Ivydene Residential and Nursing Home

Staniforth Drive, Ivybridge PL21 0UJ

Ivydene Care Home is a conveniently-situated Sanctuary Care service, that supports up to fifty-seven elderly people with any particular care needs they have while allowing them to continue with as much personal independence as they feel able.

The home collaborates on a great deal of medical advice, to the long-term benefit of service users, with GPs and physiotherapists among a number of regular visitors who check on residents' well-being.

Iydene is in an excellent Devon location for its occupants to enjoy a number of days out, to national parks or to the seaside, on which family members and loved ones are also welcome.

Group: Sanctuary Care Ltd

Person in charge: Ann Wilding (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Devon County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Voluntary / Not for Profit Owned , Registered for a maximum of 57 Service Users

Facilities & Services: Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Smoking not permitted • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Ivydene Residential and Nursing Home: click here

The Review Score of 9.5 (maximum of 10) for Ivydene Residential and Nursing Home is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.7 out of 5 from 26 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Ivydene Residential and Nursing Home in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 4.8 out of 5 from 9 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.697 for Ivydene Residential and Nursing Home is calculated as follows: ( (222 Excellents x 5) + (73 Goods x 4) + (8 Satisfactorys x 3) + (1 Poors x 2) ) ÷ 304 Ratings = 4.697

The 4.789 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Ivydene Residential and Nursing Home is based on 9 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 11.4 positive Reviews (57 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 9 Reviews ÷ 11.4 Target = 0.789

9.5 Ivydene Residential and Nursing Home has a Review Score of 9.5 (9.486) from 26 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Ivydene Residential and Nursing Home?

Reviewer Connection to Ivydene Residential and Nursing Home

The family are delighted with the care provided.
The staff are excellent.
This is a friendly and well-run care home- we would have no hesitation in recommending it to others.

How likely would you be to recommend Ivydene Residential and Nursing Home? Extremely Likely

We were visiting from Spain and my first impression on entering the residential home, firstly, a secure door so that no one had to wait for entry. Secondly, friendly staff and caring towards all of the home. Not to forget the food, tested hot and lovely. To be recommended.

Ivydene provides just the right package of care and facilities to suit my Dad’s needs. The atmosphere of the place gives it more the feeling of a welcoming small hotel than a care home. The rooms are easily accessible, well decorated, clean, light and airy and the majority have a nice outlook either over the garden or the distant countryside. The food is home cooked and of a good standard and there are often homemade biscuits and cakes available. There are several reception areas and a nice level garden which allow the residents to mingle and move about.
But the staff are what really sets Ivydene apart, they always make time for residents and visitors alike and listen to any concerns. I really admire them for their patience and understanding with the residents.
It is saddening enough to have a relative with dementia, but I am very thankful to know that my Dad is being really well cared for and that I have done the best I can for him in finding Ivydene.

My father has resided here for more than a year and is very happy with his new home. He is treated with care, respect, affection, kindness and considers all his needs are catered for. His health is looked after by professional and attentive nursing staff who appreciate both its physical and mental needs. He is afforded constant consideration to his daily amusements engaging in daily entertainment or watching TV. He enjoys the food provided for him and appreciates the chef and catering staff. On behalf of my Dad, thank you very much for the service you provide.

Some fabulous carers and nurses.

Rooms are good. The home has a good feel, caring staff and very friendly, especially dementia staff. Food is not always age appropriate - I wonder how many residents want vegetarian food, garlic bread and tiramisu?

The most disappointing service is the laundry. Clothes lost, nothing ironed and not put in drawers in any order. Requests not followed - socks in net bag as an example.

How likely would you be to recommend Ivydene Residential and Nursing Home? Likely

Ann Wilding, Home Manager at Ivydene Residential and Nursing Home responded to this review on 20 Nov 2017:

Thank you for your lovely comments about our team. We offer a wide variety of choice at mealtimes with nutritional, home-cooked meat, vegetarian and fish dishes, as well as lighter meals. If our residents don’t fancy anything on the menu our chef is very happy to prepare something different. We also plate presentation dishes to enable our residents to see the choices on offer. In terms of the laundry, we ask that items are labelled but I will of course discuss your concerns with the team.

