Beckside

Middle Street, North Hykeham, Lincoln LN6 9QX

Overlooking the local village green, Beckside offers reliable, high quality care for older people in a comfortable, homely setting.

The experienced care team include registered nurses and provide round the clock professional support, tailored to the needs of each resident. Beckside were also one of the first care homes to achieve the Gold Standards Framework, a special award recognising excellent palliative care.

To enhance residents’ wellbeing, there is a dedicated activities coordinator, who organises a wide ranging programme of outings and activities to enable them to pursue their preferred interests and hobbies.   The Senior Cook and her team are proud to provide delicious, traditional home cooked meals catering for every taste and occasion.

Group: The Orders of St John Care Trust

Person in charge: Andrea Brooks (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Lincolnshire County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Voluntary / Not for Profit Owned , Registered for a maximum of 58 Service Users

Specialist Care Categories: Cancer Care • Parkinson's Disease • Stroke

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Day Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Smoking not permitted • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Wheelchair access • Ground Floor Accommodation only • Gardens for residents • Residents Kitchenette • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Beckside: click here

The Review Score of 9.1 (maximum of 10) for Beckside is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.4 out of 5 from 19 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Beckside in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 4.7 out of 5 from 8 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.377 for Beckside is calculated as follows: ( (111 Excellents x 5) + (86 Goods x 4) + (25 Satisfactorys x 3) + (1 Poors x 2) ) ÷ 223 Ratings = 4.377

The 4.69 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Beckside is based on 8 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 11.6 positive Reviews (58 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 8 Reviews ÷ 11.6 Target = 0.690

9.1 Beckside has a Review Score of 9.1 (9.067) from 19 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Beckside?

Reviewer Connection to Beckside

My dad initially went to Beckside for 2 weeks respite as he was struggling been on his own following the death of my mum a few months previously. As he was also requiring help and support for his palliative care. He then remained at Beckside for a number of weeks until he passed away due to deteriorating health.
As a family, we were impressed with the care and time spent caring for dad and us as well. I can't praise highly enough how he was looked after and wouldn't hesitate to recommend to others considering Beckside for a loved one.

How likely would you be to recommend Beckside? Extremely Likely

When my uncle first arrived, I had a few issues I went through with the manager. She gave me reassurance and a letter, a nurse was extremely helpful. I live 5 hours away and she registered the death for me. Took a lot of the worry off for me.

How likely would you be to recommend Beckside? Likely

We feel extremely fortunate that we were able to obtain a place for my mother at Beckside. My wife and I visited my mother often, so we were able to see the care being given to her on many occasions. We were always impressed by the high standard of care and the kindness shown to my mother, and also the kindness and consideration shown to us.

How likely would you be to recommend Beckside? Extremely Likely

My dear friend arrived in Beckside after a short spell in the hospital a few weeks ago and sadly died there this week. I was able to visit him on several occasions at Beckside. This was my first ever experience of visiting a Care-home. I can't find enough praise for the quality of the care I observed. His room was more than adequate (given his circumstance - being torn away from his own home due to old age medical issues). The staff were just fabulous in every respect from the moment I pressed the button at the front door, the courtesy I experienced, and the dedication of the team to my friend's needs was extremely impressive.

How likely would you be to recommend Beckside? Extremely Likely

Mum was in the last weeks of her life.
It was necessary to complete an advanced care plan.
A senior carer headed the meeting and treated mum very kindly with great empathy, enabling the form to be completed without distress.
As with all two years of her stay she was treated with much kindness, empathy and helped retain her dignity.
In the final week, great compassion from every member of staff was observed.

How likely would you be to recommend Beckside? Extremely Likely

The last few months of my mother's life was spent at Beckside where she was cared for with love and dignity. All the members of staff no matter what their position at Beckside found time to chat with the residents my mother being no exception. At the end of my mother's life mum was kept clean, comfortable and above all pain free. I cannot thank and praise the staff enough.

How likely would you be to recommend Beckside? Extremely Likely

Our mother has reached the stage in her life when she needs an advanced care plan. The Beckaside head of care handled this with great sensitivity and diplomacy. In fact, all the staff here are very caring.

