Oakwood House Care Home

Old Watton Road, Colney, Norwich NR4 7TP

Oakwood House Care Home, Norwich, Norfolk

At Oakwood residents can expect to receive a high level of professional care, with a strong focus on proper training and personalised provision. Nursing care is provided as well as other forms of care such as palliative and Parkinson's care for short or long term needs.

Situated in the small village of Colney, not far from the centre of Norwich, Oakwood provides a relaxed and friendly environment within safe and comfortable surroundings. All bedrooms have ensuite facilities and benefit from a 24 hour call system as well as a TV and telephone point.

The chef’s passion for food is reflected in the seasonal menu and always takes residents’ dietary needs into consideration. Freshly made cakes are popular to all residents.

With friends and relatives welcome to join in, many activities are enjoyed by residents with different levels of ability. Exercise classes, bingo and trips to Norfolk are particularly popular.

Person in charge: Agnieszka McDonald (Home Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Norfolk County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 50 Service Users

Registered Care Categories*: Old Age • Physical Disability

Languages Spoken by Staff (other than English): Polish, Tagalog

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Physiotherapy • Separate EMI Unit • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Bar/Cafe on premises • Residents Kitchenette • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Oakwood House Care Home: click here

9.4 Oakwood House Care Home has a Review Score of 9.4 (9.412)

The Review Score of 9.4 (maximum of 10) for Oakwood House Care Home is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.4 out of 5 from 20 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Oakwood House Care Home in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 5 out of 5 from 14 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.412 for Oakwood House Care Home is calculated as follows: ( (129 Excellents x 5) + (72 Goods x 4) + (31 Satisfactorys x 3) + (1 Poors x 2) ) ÷ 233 Ratings = 4.412

The 5 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Oakwood House Care Home is based on 14 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 10 positive Reviews (50 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 14 Reviews ÷ 10 Target Reached = 1

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Oakwood House Care Home?

Reviewer Connection to Oakwood House Care Home

Staff very warm, friendly and responsive to all our queries. Excellent care, my father felt very reassured and safe. He got on with the staff very well. His family noted how relaxed he was and that he said he felt secure and cared for. When he left he said he missed the friendly support of the staff and the company. The room and all the facilities were excellent, clean and bright. The garden a very good asset.

How likely would you be to recommend Oakwood House Care Home? Extremely Likely

Rose Pickering, Customer Service Administrator at Oakwood House Care Home responded to this review on 12 Jan 2017:

1, Most staff good and helpful but some were not. Sometimes considerable delay on answering call bells.
2, Night staff especially good.
3, Nurses good
4, Meals generally good.
5, I was in the home 3 weeks (respite) Note - I am 88 years old
6, At the request of care manager, I took my commode chair set to the proper height for me by physiotherapists, because Oakwood House had no chairs of suitable height for me. I think a home of this quality should have a variety of heights of chairs to suit all residents and some with adjustable heights of legs.

How likely would you be to recommend Oakwood House Care Home? Likely

Emily Wilson, Customer Service Administrator at Oakwood House Care Home responded to this review on 19 Dec 2016:

Thank you for your review. Your comments are extremely important to us and our residents’ health and wellbeing is our absolute priority. We will discuss your feedback with the home’s manager to help them continually improve their service

My husband was only in Oakwood House for 2 weeks for respite care. He was well looked after for those 2 weeks and staff took a lot of trouble to find out all of his care needs and likes and dislikes. It is such a pity that when the time came for him to go into a care home full time that Oakwood House would not take him in!

How likely would you be to recommend Oakwood House Care Home? Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer Services Administrator at Oakwood House Care Home responded to this review on 02 Dec 2016:

My mother has been in Oakwood Care Home since August 2016. The first few weeks was a bit of a bumpy ride with my mother taking time to adjust from being an independent person to having things do at the homes time scale.
Bearing in mind she has Alzheimer's and is strong willed, she is getting very well looked after with the complete nursing care package and personal help.
We have mornings out once a week and the odd trip from the homes in-house team which is a plus service.
Food is first class, a very good range, sometimes a bit too posh ! Drinks are available all the time extra by request.
It takes time to find the right care home at the right fees, I would be only too pleased to put my views over if required.

