Arbrook House Care Home

36 Copsem Lane, Esher KT10 9HE

Located in the leafy Esher suburb, Arbrook House employs a team of highly trained staff who strive to provide high-quality personalised care for a number of requirements, including long-term nursing, residential, convalescence, respite and palliative care.

The home also benefits from two newly refurbished flats, offering lift access, spacious lounge/dining areas, a kitchen area, shower room and views of our stunning gardens, which are ideal for anyone looking for independent living with the reassurance that support is close by or for couples.

Arbrook House is a beautifully converted private home with extensive landscaped grounds where residents can enjoy views of the natural lake and wildlife. The home provides a high standard of accommodation with tasteful decor and well-equipped rooms which include ensuite bathrooms, electric profiling beds, a 24-hour call system, flat screen TV and broadband internet access. Some of the bedrooms have spectacular views over the lawns and all benefit from co-ordinated soft furnishings.

All meals are home-cooked to suit individual tastes and dietary needs, and snacks and drinks are available throughout the day along with a 'Nite Bite' menu.

There’s a real sense of community at the home. The staff work to discover what residents enjoy doing and the home's social calendar is organised around those interests. So whether your loved one already has a hobby or would like to take up a new one, there’s lots of exciting activities to get involved in. Anyone is welcome to pop in and join in, whether you’re friend, relative or loved one.

Arbrook House has a sister home in Cobham offering dementia care, if you are looking for dementia care, please search for St George's Care Home.

Person in charge: Jonathan May (Home Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Surrey County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 44 Service Users

Languages Spoken by Staff (other than English): Finnish, French, Norwegian, Polish

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Physiotherapy • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Lift • Gardens for residents • Bar/Cafe on premises • Residents Kitchenette • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Arbrook House Care Home: click here

The Review Score of 9.6 (maximum of 10) for Arbrook House Care Home is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.6 out of 5 from 19 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Arbrook House Care Home in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 5 out of 5 from 9 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.604 for Arbrook House Care Home is calculated as follows: ( (151 Excellents x 5) + (55 Goods x 4) + (15 Satisfactorys x 3) + (1 Poors x 2) ) ÷ 222 Ratings = 4.604

The 5 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Arbrook House Care Home is based on 9 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 8.8 positive Reviews (44 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 9 Reviews ÷ 8.8 Target Reached = 1

9.6 Arbrook House Care Home has a Review Score of 9.6 (9.604) from 19 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Arbrook House Care Home?

Reviewer Connection to Arbrook House Care Home

Management not here at weekends. There are 42 rooms and staff under pressure to cope with all the residents and agency staff have to be called in. The staff are caring, some exceptionally so. I have had to order some agency staff out of the room. Maintenance in bathroom very poor, washbasin sink plug has broken chain, cupboard doors do not fasten. It takes some time to heat the water and more time to transfer water to the shower, hot water only lasts to 11.30am. Ordering of supplies very slow, frequent shortages of flannels, serviettes, drinks etc., told they will be here tomorrow. Summoning help by pressing 'bell' very slow. One can wait up to 1/2 an hour, one occasion I had to call "Help"!. It was another resident who got help for me. Chiropody service seen 23rd January and 18th April. Some night staff wear gloves to empty a commode, others do not, washing machine broke down January. Delay getting part, further delay for fixing.

How likely would you be to recommend Arbrook House Care Home? Neither Unlikely or Likely

Gabriella Mills, Customer Adviser at Arbrook House Care Home responded to this review on 14 May 2018:

Thank you for your review, we are pleased to hear about the positive experience you have had with our staff.
We take all comments extremely seriously and are disappointed to hear that you are unsatisfied with your weekend experience at this care home. We will discuss your feedback with the home's manager to help them continually improve their service. If you would like to discuss this in more detail, please contact our customer service team by emailing feedback@bupa.com. The Bupa Customer Care Team.

I came here initially after a spell in hospital in January. I had a hip operation in March and I'm back again. Very comfortable. Good care and friendly staff.

How likely would you be to recommend Arbrook House Care Home? Extremely Likely

Stephen Rondel, Customer Adviser at Arbrook House Care Home responded to this review on 25 Apr 2018:

Thank you for your review. We are pleased to hear about your positive experience and appreciate your comments about our home. We thrilled to hear your kinds words about our staff and it is always a pleasure to greet a returning resident.

My thanks for the excellent care and customer service shown to my father during his all too brief stay at Arbrook House before his passing. I would pass on particular praise to the staff.

