Abbey View Nursing & Residential Home

Fairfield, Bristol Road, Sherborne DT9 4HG

Abbey View Nursing & Residential Home, Sherborne, Dorset

Abbey View is ideally located in the historic English country town of Sherborne and is only a few minutes walk from the Abbey, the old town and its amenities. Abbey View offers tasteful comfort in a warm and friendly setting.

From the welcoming reception area to the spacious lounges and dining room at Abbey View the comfort of residents is paramount. The fully equipped hairdressing salon is a favourite with the ladies and the garden area is popular for a gentle walk. A variety of specialist bathrooms including the luxury of a hydrotherapy bath are available for the residents to enjoy.

Together with excellent care and health-related services, Abbey View residents enjoy a wide range of activities and themed days organised by the owners to make for an enjoyable day-to-day lifestyle.

Group: Colten Care Ltd

Person in charge: Jo Ellis (Home Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Dorset County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 52 Service Users

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Smoking not permitted • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Bar/Cafe on premises • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

Abbey View is easily accessible by car. If you are using a GPS or route finder system to get to the home, enter the home's postcode DT9 4HD. The home has its own small car park that can be accessed from Bristol Road, follow the road right to the end and you will see the entrance to the home.

First Western service Sherborne and the surrounding areas. Services are frequent and there is a bus stop situated on Coldharbour Road.

The nearest train station to Abbey View is Sherborne, located just 0.58 miles from the home. South West Trains operate direct routes from this station to London.

At Abbey View, there are no specific visiting hours, all that is asked is that you let the home know you are in the building by signing into the visitors book, if outside of Reception hours, just ring the bell and a member of staff will enable your visit.

Abbey View has its own car park just outside the front of the home. If you know when you are planning to visit, get in touch and a space can be saved for you.

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Abbey View Nursing & Residential Home: click here

posted 17 hours ago

Nursing & Residential

9.7 Abbey View Nursing & Residential Home has a Review Score of 9.7 (9.671)

The Review Score of 9.7 (maximum of 10) for Abbey View Nursing & Residential Home is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.7 out of 5 from 14 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Abbey View Nursing & Residential Home in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 5 out of 5 from 11 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.671 for Abbey View Nursing & Residential Home is calculated as follows: ( (116 Excellents x 5) + (47 Goods x 4) + (4 Satisfactorys x 3) ) ÷ 167 Ratings = 4.671

The 5 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Abbey View Nursing & Residential Home is based on 11 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 10.4 positive Reviews (52 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 11 Reviews ÷ 10.4 Target Reached = 1

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Abbey View Nursing & Residential Home?

Reviewer Connection to Abbey View Nursing & Residential Home

The overall ambience is excellent. All staff are competent, caring and friendly.
I know my sister is well looked after.

How likely would you be to recommend Abbey View Nursing & Residential Home? Extremely Likely

Visiting to see a resident every day for a week.
It is home from home - all residents are happy and taken great care of.

Our mother was only in the home for 6/8 weeks and in that time she was treated with great care and dignity. Nothing was too much for the staff especially in their patience and the time they spent reassuring my sister and myself. We couldn't have asked for a better ending for our beloved mother.

Dad has the most amazing support at Abbey View. All the staff are compassionate and caring. He is treated with the utmost respect and dignity at all times. I feel that everyone knows him and understands his needs as well as his preferences. Hospital visits have been organised for him with appropriate transport. Suitable carers for him and where multi-appointments have been required, they have liaised with the hospital to consolidate them where possible. I have always been kept informed and encouraged to go with dad where necessary. Meals have been served to us both early and late as necessary. His sister, a more recent resident, has been treated in an equally similar way. Her health has improved beyond our expectations and she is really able to enjoy life again. She has also had continuity of care with her pre-existing medical needs. Minibus trips are a great success and where dad has missed several consecutively, was given priority. I, as a daughter and niece, I have had nothing but support and guidance from Marton and the medical staff with things being explained so I can also help dad and aunt.
I am made to feel like one of the "Abbey View Family"

I am very happy and comfortable. I feel safe and looked after.
If I feel depressed, I think it is just the situation of having left my home of 60 years in a village I loved. The on whole, I am a glass half full person.

