Tenlands Care Home

Wood Lane, Ferryhill DL17 8JD

Tenlands Care Home is located within a residential area of Ferryhill in County Durham, a purpose built 39 bedded accommodation offering Nursing and Residential care.

At Tenlands Care Home, Residents have a choice of lounge areas which feature comfortable and specially designed furnishings. The home has a range of comfortable and well-equipped bedrooms.

Chefs at Tenlands pride themselves on knowing the tastes of Residents and preparing a choice of home cooked, fresh, nutritional meals and catering for any dietary and cultural needs. All Catering, Nursing and Care staff have undertaken extensive nutritional training which is accredited by Durham NHS Trust. At HC-One, experienced Home Managers and members of staff ensure kindness is at the heart of everything they do.

Person in charge: Victoria Leighton (Home Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Durham County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 40 Service Users

Specialist Care Categories: Cancer Care • Cerebral Palsy • Colitis & Crohn's Disease • Epilepsy • Hearing Impairment • Huntington's Disease • Motor Neurone Disease • Multiple Sclerosis • Muscular Dystrophy • Orthopaedic • Parkinson's Disease • Speech Impairment • Stroke • Visual Impairment

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Respite Care • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Television point in own room

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Tenlands Care Home: click here

The Review Score of 9.7 (maximum of 10) for Tenlands Care Home is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.7 out of 5 from 52 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Tenlands Care Home in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 5 out of 5 from 17 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.744 for Tenlands Care Home is calculated as follows: ( (471 Excellents x 5) + (136 Goods x 4) + (11 Satisfactorys x 3) ) ÷ 618 Ratings = 4.744

The 5 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Tenlands Care Home is based on 17 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 8 positive Reviews (40 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 17 Reviews ÷ 8 Target Reached = 1

9.7 Tenlands Care Home has a Review Score of 9.7 (9.744) from 52 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Tenlands Care Home?

Reviewer Connection to Tenlands Care Home

I find Tenlands a very warm and welcoming place. The staff are very kind and make you feel welcome.

How likely would you be to recommend Tenlands Care Home? Extremely Likely

Excellent staff and feel I can ask any questions.

How likely would you be to recommend Tenlands Care Home? Extremely Likely

Mam saw out her final months in Tenlands Care Home and all the staff were very helpful, kind and courteous always. Nothing was ever a trouble to any of them day or night. In mams final few days there was always two of us stayed overnight myself being one of them and through the day there were people in and out all the time and a trolley with tea's coffee, biscuits and sandwiches were outside the room 24/7. I could not praise everyone enough for all they did for mam and us.

How likely would you be to recommend Tenlands Care Home? Extremely Likely

My stepmum has been in Tenlands since January 2015, I have only praise for her welfare ans she is very happy and very well looked after.
The staff are very caring and the manager is a wonderful caring peson and has a lovely team.

How likely would you be to recommend Tenlands Care Home? Extremely Likely

Since my husband's admission we've had a lovely experience all round. A friend who visited commented on the friendly atmosphere. My husband recently took ill and the staff were most prompt in contacting us to make us aware; they were very diligent whilst we waited for an ambulance. Even after his admission to hospital they were helpful and concerned.

I was in Tenlands when he was brought home from hospital and I can only give praise for the way they welcomed and helped him.

I am always treated with dignity.

How likely would you be to recommend Tenlands Care Home? Extremely Likely

My relative came here from hospital as an interim discharge package. She has been admitted twice due to a relapse in her physical condition which required re-hospitalisation. Staff quickly detected changes in her condition at this time and actioned attention quickly. Her health has improved significantly with the care and attention she has received here. She has responded well to the kindness and encouragement she has received in the steps she is making towards recovery.

How likely would you be to recommend Tenlands Care Home? Extremely Likely

Visitors to Tenlands immediately see the respect and care from all the staff and help to their residents and vice versa.
The care and comfort of the residents is their first priority.
The home itself is impeccably clean and fresh and comfortable.
Under the leadership of a very kind, caring head the home system runs so smoothly.
The staff - not a very easy job, carried out without complaint.
Tenlands to me is of a very high standard.

How likely would you be to recommend Tenlands Care Home? Extremely Likely

I visited over the Xmas period regularly as Mam was ill. What a fabulous programme of activities open to all. Even those residents who don't come down often were assisted to take part.

