Grevill House

279 London Road, Charlton Kings, Cheltenham GL52 6YL

Grevill House, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire

Grevill House is a fifty capacity care home located in Cheltenham, dedicated to person-centred methods and offering quality care for older people and a wide range of nursing needs.

The Orders of St John Care Trust, a care charity and provider, are respected in the care sector for a flexible range of care provision, making the most of voluntary sector contributions in order to help vulnerable adults achieve a more dignified lifestyle.

Carers respect clients from all backgrounds, support an active and fulfilling lifestyle, and a nutritious diet, while maintaining strong local links.

Group: The Orders of St John Care Trust

Person in charge: Joseph Caine (Home Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Gloucestershire County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Voluntary / Not for Profit Owned , Registered for a maximum of 65 Service Users

Specialist Care Categories: Epilepsy • Hearing Impairment • Huntington's Disease • Motor Neurone Disease • Multiple Sclerosis • Orthopaedic • Parkinson's Disease • Speech Impairment • Stroke • Visual Impairment

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Day Care • Respite Care • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Smoking not permitted • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

Latest CQC* Report on Grevill House: click here

9.6 Grevill House has a Review Score of 9.6 (9.576)

The Review Score of 9.6 (maximum of 10) for Grevill House is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.6 out of 5 from 26 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Grevill House in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 5 out of 5 from 14 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.576 for Grevill House is calculated as follows: ( (194 Excellents x 5) + (80 Goods x 4) + (18 Satisfactorys x 3) + (3 Poors x 2) ) ÷ 295 Ratings = 4.576

2. 1 point is available for reaching a target number of Positive Reviews based on 20% of the number of registered beds. If the target is partially reached then that proportion of 1 point is given. eg a Care Home with 50 registered beds has a target of 10 Positive Reviews, if it has 10 or more Positive Reviews it will receive 1 point, if it has 7 reviews will receive 0.7 points.

The 5 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Grevill House is based on 14 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 13 positive Reviews (65 registered beds ÷ 5). 14 Reviews ÷ 13 Target Reached = 1

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Grevill House?

Reviewer Connection to Grevill House

• Nephew of Resident/Service User

After a spell spent in hospital it was deemed my partner required care home nursing. How lucky she was in being accepted by Grevill House. The love and care she received could not, in my opinion, have been bettered. During our many visits, we always received a welcoming reception from management, nurses, carers and others who contribute to the benefit of residents. May I on behalf of family and friends express our sincere thanks to one and all.

How likely would you be to recommend Grevill House? Extremely Likely

As my husband is in bed mostly - the staff always seem pretty good at coming in regularly to turn him which I'm pleased about. Although my husband is unable to join in things, from what I've seen, the carers seem to go all out to make the most of special occasions eg. Birthdays, Halloween and Remembrance. The only small complaint, the room could do with a freshen up but this is secondary to care, which is good.

How likely would you be to recommend Grevill House? Likely

My 87 year old father has been resident at Grevill House since a May 2016, he has numerous conditions affecting his general health and mobility. He is reliant upon the use of a wheelchair to move about and has two forms of early dementia. His conditions worsened dramatically at the beginning of 2016, he was hospitalised after several falls and there was no way he could return to his home, where he lived alone. It was a difficult decision for him to make at the time, however, he was at the end of his tether and realised he could not return home.

He was initially placed in Grevill House for one month from hospital and we immediately saw a massive improvement in his well-being. He is fully funding his life at Grevill House, but there was not another option.

My father is now happy, safe and as well as can be expected. He is being looked after by an exceptional group of professional people at Grevill House and whilst there may be more modern Care Homes in the area none will be better staffed.

How likely would you be to recommend Grevill House? Extremely Likely

Our family were greeted with kindness and upmost respect at a very sad time as my husband's brother went there for end of life care, on his passing the staff on duty were fantastic, we are a large family and we were provided with refreshments all day from arriving at 9.30am until we left 10pm ish. Excellent management and very caring staff who all looked very smart. When he did pass he was treated with upmost dignity, respect and care.

How likely would you be to recommend Grevill House? Extremely Likely

So pleased with the care at Grevill House. Staff are highly skilled, kind and nothing is too much trouble for them who are always warm and welcoming.

How likely would you be to recommend Grevill House? Extremely Likely

Staff are very welcoming and caring. It took a little while for them to deal with my husband as he cannot talk after a stroke, but soon with their sense of humour and 6th sense they managed. The room was spacious but intolerably hot this month. Very hard to get a really cold drink- however we cannot fault the dedication and professionalism of all staff. Thank you for making my husband and myself feel at home.

