Barchester Kenwyn Care Home, Truro, Cornwall

Purpose built in award-winning gardens, Kenwyn Care Home offers a warm and friendly environment. Large en-suite bedrooms are complimented by a variety of communal sitting areas. Their levels of care, service and attention to detail are aimed to be the perfect complement to fine surroundings.

A team of highly-qualified and attentive staff really focuses on the individual needs of residents with a tailored care plan for each person. And dedication can be seen across the board - in their cooking, hospitality, housekeeping and in organising activities for residents.

They think you'll find they're ideally suited to meet your needs now and in the future.

Why not arrange a visit and see for yourself.

Group: Barchester Healthcare Ltd

Person in charge: Annette Russell (General Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Cornwall Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 109 Service Users

Registered Care Categories*: Dementia • Mental Health Condition • Old Age • Physical Disability • Younger Adults

Specialist Care Categories: Alzheimer's • Huntington's Disease • Multiple Sclerosis • Parkinson's Disease

Languages Spoken by Staff (other than English): Punjabi Mirpuri, Bulgarian, German, Panjabi, Punjabi, Romanian

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Physiotherapy • Separate Dementia Care Unit • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Bar/Cafe on premises • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Barchester Kenwyn Care Home: click here

posted 12 Feb 2018

We currently have limited availability. Please contact us to discuss your needs further, we would love to welcome you for a visit.

9.1 Barchester Kenwyn Care Home has a Review Score of 9.1 (9.081)

The Review Score of 9.1 (maximum of 10) for Barchester Kenwyn Care Home is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.5 out of 5 from 28 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Barchester Kenwyn Care Home in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 4.6 out of 5 from 13 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.485 for Barchester Kenwyn Care Home is calculated as follows: ( (185 Excellents x 5) + (124 Goods x 4) + (18 Satisfactorys x 3) + (2 Poors x 2) + (1 Very Poors x 1) ) ÷ 330 Ratings = 4.485

The 4.596 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Barchester Kenwyn Care Home is based on 13 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 21.8 positive Reviews (109 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 13 Reviews ÷ 21.8 Target = 0.596

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Barchester Kenwyn Care Home?

Reviewer Connection to Barchester Kenwyn Care Home

• Partner of Resident/Service User

I am very pleased with the care my husband is receiving.

I can ask the staff anything relating to my husband and they are very eager to help. Very pleased!

How likely would you be to recommend Barchester Kenwyn Care Home? Extremely Likely

The care at Kenwyn is excellent and I could not fault it, the standard of care is next to none. Caring family and always helpful and understanding. Mum is always treated with dignity and respect.

I find Kenwyn nursing home maintains an excellent standard of care for my dad. He has been a resident at the dementia ward Tresco for almost four years now. I cannot praise the staff enough they are wonderful. The lady who takes charge of the ward is a beautiful person. She runs Tresco with such care for the residents, with love, patience and professional kindness. I have watched her over these years and I have only ever seen her demonstrate the highest possible standards of professional care.

My relative resides on the Tresco Unit at Kenwyn Care Home. Tresco is the dementia unit and my relative has resided there for 5 years. The nurses and staff have always shown genuine care and support, not only to my loved one but also to myself where there have been times of sadness or change. The catering staff are also an integral part of the team. The food and service is very good. I find that I can approach any member of staff on Tresco, from the nurses to the fantastic care teams and have any concerns dealt with or answered. In all circumstances, I have never felt that I cannot approach anyone that either works on Tresco or in Tresco and speak freely to them all. Everyone is courteous, caring and thoughtful and my loved one and I feel very much part of the Tresco family.

How likely would you be to recommend Barchester Kenwyn Care Home? Likely

Very happy with the care that my mother has received over the last 12 months. The staff are brilliant as is the food. Large rooms with en-suite. Everything is clean. Our family visits range from early morning, afternoons and evenings and on different days of the week. Staff are always friendly and chatty but always putting the resident first. Nothing but praise for them all from the time we enter the front door. Thank you Kenwyn.

My friend went to live at Kenwyn Nursing Home to be near to her family in Cornwall. She spent 14 months there before she sadly passed away. Despite her medical condition she was always cheerful. Whenever we spoke on the telephone she often told me how kind and considerate she found the people who cared for her. This was so important to me as I live 300 miles away and could not visit regularly.

I have nothing but praise and thanks for the staff at Kenwyn who strived to make her as comfortable as possible and always had time for a friendly chat. I would not hesitate in recommending Kenwyn Nursing Home for their care and commitment to their residents.

