Barchester Ottley House Care Home

Corporation Lane, Coton Hill, Shrewsbury SY1 2PA

Barchester Ottley House Care Home, Shrewsbury, Shropshire

Ottley House makes the most of pleasant grounds and a versatile interior to provide top quality nursing and residential care, with professionals available round-the-clock and also skilled in care and support for physical disabilities and dementia.

They are proud to be one of the first homes to be accredited as part of Barchester’s 10-60-06 Dementia Care programme, reflecting the enhanced quality of dementia care and improved quality of life experienced by the residents at Ottley House.

A committed team works hard to ensure that all provision is tailored to the individual, while allowing them to make the most of a relaxed and homely atmosphere.

All staff are carefully chosen and well-qualified to achieve the best standards, with the company philosophy focusing on an attentive service that also supports an active lifestyle. Personal interests are encouraged and there is much to enjoy within the life of the home.

The aim is to meet all residents’ needs over the long-term, living up to a reputation for quality that Barchester homes have earned.

Group: Barchester Healthcare Ltd

Person in charge: Davina McLoughlin (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Shropshire Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 72 Service Users

Registered Care Categories*: Dementia • Mental Health Condition • Old Age • Physical Disability • Younger Adults

Specialist Care Categories: Alzheimer's • Cancer Care • Parkinson's Disease • Speech Impairment • Stroke • Visual Impairment

Admission Information: Over 65's. Ages 65+.

Languages Spoken by Staff (other than English): Bulgarian, Polish, Romanian, Tagalog

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Day Care • Respite Care • Separate Dementia Care Unit • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Smoking not permitted • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Wheelchair access • Ground Floor Accommodation only • Gardens for residents • Residents Kitchenette • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Barchester Ottley House Care Home: click here

posted 30 Oct 2017

We currently have limited availability. Please contact us to discuss your needs further, we would love to welcome you for a visit.

9.8 Barchester Ottley House Care Home has a Review Score of 9.8 (9.772)

The Review Score of 9.8 (maximum of 10) for Barchester Ottley House Care Home is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.8 out of 5 from 16 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Barchester Ottley House Care Home in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 5.0 out of 5 from 14 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.8 for Barchester Ottley House Care Home is calculated as follows: ( (152 Excellents x 5) + (38 Goods x 4) ) ÷ 190 Ratings = 4.8

The 4.972 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Barchester Ottley House Care Home is based on 14 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 14.4 positive Reviews (72 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 14 Reviews ÷ 14.4 Target = 0.972

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Barchester Ottley House Care Home?

Reviewer Connection to Barchester Ottley House Care Home

My mother has been a resident of Ottley House for four and a half years. While she has a long stay in hospital we visited several care homes in our areas and we were extremely fortunate and relieved when we learned that Ottley House has a place available for my mum.
The staff at every level, are extremely professional, caring, friendly and approachable. My mum's problems stem from a lack of mobility and extreme old age. The staff are sensitive to her needs and in many instances intuitive, as she cannot always express her wishes. Ottley has a homely and welcoming atmosphere, created by a supportive and caring team.

How likely would you be to recommend Barchester Ottley House Care Home? Extremely Likely

My father moved to Ottley House 3 weeks ago. He, and we have been made to feel welcome throughout this time. The whole team have impressed me in the way they strive to meet his complex and ever changing medical and emotional needs. Managers, admin staff, nurses, careers, housekeepers and handy men are warm and friendly to residents and visitors alike. They genuinely appear to want my father to be happy in his new home and have specialist knowledge and advice to endeavour to achieve this. When a complex medical need recently occurred they liaised with appropriate medical professionals to address the need then called me to update on the situation.
Whenever I leave after visiting my father I feel happy that he is receiving the very best care from the staff at Ottley House.

My mother has been resident at Ottley House, (with severe dementia) for over 4 years and it has gone from an OK place to a wonderful "HOME", where she is loved and cared for, every moment of the day. Never once are her needs taken for granted.
Every time I visit Ottley House I enjoy the friendly and positive atmosphere.
Every single member of staff; whether it is from the manager downwards, or from someone else, they always make you feel that as a team, they are not content to sit on their laurels. They always seem to be striving to improve and better the environment for the residents.