How likely would you be to recommend Beckside? Extremely Likely

The decision to move my Mum into a care home was an extremely difficult and sad decision for the family to take. However, the manager at Beckside was very understanding and helped us by not putting any pressure on us and giving us time to come to terms with the decision. When Mum moved in she was moved from the hospital and began in a nursing bed, but later she moved into a normal residents room as she felt more settled and secure.
Mum suffered from a severe eating disorder and was unable to walk due to weakness, but it was clear that the staff at Beckside understood her particular needs. As a family, we found that someone was always available to talk to if we had a problem or concern. I believe the staff at Beckside always put my Mum first in terms of her priorities and needs and we are extremely grateful for this and couldn't have asked for anything more.

How likely would you be to recommend Beckside? Extremely Likely

I find the staff at the Beckside very friendly and approachable.
It is a very difficult situation when your loved one is suffering from dementia so it is vital that a care provider also takes family members' emotions into account, which includes providing support (to some extent) and talking to them, Beckside does this.
My father also feels that my mother is well looked after.
He agrees that the staff are very good which is a relief as there's nothing more important than receiving good care which as we have discovered at a previous home can be hard to find.
Thank you all staff at the Beckside.

How likely would you be to recommend Beckside? Extremely Likely

The ratings below should give an idea of my experience.
All the staff are friendly and my mother is happy and looked after.

How likely would you be to recommend Beckside? Extremely Likely

I am pleased I got my wife into Beckside. The staff are wonderfully looking after my wife. It's a hard job they do with dignity. If you are looking for a care home Beckside is the one.

How likely would you be to recommend Beckside? Extremely Likely

Overall the care provided is good and the home is a very good standard. The food is good and seems to be of sufficient amount. The staff pay attention to the resident's needs at all times and we definitely feel that my aunt is being well looked after.

How likely would you be to recommend Beckside? Likely

My mother has been in Beckside for three years I have no complaints at all except the bedrooms are very small.

How likely would you be to recommend Beckside? Extremely Likely

I find all the carers good and well aware of all my husband's needs. As time has gone on they have altered and needs have added.
I leave my husband each time I visit well aware and rested to know he is in good care.

How likely would you be to recommend Beckside? Extremely Likely

My mother has been failing since December 2016. She is 100 years old.
The staff seem kind.
My mother is moved in her bed regularly but her diet is mainly yoghurt and water.
I feel it is a waiting time.

How likely would you be to recommend Beckside? Likely

I must say upon writing this review, that I've always had a rather negative view of nursing/residential homes. My exposure of which has been mostly limited, to the general media coverage of the sector. However, my experience with Beckside and the wonderful care that my mother received, has changed my perception completely. My mother didn't have long when she was admitted in late January 2016. The caring way the staff dealt with a demanding and frightened resident was hugely re-assuring. I'm most grateful to all the staff who, although clearly under pressure, always made time for both my mother and myself with a frank but sensitive assessment of mum's condition. I was particularly impressed with how one staff member stayed with mum in her final moments, as I made my way to the home. Alas, I was too late but it was of great comfort to know that mum wasn't alone when she passed. Thank you to everyone at Beckside who put the care into Care.

How likely would you be to recommend Beckside? Extremely Likely

My father has been at Beckside for over 2 and a half years. He is very settled and happy to live there. The staff are professional and caring. He has been persuaded to join in many of the activities that are arranged. His favourite is the boat trips. I have visited him in his room when the staff don't know I'm with him, so hear how they knock on the door and start to talk to him. It's really reassuring for me to hear this, they all really seem to like him and treat him with great care and respect. I wouldn't want my dad to live anywhere else.

How likely would you be to recommend Beckside? Extremely Likely

Beckside is bright and welcoming. The staff are friendly and cheerful; they respond to residents needs in a positive way.

How likely would you be to recommend Beckside? Extremely Likely

Very satisfied on the whole.

Submit a Review for Beckside

Julie Stokes

Joined: 2016

Beckside is a 57 bedded Residential and Nursing home that comprises 2 Nursing Units and 4 Residential Units.

Residents at Beckside are supported and cared for by a team of over 100 staff ranging from ancillary staff, admin staff, catering staff and housekeepers up to the senior team comprising of Senior Carers, Nurses, a Head of Care and the Home Manager – Julie Stokes.

Julie expects high standards of care throughout the home at all times and is dedicated to staff development and training to ensure quality care is delivered to all residents at all times. The care practises within the home are testament to the fantastic reputation that Beckside has within the local community and with other professionals.

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Beckside