How likely would you be to recommend Arbrook House Care Home? Extremely Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer services administrator at Arbrook House Care Home responded to this review on 23 Mar 2018:

So sorry to hear of your loss, please accept our condolences. Thank you for your review and kind words.

Our friend was with your friendly home staff for about a month. He found the staff really helpful and caring. His friends were listened to and treated with respect.

The staff could not have been more accommodating as my friend sometimes got a little agitated, to say the least!

We have enjoyed visiting my friend in these beautiful surroundings.

How likely would you be to recommend Arbrook House Care Home? Extremely Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer services administrator at Arbrook House Care Home responded to this review on 20 Mar 2018:

Thank you for your review. We are pleased to hear about your positive experience and appreciate your comments of our home.

I found the staff very friendly and accommodating. A particular mention to the manager for his kindness and enthusiasm in caring, also the senior carer, a fantastic person where words are not enough. A shame I can't take her home with me! The grounds are beautiful, well kept but look natural.

How likely would you be to recommend Arbrook House Care Home? Extremely Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer services administrator at Arbrook House Care Home responded to this review on 15 Mar 2018:

Thank you for your review. We are pleased to hear about your positive experience and appreciate your comments about our home and staff.

I have now had two relatives who have chosen Arbrook House for respite after extended stays in hospital.

The surrounding beautiful gardens are well tended, the rooms are designed for comfort and offer privacy or a place to entertain family or friends.

But the staff, from the carers and support staff to the chefs and nurses are the jewel in the crown! Professional, kind, supportive and dedicated to their patients.

How likely would you be to recommend Arbrook House Care Home? Extremely Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer Services Administrator at Arbrook House Care Home responded to this review on 05 Jan 2018:

Thank you for your review and kind words about our staff. It is lovely to hear that your relatives enjoyed their stay with us and I hope that their health has improved.

My husband came to Arbrook House only 3 weeks ago having been in various hospitals for the past 9 months. I can only say that every single person, from the moment we arrived, was shown such kindness, care and total dedication. It humbles us as a family to witness this and we are so happy that we chose Arbrook House for my husband.

How likely would you be to recommend Arbrook House Care Home? Extremely Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer services administrator at Arbrook House Care Home responded to this review on 04 Dec 2017:

Thank you for your review. I'm so glad to hear that your husband has been shown nothing but kindness and care since he came to stay with us. I hope is is settling in ok and that you and your family have peace of mind knowing that he is well cared for.

After one week, I am very satisfied with my choice of Arbrook for my mother-in-law who has heart failure. The manager has been impressive, caring, swift to act and good in communicating, from hospital discharge to care home admission and in subsequent attentiveness.

Staff are courteous, patient and helpful. They have such a tough job but manage to do it with a smile on their faces.

The care home has pleasant gardens, corridors can be noisy - but on the whole, we are satisfied, very much, at this point. Thank you.

How likely would you be to recommend Arbrook House Care Home? Extremely Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer Services Administrator at Arbrook House Care Home responded to this review on 06 Jul 2017:

Thank you for your review. We are pleased to hear about your positive experience and appreciate your comments of our home and will share your comments with the home’s manager.

Staff welcomed me into Arbrook House when I came in from home/hospital following surgery. I was very weak (physically) when I arrived for my stay, but over a number of weeks, the nurses and staff helped to get my appetite, strength and mobility back.
The nurses helped me with my medication (including wound dressing changes), the physio helped me with washing and dressing,
I enjoyed the daily activities very much. This was the best place for my recuperation, we cannot thank the wonderful staff enough.

How likely would you be to recommend Arbrook House Care Home? Extremely Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer Services Administrator at Arbrook House Care Home responded to this review on 26 Jun 2017:

Thank you for your review. Glad that you are much better now and that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We were called to Arbrook House as my husband was dying in a Friday evening.
After he had died, we went home.
No contact was made to us until Monday evening. We didn't know what had happened to his body or where he was.
The funeral directors subsequently told us he had been collected at 11pm Friday. It would have been nice if the care home had phoned us on Saturday morning.

How likely would you be to recommend Arbrook House Care Home? Likely

So sorry to hear of your loss. Please accept our condolences. Thank you for your review. Your comments are extremely important to us and our residents’ health and wellbeing is our absolute priority. We will discuss your feedback with the home’s manager to help them continually improve their service.

