Barchester The Manor Care Home

Haydon Close, Bishops Hull, Taunton TA1 5HF

Barchester The Manor Care Home, Taunton, Somerset

Situated on beautiful grounds on the edge of Somerset, professionals provide first-class 24-hour nursing and residential care in a modern purpose-built home. They also offer support for people with complex care needs. Alongside this, they have services for people with physical disabilities.

A team of highly-qualified and attentive staff really focus on the individual needs of residents with a tailored care plan for each person (including spinal and brain injuries, or other neurological conditions). Their dedication can be seen across the board - in their cooking, hospitality, housekeeping, front of house team and not least of all their professional and experienced Nursing Care Staff. In addition to this they are very proud to have a dedicated team which includes, physiotherapy who work alongside an enthusiastic recreational crew providing a holistic approach to person centred care.

They look forward to welcoming you to the Manor so that you can experience first hand, just how wonderful a place they are and how ideally suited they are to meet your needs now and in the future.

Group: Barchester Healthcare Ltd

Person in charge: Susan Flowers (General Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Somerset County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 86 Service Users

Registered Care Categories*: Old Age • Physical Disability • Younger Adults

Specialist Care Categories: Cancer Care • Cerebral Palsy • Colitis & Crohn's Disease • Down Syndrome • Epilepsy • Head/Brain Injury • Hearing Impairment • Huntington's Disease • Motor Neurone Disease • Multiple Sclerosis • Muscular Dystrophy • Neuropathic • Orthopaedic • Parkinson's Disease • Prader-Willi Syndrome • Profound & Multiple Learning Disabilties • Speech Impairment • Spina Bifida & Hydrocephalus • Stroke • Visual Impairment

Languages Spoken by Staff (other than English): Filipino, Chinese - Cantonese, Arabic, Lithuanian, Portuguese, Romanian, Albanian, Chinese - Mandarin

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Day Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Physiotherapy • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

The Manor can be found easily just off the Silk Mills Road. Turn into Bishops Hull Hill from Silk Mills and then turn immediately right into Haydon Close.

Residents love to see family members and friends. Visiting is not restricted.

There is a generous cark park on site. Disabled parking is available immediately next to the front door.

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Barchester The Manor Care Home: click here

posted 12 Jan 2018

We currently have limited availability. Please contact us to discuss your needs further, we would love to welcome you for a visit.

9.4 Barchester The Manor Care Home has a Review Score of 9.4 (9.427)

The Review Score of 9.4 (maximum of 10) for Barchester The Manor Care Home is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.6 out of 5 from 19 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Barchester The Manor Care Home in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 4.9 out of 5 from 15 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.555 for Barchester The Manor Care Home is calculated as follows: ( (143 Excellents x 5) + (69 Goods x 4) + (13 Satisfactorys x 3) + (2 Poors x 2) ) ÷ 227 Ratings = 4.555

The 4.872 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Barchester The Manor Care Home is based on 15 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 17.2 positive Reviews (86 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 15 Reviews ÷ 17.2 Target = 0.872

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Barchester The Manor Care Home?

Reviewer Connection to Barchester The Manor Care Home

• Grandson of Resident/Service User

I'm so thankful my daughter found this extremely caring and lovely home for me. My room has become my home where friends and family may come and spend as much time as they want with me and we're not a bother to anyone as we are self-contained.

It's kept very clean each day and the bathroom also for which I'm extremely grateful. The cleaning staff are a very loving team and works so well together as do all the staff in their various fields which of course gives a very happy and caring atmosphere to the home. Food is varied with multiple choices so no-one need have something day after day unless they choose to. With the window to the floor, it gives so much light to the room and with the heavy curtains which are lined gives the warmth and blackout one needs at night. I am so thankful I can end my time here.

How likely would you be to recommend Barchester The Manor Care Home? Likely

Susan Flowers, General Manager at Barchester The Manor Care Home responded to this review on 12 Jan 2018:

Thank you for sharing your positive impressions of The Manor Care Home. I look forward to passing on your positive comments to our team.

Very warm and comfortable facilities with friendly staff. Well and truly looking after my grandma.

How likely would you be to recommend Barchester The Manor Care Home? Extremely Likely

Susan Flowers, General manager at Barchester The Manor Care Home responded to this review on 12 Jan 2018:

Thank you for taking the time to review our care home. I am thrilled to hear how highly you rate The Manor. I look forward to feeding back your comments to our dedicated team.

Having been some three months at The Manor Care Home, I am very pleased to write in appreciation of everything I have experienced. Individual accommodation is well appointed and maintained. Public areas are attractively furnished and decorated. The highest standards of cleanliness apply throughout. Personal laundering is efficient and of very high quality. Varied and carefully chosen menus are well prepared and presented. Personal choices can usually be met if a menu really does not appeal. All staff consistently show thoughtful care, friendly courtesy and great patience and good humour with residents often suffering serious physical or mental failure. I can think of no occasion when some complaint has been justified. The Manor Care Home is to be very strongly recommended.

