Pavilion Court

McKendrick Villas, Cowgate, Newcastle upon Tyne NE5 3AB

Pavilion Court is a welcoming and friendly care home located close to local shops and facilities, with good public transport links.

The home has strong links with the local community and many residents grew up in the local area.

Pavilion Court has gardens, first-floor verandas, a café and two large lounges where residents can relax and socialise. They can also take part in a range of activities such as gardening, baking and quizzes. The home also receives visits from local schools and church groups.

Residents are encouraged to have their say in the running of the home through the residents’ forum.

Group: Akari Care Ltd

Person in charge: Sarah McKenzie (Care Home Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Newcastle upon Tyne City Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 75 Service Users

Registered Care Categories*: Dementia • Old Age • Younger Adults

Specialist Care Categories: Alzheimer's • Challenging Behaviour • Epilepsy • Hearing Impairment • Motor Neurone Disease • Multiple Sclerosis • Parkinson's Disease • Stroke

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Respite Care • Physiotherapy • Separate Dementia Care Unit • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Bar/Cafe on premises • Residents Kitchenette • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Pavilion Court: click here

The Review Score of 8.6 (maximum of 10) for Pavilion Court is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.6 out of 5 from 18 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Pavilion Court in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 4.0 out of 5 from 4 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.557 for Pavilion Court is calculated as follows: ( (134 Excellents x 5) + (64 Goods x 4) + (12 Satisfactorys x 3) + (2 Poors x 2) ) ÷ 212 Ratings = 4.557

The 4.017 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Pavilion Court is based on 4 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

1. 3 + 0.25 + 0.25 + 0.25 = 3.75

2. Target of 15 positive Reviews (75 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 4 Reviews ÷ 15 Target = 0.267

8.6 Pavilion Court has a Review Score of 8.6 (8.574) from 18 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Pavilion Court?

Reviewer Connection to Pavilion Court

• Sister-in-law of Resident/Service User

When visiting the care home I have always been made to feel very welcome no matter what time I visit.

Residents get love and a cuddle when upset and not well.

Really a lovely and welcome feeling all round.

How likely would you be to recommend Pavilion Court? Extremely Likely

Sarah McKenzie, Manager at Pavilion Court responded to this review on 18 May 2018:

Thank you for the lovely feedback - much appreciated and will help us focus on our goals going forward.

A very pleasant, safe environment with friendly staff. Well care for and quite peaceful.

How likely would you be to recommend Pavilion Court? Likely

Andrea Blades, Manager at Pavilion Court responded to this review on 09 May 2018:

Thank you for taking the time out to review our home. It is much appreciated and helps us review our care going forward.

We came to visit my sister-in-law who was in terminal decline after a long and complicated illness. She had stated her wish to be able to die quietly and with dignity at the care home, and this is exactly what happened, with all the staff facilitating this, each carrying out their role impeccably.

How likely would you be to recommend Pavilion Court? Likely

I was treated with courtesy and my sister has been very contented with the care of the team and stated very clearly that she wished to die there - which she did - very peacefully.

How likely would you be to recommend Pavilion Court? Likely

From first viewing to all visits I've had, I found and still find Pavilion Court has a welcoming atmosphere.
From management right through to all levels of nursing and caring staff, and all other staff involved, very friendly, helpful and caring.
The care home is always clean, tidy and well maintained.
I feel my father is being looked after very well and think he is starting to accept the situation the best he is able to.
All facilities in place seem to cater for residents needs and the food seems lovely.
The garden area outside his room is a nice place to sit out when the weather is fine.
All in all, I couldn't fault the Pavilion Court.

How likely would you be to recommend Pavilion Court? Extremely Likely

Overall I feel the care home meets all of the requirements needed to support and care for my elderly father in law. My first visit there was a very pleasant experience and the manager went out of her way to explain and answer any questions I had.
All of the care staff seem nice and treat residents with dignity and patience.
It is always clean and has some lovely outside garden areas which residents are encouraged to use.
I found it to have a really friendly, relaxed atmosphere and all of the staff from management through to carers, domestics and maintenance are very cheerful and helpful.
I would highly recommend Pavilion Court to anyone.

How likely would you be to recommend Pavilion Court? Extremely Likely

Friendly and helpful staff. Happy with the care I see him receive.

