Cann House

Tamerton Foliot Road, Tamerton, Plymouth PL5 4LE

Owner: Premiere Health Ltd

Person in charge: Samantha McTaggart (Matron/Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Plymouth City Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 62 Service Users

Registered Care Categories*: Old Age • Physical Disability

Weekly Charges Guide: (These prices are only a guideline, please contact Cann House to find out the exact price for your requirements.) Nursing Care Single £410 – £560 (These prices are only a guideline, please contact Cann House to find out the exact price for your requirements.)

Facilities & Services: Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Cann House: click here

6.5 Cann House has a Review Score of 6.5 (6.528)

The Review Score of 6.5 (maximum of 10) for Cann House is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 3.5 out of 5 from 4 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Cann House in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 3.1 out of 5 from 1 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 3.447 for Cann House is calculated as follows: ( (16 Excellents x 5) + (11 Goods x 4) + (5 Satisfactorys x 3) + (8 Poors x 2) + (7 Very Poors x 1) ) ÷ 47 Ratings = 3.447

The 3.081 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Cann House is based on 1 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

1. 3 = 3

2. Target of 12.4 positive Reviews (62 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 1 Reviews ÷ 12.4 Target = 0.081

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Cann House?

Reviewer Connection to Cann House

A fantastic care home, with lovely caring professional staff. It's not an easy decision to make picking a care home. I picked Cann House after viewing a lot of others. I felt the feel and surroundings suited my dad. I would recommend anyone to view as many homes as possible and go with gut instinct. Since being here my father has settled and joins in with the many activities that are provided. All his needs are being met and after a severe stroke, there are many.

How likely would you be to recommend Cann House? Extremely Likely

My dad lived here for 18 months. We raised a concern to CQC. I agree wholeheartedly with the new CQC report.
Some of the staff were excellent. The manager was the main problem.
Hopefully, now there is a new manager in place and things will improve.

How likely would you be to recommend Cann House? Extremely Unlikely

Overall Standard: Poor

Care / Support: Poor

Treated with Dignity: Poor

Activities: Very Poor

Management: Very Poor

Safety / Security: Poor

Value for Money: Poor

My mum was admitted for end of life care. The staff were absolutely amazing. I cannot even begin to say how impressed, we as a family were with their loving care towards my mum. Sadly mum passed away this week. We would never have been able to cope without them. We would definitely recommend this home for anybody needing a friendly, kind and supportive environment.

How likely would you be to recommend Cann House? Extremely Likely

Kate Wells-McCulloch, Registered Manager at Cann House responded to this review on 01 Oct 2016:

Thank you for your kind words. I am so glad that we were able to help your mum, and your family with the care she needed, and I hope that this made her passing a little easier for your family.

Mum was admitted at 10pm - disturbing her room mate. I visited several times. When I asked mum's nurse to help me find a wheelchair a patient called to her and the nurse rolled her eyes up begrudging and went to attend her first. This same nurse was on the reception desk when I got my mum out - she said she wished she could leave too!
I overheard other carers complaining about a patient, blaming her for wetting the bed. I saw carers sitting on mums room mates bed grumbling about wishing to go home. The social worker had to toilet the room mate as her emergency bell went unanswered. Another nurse was completely unhelpful when I questioned mistakes in mums medication - just told me to ring her GP. Mum died 3 days after leaving the home - another massive stroke. I think she would have been safer at home.

How likely would you be to recommend Cann House? Extremely Unlikely

Staff: Very Poor

Management: Poor

Rooms: Very Poor

Value for Money: Very Poor

Kate Wells-McCulloch, Registered Manager at Cann House responded to this review on 02 Aug 2016:

I am sorry to hear that you were unhappy about aspects of care when your mum was admitted to Cann House. I apologise that I didn't have the opportunity to meet with you to discuss your concerns during your mum's admission, or prior to discharge. The care of the people who live at Cann House is paramount to me, and I investigate all complaints in accordance with Organisational Policies and Procedures. Any form of bad practice is not tolerated.
If you would like to discuss your concerns in more detail please either write to me at Cann House, or alternatively you can email me, or I am happy to meet with you at a mutually agreeable location. I would also like to offer our Condolences regarding your mum. I look forward to hearing from you.

Submit a Review for Cann House