I suppose for us as a family; the most telling proof is when we are actually with mum, (whilst her illness has its challenges) I always find her being kindly and respectfully, ably and professionally cared for, in a way that we could never do.
Just before our father died, he asked us to look after mum and we are very lucky to have found Ottley House, as that is just what they do, fantastically!

A home from home is what you look for when choosing somewhere to look after a loved one and as a family, that is what we feel Mum has on the Ann Carter unit at Ottley House. Although she has advanced Alzheimer's and is unable to speak, she is thriving in so many ways due to the love, care and attention she is given by the staff at the home. All know her by name and she positively beams when they speak to her - a sure sign for us that she is happy and content. The home is extremely well managed and led by a team who are approachable, will listen and more importantly, are prepared to act if necessary. We are also grateful for the support we have been given by the staff, as they seem to know when we might be in need of a little extra TLC. As well as the regular activities, the home often organises special events for residents, their families and the local community and these embody the true spirit of the place - leaving you uplifted with a real sense of a community of care.

My mother has been at Ottley House since January 2017. In 2016, she experienced a great deal of trauma culminating in a stroke. My husband and I chose Ottley House because it was calm yet busy, had several garden areas, was one-storey and felt like a home. My mother took a while to settle in but Ottley House has now become her home.

In her lucid moments, she clearly appreciates the staff, giving them radiant smiles. Her obvious needs are very well catered for - but Ottley House does more than this. The level of care, the dignity with which each resident is treated, the humour shown by carers, nurses and managers, the encouragement and information given to families mean that my mother is stimulated and has an excellent quality of life.

In her room, she has many of her pictures and books, her CDs, music player. The family has compiled a file of photographs which are also used by the staff.

I think this is a wonderful place and I am so glad that I managed to get her to Ottley House.

My husband has been a resident on Memory Lane at Ottley House for approximately 18months. I have always found the manager and his staff very approachable and professional and a person to whom I can go to if I have any concerns about my husband's care or any other issues.
I have seen a continued improvement in the quality of care my husband receives and feel I can ask for help or assistance with his needs, the staff are caring and helpful.
I have no hesitation in recommending Ottley House as a place where a loved one will receive excellent care.

My husband has vascular dementia and it took me several years to admit to myself that I can no longer look after him. He has now been at Ottley House for a year. I visit most days. During that time I have seen the very high standard of care, patience and helpfulness displayed by the staff. Carers, regardless of age, take such pride in their very exacting work and I admire them all without exception. The management is friendly, understanding and efficient and when I go away from time to time I never worry that my poor husband is receiving anything other than the best of care. The layout of the dementia wing is simple and uncomplicated.

Having moved my husband from another home where his care was poor, Ottley House is a breath of fresh air. All staff speak saying hello, smiling and know who my relative is. There is a receptionist area where a member of staff is based so again a smile and hello.
My husband's care is wonderful, he is known to the staff who care for him and are aware of his needs. Food and drink plentiful.

My mother is a resident in Ottley House Care Home and has been on the Charles Darwin unit (Memory Lane) for the past three years. She has vascular dementia which requires specialist care. We as a family are very satisfied with how she is cared for and each month there are activities which she is encouraged to join in, the staff at all levels are friendly and compassionate. The home is clean and the food is excellent.

Ottley House has been wonderful to my father and to us as a family, the staff are caring, helpful and kind. We know that if we have any worries concerning my father we can approach the staff anytime day or night, my father couldn't be in better hands and most importantly when we leave after visiting we can leave him knowing he's getting the best of care. Dad has a nice room with his own small en suite. The food is exceptional, the dining room beautifully presented, there are activities daily with a great activities team to entertain the residents. The manager is always available, helpful and approachable. We are sure our father couldn't get better care than he is getting at Ottley House.