How likely would you be to recommend Pavilion Court? Likely

I find the staff very friendly and helpful. The home is very clean and tidy and lovely. It has lovely pictures and instruments on the corridor walls on the dementia floor.

How likely would you be to recommend Pavilion Court? Extremely Likely

A very friendly care home, staff are always professional and attend to all my mother-in-law's needs. There is always someone available to discuss any issues and they are all very caring. I feel my mother-in-law is in a safe and caring home.

How likely would you be to recommend Pavilion Court? Extremely Likely

Very satisfied. No complaints.

How likely would you be to recommend Pavilion Court? Extremely Likely

My sister is happy in the care home. The staff are helpful and obliging nothing is too much trouble for them. I'm happy that I know she is well looked after.

How likely would you be to recommend Pavilion Court? Extremely Likely

Everybody is friendly, staff, carers, very good.

How likely would you be to recommend Pavilion Court? Extremely Likely

I can't fault this home. Staff and management always helpful and friendly and do anything to make life easier for families. They have lots of activities for residents. Lovely and clean and friendly.

How likely would you be to recommend Pavilion Court? Extremely Likely

It's a lovely place, girls look after my brother - very happy with progress he is making. Staff always available if I need to speak to anyone.

How likely would you be to recommend Pavilion Court? Extremely Likely

When my sister and I were viewing potential care homes for our father, we immediately knew that Pavilion Court was the right one which would meet the needs to offer care for our father due to the professionalism and personal touch displayed. Although our father has been in the care home for 24 hours we have seen an improvement already and cannot recommend the care and attention already received and given.

How likely would you be to recommend Pavilion Court? Extremely Likely

My aunt has improved greatly since moving here.

How likely would you be to recommend Pavilion Court? Extremely Likely

Having the unfortunate need to place my Mam in nursing care (although she is quite able but forgets to eat and drink) I shopped around visited many on spec and read the CQC reports I decided on Pavilion Court despite their CQC report being not so good the feeling and the welcome I got when I visited the home made me choose it, it just felt right, i'm sure you all know that feeling when you walk into somewhere and it feels right!. The first room she was in was lovely and had an alarmed door into the garden however my Mam kept opening the door and setting the alarm off so without any fuss the staff helped me move my Mam into another room at my request where she settled lovely...however after few weeks I decided it was a bit quiet after one of my Mams friends moved out so I changed my Mam into another home with my Mams involvement, but after 5 days for various reasons she wasn't happy and couldn't settle and her behaviour at times was challenging according to the staff in the new place! I rang Pavilion where my Mams behaviour was often the same but they seemed to be able to deal with it and calm her down and asked could I possibly take her back to live there. I have to commend the staff and most of all the new manageress in Pavilion Court for making this traumatic time run smoothly for my Mam and my family the manageress was highly recommended by a social worker I spoke to as being brilliant at her job of turning the negative into positive. You can make cups of tea and eat biscuits in their hall or your room any time you visit,they are a very friendly bunch of carers and it's true they are there for the family's too. I could go on but obviously got to stop somewhere, in this instance the CQC report doesn't do Pavilion Court justice , go on personal experience. Obviously everywhere has their good staff and some not so good just as some have good days and bad days but when I go into Pavilion Court it's like going home as far as feeling we belong there.

How likely would you be to recommend Pavilion Court? Extremely Likely

Vicki Burden, PA to Operations Director at Pavilion Court responded to this review on 04 Jan 2016:

We would like to thank this lady very much for taking the time to give Pavilion Court such a glowing review. We have noticed, however, that her opinion of the activities in the home is poor. We like to use all comments constructively and would like to suggest that these opinions are discussed with the Home Manager who will be happy to hear them. Thank you.

The service provided is basically ok but could benefit from some more staff.

How likely would you be to recommend Pavilion Court? Neither Unlikely or Likely

Vicki Burden, PA to Operations Director at Pavilion Court responded to this review on 24 Nov 2015:

We value the feedback received from any person involved in or having contact with the home and truly believe this enables continuous improvement. We are sorry that this has been the experience of the service provided, and we will ensure that the comments are used constructively to enhance the service delivered. A review is currently underway regarding activity provision at the home.

Submit a Review for Pavilion Court

Recipient: Akari Care Ltd

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Pavilion Court