How likely would you be to recommend Oakwood House Care Home? Likely

Rose Pickering, Customer Service Administrator at Oakwood House Care Home responded to this review on 26 Nov 2016:

My mother became ill in August and we were in need of palliative care for her. Oakwood House came highly recommended and after an unannounced visit, we were pleased for her to stay there. She has now been a resident of the home for several months and settling her in could not have been better, the staff are so friendly and understanding. They have regular activities which they encourage residents to take part in and after a little help from me my mother has now helped out with some flower arranging activities and planting in the garden, things she used to love before her dementia set in. In the summer during a garden party, Elvis Presley came to visit and it brought tears to my eyes seeing my mother singing along and smiling. I would highly recommend Oakwood House for a loved one, it is in a beautiful setting and even though it is close to a main road you would not know.

How likely would you be to recommend Oakwood House Care Home? Extremely Likely

Rose Pickering, Customer Service Administrator at Oakwood House Care Home responded to this review on 14 Nov 2016:

Dad has been at Oakwood House Care Home for 6 months so far. During this time, I feel he has been on a good diet, received friendly attention from staff who are always helpful and caring, and has also benefited from an activities programme which helps to stave off boredom. I cannot fault any of the staff, but I feel Oakwood House Care Home is frequently understaffed which has on occasion impacted upon the standard of care I would have expected. I also feel the communal areas, at times, are not adequate.

How likely would you be to recommend Oakwood House Care Home? Likely

We researched and visited several care homes and thought would we like to live there! The answer was No! We called at Oakwood House on spec and were immediately impressed by the clean, bright, cosy feel there. Mother has been a resident there for seven months now and is being properly spoilt by all the caring attentive staff who are always popping in to see her and is also enjoying the wide range of tasty meals and titbits on offer. We feel we have made an excellent choice in choosing Oakwood House for mother giving us peace of mind knowing she is safe and well cared for.

How likely would you be to recommend Oakwood House Care Home? Extremely Likely

My Father was suffering from multiple myeloma and in need of 24-hour care.
Having lived in the same house for 53 years, Dad took some time to adjust to being at Oakwood House Care Home.
All the staff were very kind and attentive with excellent care and they did their utmost to help Dad to settle in.
Dad's medical condition was rapidly deteriorating and we asked for the Community Palliative Care Nurse to visit. From there on, until his death on October 13th, their input with advice on analgesia and towards the end, syringe driver, allowed dad a relatively peaceful death.
Oakwood House nursing staff were keen to learn from the Palliative Care Nurse with regards end of life medication and in doing so will be able to take their skills forward to other residents requiring palliative care.
The skill of the nurses in recognising Dads deterioration and phoning me, allowed me to be with Dad as he took his last breath. for that, I will be forever grateful.
In my Dads words as he often said "Thank you"

How likely would you be to recommend Oakwood House Care Home? Extremely Likely

Thank you for your review, we appreciate your feedback. We are pleased to hear about your positive experience and appreciate your comments about our home and will share your comments with the home’s manager. Please accept our condolences. The Bupa Customer Care Team.

My Father spent 2 months in Oakwood and the care, attention, kindliness extended to him ensured that his final days were as comfortable as possible. Whilst he took the time to adjust to his new surroundings, the staff made this transition as seamless as possible.

How likely would you be to recommend Oakwood House Care Home? Extremely Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer service administrator at Oakwood House Care Home responded to this review on 10 Nov 2016:

Thank you for your review. We are pleased to hear about your positive experience and appreciate your comments about our home and will share your comments with the home’s manager. The Bupa Customer Care Team.

As I was a resident for only 9 days my comments must allow for this. I was resident following immediately a full knee replacement operation at the adjacent hospital. My movement was very restricted and I left my room on only rare occasions for a shower and limited exercise. The period of residence was excellent for the purpose of my post operation recovery.

How likely would you be to recommend Oakwood House Care Home? Likely

Rose Pickering, Customer Service Administrator at Oakwood House Care Home responded to this review on 09 Nov 2016:

I can't thank the staff at Oakwood House Care Home enough for the care and compassion shown to my mother. Their helpfulness and thoughtfulness was very moving last weekend when they arranged for my mother to attend my wedding. After an initial conversation to agree what her health would realistically allow, they made the arrangements for the wheel chair taxis and accompanied her to the church. This meant my family were able to enjoy the ceremony and preparations in the knowledge that my mother was being cared for. They also ensured she looked her best and wore the outfit we had selected. Supportive but not intrusive, they made it possible for my mother to be at my wedding for which I do not have sufficient words to thanks them.

How likely would you be to recommend Oakwood House Care Home? Extremely Likely

Lydia Waller, Customer Service Administrator at Oakwood House Care Home responded to this review on 06 Nov 2016:

Respite care provided following corneal transplant surgery which had to be repeated. Staff went out of their way to provide taxis and carers to accompany me to several follow-up appointments. Reception staff particularly helpful, kind, considerate, a truly comforting experience. Eyes still a problem.

