Shelton Lock Care Home

61a Weston Park Avenue, Shelton Lock, Derby DE24 9ER

Shelton Lock Care Home, Derby, Derbyshire

Shelton Lock is a purpose-built home with friendly carers that is able to welcome residential and nursing needs, while caring for many other conditions such as include brain injuries, Parkinson’s and Huntingdon’s. Care provision is tailored to the individual and includes respite, convalescence and palliative needs.

A well-furnished interior includes three comfortable lounges, while there are also landscaped gardens, all of which are organised to suit good wheelchair access.

The home supports good health and nutrition, with meals also being tailored to personal diet and preference. Mid-morning tea and coffee, and homemade cakes add to a pleasing social atmosphere.

An activities co-ordinator makes sure that personal interests are incorporated into the daily life of the home, with many clubs and local walks to enjoy, music and dinner spectaculars, community and charity events.

Person in charge: Josie Woodman (Home Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Derby City Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 40 Service Users

Specialist Care Categories: Head/Brain Injury • Huntington's Disease • Parkinson's Disease

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Smoking not permitted • Near Public Transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Phone Point in own room/Mobile

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Shelton Lock Care Home: click here

9.4 Shelton Lock Care Home has a Review Score of 9.4 (9.398)

The Review Score of 9.4 (maximum of 10) for Shelton Lock Care Home is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.5 out of 5 from 26 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Shelton Lock Care Home in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 4.9 out of 5 from 7 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.523 for Shelton Lock Care Home is calculated as follows: ( (166 Excellents x 5) + (131 Goods x 4) + (7 Satisfactorys x 3) ) ÷ 304 Ratings = 4.523

The 4.875 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Shelton Lock Care Home is based on 7 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 8 positive Reviews (40 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 7 Reviews ÷ 8 Target = 0.875

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Shelton Lock Care Home?

Reviewer Connection to Shelton Lock Care Home

• Sister-in-law of Resident/Service User
  • Son-in-law of Resident/Service User

I have visited my friend at this home for a number of years. I have always found staff available and very approachable. My friend appears well-cared for in his disablement and need.

How likely would you be to recommend Shelton Lock Care Home? Likely

My dad was admitted as an emergency respite over December and I can't give enough praise to the staff at the home.
No bad smells, very friendly and caring.
There was so much support and Dad was safe and well looked after.

How likely would you be to recommend Shelton Lock Care Home? Extremely Likely

I find the staff very friendly and accommodating and the actual home, comfortable with a lovely garden, birds to watch in the aviary, clean everywhere too.

Food seems to be very good.

I feel sorry for the staff sometimes as they can't be in more than one place at one time and people can't understand that. I worked in a hospital ward so I do understand that. Also, messages are hard to pass on sometimes. Above all, very good "homely" home.

How likely would you be to recommend Shelton Lock Care Home? Extremely Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer Services Administrator at Shelton Lock Care Home responded to this review on 21 Nov 2017:

I'm really loving it here. I am treated very well.

How likely would you be to recommend Shelton Lock Care Home? Extremely Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer Services Administrator at Shelton Lock Care Home responded to this review on 16 Aug 2017:

Thank you for your review. It is lovely to know that you are settled and are loving being in our care.

Well looked after.

How likely would you be to recommend Shelton Lock Care Home? Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer Services Administrator at Shelton Lock Care Home responded to this review on 14 Aug 2017:

Thank you for your review. We are pleased to hear about your positive experience and appreciate your comment about our home and will share your comments with the home’s manager

Been well looked after whilst staying here.

How likely would you be to recommend Shelton Lock Care Home? Extremely Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer Services Administrator at Shelton Lock Care Home responded to this review on 12 Jun 2017:

Thank you for your review. We are pleased to hear about your positive experience and appreciate your comment of our home and will share your comment with the home’s manager.

We moved our mother to this home after she sustained a double fracture at her previous care home.
The staff here are so caring, sensitive to her needs in every way, cheerful and understanding.
Mother felt at home here. Sadly she was critically frail and lived with dementia, plus a stroke, which took her speech and mobility away.
But she still gave the nurses a smile or a little wave.
They are all kind and helpful to the residents, even the chef who makes delicious meals.

How likely would you be to recommend Shelton Lock Care Home? Extremely Likely

Emily Wilson, Customer Service Administrator at Shelton Lock Care Home responded to this review on 15 Mar 2017:

My father has had to use respite several times in the last few years. We have not used Shelton Lock before. I will certainly recommend this care home. The staff actually care. It was clean, warm with a lovely homely atmosphere. The manager was so patient and helpful. Thank you so much, everyone, at Shelton Lock.

How likely would you be to recommend Shelton Lock Care Home? Extremely Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer servicies administrator at Shelton Lock Care Home responded to this review on 09 Feb 2017:

Home couldn't be cleaner, all the staff right to the management are excellent and caring, everybody has been really lovely. Food is excellent but I only have a small appetite so I have to leave some, portion sizes large.
Always felt safe and secure, room was very nice and clean. I have been treated with respect and dignity at all times. I couldn't fault anyone, they are all really really lovely and I'm not kidding. I love them all.

How likely would you be to recommend Shelton Lock Care Home? Extremely Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer services administrator at Shelton Lock Care Home responded to this review on 24 Jan 2017:

Very friendly atmosphere. All staff are very attentive to both residents and visitors. The home is clean, comfortable and kept at a pleasant temperature for the residents. I spoke to several residents and they all seemed happy, with mild joking comments with the staff. Members of staff were professional in their dealings with residents and acted very quickly when the need arose.

