cared for. I think of this being the nursing home of a thousand smiles, visitors were always welcomed with a smile. This seemed to affect the whole atmosphere. Well done keep up the good work!

Emily Wilson, Customer Service Administrator at Eglantine Villa Care Home responded to this review on 19 Apr 2017:

Thank you for sharing you lovely review with us, we really appreciate your feedback. I am so pleased that you were happy with Eglantine Villa and the care they provided for your wife. The Bupa Customer Care Team.

The home was excellent. The staff were especially considerate and friendly. The gardens were well kept and inviting. Altogether everything was excellent.

Rose Pickering, Customer Service Administrator at Eglantine Villa Care Home responded to this review on 24 Oct 2016:

The family chose Eglantine Villa for Mum as the home had such a warm and friendly feel about it when we came to view it. We have not been disappointed with our decision as Mum is very happy and content there. The Manager, nurses, carers and all the staff do an outstanding job.

Lydia Waller, Customer Service Administrator at Eglantine Villa Care Home responded to this review on 07 Oct 2016:

Thank you for your review. We are pleased to hear about your positive experience and appreciate your comments about our home and will share your comments with the home’s manager. The Bupa Customer Care Team

My uncle was admitted to the home last month when my aunt could no longer look after him.
He is taking a while to settle in and his behaviour is sometimes challenging but the staff are always friendly and pleasant and very patient with him. The home is clean with a friendly atmosphere and all the residents appear well looked after.

Rose Pickering, Customer Service Administrator at Eglantine Villa Care Home responded to this review on 07 Oct 2016:

I think the carers go out of their way to be respectful, honest and care for me the best they can for my choices. The manager is coming up with something to keep us happy. the atmosphere is always happy and the staff go out of their way to involve us in everything. The activities are always varied and can be on a 1:1 basis or group basis. I can thoroughly recommend coming to Eglantine Villa Care Home. It truly is a home!!

As a relative, I have found the staff at Eglantine Villa Care Home to be first class and absolutely professional with my father's care, they have helped me and my family through a very tough time and I am very happy for him to be there and comfortable for his final day's. I especially like to mention the staff and the manager.

Jayne Duck, Customer Services Administrator at Eglantine Villa Care Home responded to this review on 03 Oct 2016:

Thank you for your review. We are pleased to hear about your positive experience and appreciate your comments of our home and will share your comments with the home’s manager. The Bupa Customer Care Team.

My late wife resided in Eglantine Villa from the 8th of December 2015 until she passed away on the 24th of June 2016.
The standard of care she received throughout her stay was outstanding. The staff are well trained and motivated, and the management team is very supportive.
Activities are imaginative and well run and there is a very happy and positive atmosphere.

Lydia Waller, Customer Service Administrator at Eglantine Villa Care Home responded to this review on 26 Sep 2016:

Thank you for your review - please accept our condolences. We are pleased to hear about your positive experience and appreciate your comments of our home and will share your comments with the home’s manager. The Bupa Customer Care Team

Eglantine Villa is a very well run nursing home with a welcoming atmosphere. They are able to provide excellent care and support to my frail mother, who has significant mobility problems on a continuing 24-hour basis. The staff and managers are welcoming and approachable. The nursing home also provides care in a separate unit for residents with a dementia-related condition and is able to deploy staff accordingly.

My Dad, despite his advanced dementia, receives excellent care at Eglantine Villa. The staff are excellent and welcoming. the manager and staff deal with any concerns immediately; My father's room is always clean and tidy Eglantine Villa has been run very smoothly despite the recent renovations. I am excited by the enhancements planned in the near future, such as spa room and bar (pub)

During the tenure of the new care manager, the standard of care has exceeded the previous good to excellent despite the disruption caused by the refit. The residents have been kept safe, happy and entertained. The improvements in the facilities will benefit all. My mother is coming to the end of life and the staff have taken the family into their care and making things easier for us. We now have firsthand experience of the food provided, in a kitchen that awaits a refurb. Thanks to all the staff for the excellent care.

Lydia Waller, Lydia Waller at Eglantine Villa Care Home responded to this review on 26 Sep 2016:

I cannot praise the staff enough for the wonderful care they have provided for my mother during her stay here. In these last days of her life, they have provided outstanding care to both her and the immediate family. I have now experienced first hand the excellent food provided on a daily basis and the kitchen staff have been so accommodating. The care manager has been incredibly supportive at all times and I can only say a very big thank you to everyone (all staff in every department). This home is proof of what a difference outstanding care can mean to the lives of both the resident and their family.

Good care. Friendly staff. Pleasant surroundings. Staff were very patient during refurbishments.

My Grandad has been a resident for six months now and I cannot praise the caring staff enough for what they do. Eglantine Villa Care Home is clean and very well presented and the staff have been very patient with the big refurbishment. My Grandad has settled in very well here.

Rachel Elliott, Customer Service Administrator at Eglantine Villa Care Home responded to this review on 16 Sep 2016:

Mum has been at Eglantine Villa just under 3 months. The care and love shown to her by carers and management has been outstanding. We have no doubt that we have chosen the best home for mum.

Emily Wilson, Customer Service Administrator at Eglantine Villa Care Home responded to this review on 08 Jul 2016:

Myself and the family are pleased with the kindness, caring attitude of the staff in Eglantine. Day and night care are excellent from what we have seen and heard in the short time that my husband has been living Eglantine. The activities are varied and encouraged although not forced. The food is to a very good standard and varied. We are notified immediately if there are any health or any other issues. Eglantine seems to be a very cosy, friendly home from home with all my husbands needs met as far as can be expected. We would recommend Eglantine and rate it very highly.

The home is set in rural surroundings and has extensive garden and grassed areas. The management and staff are approachable and provide a caring, happy and secure environment. There are numerous activities organised by the activity specialists and other additional services are provided (hairdressing etc.). It is proposed that the home will be having a make-over project in the very near future which will ensure that the facilities provided improved to an even higher standard.

My nan has been living here for a while now and has settled in really well. All of the staff are patient and caring and couldn't fault them. There are always activities going on and a happy atmosphere. I would highly recommend Eglantine Villa to anyone.

From what I see and hear when visiting, overall general care seems satisfactory. Sometimes I feel staff cannot be bothered, they lack enthusiasm, but I am not in their position, so hard to call. I do feel sometimes more attention should be given to residents to sit and chat to them, but time may not allow this. On a personal point, my mum is very quiet and finds it difficult to interact, maybe a bit of extra time and support would help her. Glasses and hearing aid have gone missing, which have never been found, this making interaction more difficult.

How likely would you be to recommend Eglantine Villa Care Home? Neither Unlikely or Likely

Eglantine Villa Care Home, Bupa Care Homes at Eglantine Villa Care Home responded to this review on 16 Sep 2015:

We take all comments extremely seriously and are very disappointed to hear that you are unsatisfied with your experience at one of our homes. We would like to contact you so that we can discuss this in more detail and investigate it fully. Please can you contact our customer services team by emailing feedback@bupa.com so that we can give you a call you to discuss this feedback.

Submit a Review for Eglantine Villa Care Home

posted 04 May 2018

ensuite rooms available, newly decorated, set within a peaceful location for residential dementia care

Recipient: Bupa Care Homes

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Eglantine Villa Care Home