Barchester Four Hills Care Home

8 Hazlitt Street, Ruchill, Glasgow G20 9NU

Barchester Four Hills Care Home, Glasgow, Glasgow City

At Four Hills staff and residents are lucky to have the best of both worlds - located in the north of Glasgow, just a stone's throw from the bustling west-end and the city centre; yet a half hour drive will take you to the bonny banks of Loch Lomond. Four Hills is a modern, purpose-built care home situated in the Ruchill housing area; where the home is at the heart of the community. Professionals provide first-class 24-hour nursing and personal care.

A team of highly-qualified and attentive staff really focus on the individual needs of residents with a tailored care plan for each person. And their dedication can be seen across the board - in their cooking, hospitality and organising activities for residents.

Group: Barchester Healthcare Ltd

Person in charge: Gillian McKnight (General Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Glasgow City Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 120 Service Users

Registered Care Categories*: Old Age • Physical Disability

Admission Information: Admitted via local hospital & Local Community. Ages 65+.

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Smoking not permitted • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Residents Kitchenette • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

Open visiting

Parking available

Latest Care Inspectorate* Report on Barchester Four Hills Care Home: click here

posted 30 Oct 2017

We currently have limited availability. Please contact us to discuss your needs further, we would love to welcome you for a visit.

8.7 Barchester Four Hills Care Home has a Review Score of 8.7 (8.741)

The Review Score of 8.7 (maximum of 10) for Barchester Four Hills Care Home is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.5 out of 5 from 9 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Barchester Four Hills Care Home in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 4.2 out of 5 from 5 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.533 for Barchester Four Hills Care Home is calculated as follows: ( (67 Excellents x 5) + (27 Goods x 4) + (11 Satisfactorys x 3) ) ÷ 105 Ratings = 4.533

The 4.208 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Barchester Four Hills Care Home is based on 5 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 24 positive Reviews (120 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 5 Reviews ÷ 24 Target = 0.208

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Barchester Four Hills Care Home?

Reviewer Connection to Barchester Four Hills Care Home

• Nephew of Resident/Service User

Four Hills is well administered as well as clean and tidy, both individual rooms and common areas.
The home is well staffed and the staff are skilled in all relevant areas, very competent and take a friendly and individual interest in all the residents.
Small events take place frequently and visitors are very welcome.

How likely would you be to recommend Barchester Four Hills Care Home? Extremely Likely

Gillian McKnight, General Manager at Barchester Four Hills Care Home responded to this review on 10 May 2017:

Thank you so much for the lovely words relating to the home and the staff. We all appreciate it greatly.

Dad's diabetes has been out of control for some months whilst in hospital. Four Hills nursing and care staff have made significant efforts to control his blood sugar by testing his blood up to six times a day adjusting his insulin as required and carefully receiving his food intake. He has other health problems which exacerbate diabetes and they have helped to manage and control his condition while dealing expertly and sympathetically with is other problems.

I feel the staff are very helpful. Nothing seems to be a bother for them, they are very kind to the residents. They treat them like they're their family.

Chloe Durnan, Admin at Barchester Four Hills Care Home responded to this review on 15 Mar 2017:

Thank you for your kind words, Irene.

Our mum will be in Four Hills Care Home 2 years April this year 2017. The standard of care is very good. The staff do a great job and make the family feel welcome when we visit mum, from the girls at the front desk to nurses, carers and the domestic staff.

How likely would you be to recommend Barchester Four Hills Care Home? Don't know

Staff are always on hand to give advice and help from maintenance, domestics, nurses, reception and management. This care home is well run and very welcoming to family and friends. They keep me (as the resident's daughter) well informed and up to date with my father's care and day to day.

The best care home ever...
Facilities are great, clean, homely and everything you could need.
Food is excellent, always a great menu and great quality.
The best factor is the staff, everyone is wonderful.
They do a hard job well and nothing is too much bother for them. Emphasis it is providing home from home comforts and it shows.
Wonderful place.

My father was cared for in the Lambhill Unit by wonderful staff who not only looked after him but the whole family. Nothing was a bother and made us feel still very much part of his care. My dad loved the banter with the staff and had a wicked sense of humour which he maintained to the end. In the last few days of my dad's life the staff went about the business with compassion, care, understanding and were very unobtrusive when dealing with such a painful situation for family.
Sadly I was unable to be there with my dad at the end, my sisters were, as I live in Australia but never in his time there did the staff make me feel I was a nuisance when I called. The care he received was second to none and I would have no hesitation in recommending Fourhills to anyone looking for a care facility for their loved one. The staff made us feel they treated the residents like their own family, sadly something not every care home does.
Some areas looked tired but the care made up for that.