My husband came to Arbrook as he has advanced MS. The home is very comfortable and friendly. The staff are very kind and helpful. The surroundings are totally beautiful, with enormous landscaped gardens, complete with a lake. The accommodation is very comfortable with every need seen to. The food is prepared by an excellent chef and is wonderful. Altogether, the best nursing home possible.

How likely would you be to recommend Arbrook House Care Home? Extremely Likely

Simone Berkeley, Customer Service Advisor at Arbrook House Care Home responded to this review on 18 May 2017:

Thank you for your review, we appreciate your feedback. We are pleased to hear about your positive experience and that the home met all the standards and we appreciate your comments about our home and will share your comments with the home’s manager.

The Bupa Customer Care Team.

My husband was a redient at Arbrook House Care Home from 28th July 2016 until she passed away on the 27th September 2016. I cannot fault the care he was given. Arbrook House has an amazing team of nurses and carers who go above and beyond to look after both resident and family.

How likely would you be to recommend Arbrook House Care Home? Extremely Likely

Rose Pickering, Customer Service Administrator at Arbrook House Care Home responded to this review on 14 Nov 2016:

Thank you for your review, we appreciate your feedback. We are pleased to hear about your positive experience and appreciate your comments about our home and will share your comments with the home’s manager. Please accept our condolences. The Bupa Customer Care Team.

Very good, my father is kept clean and his room is clean.

How likely would you be to recommend Arbrook House Care Home? Extremely Likely

Emily Wilson, Customer Service Administrator at Arbrook House Care Home responded to this review on 30 Jun 2016:

Some of the staff are excellent and very conscientious, whilst others seem to avoid their duties if they can. It would be nice if some members of staff showed a bit more charm and enthusiasm for their jobs and that includes the receptionist, who can at times veer
towards being grumpy and down right rude which is not very welcoming. It does take quite a long time for staff to answer the bell. If possible it would be a good idea to get the council to install traffic lights at the gates.

How likely would you be to recommend Arbrook House Care Home? Likely

Lydia Waller, Customer Service Administrator at Arbrook House Care Home responded to this review on 29 Jun 2016:

My mother is very happy at Arbrook House. She considers it to be her home now. Her needs are met and her medical condition is very well controlled. The nurses are well trained and on site 24hrs a day.
She is cared for by the same staff, so she sees friendly familiar faces all the time. She takes part in activities every day with the other residents so she is not bored.
The food is excellent; delicious and home made. Her health improved when she came to Arbrook. Her laundry is cleaned and returned and her bedding is always clean. She has a special bed and her personal care is attended to by kind well-meaning staff.
I am grateful to everybody who looks after her.

How likely would you be to recommend Arbrook House Care Home? Extremely Likely

Rose Pickering, Customer Service Administrator at Arbrook House Care Home responded to this review on 18 May 2016:

Thank you for your review, we appreciate your feedback. We are pleased to hear about your positive experience of our home and will share your comments with the home's manager. The Bupa Customer Care Team.

This nursing home has exceeded all of my expectations from the management to the cleaning staff, from the house itself to the well kept rooms. The standards are kept close to perfection.

How likely would you be to recommend Arbrook House Care Home? Extremely Likely

I have had parents resident at Arbrook House since September 2013. Initially I had some concerns about staffing levels and communication both between staff at the home and with myself. In the past year there have been significant improvements in the physical environment and staffing levels and I feel much more able to work in partnership with the staff about my parents care. This is now a warm, caring and supportive environment in which the recent death of my father was handled with great sensitivity and I have confidence that the future care needs of my mother will be fully met.

How likely would you be to recommend Arbrook House Care Home? Extremely Likely

Arbrook House Nursing home must be one of the best nursing homes in the country. I went to see my brother who had a severe stroke, at least six days a week over a year. My brother was treated with sensitivity and kindness by all the staff. He was always asked by the carers if he wished to go to activities or into the lounge/dining room etc. Whenever possible his wishes were accepted. He had a terrible year and he was unable to do anything for himself, but he could not have been cared fro in any better way. To me as a relative it became second home and I now miss going there more than I can tell you. I think the carers are wonderful but grossly underpaid.

How likely would you be to recommend Arbrook House Care Home? Extremely Likely

I was very pleased with the care, compassion and attention that all staff paid to my mother in the six weeks she was at Arbrook House. We were always welcomed on arrival by all staff we met and kept updated on her condition. It was of great comfort to us that the whole team has my mothers best interests to the fore.

Submit a Review for Arbrook House Care Home

posted 04 May 2018

Recipient: Bupa Care Homes

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Arbrook House Care Home