My wife has been at Ivydene for some two years. It is by far the best home I have seen in the area; modern and purpose-built. A highly professional care home. The staff are numerous, friendly, caring and perhaps above all they treat the residents with consideration and respect.

We are so impressed with everything about Ivydene Nursing Home and could not fault it in any way. The staff are caring and show endless patience and kindness towards my father-in-law and all of the residents. The activities coordinator plans a wonderful selection of entertainment, ranging from bingo, a Spanish afternoon, donkey visits, puzzles, handicrafts and music quizzes from certain eras.... the list is endless. The dining room is beautifully presented, with a daily menu and excellent food. The 'suites' are sunny, clean and have pleasant views. The staff keep us informed of any developments or GP visits, which we really appreciate. There is a wonderfully happy atmosphere whenever we visit the home and the gardens are Quite simply, we truly believe Ivydene is the best Care/ Nursing Home in the entire country. Indeed, we often say it's more like a 5-star hotel. We cannot praise the staff and management more highly and would recommend Ivydene to anyone looking for care.

From my very first visit to Ivydene I have found all the staff to be very helpful and attentive.
They are always ready to listen to residents and visitors. They show interest and every kindness regardless of any time pressures they may be under.
It is difficult for anyone to see their relative with dementia but the staff and atmosphere at Ivydene make the situation at Ivydene as comfortable and uplifting as possible. I am confident that my fathers care needs are being more than met.

Our mother was admitted for palliative care having suffered a catastrophic heart attack. She was in Ivydene for five weeks before she died. She was treated with dignity, kindness and friendliness at all times by the staff. Any queries regarding her health or care were answered as soon as was possible and ensured Mum was not in pain. Every member of staff we met during that time was helpful and responsive. The atmosphere in the home is positive and upbeat.

Whilst every member of staff was positive, kind, compassionate and friendly towards Mum and to us as a family, the exceptional quality of the senior nurses gave us peace of mind and comfort at a tremendously difficult time in our lives. Though when complimented, the reply was "I am just part of a team". Yes; a fabulous team at that.

To anyone who is struggling with the idea of entrusting your nearest and dearest to a care home... we would, from our experience, thoroughly recommend Ivydene. They really do 'care'.

Staff were civil, polite and caring. Various minor accidents showed them to be attentive and apparently well-trained.
Activities for residents were generally well considered and attended, encouraged by staff. Meals were appreciated by out relative.
Although "teatime" looked uninspiring and uninteresting.
Management staff were well in control and always helpful.

I could not have been more pleased for my dad, as it was the nearest I could get him to going home.
We could not be any happier with the level of care and service my father received from every member of staff.
The management, reception, nursing, all carers young and older, male and female, night and day, cleaning, catering, maintenance, activities and the lovely ladies in the laundry room all played a huge part in making the last three months of my father's life as good as it was possibly going to get.
My father had Vascular dementia, I found the caring team to be knowledgeable and understanding of all the last stages of my father's dementia. This made my family and I feel comfortable in leaving him in the home and in safe hands.
Most of all, Ivydene Care Home felt like home, the staff were like a family and included us as though we were part of their family. It made a very difficult time a lot more bearable.
A huge, massive big thank you to all at Ivydene. x P

My Mother spent just over two weeks at Ivydene Residential Nursing Home receiving palliative care. During her time there the care she received was outstanding. As a family, it was important to us she spent this time in as a comfortable environment as possible. We could not have wished for better. The staff were always friendly and helpful and we never felt unwelcome at whatever time we turned up or stayed until.
We were impressed with the management on the premises. Never at any point did we feel uninformed about mother's condition. The building itself was clean and tidy and was bright and airy.
If anyone is looking for somewhere to receive nursing care I would confidently recommend Ivydene Residential Nursing Home.

Walking into the care home I was greeted with a very warm atmosphere, the carers very happy and helpful, even the chef comes out to check if the residents meals were OK, a nice touch. The place is bright and sunny with a nice garden residents can sit in, overall a very nice place.

