Barchester Tyspane Care Home, Braunton, Devon

Tyspane Care Home is situated on the North Devon Coast with panoramic views across the Taw Estuary. Purpose built, Tyspane House is set in its own beautiful landscaped gardens within walking distance of the old village of Braunton and close to the glorious beaches and rugged countryside of Exmoor.

They provide first-class 24-hour nursing and residential care and also offer respite care and short breaks and cater for people with Multiple Sclerosis and those who have a physical disability.

A team of highly qualified staff really focuses on the individual needs of residents with a tailored care plan for each person. Their dedication can be seen right across the board - in cooking, hospitality and activities programmes for residents.

You'll find they're ideally suited to meet your needs now and in the future.

Please feel free to visit and see for yourself what they have to offer.

Group: Barchester Healthcare Ltd

Person in charge: Monica Watterson (General Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Devon County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 69 Service Users

Registered Care Categories*: Old Age • Physical Disability • Younger Adults

Specialist Care Categories: Cancer Care • Cerebral Palsy • Epilepsy • Head/Brain Injury • Hearing Impairment • Huntington's Disease • Motor Neurone Disease • Multiple Sclerosis • Parkinson's Disease • Speech Impairment • Stroke • Visual Impairment

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Day Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Physiotherapy • Independent Living Training • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Residents Kitchenette • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Barchester Tyspane Care Home: click here

posted 30 Oct 2017

We currently have limited availability. Please contact us to discuss your needs further, we would love to welcome you for a visit.

9.5 Barchester Tyspane Care Home has a Review Score of 9.5 (9.485)

The Review Score of 9.5 (maximum of 10) for Barchester Tyspane Care Home is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.6 out of 5 from 25 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Barchester Tyspane Care Home in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 4.9 out of 5 from 12 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.615 for Barchester Tyspane Care Home is calculated as follows: ( (210 Excellents x 5) + (63 Goods x 4) + (18 Satisfactorys x 3) + (5 Poors x 2) ) ÷ 296 Ratings = 4.615

The 4.87 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Barchester Tyspane Care Home is based on 12 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 13.8 positive Reviews (69 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 12 Reviews ÷ 13.8 Target = 0.870

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Barchester Tyspane Care Home?

Reviewer Connection to Barchester Tyspane Care Home

• Mother of Resident/Service User

My mother has been a resident at Tyspane for nearly 3 years. My brother, sister and myself are extremely happy with the care that she receives, and my mother always tells me how happy she is there. She thinks of it as her home. The food is excellent, the entertainment is wonderful and my mother is happy with everything. I visit at various times of the day and on different days, and the staff always welcome me, are always happy and smiling albeit they are always rushed off their feet. The benefit of additional staff would make the staff's lives a little easier as no matter how short they are, they always make time to their own detriment, not to the detriment of the residents. Excellent in every way.

How likely would you be to recommend Barchester Tyspane Care Home? Extremely Likely

Helen Whitehead, Administrator at Barchester Tyspane Care Home responded to this review on 03 Oct 2017:

Dear Mrs B,

Thank you for your lovely comments they will be very much appreciated by all the staff.

Our sister-in-law was at Tyspane for end of life care (terminal lung cancer) for some months. Throughout her time at Tyspane everyone treated her with kindness, compassion and professionalism. They respected her individually and allowed her to retain that and her personal dignity to the very end. As we moved around Tyspane on our regular visits, we were always struck too by how warm and friendly everyone was - there was a lovely atmosphere there. When her final days came we were so grateful to be with her for the final days and nights and for all the support that we and she were given, so that she was able to be calm and comfortable in her final hours. We were very touched by how the staff clearly care about, and for, her and highly recommend Tyspane.

Helen Whitehead, Administrator at Barchester Tyspane Care Home responded to this review on 06 Sep 2017:

Thank you for taking the time to review our home and for your lovely comments they are greatly appreciated. It was a privilege and a pleasure to have known and cared for your sister.

My aunt suffered a stroke and she lost her speech and mobility. She was fiercely independent and always wanted to stay in her own home. After hospital and rehabilitation, she needed nursing care. As her next of kin I searched for a nursing home and found Tyspane. My aunt soon settled in and I will always be grateful and thankful to the staff at Tyspane. The care was exceptional. All the staff were caring, helpful and went that extra mile for my aunt. My aunt was always clean and well presented as she could do nothing for herself. Tyspane is a warm, friendly, caring, happy place. My aunt sadly passed away. The staff were wonderful and helped my family at a sad time.