How likely would you be to recommend Oakwood House Care Home? Extremely Likely

Rachel Elliott, Customer Sevice Administrator at Oakwood House Care Home responded to this review on 16 Sep 2016:

Thank you for your review. We are pleased to hear about your positive experience and appreciate your comments of our home and will share your comments with the home’s manager. The Bupa Customer Care Team.

My wife was in Oakwood House for one week for respite care. She was very well looked after, and has said so both to me and to the staff. Nothing was too much trouble. She also felt that there was no pressure on her at any time.
From my point of view I was able to spend a much needed week away and was able to relax in the knowledge that my wife would be well looked after, which she was. I was in daily contact by telephone and there was a noticeable improvement in my wife's condition as the week progressed. Visitors also commented that my wife was improving as time progressed - and I just hope I can maintain that improvement now that we are home again.
I feel I must make comment on one particular issue: to me, the "front" of any organisation is the first contact, usually by telephone. Both receptionists were excellent in their attitude, instilling confidence right from the start; the confidence they gave me was well justified.

How likely would you be to recommend Oakwood House Care Home? Extremely Likely

Lydia Waller, Customer Service Administrator at Oakwood House Care Home responded to this review on 26 May 2016:

I was here for a 10 day convalesce after a stay in hospital with severe concussion to the brain. The calm and beauty of the environment were very healing, the staff are very friendly and there was a cheerful atmosphere.
The food was no doubt tailored for the majority of residents (elderly English). I found it rather unappetising and had some difficulty getting my specific dietary needs understood and met.
The level of service rather went to pieces at the weekend, meal, were late or even one day I was simply forgotten. There seems to be a lack of central direction at weekends. But on the whole the experience was a very polite one for a convalescent period.

How likely would you be to recommend Oakwood House Care Home? Likely

Rachel Elliott, Customer Service Administrator at Oakwood House Care Home responded to this review on 06 Apr 2016:

Thank you for your review, we are pleased to hear about your experience of our home and appreciate your comments and will share with the homes manager to help them continually improve their service. The Bupa Customer Care Team.

Unfortunately experience was spoilt by other patients calling out in the night.

How likely would you be to recommend Oakwood House Care Home? Likely

My husband has been in this home for many years and he settled in this home very well. I am very pleased with how he is looked after by all the staff, they are extremely patient with my husband. I know he can be angry and not want to have things done for him at times and also for their concern for myself too . I have no concern for the care and activities that go on, although my husband is not able to partake in any of these activities. I am so thankful for everything that is being done for my husband.

How likely would you be to recommend Oakwood House Care Home? Extremely Likely

I was provided with excellent care and support following ankle surgery. I always found the staff to be happy and cheerful which made for an excellent atmosphere in the home. During my stay I had the opportunity to observe the staff caring for the residents who were less able than myself. this was done in a compassionate and caring manner.

How likely would you be to recommend Oakwood House Care Home? Extremely Likely

The whole place has a lovely atmosphere, very homely and caring, and as a relative, I was welcomed and made to feel at home. The care and respect given to my father-in-law is second to none. And the carers have been excellent, going above and beyond what would be expected of them. I can tell they really do care. I have been kept well informed of treatments and concerns and have been very well fed when I have been here all day. I can't thank everyone concerned enough.

How likely would you be to recommend Oakwood House Care Home? Extremely Likely

After a difficult short period in hospital after a comparatively minor operation I was left feeling weak and unhappy about returning home without a period of convalescent care. Although it took up an amount of my meagre savings I opted for a room with the largest area of window, which with a fortuitous "Indian Summer" was psychologically helpful. A three week stay has left me prepared to return home.

How likely would you be to recommend Oakwood House Care Home? Likely

My father has been at Oakwood House for 9 days now. I cannot think of a better place for him to be, he has security, peace of mind, brilliant staff around him. The whole place is welcoming and nothing is ever too much trouble. It is total reassurance for me too as I can come home and not worry as he really is in very good hands. The staff really are amazing. My dad is enjoying the food and all the cups of teas too. Our only one criticism would be there needs to be more than one gardener as it is a big area for one person. But on the whole Oakwood House gets 100% from us.

Submit a Review for Oakwood House Care Home

Please avoid using names and enter a minimum of 200 and maximum of 1,000 characters - Currently 0 characters.

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Oakwood House Care Home