Food & Drink: Poor

Joe Caine, Home Manager, Grevill House at Grevill House responded to this review on 05 Aug 2016:

Thank you for taking the time to send in a review of Grevill House. I am pleased that you were happy with the care and support we provided during his short stay with us. In terms of food and drink, I am sorry that this did not appear to meet your expectations. We do our best to cater for all tastes, taking account of dietary preferences and will always offer an alternative if desired, and it appeared that your husband had a good appetite and ate well. With regard to activities, our dedicated activities coordinator organises a full programme in consultation with residents, getting to know their preferences as they settle into the home over a period of time. I can, however, appreciate that sometimes it is not possible for individuals to take full advantage of this, particularly when with us for a relatively short time.

My aunty was taken into Grevill House, suffering from C.O.P.D, during the time she was there all of the staff were faultless, nothing was too much trouble for them. Also they were friendly and helpful towards me, answering any questions I had. All I can say is the staff are brilliant. You hear of bad homes, but this is one of the best. They made a difficult time for me easy, as my aunty was my last relative,

How likely would you be to recommend Grevill House? Extremely Likely

My stay in Ashley House has been a real pleasure and therapy towards my recuperation. The management and staff have been wonderful in nursing and caring for me, beyond the call of duty and have helped me so much on my road to recovery. I cannot praise them enough. The joy having a very pleasant room to myself has been a big part in my recovery also, sheer bliss after sharing a big ward!!

How likely would you be to recommend Grevill House? Extremely Likely

A very friendly and helpful environment, always treated with care and consideration.

How likely would you be to recommend Grevill House? Extremely Likely

An incredible experience of excellent care and service. Amazed by the professionalism of all the staff and the tender care demonstrated during my father's stay before his passing. I was overwhelmed by the warmth and caring that staff showed my father and all our family. I have told friends and family of the wonderful experience and would be happy to share details to anyone who wants to know about Grevill Care Home.

How likely would you be to recommend Grevill House? Extremely Likely

I was given a warm welcome on arrival. I found that nothing was too much trouble and help was given on the spot or arranged for advice and help from another person (eg. doctor, nurse, manager, physiotherapist). I like the idea of the board by the door giving a general summary of 'abilities' and of help to be given. It has been very difficult not being able to use a mobile phone because of the lack of a signal. I have missed being able to contact the outside world. I was impressed with the easy availability of the manager and staff.

How likely would you be to recommend Grevill House? Extremely Likely

Overall the facilities, staff and accommodation are excellent. However , food at times could be a lot better.

How likely would you be to recommend Grevill House? Extremely Likely

Throughout my stay at 'Ashley Intermediate Care Centre' I have received excellent care, love and affection towards my recovery. The staff at all times were helpful and friendly.

How likely would you be to recommend Grevill House? Extremely Likely

There was no vacancy at another care home, in Burton-on-the-Water, when my sister needed full-time nursing care. When offered the room at Grevill House I had no hesitation in accepting it as I had already known a resident who had been very happy and well cared for during her stay there.
I cannot speak too highly of the staff of Grevill House for the care and attention given to my sister.

Reluctantly, my sister has moved to the other Orders of St John Care Trust nursing home, where our sister-in-law is also a resident and is being well cared for. This now enables me to visit both relations at the same time and relieves me of travelling unnecessary mileage.
Both care homes are under the Orders of St John Care Trust which have very high reputations for looking after residents in their care. As my sister is deaf and relies on a hearing aid she stayed in her room; therefore, she was unable to participate in the activities I noticed arranged for the residents.

How likely would you be to recommend Grevill House? Extremely Likely

I am in the care of Ashley ICC. I have found the staff willing to help and encourage me to push forward in gaining confidence in learning to walk again and respecting and encouraging me to be independent.
I would also like to bring to your attention that the unit leader at Ashley ICC is involved and active in all the daily running of the centre. This reflects in the staff being happy, respectful and willing to go out of their way to make sure all individuals are receiving the best while at Ashley.

How likely would you be to recommend Grevill House? Extremely Likely

Quite happy here, even though I am looking forward to going home. Staff are lovely and always very prompt answering the call bell. Treated with dignity.

How likely would you be to recommend Grevill House? Extremely Likely

I find that the manager is not very pleasant he doesn't speak when he sees you. I've never even had a "Hello" from him. Also it would be nice if the visitors could make themselves a hot drink especially when its cold outside.

