Canford Chase

40 Western Road, Branksome Park, Poole BH13 6EU

Canford Chase is situated in the select area of Branksome Park and is within easy reach of the award winning beaches of Poole and Bournemouth. Set in a secluded peaceful garden it offers five star luxury accommodation for fifty two residents.

Canford Chase is situated in the grounds of large secluded garden with easy access, mature trees and various seating areas. The tastefully furnished reception with seating area adjoins the extensive ground floor lounge with large flat screen television. The spacious dining room overlooks the grounds and garden. On the first floor the quiet lounge gives on to two balcony areas. The large and airy lounge on second floor provides additional television viewing facilities. The Home has is own fully equipped hairdressing salon, and a selection of specialist bathrooms including a hydrotherapy bath.

Group: Colten Care Ltd

Person in charge: Charlotte Wilson (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Borough of Poole Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 55 Service Users

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Physiotherapy • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Smoking not permitted • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Residents Kitchenette • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

Canford Chase is easily accessible by car. If using a GPS or route finder system to get to the home, enter the home's postcode BH13 6EU.

Wilts & Dorset operate regular bus services in the Poole area, all routes and timetables can be found on their website.

Branksome Train Station is just under 1 mile from the home.

At Canford Chase, there are no specific visiting hours, all that is asked is that the visitors book is signed, if outside of Reception hours, just ring the bell and a member of staff will enable entry.

Canford Chase has its own car park just outside the front of the home. When planing a visit please get in touch and a space can be saved.

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Canford Chase: click here

The Review Score of 9.8 (maximum of 10) for Canford Chase is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.8 out of 5 from 32 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Canford Chase in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 5 out of 5 from 18 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.794 for Canford Chase is calculated as follows: ( (308 Excellents x 5) + (63 Goods x 4) + (6 Satisfactorys x 3) + (1 Poors x 2) ) ÷ 378 Ratings = 4.794

The 5 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Canford Chase is based on 18 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 11 positive Reviews (55 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 18 Reviews ÷ 11 Target Reached = 1

9.8 Canford Chase has a Review Score of 9.8 (9.794) from 32 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Canford Chase?

Reviewer Connection to Canford Chase

• Respite Resident/Service User

I have been extremely well looked-after during my 2 and a half weeks stay here. The food is excellent and the choice of meals is appetising. My clothes are laundered daily and returned quickly top marks to all concerned.

How likely would you be to recommend Canford Chase? Extremely Likely

The staff are all wonderful. Everyone seems to care about the residents. The only downside is how expensive it is and therefore how quickly my mother's capital is being used up.

Tim Wookey, CCL at Canford Chase responded to this review on 08 May 2018:

Thank you for your kind review and indicating that you would recommend Canford Chase. We acknowledge your point about expense but we do strive to provide value for money - we have very high standards for which there are associated costs. Colten Care homes have a very straightforward approach to our weekly fees to help families budget - we don't have any 'hidden' costs and we don't have any 'administration' fees, like so many other operators.
We also note that you rated our Activities/Companionship team as 'satisfactory'. We strive to achieve excellent in all areas so we will be in touch shortly to discuss your feedback in this area.

Very pleasant surroundings, comfortable rooms. Excellent dining room, service and food nicely prepared, and adequate meals, free drinks.

How likely would you be to recommend Canford Chase? Likely

I have been nursing for over 45 years in a NHS senior position and I can honestly say the standards of care exceeded my expectations. This was a very difficult time for the family as my mother was at the end of her life. From day one all the care she received was exceptional from all staff we encountered. Her care plan was developed to meet her changing needs and ours. Staff clearly enjoyed their work and showed integrity, care for our family and true professionalism. I would have no hesitation recommending Canford Chase, the standard of care is truly excellent.

How likely would you be to recommend Canford Chase? Extremely Likely

My husband was a resident in the home before he died in December 2017.
During this time I visited him at least 3 times a week and had lunch with him.
During this time I couldn't help noticing what excellent care and attention both to body and soul he was receiving.
I was so impressed that after his death I moved into Canford Chase myself (I am 87 years old and have no close relatives or friends) and I am now extremely happy to be a resident.
So well looked after that my one ambition in life is to spend the rest of my days here being made to feel very relaxed, safe and happy by all staff including and especially the Matron.