My dad was transferred from the royal infirmary Glasgow to Four Hills for palliative care where the staff have been lovely to my dad, nothing is too much for any of the staff as dad is getting better I would just like to say a big thank you to all the staff for Excellent care. Dad has his up's and downs, the staff could see this so would leave him to come round.. BIG THANK YOU

How likely would you be to recommend Barchester Four Hills Care Home? Likely

Our aunt was transferred from Glasgow Royal Infirmary to Four Hills for palliative care and she was very worried about "going into a home". When we visited her on her first day we were very impressed with the ambience and overall condition, appearance and feeling of the home. We cannot overstate the level of personal care and attention ALL of the carers in Firhill section provided to us personally as relatives and visitors, and more importantly the care that our aunt received during her short stay at Four Hills. The knowledge that everyone at Four Hills eased the passing of our beloved aunt made our experience considerably less anxious and more bearable.
MANY THANKS TO ALL MEMBERS OF THE FOUR HILLS TEAM.

Submit a Review for Barchester Four Hills Care Home

February 2015

Gillian

Gillian McKnight

Joined: 2010

My name is Gillian McKnight and I have been the General Manager at Four Hills since January 2010.

I have worked in the home since 1996 starting off as the Administrator and thereafter being promoted to the Assistant Manager.

Prior to coming to Four Hills I worked for many years with the NHS and also in a drug and alcohol rehabilitation unit. Four Hills however has been by far the place where I have received the greatest job satisfaction.

I am not alone with a long service to the home with many of the team having 10, 15 and even 20 years service!

Four Hills has a really homely atmosphere and I am sure this is down to the team being so positive about the home and all who live here.

Isla Sinclair

Job Title: Deputy General Manager

Isla has been the deputy manager in Four Hills for over 4 years. She has over 20 years clinical experience as an RGN.

"My role as deputy manager is to support and assist the General Manager and home’s care team in delivering the homes ethos of a consistent delivery of high quality care, by utilizing my skills, knowledge and previous experience.

In my role as Home Trainer, I lead a team of trainers in ensuring our staff remain professionally updated and undertake all legal and mandatory training. I also organize specialist training that may be required to meet the specific needs of residents.

I enjoy my role as I get regular opportunities to talk to residents and relatives and iron out any issues, I also get satisfaction in meeting our residents and relatives needs. What I love about Four Hills Care Home is that our team is totally dedicated. This means that our standard of care is high - something of which we can be truly proud."

Margaret Baillie

Job Title: Administrator

I have recently joined the team at Four Hills Care Home in late 2014. Managing our accounts and payroll is a full-on job but it's something I really enjoy. There's one thing that makes my job special - and that is seeing and chatting to our residents and being part of their lives. Being part of a company with such a fantastic reputation, with an emphasis on quality of care, I am looking forward to a new challenge in my career as well as gaining additional knowledge and qualifications on every level.

Margaret, Eric, Melanie & Belinda

Job Title: Charge Nurses

At Four Hills Care Home we are lucky to have four dedicated professionals who run our four houses.

Margaret has been with Four Hills for 14 Years and works diligently in our Maryhill House. Margaret has a great deal of experience working with the elderly and her team would be lost without her.

Eric has recently taken on the role of Charge Nurse in Firhill House, and is passionate about the care of his residents. Eric has been described as "one of life's gentlemen" and puts all of our residents' family members and visitors at ease.

Melanie is an integral member of our team and is the Charge Nurse of Ruchill House. She puts great effort into supporting her team and has had many great contributions within the home.

The Charge Nurse in our Lambhill House is none other than Belinda. The visitors in Lambhill report great satisfaction with her and her team, who always go to great lengths for their residents and relatives.

Tracy, Eric & Isla

Job Title: Home Training Team

Our Trainers believe in compassionate care for all people and to help and support in living the rest of their lives as independent and happy as possible. Nursing of the elderly requires an understanding of the human condition enhanced by compassion, patience and respect. At the same time great rewards can be gained by interacting with and learning from people who accumulate a lifetime of experience. The underlying principle in approaching the elderly person is to recognize and respect the individuality and uniqueness of the person.

Paul, Angus, John, Wesley, David, Lindsay, Grace & Shannon

Job Title: Kitchen Team

Food and nutrition is hugely important to our residents and our kitchen team endeavour to provide a varied seasonal menu of home cooked dishes, to suit every taste and dietary requirement. They chat with residents monthly at our residents and relatives meetings or more frequently if required, to ensure we are meeting their needs.

Marie, Liz & Lisa

Job Title: Activities coordinators

Our activities team delivers a diverse program of activities daily related to residents’ choices, hobbies and interests. This consists of events ranging from art and exercise sessions, games, baking, pampering, knitting and reminiscence. We also have external entertainers in on a regular basis so residents can enjoy a ‘sing a long’. We like to keep up to date with our residents by chatting to them at our residents and relatives meetings, at social gatherings or in one to one sessions. Our door is always open to suggestions to develop our activities agenda further!

William & Robert

Job Title: Maintenance Team

Our maintenance and gardening team take great pride in the maintenance of our building, equipment and grounds. They are available to residents to make their rooms more personal, a “home from home”.

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Barchester Four Hills Care Home