How likely would you be to recommend Grevill House? Likely

Joseph Caine, Home Manager at Grevill House responded to this review on 18 Jan 2016:

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. With regard to your comments, there appears to be a communication issue and I would like to ensure that any misrepresentation is addressed at the earliest opportunity. To that end, I will be in touch to arrange a meeting next time you are in the home. We have an open door policy here at Grevill House and visitors are welcome to meet up with me to discuss their concerns at any time. I have witnessed my staff on many occasions offering visitors a warm drink and I am not sure why this did not happen on this occasion. To make drinks more accessible and to meet the need for visitor refreshments we are in the process of installing a refreshment station in the home.

All very kind to me. Nothing too much trouble. Lovely room, makes you not want to go home.

How likely would you be to recommend Grevill House? Extremely Likely

I received a warm welcome from a member of staff and from then on excellent care and attention from all. The physiotherapist here is excellent, nursing also and help is on hand at all times. From feeling really poorly, with the attention and intake of very good food, within a few days I was anticipating returning home. This is a very good home.

How likely would you be to recommend Grevill House? Extremely Likely

During my short stay I was looked after with care and humour.

How likely would you be to recommend Grevill House? Extremely Likely

After a fall at home I was admitted to hospital and transferred here to convalescence. The experience and care has been good. I should have had better from the NHS after paying for forty odd years for help and care which did not appear after a long time. I think one deserves some care after long service to the educational system of this country.

How likely would you be to recommend Grevill House? Likely

I was looked after by excellent carers and staff after an operation on my left foot (non weight bearing for 10 weeks) Everyone very kind especially night staff and the hairdresser!

How likely would you be to recommend Grevill House? Extremely Likely

All staff determined to for the right thing as well as possible, all very polite and civil. Day staff could so with two more nurses and night staff with one more. All very kindly and helpful.

How likely would you be to recommend Grevill House? Extremely Likely

My mother was welcomed into Grevill House only 12 days before she died. The care she received was first class throughout her stay. The staff at all levels received and treated mum amazingly well, with great kindness and sensitivity. The home manager was on hand and very helpful, even helping with the transfer from Stroud Hospital. With regards to activities my mother didn't get out of bed for the duration of her stay, so I couldn't comment.

How likely would you be to recommend Grevill House? Extremely Likely

I cannot fault anything in the time that my mother was at Grevill House. The level of care and kindness was excellent and nothing was too much trouble for the staff and managers. They made a stressful time much easier to bear.

How likely would you be to recommend Grevill House? Extremely Likely

I think it is absolutely marvelous. I stayed at a place before but this is far better. The staff are absolutely fantastic. You couldn't wish for better. I feel very comfortable here. No trouble whatsoever. Everyone is really kind.

Submit a Review for Grevill House

Please avoid using names and enter a minimum of 200 and maximum of 1,000 characters - Currently 0 characters.

Joe

Joe Caine

Joined: 2012

The residents of Grevill House and the clients of the Ashley Intermediate Care Centre are looked after by two highly dedicated teams of over one hundred staff that include nurses, carers, administrators and ancillary staff. The Ashley Intermediate Care Centre provides rehabilitation and enablement for people that are discharged from hospital but who are not quite ready to return home. They are supported by a multidisciplinary team from the local NHS Trust.

Joe Caine has been the manager of Grevill House since July 2012 and has worked for the Trust since 2009. Joe has over 40 years’ experience as a Registered Nurse (adult) and as a Registered Mental Health Nurse. He spent approximately 19 years teaching nurses and was a senior lecturer in mental health nursing. He then went on to work in the independent care sector and worked at both senior management and home level.

Following qualification as a registered mental health nurse he worked as a staff nurse and as a charge nurse in a large Victorian Mental Hospital. During this time he embarked on his teaching career. First qualifying as a clinical nurse teacher and then gaining a certificate in education and progressing to become a registered nurse tutor and then a senior lecturer in mental health nursing.

In addition Joe has studied for an undergraduate degree and a post graduate degree. He possesses A Bsc (Hons) 2:1 degree in Sociology and a Masters Degree in Mental Health Nursing Studies. Joe has maintained his skills and competencies in adult nursing over time whilst working for a nursing agency and working in other care homes. He has worked as an operations manager and also for a brief time as a regional manager with a smaller provider.

Joe sets high standards of conduct and performance for himself and bring a wealth of knowledge and expertise to his current role. He is proud of his achievements and is constantly striving to deliver person centred care and in doing so promoting and developing the skills of his team.

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Grevill House