Susan Flowers, General Manager at Barchester The Manor Care Home responded to this review on 19 Dec 2017:

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of living at The Manor Care Home. I am delighted to hear how pleased you have been with the environment, the dining experience and the staff. I will certainly be sharing your comments with our team. We hope you have many happy years at The Manor!

Furniture and fittings are like those of a luxury hotel. The staff are caring and friendly. I was taken to the dentist by my carer in my electric wheelchair in the homes fully equipped wheelchair bus. The availability of a cheerful full-time physio is a bonus.

I am very happy with The Manor Care Home for my mother. Helpful and caring staff, lovely location and surrounding, ensuite rooms - good size.
My mum has been here for 5 years and she is happy. Her health needs have always been helped and met. Good food. My mother is very happy here. She is bed ridden but enjoys the happy and friendly environment.

My wife moved into The Manor August 2016. She was somewhat confused, to begin with, but every member of staff expressed concern for her constantly taking any opportunity to make her feel safe and comfortable. That has continued every day and my wife is happy and has made friends with all staff. Myself, I feel happy knowing she is in a caring, friendly home.

The Manor provides very comprehensive care. The staff are caring and kind, the environment internally and externally is really pleasant. I am very happy with the care and all is well.

I love coming to Barchester The Manor Care Home. Everybody is amazing, kind and friendly. I love meeting new friends and I think everyone there has their own personality. :) 10/10.

How likely would you be to recommend Barchester The Manor Care Home? Likely

I am very happy at Barchester The Manor Care Home, the staff are my friends.

The Manor is first class at the moment the carers and staff have done a great job in supporting my wife. I ask the staff every day how she is and they update me. They have done an amazing job in healing a pressure sore she has had - I am very pleased. The food I can't fault or the care - it's fantastic. I am proud to say my wife is at The Manor.

A lovely home. The staff here are very kind and caring. They feed us well and have physio which is great, they take us out on the minibus to different places and are always doing different fun days. The manager and deputy are nice and funny. The nurses are very kind and helpful. The kitchen is good too but it's the carers who sell it for me. They look after us very well and our friends. They are always busy doing something but also always make time for us.

Very pleasant home and grounds and areas where residents can spend time together. All staff very kind, helpful and friendly. Entertainment provided very enjoyable.

Rebecca Archer, General Manager at Barchester The Manor Care Home responded to this review on 07 Feb 2017:

Thank you so very much for the kind review you have given us.
It is a pleasure to be able to take care of you and your family. If there is ever an area in which you think we can improve on then please let us know. I will pass on your kind comments to the staff who will very much be encouraged.
Kind Regards Rebecca Archer General Manager

It's not just December, but all year round. That my wife is looked after exceptionally well at The Manor. Their love and devotion is second to none. I live 17 miles away and there is a care home in my village and other nearby, but I don't think they come close to The Manor.

Rebecca Archer, General Manager at Barchester The Manor Care Home responded to this review on 31 Jan 2017:

Thank you so very much for the fantastic and kind review that you have sent. I am so pleased to hear that your wife is looked after so very well. It is a pleasure to look after your wife and to get to know you and your extended family so very well. We have our resident forum this week if you are free to join and I would very much like to gather your opinion on how we can achieve a good or excellent on our safety and security especially. I have a staff meeting this evening and will pass on your very kind comments to them. They will be greatly encouraged. My Kindest Regards. Rebecca Archer General Manager

We are happy with the care needs and care provided. We are always happy and content when we come to visit. Carers always assist at meal times. The staff always speak to us and are always polite and professional. We are always made to feel welcome. Décor looks nice and has a homely feel.

Value for Money: Poor

Rebecca Archer, General Manager at Barchester The Manor Care Home responded to this review on 27 Jan 2017:

Thank you very much for your review of The Manor. We are so pleased to hear that you are happy with the care given. I will pass on your kind comments to the staff who will be greatly encouraged to hear such positive comments. Looking forward to seeing you again soon. My Kind Regards. Rebecca Archer General Manager

A nice home, with nice staff. Good food, sometimes too much food. All are very caring. Always room for improvement, such as more day trips, special events. Still awaiting therapy bike which was promised a few months ago.

How likely would you be to recommend Barchester The Manor Care Home? Likely

Rebecca Archer, General Manager at Barchester The Manor Care Home responded to this review on 20 Jan 2017:

Thank you so very much for your kind review. I am pleased to say that we have now another full-time member of activity staff joining our team which will enable us to have more trips and special events. Our next special event will be on the 28th Jan 2017 from 12 - 4 where we have an open day with live entertainment and a cream tea. Our therapy bike has now been ordered and we are waiting for its delivery. I am so pleased to know that you enjoy the food and the facilities within the home. I will pass on your kind comments to the team and once again thank you for providing such positive and helpful feedback. Kind Regards Rebecca Archer - General Manager

This care home is outstanding. The manager is wonderful and has taken such good care of me and my wife. I cannot fault her and the team. They have helped me with applications for funding and written letters, put me in touch with professionals and have always come when my wife needed them. I cannot thank them enough for their kindness. They deserve so much more recognition and I am truly grateful. They go through my wife's care with me every month and keep me updated with how she is. The manager even gave me a Birthday card and a little cake as we have no family. They truly care about everyone.