How likely would you be to recommend Shelton Lock Care Home? Extremely Likely

Rose Pickering, Customer Service Administrator at Shelton Lock Care Home responded to this review on 23 Dec 2016:

This is my first association with Shelton Lock Home and I have been greatly impressed with it. I am a retired nurse with 7 years experience in nursing home and 15 and a half years in palliative care. My dear friend needed the most dedicated care when he was first admitted and this was clearly given to him. Within 2 weeks or so, the staff had completely gained his confidence and he has nothing but praise for all the staff. We were courteously treated and supported and every support was given to me to be able to take my ladies choir to Shelton Lock. This was very well enjoyed.

How likely would you be to recommend Shelton Lock Care Home? Extremely Likely

The staff were brilliant and caring. The deputy manager gave my wife comfort on the morning my mother-in-law passed away and couldn't have been more caring. This care home is my first look at a care home and to me was a real eye opener after seeing reports of how bad some care homes have been.
Please continue the same care and comfort that we've had for others that come after us.

How likely would you be to recommend Shelton Lock Care Home? Extremely Likely

Rose Pickering, Customer Service Administrator at Shelton Lock Care Home responded to this review on 07 Oct 2016:

This was my first experience of a relative needing nursing care. My mum was taken in for end of life care and was only there for 12 days. All the staff were very caring, respectful and maintained mums dignity. I cannot praise the care staff enough. The deputy care manager, in particular, was brilliant and gave me comfort and support when my mum was taken into the home and particularly the day my mum passed away, and treated my mum on that day with the greatest of respect.

How likely would you be to recommend Shelton Lock Care Home? Extremely Likely

My dear wife became ill and I needed some help. The manager was so helpful, kind and understanding, I couldn't have managed without her. The staff were so caring and I was able to relax. The home itself is lovely and homely. The food is good as I was able to have my dinner there, and that was another thing I didn't have to think about. I can't recommend this home enough and I will be forever in their debt.

How likely would you be to recommend Shelton Lock Care Home? Extremely Likely

Emily Wilson, Customer Service Administrator at Shelton Lock Care Home responded to this review on 11 Aug 2016:

Thank you for your review. We are pleased to hear about your positive experience and appreciate your comments about our home and will share your comments with the home’s manager. The Bupa Customer Care Team.

Beautiful home, has a really nice feel to it; staff are friendly. My friend lives there and is very happy.

How likely would you be to recommend Shelton Lock Care Home? Extremely Likely

Emily Wilson, Customer Service Administrator at Shelton Lock Care Home responded to this review on 04 Aug 2016:

My father has been staying at Shelton Lock Care Home and we have all been very happy with his, and our, experience. The manager and all the staff are very helpful, supportive and friendly.

How likely would you be to recommend Shelton Lock Care Home? Extremely Likely

Emily Wilson, Customer Service Administrator at Shelton Lock Care Home responded to this review on 08 Jul 2016:

How likely would you be to recommend Shelton Lock Care Home? Extremely Likely

Rose Pickering, Customer Service Administrator at Shelton Lock Care Home responded to this review on 21 Jun 2016:

Thank you for your review, we appreciate your feedback. We are pleased to hear about your positive experience and appreciate your comments of our home and will share your comments with the home’s manager. The Bupa Customer Care Team.

My mother in law is a resident. The care staff are kind, warm hearted, they go out of their way to look after her. Also this kindness expands to the family every time we visit. The food is outstanding and mother in law has never looked so well. All staff are approachable and nothing is too much trouble.

How likely would you be to recommend Shelton Lock Care Home? Extremely Likely

Rose Pickering, Customer Service Administrator at Shelton Lock Care Home responded to this review on 14 Jun 2016:

I am a friend of one of the residents currently at this home. I have been visiting this friend for some time and have thus been able to get a good overall view of the home at different times of the day and week and of course month and year. All of the staff have been attending to different aspects of the care needed for each individual at all times during the day. Whenever a resident has to be bed bound for whatever reason, I got the impression that their individual needs were also being attended to as and when help was needed. The overall impression I get each time I have been visiting is that the residents are treated with as much dignity to each individual as possible and the staff all act in a very professional manner.

How likely would you be to recommend Shelton Lock Care Home? Extremely Likely

A number of us work and live here and help each other as much as we can. We enjoy being here and get on as well as we can. The staff are very helpful, kind and caring and also polite and nothing is too much trouble.

How likely would you be to recommend Shelton Lock Care Home? Extremely Likely

Rose Pickering, Customer Service Administrator at Shelton Lock Care Home responded to this review on 03 Jun 2016:

Really satisfied with care shown to my sister-in-law.

How likely would you be to recommend Shelton Lock Care Home? Extremely Likely

On visiting my sister-in-law I was impressed by the home, and the time that was spent visiting her was made so much more enjoyable because I felt confident with the care she is receiving .

How likely would you be to recommend Shelton Lock Care Home? Extremely Likely

I am very happy here, I enjoy the activities because it keeps me busy. I enjoy playing scrabble, I enjoy the garden when it's warm.

How likely would you be to recommend Shelton Lock Care Home? Extremely Likely

I enjoy living here. I enjoy the garden and I feel happy here. I class this as my home.

How likely would you be to recommend Shelton Lock Care Home? Likely

It's cosy, people are very friendly. I enjoy the daily activities. I get lots of help and support and I enjoy the food.

How likely would you be to recommend Shelton Lock Care Home? Don't know

I enjoy the concerts, that come in to the home, the food is good.

Submit a Review for Shelton Lock Care Home

Recipient: HC-One

Recipient: HC-One

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Shelton Lock Care Home