My mother has been at Ottley House since August 2015 suffering with Alzheimer's and Dementia. Her journey has been, as most people who have a close relative with this devastating disease know, a long and often rocky road. As a family, we have lived the lows and not so many highs along with her but I can honestly say the staff at Ottley House have supported us every inch of the way, working with us to find solutions to help make mum's life safer, healthier and happier.
The manager has an 'open door ' policy and I have certainly taken advantage of that, he is true to his word. As problems arose with mum as they invariably do with this type of illness, the staff have kept me fully informed.
The care staff are always kind and attentive and the program of activities is varied and delivered by enthusiastic carers who really brighten the residents' day.
I can honestly say there is a genuine feeling of belonging to ' The Ottley Family'.

My mother has dementia and is in the Memory Lane unit. From the moment mum joined the unit I have been satisfied that she is in a safe and secure environment with guaranteed 24/7 care. All the bedrooms are on the ground floor allowing residents to walk freely from their bedrooms to the lounge and dining area. There is always staff on the unit supervising the residents. The care and nursing staff are all professional and friendly and importantly use the residents' names when talking to them and are not afraid to give a reassuring hug when needed (to the residents or the resident's family). The living areas are always kept clean and fresh and any accidents are quickly sorted out by the carers or cleaners with minimum fuss preserving the dignity of the resident. There is always a cheery welcome at the reception in person or on the phone. The quality of the meals is excellent. Management and clerical staff are helpful and approachable. The overall maintenance of the home and grounds is very good.

My mother has lived in Ottley House since March 2012 following a stroke and suffering from Alzheimer's.
In early May this year, my mother (aged 97), suffered another serious stroke and as a family, we opted to have her nursed at Ottley House rather than in hospital. She is familiar with the staff and her surroundings which was important.
Although she can no longer move independently, she is being assisted with all food and drink in addition to all her personal care. She is always clean and well presented. The carers still put her make-up on and do her hair nicely whether she is getting up or not.
When we visit, Mum no longer knows who we are but still smiles at us. It is obvious that she is well cared for and is very happy and comfortable. The staff welcome us and offer the support which helps us cope with this sad phase in Mums life.
I cannot rate this home highly enough or praise the dedicated staff enough for the TLC shown to all the family at this difficult time.
Our grateful thanks to everyone.

My mother has Alzheimer's and came to Memory Lane, following a few admissions to hospital and major problems with safety. She came in August 2016 and immediately I felt she was safe as she used to live alone.
She had absolutely no quality of life before she came here and was constantly angry about everything but now I often see her joining in with activities, usually with a smile on her face.
The staff are absolutely dedicated and treat all the resident's with dignity and respect and I feel like they actually love my mum, which is so heartwarming to see, especially when her mood is very up and down.
There is staff constantly in attendance, to both the mobile residents and those who can hardly lift a finger.
All are treated as individuals and the interactions are lovely to see, my mum is a human being again.
The environment is clean and tidy and well maintained with even the maintenance men knowing all the residents by name. It really is a lovely place to live and to visit.

At a time when our whole life was turned upside down, we were treated with empathy, respect and concern. We needed to be guided through a sequence of events that were strange, scary and at times terrifying. Ottley House provided us with support and clear instruction on how to make the right decision of care for our dearest mum. The Head of Unit staff member organised the resettlement of Mum and gave us the strength to go forward. We were offered and still are offered opportunities to discuss and implement our mother's care. Nothing is too much trouble. The Manager cares about what happens in the home, his staff, clients and families. We as a family are very lucky. Mum is happy, hence we are too.

Since arriving at Ottley House in September. My mother has thrived. She is well cared for, the staff are lovely, treating her with care and kindness at all times. Although she has dementia, she says how lovely all the staff are. They are patient and include her in all the activities, no matter how much trouble it is. We have peace of mind knowing she is taken care of so well.

Submit a Review for Barchester Ottley House Care Home

RN (A)

Tina Lynch

Job Title: Head Housekeeper

Joined: 2014

A highly motivated Head Housekeepr driven by maintaing the very highest standartds of cleanliness.

Davina McLoughlin

Job Title: Deputy General Manager

RN(A)

James Stubbs

BA (Hons) DipHE RN(A) GCGI MCMI

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Barchester Ottley House Care Home