Monica Watterson, General Manager at Barchester Tyspane Care Home responded to this review on 28 Jul 2017:

It was a pleasure to look after such a lovely lady and her loving family. Thank you.

My brother was in Tyspane from May 2016 until April 2017 when he sadly passed away.
He was very happy there once he had settled in.
He was treated at all times by all the staff from every department with care, consideration and dignity.
I always found them very helpful and considerate.
I spend a lot of time away and it gave me a clear conscience to know that he was well-cared for.
Even the management sending me texts when I was away and he was unwell, informing me of his condition that day.

My father, aged 93, has recently had two periods of respite care at Tyspane following a couple of heavy falls. He has received some excellent care including some intensive physiotherapy that has helped him to regain some confidence in walking again.
The overall improvement in his well-being has now enabled him to return to his bungalow where he wants to be.
I am most grateful to the staff at Tyspane for their professionalism, kindness and assistance to my father during this difficult period.
Thank you again for your assistance in the various issues we were facing in this instance.

I am delighted with the outstanding support and care my mother is receiving from all the staff and management at Tyspane. I am the only surviving relative and live 200 miles away from the home so I'm very reliant on the staff, all of which have provided outstanding support for my mother.

I have the utmost praise for all carers, nurses, food and hygiene, staff and of course administration and management. My husband's time at Tyspane Care Home was sadly short but I know it was the best care he had received in that time. The carers are all so friendly and will also take the time to ask about the feelings and well-being of the relatives. It was much appreciated and I can't thank them enough.

The best testament that I can give Tyspane is to tell you that my husband always considered that he was in a hotel with everyone well and truly looking after him.
All the staff were kind, considerate and very thoughtful for his needs - at all times. They are a very dedicated unit - not only to the residents but their families also. I cannot speak too highly of them.

My dad spent his last month in Tyspane Care Home following an unexpectedly short illness. The majority of the nurses and healthcare assistants gave my dad loving, compassionate care. One agency nurse, in particular, was one of the kindest most empathetic people I have ever met. Overall the care my dad received was fantastic.

Tyspane Nursing home is a very caring home, mum has been there for year and a half now and she has come on so very well.
All the staff are all so very helpful and nothing is too much trouble. It takes a special person to be a carer and they're all lovely here. There are always things going on, lots of keep them occupied. The manager runs it very well. She always has a smile on her face, made you feel very welcome.

I spent 2 weeks in Tyspane after having a hip replaced first in January and then in August because I had no relatives living near.
I had a very comfortable room in a well run establishment. A wide choice of excellent food, well presented and with wine. Personal care was provided - a most respectful manner. My laudry was done and room and bathroom cleaned daily. Finally but not least, I has physiotheraphy every day which gave me confidence to get back on my feet and start using my new hips.

I rate the home as good to excellent in all categories. I visit my wife, who has severe Alzheimer's almost daily and have done so for over four years. The management and staff are always caring, approachable, friendly and courteous. Any concerns I have are dealt with quickly and efficiently. I fully understand the difficulties but have noted on some visits, particularly at weekends and bank holidays, there have been an apparent shortage of staff and like most care establishments, agency staff have to be employed, who, whilst caring, put more pressure on the permanent staff on duty and do not know fully the requirements of the residents. Living on my own at 80 years of age, my visits to my wife and the home have become a great help to me, as I socialise with the staff and some of the residents, who I have known for much of my life.

Understaffed during the week and very understaffed at weekends. Bank nurses don't know enough. Found certain staff very rude and uncaring. Rooms are drab, needs redecorating. Clothes kept going missing, even though labelled clearly.

How likely would you be to recommend Barchester Tyspane Care Home? Neither Unlikely or Likely

Care / Support: Poor

Cleanliness: Poor

Management: Poor

My mother spent the last eleven weeks of her life here. The care she received was second to none. She was made to feel welcome, safe and comfortable. Her wishes were respected and the staff were cheerful, professional and very caring to my mother and to my father when we visited. We were all supported through what was a very difficult time.