How likely would you be to recommend Abbey View Nursing & Residential Home? Likely

My aunt decided she could not stay in her own home after a series of falls.
My Sister-in-law and I spent some time looking at care homes in Yeovil and the surrounding area.
Abbey View had just been refurbished and looks splendid. We liked the staff and were shown around. Everything looked clean and the interior design was excellent.
We wanted the best for aunty, somewhere she could be happy and comfortable. Abbey View ticked all the boxes! Staff are always cherry and ready to help, nothing is too much trouble and aunty is "happy"! So we are too.

My experience has been one of kindness and a caring attitude by all members of staff. From carers to information staff, to assistants of all branches.

My friend has been living at Abbey View for the past two years during which time I visit her frequently. She is extremely happy and content and very well cared for. Over the past two years I have got to know many of the staff and find them so very friendly and kind, nothing is too much trouble for them to do. They are caring and gentle, and I know that when the time comes for me to require care, it will be Abbey ViewNursing and Residential Home that I shall go.

I am able to socialise if I wish or be in my room if I want privacy and my own company. I am able to receive guests whenever I wish. I think the mattress I have makes me rather hot at night.

Friendly, attentive, always a smile. Very good at keeping relatives updated with situations. Very well run. If they want to get involved very good social activities.

My mother moved to Abbey View last year when her previous nursing home was closed unexpectedly. Initially we had a few issues regarding her care and well being but after a meeting with the Manageress these were quickly resolved.
To date my mother's health has improved .
I am impressed with the care taken over my mother in her appearance. Clothes match , hair beautifully put up in a bun (as she would do herself if able) a touch of make up. She looks like her old self.
My mother has become more sociable, joining in with activities the home offers. I particularly like the musical entertainment and miss the Big Scrabble that was a regular event (sadly not played anymore due to illness.
When I leave after visiting my mother I feel happy knowing that in the absence of her family she is being well looked after.
Thank you .

I have visited my father in Abbey View every day for the past 7 months. He had moved here after 2 1/2 years living with us. We thought the staff were just amazing and that includes everyone who had contact with us as a family. Both my parents have been residents at different times and on both occasions we have had nothing but praise and admiration for the genuine care and attention to details given to my parents. All I can finish with is a messaged of deep gratitude and thanks for making his last months so valuable. Thank you.

My husband moved to the above home when the home he was in closed at the end of November. My husband was made very welcome and comfortable at Abbey View, and I couldn't praise them enough. Sadly my husband passed away on the 29th January, he was paralysed down one side and was unable to speak. I really felt he missed his old home where he had lived for nearly five years. Nevertheless, I am sure there were some good days at Abbey View, despite new faces everyday and his inability to converse with them. My advice is don't close a home unless it is really necessary.

My Mum has been a resident in Abbey View for nearly a year now, and we are all extremely pleased with her care. She settled in to Abbey View very quickly, and it is definitely “peace of mind” for me and my sister to know that Mum is being so well cared for.
The staff are always willing to help and to advise, and nothing is too much trouble for them – we never feel that we are being a “nuisance”. All of the staff are always very polite, friendly, thoughtful and caring. They work quickly, but very efficiently – and they treat Mum with great respect and dignity.
I always find Abbey View to be extremely clean and tidy. It has become like a second home to me, Mum and the rest of our family. And a lot of the staff have become our friends. I have already recommended Abbey View to other families, and will continue to do so.

Submit a Review for Abbey View Nursing & Residential Home

Please avoid using names and enter a minimum of 200 and maximum of 1,000 characters - Currently 0 characters.

Recipient: Colten Care Ltd

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Abbey View Nursing & Residential Home