Rebecca Archer, General Manager at Barchester The Manor Care Home responded to this review on 04 Jan 2017:

Thank you so very much for your kind review. I am so pleased to know that the care you and your wife are receiving means so much to you. Thank you for all your support to us in the home, we appreciate you both. See you soon. Rebecca

A fantastic care home in the most beautiful surroundings. The home has recently been refurbished and offers outstanding nursing care. Although the upstairs unit has not yet been decorated, it is the quality of care that is the best. The new manager is very friendly and kind and her deputy is very knowledgeable about the home. You can hear lots of laughter around the home. It's nice to see that staff treat residents as equals. My relative is so well looked after. Has recently put on weight, has plenty to do and has all her needs met. I will soon be booking my room.

Rebecca Archer, General Manager at Barchester The Manor Care Home responded to this review on 16 Aug 2016:

Thank you so much for taking the time to review us and for the very kind comments made. It is a pleasure to look after your loved one and if we can be of any further support to you as a family, please do come on in and see us. I will pass your kind comments to the staff and thank them for their hard work. Warm Regards. Rebecca Archer - General Manager.

I am still in The Manor but I have been in various caring establishments. I used to work in security.

Staff: Poor

Excellent home - shame about the cost. Should be free to all the mature people.

Submit a Review for Barchester The Manor Care Home

June 2014

Susan

Susan Flowers

Joined: 2017

I am the General Manager of The Manor. I have lived in Taunton for most of my life. I qualified as a nurse many years ago and have since obtained a first class honours degree in nursing practice. I am passionate about my job and enjoy working hard to create a safe, happy home environment for residents, families and staff.

Adriana

Adriana Morcov-Marton

Job Title: Deputy Manager

Joined: 2014

Hello, my name is Adriana and I’m the Deputy Manager here at The Manor Care Home. I began working at the home in 2014 and I’ve been in this post since May 2016. I am a Registered Nurse and I’ve completed my training in Romania, with my specialty being Complex Care, but I enjoy every part and aspect of nursing. I take great pleasure on working here at The Manor along with a fabulous team.

Marc

Marc Chidgey

Job Title: Lifestyle coordinator

Joined: 2012

Hello, my name is Marc, and I have worked at The Manor for over five years. I started off as a Kitchen Assistant and then took an interest in the activities provided and was given the opportunity to transfer teams. I love to spend time with residents just talking and sharing stories. My top priorities are to keep them as active as possible and, most importantly, to make them smile.

Lobeth

Lobeth Tanguanco

Job Title: Registered Nurse

Joined: 2015

I love my job because I can get to know my residents really well, and be with them through all their ups and downs.

Kevin

Kevin Brewer

Job Title: Registered Nurse

Joined: 2014

The best part of my job is helping my residents maximise their independence and to live a full a life as possible.

Tina

Tina Hayes

Job Title: Head Housekeeper

Joined: 1997

I have worked at The Manor for nearly 18 years. I am originally from Liverpool and married with two grown children. I have lived in Taunton for 29 years. I started as a care assistant working on 5pm–10pm shifts while my children were young. I moved on to days when they started school working 9am-2pm and 5pm-10pm shifts on bank. I went onto days working 25 hours a week until my children were old enough for me to go full time, while working as a care assistant I got my NVQ 2 in care. In 2007 I became a senior carer which gave me more of a challenge in my role. In 2010 I was promoted to Head Housekeeper as I wanted more of a challenge “my god it is a challenge which I enjoy.”

Ami

Ami Livesey

Job Title: Divisional Clinical Lead

Joined: 1995

Ami began her nursing career in 2001 after obtaining her Registered Nurse Qualification in Greenwich, London.

Ami chose to work in the Private care sector, and after spending several years gaining experience as a trained nurse joined The Manor in 2006 as Deputy Manager. Ami became the Registered Manager of The Manor in April 2013 bringing with her qualifications in NVQ Level 4 in Management as well as certificates in coaching/Leadership skills

Whereas Ami Livesey and the staff team will seek to ensure that each residents care needs are met, they will also encourage and support residents to retain as much independence as they desire through the provision of a stimulating and pleasant environment where they are free to exercise their right of choice as to their lifestyle.

Catherine

Catherine Johnson

Job Title: Physiotherapist

Joined: 2011

Catherine Johnson

Catherine graduated from Bristol School of Physiotherapy in 1989 and from Exeter University in 1996 having completed a Masters Degree in Health Studies. She has worked primarily in the NS in several Trusts and specialised in rehabilitation, especially neurological. She completed The Basic and Advance Bobath Courses and has worked at and is an accredited user of Functional electrical Stimulation from the National Centre in Salisbury.

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Barchester The Manor Care Home