I would like to compliment all the staff who shows such care to my 52-year-old daughter with M.S all the staff regardless of position show her such commitment, and interest in my daughter, which helps her so much in retaining a cheerful outlook in life. Today I attended a physio class in the lounge, where the physio shows such enthusiasm, dedication and does a fantastic job. I looked around and saw 20 senior people all trying to use a hand or leg and with a sparkle in their eye having fun. The entertainment manager and physio are forming a choir for Christmas. What a wonderful way to keep them all motivated. Awake and alive and interested. I hope I end my days in such a caring place.

Well, what can I say, I've ticked all the right boxes!! But I must add that I can only say on behalf of my daughter's 3 daughters, her sister, her partner and myself (dad), that the care and attention she was given during her time spent at Barchester Tyspane Care Home was excellent in every respect. And I would also like to add that we found when visiting my daughter, all the staff here were very, very supportive to us at all times. Thank you all so much.

My mother, who was 97 years old, occasionally went to Tyspane Nursing Home for respite care when my husband and I were away from home. She always enjoyed her stays there and commented on the care and attention she received. I got to know several of the staff very well. On her last visit, she had a massive heart attack. The local doctor was already with her as she had mentioned feeling unwell. Everything that possibly could have been done was but unfortunately, she died. The staff at Tyspane were wonderful - both to mum and to me.

-Amazing staff.
-Good building.
-Great care.
-Not so good some nights.
-Food started okay and went downhill to fairly awful.

Food & Drink: Poor

Overall Dad received very good care. His physical needs were well catered for. We were pleased with the staff's approach to the care offered to Dad: which we considered to be considerate and professional. The home seemed to have a positive welcoming atmosphere, particularly in the communal lounge and dining areas.

My dad wasn't in Tyspane for very long, about 5 months. He had cancer, and as it was inoperable. We knew what the outcome would be. The whole time he was there he was happy, cared for by people who couldn't have done more for him if he had been their own dad. At the end, he died two hours before his eighty-seventh birthday. They were compassionate beyond belief. My mother is a resident there now and I know for a fact, there is no better care she could get, anywhere.

As you see I was only here for a short time having had a hip replacement but I found the staff so helpful, kind and caring and always smiling!

Tyspane does all it can to maintain and improve the quality of life for it's residents. I was impressed with the frequent contacts made by staff with residents and the speedy response made to any call for assistance. There is a wide range of activities available at Tyspane itself; trips to outside venues are also arranged where this is appropriate. I am glad that my friend was able to spend the last 8 months of her life at Tyspane.

My husband was a resident for only three months, during which time he seemed very happy there and formed a very loving relationship with some of the staff who understood his dementia problem and treated him very sentimentally. I visited him every afternoon and obviously wasn't able to monitor hour by hour caring, but from what I saw everything appeared to be first class. Unfortunately my darling husband passed away unexpectedly a few weeks ago. The staff, form the senior members to all the nurses and carers were very kind during that awful time. I hold Tyspane in great esteem. It is a pity that the very high fees prohibit more people from experiencing this care home. They are the highest in the area.

I have a lot to thank Tyspane for, my husband was admitted in July. He has health and mobility issues and we had a very difficult and sad situation to cope with in Devon. The home is happy and caring and my husband was always treated with respect and dignity. The medical support was excellent and Tyspane arranged for a full psychiatric review which resulted in a change in his drugs and my husband is now a lot better. He was moved back to the midlands last week and it was with regret he left the excellent home.

My daughter aged 51 has very bad M.S and was in need of complete nursing care. Since moving to Tyspane in August 2015, she has blossomed, gained confidence and is very happy and very busy, even though she cannot stand/walk and is hoisted everyday, she cannot swallow with ease and often chokes, her dietary care is well provided for. The care she gets, enables her to live a full and contented life, with quality and dignity. I no longer cry when I leave her, as her condition has saddened me greatly. I now know she has good care and she is happy.

Submit a Review for Barchester Tyspane Care Home

April 2013

Monica

Monica Watterson

Joined: 2014

I have been nursing for the past 30 years and have mainly been in Elderly care and acute general nursing. This has provided me with a broad knowledge base, and has involved the development and utilisation of management, leadership, administrative, educational and clinical nursing skills.

I have come from a charity home managing a 90 bedded home and had been with them for the last 17 years.

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Barchester Tyspane Care Home