Lovely atmosphere - lovely staff!

How likely would you be to recommend Tenlands Care Home? Extremely Likely

Very good food and service. Have made some good friends with staff and patients.

How likely would you be to recommend Tenlands Care Home? Extremely Likely

Since moving into Tenlands my granny has picked up significantly and her quality of life has improved tenfold. She thoroughly enjoys the daily activities and warmth and kindness of the staff throughout the home. Myself and my family are at ease knowing that my granny is in such capable and loving hands.

How likely would you be to recommend Tenlands Care Home? Extremely Likely

Mam was in respite for two weeks. The care and medical attention were excellent.

How likely would you be to recommend Tenlands Care Home? Extremely Likely

My mother was recently admitted to Tenlands for respite care. Upon arrival, she was greeted with a royal welcome from the staff. We were shown around the home and found it to be exceptionally clean, comfortable and beautifully presented. The facilities are excellent and the rooms are bright, clean and fresh. The staff are friendly and welcoming which made my mother and our family feel at ease. Since her admission, my mother has received exemplary care. We would like to express our gratitude to all staff at Tenlands for treating our mother with dignity, kindness and respect.

How likely would you be to recommend Tenlands Care Home? Extremely Likely

During a recent period of illness, staff at Tenlands have provided exemplary care. Their attention and dedication are marvellous and my aunt has been treated with kindness, dignity and professional courtesy throughout. We are very grateful for all that the staff at Tenlands do.

How likely would you be to recommend Tenlands Care Home? Extremely Likely

The staff always make me feel welcome when I visit and I am delighted with the quality of care given. There is also a good variety of entertainment for the residents. I really enjoyed the Elvis show.

How likely would you be to recommend Tenlands Care Home? Extremely Likely

The home is clean, tidy, friendly, caring and always kept up to date with things.
Gran is well looked after and happy.
All areas are covered, we are very happy with this service.

How likely would you be to recommend Tenlands Care Home? Extremely Likely

Father is well looked after. I am made aware of any problems as they arise. Staff excellent in handling him even though he can be an awkward tenant at times. He enjoys the entertainment especially.

How likely would you be to recommend Tenlands Care Home? Extremely Likely

I would like to say how professional, caring and wonderful all the staff are at Tenlands. My father has been here two years. My brother and I were dubious of nursing homes but this has totally changed our opinion. I tell everyone about the wonderful nursing home and the care displayed to all its residents, nothing is too much trouble! I live in Essex so the staff give me peace of mind that my father is so well cared for and loved. From the housekeeping, catering, caters and management, all faultless. A fantastic example of a nursing home.

How likely would you be to recommend Tenlands Care Home? Extremely Likely

The best in the Northeast. 10 out of 10.

How likely would you be to recommend Tenlands Care Home? Extremely Likely

From my very first contact, having arrived without notice in order to gather a true impression of the home and staff. I was greeted in a most welcoming and friendly manner. Having been shown the facilities and accommodation I was given the opportunity to speak to several of the residents, all of whom spoke in glowing terms of the care that had received.
On my wife's transfer, I was pleased to see how all the care staff made her feel at ease and welcome from the outset.
Indeed, up to the present time, I cannot fault anything or anyone I have encountered in the home and have every confidence that this will continue to be the case.

How likely would you be to recommend Tenlands Care Home? Extremely Likely

On my mother's death in April 2017, she had been in Tenlands Care Home for nearly two years. Her stay was as happy as it could be for someone 90years old. She enjoyed the companionship of many of the other residents and made a number of friends.
The staff were looking after her personal needs and treated her with kindness.
The day she died they showed us empathy and concern, which was a great comfort to us. Thank you for all they did.

How likely would you be to recommend Tenlands Care Home? Likely

The care provided to my father is exceptional. The team at Tenlands Care Home always provide the most caring and individual service. I couldn't ask for better for my father. The team arranged a 90th birthday party for my father, nothing was too much trouble and it made the day special for all of us.

How likely would you be to recommend Tenlands Care Home? Extremely Likely

The staff are always friendly, approachable and caring. The food is always excellent.