My 100 yr old vascular dementia suffering mother has been managed very well at home for over 10 years (diagnosed severely mentally disabled in 2002). However it was agreed we could no longer continue to give her the quality of care she deserves. I myself am well into my 8th decade and although I'd always promised never to 'put her in a home' I felt I had no choice. I had been to Ivydene, plus several other Care homes, in early March but immediately recognised that Ivydene was the one for Mum. She went with almost violent reluctance but the reception was so kind, caring and appropriate she finally went in like a little lamb. After a somewhat difficult few days (for all) she has now settled extremely well thanks to the wonderful staff and management. She has had her first shower in years and her finger nails are beautiful. I have complete confidence in them and would unhesitatingly recommend Ivydene to anyone unfortunate enough to need such care.

My wife was in this care home for 2 years. The last month end of life care was made special by the love and care of the staff. My wife died 21/2/16 had MS and vascilar dementia. The care at this home for every resident is exceptional all the staff from the youngest to the oldest where so caring and compassionate. My wife felt at home and with dementia relied heavily on staff for daily routine. I cannot speak to highly of this home, and got to know the staff like extended family. Thank you.

My wife spent her final week in Ivydene Care Home. I am so grateful to all the staff there. They all worked as a team but 3 people stand out. I could not have wished for a better place form wife to be in. So much love, compassion and respect was shown by all. I am so blessed to have met them all. Thank you.

My mum was in Ivydene for a week in October 2015 for respite care, she was very hesitant at first but came home with nothing but praise for the home and the staff. She then returned in November 2015 but sadly passed away on December 6th 2015. The staff there were so compassionate and caring, so respectful. The manager was lovely nothing was too ,much trouble and the nurse was outstanding, polite and compassionate and one of the carers was just an angel. My mum just loved her. We are so very grateful and blessed to have had such a team looking after mum.

My dear sister-in-law moved into this wonderful home after a really bad experience in a previous home. The manager and staff are marvellous, kind, caring and helpful. My sister-in-law settled in there so well, and was looked after in every way expertly. Unfortunately my sister-in-law got sick and passed away while at the home, but the staff looked after her right to the end in a caring and sensitive professional way. This home is marvellous. Thank you

We could not have hoped or wished for a better place for our Mother to spend the last part of her life.
The staff are professional, caring and kind, this combination is so very precious.

Thank you to the Ivydene Team for all your hard work and care, we are truly grateful.

The staff at this home have been excellent in the care of my aunty, the nurse was always there to give a hug when things were bad and the lady at the reception desk was always smiling and gave a warm welcome. The one person that was outstanding was the lady that stayed with us and supported us right up until the end with a hug. When the time came and my aunt passed away she was outstanding every day when I went there the whole staff always took the time to give a cheery hello, it is a very warm and inviting place to be and we cant thank the manager and her staff enough.

I would like to say my Aunt went into Ivydene to be looked after because she was dying of cancer. On the day of her death a lovely lady was there being supportive and kind as she had been all through my aunts care. On the night she died a young lady was there helping and supporting me, her kindness was amazing, also the manager and the lady on reception desk always had a welcome smile.

The care and compassion shown by staff to my father who was admitted in the final stage of his life was exemplary. We were always greeted with a cheery smile and kept informed.

My father-in-law was admitted to Ivydene for end of life care. Although he was there for only two weeks, in that time I was very impressed with all the aspects of Ivydene that I witnessed, in particular the ethos and welcome, care and support for residents and their families, and the quality of the staff were all excellent. My father-in-law could not have been better cared for in his last days.

We couldn't have found a better place for my brother-in-law to spend his last few days, the staff cared for him as if he was a member of their family, went beyond the call of duty, gave my sister support and comfort.

I can not put into words the praise that I have for ALL at Ivydene, from the moment you step into this wonderful place you feel at home it is so friendly and warm, the staff go above and beyond every single day to make sure the residents are treated as if they are royalty, I am so thankful that my husband had the privilege to be part of this wonderful place during a very difficult time in his life, they also were wonderful to me and my family that visited, the dignity, the compassion and the love given was priceless !
I would have no hesitation in recommending this wonderful place to anyone.
Thank you again to you all at Ivydene from the bottom of my heart you are all stars!

Submit a Review for Ivydene Residential and Nursing Home

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Ivydene Residential and Nursing Home