Lauriston, St Leonards-on-Sea, East Sussex

St Leonard-on-Sea's Lauriston Christian Nursing Home offers a flexible care service for a wide range of elderly and related care needs, maintained by a team of dedicated and qualified care staff.

The home is well-situated for the pursuit of an independent lifestyle, with many shops and services nearby and great coastal views to enjoy.

The home's expertise has been shown to be effective in looking after cancer and stroke care needs, as well as people with Parkinson's and multiple sclerosis.

Lauriston provides nursing beds, residential elderly and residential dementia beds.

Group: MHA (Methodist Homes)

Local Authority / Social Services: East Sussex County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Voluntary / Not for Profit Owned , Registered for a maximum of 60 Service Users

Registered Care Categories*: Old Age • Physical Disability

Specialist Care Categories: Cancer Care • Epilepsy • Hearing Impairment • Multiple Sclerosis • Parkinson's Disease • Speech Impairment • Stroke • Visual Impairment

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Own GP if required • Smoking not permitted • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Residents Kitchenette • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

Latest CQC* Report on Lauriston: click here

9.2 Lauriston has a Review Score of 9.2 (9.228)

The Review Score of 9.2 (maximum of 10) for Lauriston is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.8 out of 5 from 11 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Lauriston in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 4 out of 5 from 5 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.811 for Lauriston is calculated as follows: ( (107 Excellents x 5) + (25 Goods x 4) ) ÷ 132 Ratings = 4.811

2. 1 point is available for reaching a target number of Positive Reviews based on 20% of the number of registered beds. If the target is partially reached then that proportion of 1 point is given. eg a Care Home with 50 registered beds has a target of 10 Positive Reviews, if it has 10 or more Positive Reviews it will receive 1 point, if it has 7 reviews will receive 0.7 points.

The 4.417 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Lauriston is based on 5 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 12 positive Reviews (60 registered beds ÷ 5). 5 Reviews ÷ 12 Target = 0.417

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Lauriston?

Reviewer Connection to Lauriston

• Grandson of Resident/Service User
  • Power of Attorney/Solicitor of Resident/Service User

My mother stayed at Lauriston for 4 years. The home provided first class care and I was made aware of all medication, doctors visits etc. during her stay
She was treated with respect by all the staff who did their best to provide for all her needs in the last years of her life.

How likely would you be to recommend Lauriston? Extremely Likely

Dad was admitted to Lauriston six months before he passed away. Needless to say, none of us wanted him to go into care. However, I can honestly say it was a lovely six months for him. The home is bright and airy and all the staff are excellent be they domestic staff, kitchen, carers nurses, admin and manager. They treated Dad like they would wish for their own parents to be treated. As a relative, we were also treated exceptionally well. Tea and cake were always offered at our visits. During the last few days of dads life, they could not have offered more support, An excellent home.

How likely would you be to recommend Lauriston? Extremely Likely

The home is clean and tidy with no 'smells'. There is ample visual stimulation, the staff are friendly, caring and approachable. My mother has vascular dementia but is physically active for a 87-year-old, her individual needs are well met. I have no issues.

How likely would you be to recommend Lauriston? Extremely Likely

Went with my husband to Queen's birthday tea. Very enjoyable. Food great. Husband enjoyed it. We are new to the home and staff have made moving my husband an easy journey, on what was a very difficult time. They have also been very supportive to me, and answer all my queries with patience.

How likely would you be to recommend Lauriston? Extremely Likely

I has been based outside of the UK when I had to rush over as my parents were no longer able to care for themselves. Guided by social services, my family and I evaluated 4 care homes and of these we selected The Lauriston as being the best by far. My mother and father moved into the home in February 2015.
Although mum was a normal resident, dad had bad dementia, every effort was made by staff for them to be together. We appreciated the social activities organised, the well prepared nutritious food, but most of all the caring staff. My father died in March, and my mother just 2 days ago. In our times of end of life and grieving I cannot rate the management, nursing, caring and others highly enough. You are amazing people and I salute you. At times I even felt that you cared for my folks more than I did, and I loved them. Nursing staff were exceptional.

How likely would you be to recommend Lauriston? Extremely Likely

When my mother suffering from late stage of Alzheimer's was admitted on 15/10/15. All of the carers and managers could not have treated her better, it was like on large family. I was very lucky to have had my mother looked after by this very caring home. I cannot praise them enough. When my mother was getting weak and then had a stroke they were so caring, not only for my mother but a huge support for myself and my family. I am very grateful she was in this home being cared for at the end of her life.