How likely would you be to recommend Canford Chase? Extremely Likely

Staff are treating mother extremely well 100%.

How likely would you be to recommend Canford Chase? Extremely Likely

Good experience. Food could be better.

How likely would you be to recommend Canford Chase? Likely

Excellent stay. Staff all very helpful and kind.

How likely would you be to recommend Canford Chase? Extremely Likely

From the warm welcome on my arrival to help me settle in, my friends and I noticed how very kind everyone is. Nothing is too much trouble. There is always someone to talk to or to ask if I am unsure about anything. It amazes me the variety and quality of activities that are laid on and my friends are always welcome to join in. The food is wonderful. I enjoy the quality and variety. I feel really well looked after here and m happy with the care I receive.

How likely would you be to recommend Canford Chase? Extremely Likely

My mother initially came into Canford Chase for respite care but three months on she is now a permanent resident and a different person. She enjoys the many activities, outings and entertainments. Although her mind gets muddled, she is treated kindly and spoken to nicely. Everyone greets her by her name. The activity staff are wonderful and encourage participation. She has gained some weight eating excellent meals. I would have no hesitation in recommending Canford Chase. All visitors are made very welcome. Thank you to ALL the staff at Canford Chase.

How likely would you be to recommend Canford Chase? Extremely Likely

This is my first experience as a resident. I have been very pleasantly impressed. I doubt any future homes I need could be better than Canford Chase.

How likely would you be to recommend Canford Chase? Extremely Likely

What my brother-in-law is experiencing is very good. I can't imagine him living him anywhere else. I knew of the home as I have a friend there and noticed how happy she is there and I knew that this was the best place for my brother-in-law. There is no comparison. My brother-in-law's son came over from South Africa and he was very impressed with the home and the care. So far no complaints.

How likely would you be to recommend Canford Chase? Extremely Likely

I have in the past and will certainly recommend Colton Care in the future. Having volunteered for nearly ten years and became a resident for four weeks after leaving hospital.

How likely would you be to recommend Canford Chase? Extremely Likely

My father was a resident in Canford Chase for two months. He was 96. The standard of care he received was exemplary. He was treated with great dignity and respect right until the end. His medical needs were always seen to. All the staff were extremely supportive. I often felt he was their only resident. They always took the time to be there for him and for me. I and my late mother who sadly passed away during those last two months. I will always be eternally grateful for everything Canford Chase did for him. Thank You. I always had peace of mind he was being looked after.

How likely would you be to recommend Canford Chase? Extremely Likely

The staff have been fantastic.
They are friendly, extremely helpful and polite.
My mother has thoroughly enjoyed herself during her month's respite care at Canford.

How likely would you be to recommend Canford Chase? Extremely Likely

We have found the staff to be welcoming, friendly and caring. A nice personal touch; know everyone including family on first name terms. They appear to enjoy their work. Facilities are excellent, immaculate, cleanliness and attention to detail e./g fresh flowers and papers. The gardens are beautifully maintained providing a lovely environment for residents to relax and enjoy nature. Daily activities/entertainment is varied and inclusive. The food is of good quality and the dining staff are kind and attentive.

How likely would you be to recommend Canford Chase? Extremely Likely

I am impressed with all aspects of this care home. It feels like a 5-star hotel. The residents are looked after with the utmost care. The nursing is good and the activities throughout the day are stimulating and well organised. My aunt is very well looked after and appreciates the care she receives. She enjoys the delightful garden and the excellent food and catering. As a visitor, I feel very welcome and enjoy coming here. I cannot praise this home highly enough.

How likely would you be to recommend Canford Chase? Extremely Likely

I would not hesitate to recommend Canford Chase as I was very happy there.

How likely would you be to recommend Canford Chase? Likely

The best nursing and care. Excellent food provision, choice and service as well as "top notch" activities and trips/visits out. Also, constant thought and reinvestment in the lovely garden and premises is much appreciated. I view them all as my second family. Thank you.

How likely would you be to recommend Canford Chase? Extremely Likely

My wife has been here for the last 2 weeks. So far, we have found the facilities to be excellent.