How likely would you be to recommend Tenlands Care Home? Extremely Likely

My husband, a double amputee with cognitive issues has been a resident of Tenlands Care Home since July 2013. In all of this time, he has been treated with the utmost care, love and respect. Although he would love to return to living at home, he knows that this is impossible and he tells me every day how happy he is to be well cared for. Since December 2016, his condition has deteriorated with the tissue in his remaining stump breaking down. This has caused him to be in terrible pain. The staff have done everything possible to relieve him of the pain making him as comfortable and giving total support to myself and the family.

How likely would you be to recommend Tenlands Care Home? Extremely Likely

My mother has been in Tenlands Care Home for nearly 2 years, myself and my wife visit on most days we have always found that the staff are excellent in their commitment to looking after all the residents in the care home. The staff are all well suited to their respective roles and work well as a team. We have the assurance of knowing if we are away on holiday, my mother is in good hands. Overall, a very clean, friendly, well run care home.

How likely would you be to recommend Tenlands Care Home? Extremely Likely

It's been on experience been here as I normally live on my own. Staff very friendly, helpful. I was worried to come here at it's miles away from where I live but comforted and reassured and If I had to come back I would. Meals are very nice can't fault anyone. Activities I choose not to join in but did enjoy church services. I would definitely recommend Tenlands to anyone. Will miss everyone but pleased to be going home.

How likely would you be to recommend Tenlands Care Home? Extremely Likely

My brother decided to join Tenlands Care Home in late January 2017 and fortunately for him, there was a room available. From the moment he arrived, he was made to feel extremely welcome with so many members of the Tenland's team visiting him to welcome him and constantly ensuring that his needs were met ie we were able to transport his beloved recliner chair which arrived at the same time as he did. The attention from the entire team has been excellent and that continues to provide me with a great deal of comfort and contentment. The fact that many of his pictures, photographs and then his bureau to house his beloved books are now in his new home have made an enormous difference to the settling in process. His food is superb and always make me feel hungry immediately during my visits. His every need has been catered for and throughout his stay and I have been informed of his progress. He is receiving the best care and attention in his new, happy, comfortable home and he is content.

How likely would you be to recommend Tenlands Care Home? Extremely Likely

I couldn't praise the management and staff more highly. My brother was treated with great care and dignity in his last days. My brothers last weeks were much better for being looked after by the staff.

How likely would you be to recommend Tenlands Care Home? Extremely Likely

The care and support that my mother received from all staff during her two weeks at Tenlands was excellent. As was the kindness shown to myself in helping to prepare for her eventual death.
It was evident that this is standard at Tenlands and other residents and visitors received the same level of care and kindness at all times.
My mother was not in a position to take part in any of the activities on offer so my comment of "good" below is not based on direct experience.
Regarding "value for money", I have said "Don't Know" as my mother was funded by the NHS. However, although I find it difficult to consider the service in such terms, I am sure that Tenlands are providing an excellent service on insufficient levels of funding.

How likely would you be to recommend Tenlands Care Home? Extremely Likely

Excellent home mam settled in immediately. She was very underweight when she first went in and had no appetite now she eats anything that is put in front of her. As soon as she has any health issues the nurse sorts her, I love the idea of the hairdressers she looks forward to that and one of the carers painted her nails when I was in this week. A lovely gentleman was doing exercise with them all in the lounge. The staff are all brilliant and go out of their way to make everyone comfortable. The deputy manager is an inspiration.

How likely would you be to recommend Tenlands Care Home? Extremely Likely

Overall the care provided is of an excellent standard. The individual care my mother receives is superb. The home is of a high standard where the rooms are spacious and well maintained. The staff are keen to arrange special activities and decorate the home at seasonal times, Easter, Halloween etc. There are also outdoor activities particularly in the summer or when the weather is fine. My only concern is that there seems to be a high turnover of staff which can be disruptive.

How likely would you be to recommend Tenlands Care Home? Extremely Likely

HC-One, Careline Team at Tenlands Care Home responded to this review on 27 Jan 2017:

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review. We really value the feedback provided by those who use our services. We are glad you are happy with the home and the care delivered to your mother.
At Tenlands we are delighted to have extended our care bank staff to allow us to easily cover annual leave and any shortfalls in the staffing levels including maternity leave with our own well-trained staff and as a consequence, we have had new care staff commence in the home over the past few weeks. We are very happy to confirm we have had very few staff leave our employ.
HC-One aims to deliver the kindest possible care to all Residents, and we know how important it is to provide continuity of care with friendly and familiar staff members to support each Resident.