Activities: Don't Know

Annette Russell, General Manager at Barchester Kenwyn Care Home responded to this review on 12 Oct 2017:

Thank you so much for your kind words I will ensure that your comments are passed to the team.

My partner has only been at Kenwyn for 3 weeks. To date, I am very happy with how he is getting along. I feel confident when I leave him that he is well cared for.

Annette Russell, General Manager at Barchester Kenwyn Care Home responded to this review on 02 Oct 2017:

Thank you for your kind words I will ensure that your thanks are passed onto the team.

Up to present date the service/care given has been very good, would like more ongoing medical condition information.
More staff needed. Not many around during staff lunch time

Annette Russell, General Manager at Barchester Kenwyn Care Home responded to this review on 27 Sep 2017:

Thank you so much for your kind words I will catch you on your next visit to discuss those areas that are not to the standard we expect.

My husband is being exceptionally well looked after by a lovely team of people. They make me feel confident that he is getting the best possible quality of life despite his serious disabilities.
He particularly enjoys going out into the gardens in his wheelchair whenever it is sunny.
The food is really nice and the staff encourage him to eat regularly and sensibly.
I am so glad that there was a bed for him.

Thank you so much for your positive comments we really appreciate them I will ensure that your thanks and praise are passed on to the whole team.

The staff are very caring and have a good rapport with residents and relatives. It would seem that more staff are required. This becomes obvious at meal times when staff are assisting residents who cannot feed themselves. If any resident requires other assistance at this time, i.e. to go to the toilet or any other help, then nobody is available. The resident then becomes quite distressed.
Laundry can be a problem at times as items of clothing go missing for long periods.
I suggest that regular meetings with management and relatives would be a good idea to sort the problems.

How likely would you be to recommend Barchester Kenwyn Care Home? Likely

Thank you for your kind words which I will ensure are passed onto the team.

My husband has been here for 4/5 years and I am completely happy with this home. The food is good, excellent staff and caring staff who make it a happy place to live. I really don't have anything negative to say about the home - perhaps upgrade downstairs in particular bedrooms, but I believe this is happening in the near future.

Annette Russell, General Manager at Barchester Kenwyn Care Home responded to this review on 19 Sep 2017:

Thank you for your lovely comments we are so glad that you are happy with the home the upgrade for memory lane commences in October 2017 which we are all really looking forward to. I will ensure that your comments are passed on to the whole staff team.

I have been a resident at Kenwyn Care Home (one of the Barchester Group) and during that time I have noticed the standards have dropped considerably.
I am a coeliac and diabetic - I do not always receive suitable food to suit my requirements.
Some time ago I was placed on an uncomfortable mattress which resulted in me experiencing very bad backaches.
I have now a bariatric mattress which I hope will alleviate my pain.
The manageress is most unsympathetic on most wants - never visits patients regularly.

How likely would you be to recommend Barchester Kenwyn Care Home? Neither Unlikely or Likely

Food & Drink: Poor

Management: Very Poor

Value for Money: Poor

It was a blessing to me that my dad was cared for at Kenwyn Nursing Home. My dad would always have preferred to remain in his own home, however, Kenwyn, and the care team there made him the most comfortable that I could have imagined him being anywhere, and was like a home from home. The staff at Kenwyn made every effort to ensure my dad enjoyed his time at Kenwyn and cared for him so well. It removed the worry for me as his daughter as I knew that he was receiving such great care. I shall remain eternally grateful for the care, company and love that my dad received from so many of the staff at the home and would not hesitate to recommend anyone looking for a nursing home to select Kenwyn.

Annette Russell, General Manager at Barchester Kenwyn Care Home responded to this review on 08 Sep 2017:

Thank you so much for your kind words and recommendation. We are delighted to know that you were happy with the care and attention received whilst your Dad was at Kenwyn Care Home. I will pass on your comments to the whole staff team who will be thrilled that you were happy with the service they provided.

My husband is being very well cared for by all your dedicated staff.

My sister is very lucky to be a resident in Barchester Kenwyn Care Home. The staff are very caring and nothing is too much trouble. Recently, my sister was admitted to hospital with a respiratory infection, two members of the home visited her there. The rooms are large, well decorated and well maintained. My sister often catches the corner in her room with her wheelchair and the maintenance people quickly repair it. My sister is kept occupied by the activities section and on occasion goes out for the day in home's mini-bus. Best of all, my sister is happy and content at Barchester Kenwyn Care Home.

When I first came here I was at a very low point in my life. Gradually I have become stronger and happier due to the care I have received from Kenwyn staff. There is always a qualified member of staff on each unit. They always inform my case manager of any problems.