How likely would you be to recommend Canford Chase? Extremely Likely

Both of my parents moved into Canford Chase together.
Mum had Alzheimers and was at the end of her life, dad also needed care and support due to a disability following a stroke. The end of life care and kindness given to my mum was outstanding. She could not have been cared for better. The support and care given to my dad throughout and following mum's death, have been brilliant. He has settled exceptionally well and nothing is too much trouble. The staff, without fail, always act with kindness, dignity and respect. The activities are brilliant. Dad says the food is excellent and family and visitors are always welcomed. Outstanding.

How likely would you be to recommend Canford Chase? Extremely Likely

A beautifully run care home that I would recommend to anyone.

How likely would you be to recommend Canford Chase? Extremely Likely

Frist - my wife's stay allowed me to have an operation. Secondly - I was able to recover from my operation with a stay at the home. (With my wife). I found the home to be excellent.

How likely would you be to recommend Canford Chase? Extremely Likely

The whole family, including residents, have always been treated with the utmost of respect Highly recommended this care home, its management and all staff. The recent refurbishment has certainly brightened up all rooms and common areas and makes them easy on the eyes.The external visits and birthday celebrations certainly add to the welcoming atmosphere at Canford Chase.

How likely would you be to recommend Canford Chase? Extremely Likely

The staff swiftly assessed my mother and took her in after she was made temporarily homeless after a fire in her block at her house. She received a great welcome and a welcoming hug. The staff went out of their way to make mum feel at home. The food was delicious, plentiful and tailored to mums desires. The activities to her liking but most important of all the staff very attentive. Thank you.

How likely would you be to recommend Canford Chase? Extremely Likely

I lived in a sheltered accommodation for 18 years as I needed more care. My friends have advised me to come to Canford Chase Nursing Home because they came for respite before.
Over here I find I get more support, the staff are very friendly and caring.
I am in the process of selling my flat, soon when I will sell it and I will consider Canford Chase as my home.

How likely would you be to recommend Canford Chase? Extremely Likely

Felt secure and very well looked after by all staff. Carers very gentle. Nothings too much trouble.

How likely would you be to recommend Canford Chase? Extremely Likely

Everything is very good. The nurses and carers did everything they could to help my wife. They did feed her and make her comfortable, more during the last 6 to 8 weeks. Nothing was too much trouble for them, even though, on occasions, she refused their help.

The staff are lovely people and everything they provided for her was first class and if I asked for something, it was always provided.

How likely would you be to recommend Canford Chase? Extremely Likely

I am a fit 77 year old widow. I had a fall on 20th May 2016, whilst attending a social function meeting at 4pm (No alcohol or food involved) this fall resulted in a right hip fracture and I had surgery at Bournemouth Nuffield Hospital. I came to Canford Chase nursing home on 3rd June 2016 and departed 24th June to return home. My care has been of the highest standard and I have no hesitation in recommending this nursing home.

How likely would you be to recommend Canford Chase? Extremely Likely

Everything first class, staff excellent good care, pleasant people, rooms very good, always ready to help.

How likely would you be to recommend Canford Chase? Extremely Likely

Canford Chase offers an open and pleasing residence of a high standard at all levels of care for 54 ladies and gentleman. The rooms are well maintained offering comforting d├ęcor and unsuits. The communal areas are spacious and bright but can feel crowded at times when busy with wheelchairs and frames. Staff on all levels are to be commended for their service 24/7 creating a calm and happy atmosphere and quality meals, activities and excursions.

How likely would you be to recommend Canford Chase? Extremely Likely

My godmother has been in two other homes. The first care home chosen by myself became unsuitable due to her increasing care needs. The second chosen by social services was ok but Canford Chase was my 1st choice once I got P.O.A. It feels like a nice friendly hotel. All staff are welcoming and friendly. The rooms are clean and smart. My godmother is getting great care. Family and friends are encouraged to come in for lunch anytime (with 24 hours notice) I can honestly say the food is excellent. They are very organised and label all clothes within minutes of giving new items to them using smart iron on labels. I have no faults to say at all, well done Colton Care!

Submit a Review for Canford Chase

posted 09 May 2018

Nursing & Residential

Recipient: Colten Care Ltd

Recipient: Colten Care Ltd

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Canford Chase