Always find the staff at Tenlands Care Home very helpful, friendly and very professional. My dad has felt comfortable and welcome there, would recommend this home.

How likely would you be to recommend Tenlands Care Home? Extremely Likely

I enjoy it here at Tenlands. All the staff are fun and caring. I have enjoyed the trips out and my time spent here.

How likely would you be to recommend Tenlands Care Home? Extremely Likely

My father had a lovely stay, staff were excellent.
He was well looked after and treated really well by everyone.

How likely would you be to recommend Tenlands Care Home? Extremely Likely

During the short stay at Tenlands Care Home, my mother was treated to all the comforts that Tenlands had to offer. The home itself gives you a warm and friendly feeling the moment you enter the building. Each member of staff are willing to assist and help in any way they can.
My mam was very poorly when admitted to Tenlands and only survived a few days. But the individual attention she received from various staff on duty was very professional and at times quite moving. I am sure had my mam been admitted at an earlier time she would have loved it.
Finally, on behalf of myself, my brother and sister may we offer our heartfelt thanks and wish all the management, staff and residents a Happy Christmas and healthy new year.

How likely would you be to recommend Tenlands Care Home? Extremely Likely

The staff were really good with dad, helping him decide to stay at Tenlands. He had thought to go home but accepted the care offered. More staff would make day to day duties easier for everyone. In times of need, dad had all the assistance he required. Some exceptional staff helped make dads stay as good an experience as possible.

How likely would you be to recommend Tenlands Care Home? Extremely Likely

Dad due to be discharged from NHS on 11th November with no time to research where he would stay. Social services recommended Tenlands Care Home.
All the staff have made the short time before his death on 22nd to be happy, settled and feeling that he wanted to stay with you, so much so that he wanted the nurse to look after him at the end. Thanks to the staff for their care, love and attention to dads wishes.

Thank You.

How likely would you be to recommend Tenlands Care Home? Extremely Likely

My step-mum was taken into care at Tenlands in January 2015 and has been very happy, well cared for and I am extremely happy with the care she is receiving. All the staff are very polite and caring and at this moment in time, I could not wish for better.

How likely would you be to recommend Tenlands Care Home? Extremely Likely

The care and attention my wife is getting in Tenlands are excellent. We couldn't wish for anywhere better. The management and all the staff are brilliant. Nothing is too much trouble. I would recommend it to anyone. I would personally like to thank all the staff so very much for all the kindness shown to my wife.

How likely would you be to recommend Tenlands Care Home? Extremely Likely

Generally a good home with some variety of activities. One key area is to develop the toilet facilities. There are often queries of residents needing the loo.

How likely would you be to recommend Tenlands Care Home? Likely

HC-One, Careline Team at Tenlands Care Home responded to this review on 07 Nov 2016:

We have completed a refurbishment to our downstairs bathroom in zone 1 which now has easy accessible toilet facilities for our Residents. We have a total number of 5 communal toilets downstairs and Residents are encouraged to use all the facilities provided, however often choose to use the facilities located near to the main lounge which may at times cause a delay in availability.
We are planning to complete a refurbishment of the upstairs toilet and bathroom which will commence 7th November 2016.

Tenlands Care Home is more expensive than usual because it provides complete night service with two nurses and care workers as well on night shift but the handyman keeps the building and garden in first class repair and the toilets are always smell-free and there is a free laundry service. The food is prize winning over several years and the beds are all automatically adjustable and mine is extremely comfortable. A few bedrooms have flush toilets but none are fully en suite and there are separate showers and bathrooms in the same corridors, jugs of water or fruit juice are to hand all night in bedrooms.

How likely would you be to recommend Tenlands Care Home? Extremely Likely

I have always found the staff very helpful and pleasant.

How likely would you be to recommend Tenlands Care Home? Extremely Likely

I have no hesitation in recommending Tenlands Care Home to anyone who needs the professional care and support which this facility outstandingly delivers. From the moment my mother entered Tenlands until the present, almost five years, she has been treated with dignity and respect. Although her health has deteriorated due to her illness, she remains in a positive and good humoured state of mind, in safe and homely surroundings with exceptional hard working staff.

How likely would you be to recommend Tenlands Care Home? Extremely Likely

Staff are obliging and very helpful in everything, always willing to support me in every way.