From the moment you enter Kenwyn Care Home, you are aware of the fresh, welcoming reception area and very pleasant staff. This continues throughout the unit. The care staff work in such challenging circumstances, physically and mentally. I so appreciate the kindness and care given to my husband and also for the support and compassion given to me. I am on this heartbreaking journey but along the way I have met the most wonderful care staff to whom I shall be forever grateful.

My Mum lived at Kenwyn Care Home for the last 5 weeks of her life. She received the finest care possible, delivered by some very good nurses and carers.
Mum was so well cared for. She was treated respectfully and when mum passed away the staff were so kind to me and my family.

Information from NHS slow to filter to Kenwyn therefore a lack of information concerning mum's needs. Due to staff relations not all staff up to speed on Mum's health needs. Observations would suggest some staff shortages at weekends, although all staff are pleasant and relate to mum.
An information chart discretely displayed (ie. on back of door) would ensure that correct feeding vessels are used and issued. This has also been noted in the dining room. This chart would also inform her daily routine: We have found the nursing and caring staff lovely. Due to lack of dementia mobility mum needs stimulating and is frustrated with her incapacity in terms of bringing like-minded individuals together socially would be beneficial and stimulating.
Great efforts were made at Christmas by the staff.

My father has been in Kenwyn for 18 months following a stroke. He has gradually deteriorated mentally and physically, but through no fault of the home. They have kept him well fed, warm, clean and tidy whilst keeping him entertained within his limits of attention. Early in his stay he was able to go on trips and was regularly taken to church. In a recent illness they organised medical care and kept us informed of progress (as we were abroad).

In the eight weeks since my daughter moved into Kenwyn Care Home she has had the best medical attention she has had for some time, the carers are cheerful and helpful and the management hard working and approachable, always ready to discuss any problems that might arise. She has made friends since she has been in Glendurgen section and she is happier and more settled than she has been for some time.

How likely would you be to recommend Barchester Kenwyn Care Home? Likely

I visit my wife every Saturday alonf with my daughter. My wife is very well cared for at Kenwyn, she is kept clean, well dressed and groomed. The food is excellent and the staff are very professional and caring. We could not wish for a better place than Kenwyn for her to stay.

From my perspective the locations and the grounds are excellent, the fact that the home was purpose built has many positive implications. I applaude and avail myself of the open house visiting policy. This for me is very important, I visit frequently as do friends. My experiences are limited to reception and Treso dementia ward where there is a great family atmosphere which I try to encourage. The nursing staff are most helpful and also facilitate the medical care with dedicated professionalism. The carers are very competent, show extreme patience at times, often go beyond the call of duty, they are the salt of the earth. We would miss them so if they moved on.

The review was helpful and constructive. The review was carried out systematically and thoroughly and careful consideration was given to all matters which were of special concern such as a noticeable change in behaviour. The review lasted some two hours and I left feeling satisfied that my sons needs were understood and were being catered for.

My mother came to Kenwyn at the beginning of January. the initial process was handled very professionally by the Deputy Manager and the move was handled well. The staff are all very friendly, helpful and supportive. I have had issues with the laundry service which needs to be better organised. The staff treat my mother very kindly despite her dementia and frailty. She is checked every 30 minutes to ensure she is ok. The food is good and the staff have now found her portion size which makes eating easier. Overall we are very happy to have found Kenwyn for her.

A great deal of money has been spent on the building and upgrading of rooms etc and not much spent on increasing staffing levels. The rooms were very good before improvements.

How likely would you be to recommend Barchester Kenwyn Care Home? Likely

Excellent home, caring staff and management, very efficient see below ticked boxes.

My mother is always well cared for and feels comfortable whenever I visit her. I feel she had a good Christmas and is contented. Her room is looking a little shabby now and needs decoration and updated with a wet room, hopefully will be done in the near future, but I understand the foyer and corridors are being decorated first. I feel residents rooms should be updated as first priority as that is where my mother spends her life and would have a greater benefit to her.

Submit a Review for Barchester Kenwyn Care Home

Annette

Annette Russell

I have worked within the care sector for the past 32 years with the same company progressing to Home Management in 1995 I have worked in a variety of setting including Dementia care, Mental Health and residential care. My focus as a professional is to ensure the provision of a high quality service to all customers and to ensure that Kenwyn is an enjoyable place to live and work.

Jackie

Jackie Jefferies

Job Title: Sister of Trellisick

Jackie has been at Kenywn for 17 years and is among some of our longest serving staff at the home.

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Barchester Kenwyn Care Home