How likely would you be to recommend Lauriston? Extremely Likely

Patrick McCrossen, Home Manager at Lauriston responded to this review on 13 Jan 2016:

Thank you for your response it is so wonderful to get such comments from our relatives, of course at Lauriston we pride ourselves on good quality care and staff will be grateful to receive confirmation that this has been your experience.

I have been very impressed with Lauriston over the last six months. The care my father has received has been excellent.

How likely would you be to recommend Lauriston? Extremely Likely

Patrick McCrossen, Home Manager at Lauriston responded to this review on 31 Dec 2015:

Many thanks for this review. We are absolutely committed to ensuring that we provide the highest level of care in a safe and homely environment. The Staff have been working very hard to improve the standards of care and positive comments like this are much appreciated.

This care home took care of my grandfather. He really liked it there, it is clean and the staff were really friendly. His room was a really good size and their is lots of activities for the residents to keep them entertained. The food looked great and I was made to feel really welcome as a visitor. I would recommend this care home with no issue.

How likely would you be to recommend Lauriston? Extremely Likely

Thank you for taking the time to put your comments on the system, the team really appreciate your kind words of support.

Our mother moved to The Lauriston after many months in and out of hospital, suffering from a range of medical problems. She had spent much of that time in bed and was reluctant to mix with other patients. During her short stay at Lauriston she became much more sociable, and like her real self, spending most of each day with other residents and participating in activities. She enjoyed the food and attention given to her, and we felt she was definitely treated as an individual, with her care focused on her specific requirements. This improvement was significant and due to the approach and attention of the nursing and care staff, and the standards set by the manager and deputy. The environment – spacious, light and airy – and comfortable rooms contributed to her well-being. Our interaction with all staff has been very encouraging and they were genuinely sorry when mother died after so short a stay.
As the pressure for late-life care increases the charitable ownership of homes, as is the case here, is the way forward and should be encouraged.

How likely would you be to recommend Lauriston? Extremely Likely

Thank you for taking the time to add your thoughts, it's really good to have positive comments, it's confirmation we are delivering good quality care.

A wonderful care home with an exceptional eye for detail in care of the elderly and dementia. My wife and I were very impressed with the high standard of care provided and the numerous sensory aids around the home.

The home was clean and appeared to be very well run by the manger and his new deputy, nothing was ever too much and they were always on hand to offer guidance and support as needed.

The care staff were very polite and well mannered and we were always offered drinks on arrival and during the visits.

My father really enjoyed his stay with you and was always busy watching films or taking part in the numerous activities around the home and will look forward to another break soon.

How likely would you be to recommend Lauriston? Extremely Likely

Lauriston prides itself on providing good quality care, it's great to get confirmation that we are successful in our endeavours to do so

Where to start..... Although my opinion of this home has always been a positive one, I felt compelled to write a few words having seen directly the recent improvements which have been put into operation. First of all, the management of this home has improved dramatically - In the past few years I have observed a very high turnover of staff at all levels (management and operational). The past high staff turnover resulted in poor staff morale and had a knock on effect with the residents. The newly appointed Manager really is a "breath of fresh air" someone who instills real confidence and is a really "nice friendly bloke" to boot. Having met him and discussed my past concerns, I am supremely confident this man can get things sorted. He is now supported by his Deputy who was a successful care home manager herself for many years (I have met her and had many positive dealings with her in her own home over the years).

My involvement in this home is a professional one, I act in the best interests of one of it's long term residents. One of my tasks is to ensure my client is being properly cared for in a safe and stimulating environment. Following the recent changes throughout the home I am more than satisfied that this resident is being properly looked after and cared for.

Unlike most local care homes this home is owned and run by a "not for profit" charitable organisation. All the home really needs to do is to simply "wipe it's face" and pay the costs of the actual CARE itself generating only enough profit for future investment (improvements). No fussy forensic accountants here, hedge funds or shareholders seeking a quick buck! This should instill confidence for those of you looking for a care home where the residents come first.

My only (very minor) gripe is that the home has no wifi - I wanted to get my charge a "Now TV" box but there is no nearby router!

How likely would you be to recommend Lauriston? Extremely Likely

Jonathan Catterwell, Services Manager at Lauriston responded to this review on 17 Sep 2015:

Thank you very much for your kind and ecouraging comments. There has been a lot of development at Lauriston with particular emphasis on the team. I'm also delighted that we have been able to demonstrate that hard work and effort in the feedback we have been receiving recently. One thing to add, WiFi is available to all residents, relatives and guests. All you need to do is speak to the admin team at the home and they will organise access.

Submit a Review for Lauriston

Please avoid using names and enter a minimum of 200 and maximum of 1,000 characters - Currently 0 characters.

There are currently no awards/recognitions posted yet for Lauriston

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Lauriston