How likely would you be to recommend Tenlands Care Home? Extremely Likely

I enjoy living here at 'Tenlands Care Home'. All of the staff are very good and caring. I enjoy having my nails done and the hairdresser. I also enjoy the guest singers and the and the activity coordinators.

How likely would you be to recommend Tenlands Care Home? Extremely Likely

Excellent care home, staff very attentive. Welcomed Gran like part of the family. Nothing was ever too much for them and they made her last weeks comfortable.

How likely would you be to recommend Tenlands Care Home? Extremely Likely

Clean, comfortable, caring. Very good. We celebrate our Golden wedding with the help of the staff they were great, they took photos which we appreciated. Many Thanks to everyone at Tenlands.

How likely would you be to recommend Tenlands Care Home? Extremely Likely

I took a good while to settle down in Tenlands for I was living on my own in rather a lovely dormer bungalow for over fourteen years and there are around 40 residents here. I lived near the sea at nearby Saltburn and miss the sea air in my garden, plus my good neighbours. The carers are nice, some pleasanter than others, at times I feel like blowing up. The manageress and staff are all excellent people who do a good job and are very kind. They have given me a lovely room in size, so I can have a lot of my treasured possessions from home with me. They do say I am a very sociable person.

How likely would you be to recommend Tenlands Care Home? Likely

I have found this care home very caring and efficient. They look after my mother very well. They have a good activity co-ordinator. It is very clean and staff are very helpful and supportive. The food is good, residents are always well fed and have a good choice.

How likely would you be to recommend Tenlands Care Home? Extremely Likely

My dad has been in this care home for some three years after suffering a stroke and is unable to speak now. Therefore, briefly I feel that he is receiving the best care possible.

How likely would you be to recommend Tenlands Care Home? Extremely Likely

After losing my mother here last year I decide to still visit the residents I got to know so well. I enjoy coming in and still be friendly with all the staff who make me very welcome. I would strongly recommend this home to anyone who has a loved one who needs care and is contemplating coming into a nursing home.

How likely would you be to recommend Tenlands Care Home? Extremely Likely

My mother was in Tendlands for 18 months, from going into the home till she passed away. She was treated with great respect and dignity, enjoyed all meals and lovely snacks. Staff are very dedicated. Home is always spotless. Mam always enjoyed all activities. I was so pleased mam ended her days in such a loving and caring environment.

How likely would you be to recommend Tenlands Care Home? Extremely Likely

My husband was taken to hospital with pressure sores to his feet and body, an impacted bowel and a severe infection in his system. He was treated and then sent to Tenlands for future care.
They have provided excellent all round care, keeping him clean, tending to his sores and feeding him, ensuring he was kept hydrated. He is now much improved and ready to interact with the other residents. I cannot speak highly enough of the establishment and staff and I am eternally grateful to them all.

Submit a Review for Tenlands Care Home

posted 08 May 2018

Please contact us for information regarding our bed availability

April 2014

2014 Carehome.co.uk Awards

Recipient: Tenlands Care Home

Date: Friday 04 Apr 2014

February 2014

Victoria

Victoria Leighton

Joined: 2012

What does kindness mean to you?

“Kind care to me means that my Residents are listened to and cared for in a dignified manner and their choices and wishes are respected.”

As a Registered Nurse, Victoria has gained more than 15 years’ experience in providing care and support for elderly people to enrich their lives. She is a knowledgeable and dedicated leader who is passionate about delivering the highest possible standards in care and quality of life for Residents.

Having worked at Tenlands for several years, Victoria shares HC-One’s vision in aiming to provide the kindest care for each and every Resident. She uses her experience to motivate her team to deliver care and support in a way that Residents gain the most benefit, in a warm and welcoming home.

She also works hard to arrange events and activities with nearby organisations and is always quick to welcome the local community to Tenlands.

When asked what she enjoys most about her role, Victoria remarked: “I get a huge sense of fulfilment from being amongst our Residents and seeing the improved quality of life we are able to provide.”

Outside of work, Victoria enjoys spending time with her daughter and socialising with friends and family.

If you would like to find out more information about Tenlands, Victoria has an ‘Open Door Policy’ and would be pleased to welcome you for an informal discussion.

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Tenlands Care Home