Douglas View Care Home, Hamilton, Lanarkshire

Douglas View Care Home is located in a residential area of Hamilton, Lanarkshire and provides dementia, nursing, general and specialist care for people living with a range of needs.

The home features a choice of comfortable and spacious lounge areas, complete with specially designed furnishings and well-equipped bedrooms, with some offering views of the home's garden.

Food at Douglas View is prepared by a team of skilled chefs who take pride in knowing the tastes of residents. They prepare home-cooked and nutritious meals while catering for a range of needs and dietary requirements.

Person in charge: Shona Blair (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: South Lanarkshire Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 100 Service Users

Specialist Care Categories: Alcohol Dependence (past or present) • Alzheimer's • Challenging Behaviour • Colitis & Crohn's Disease • Drug Dependence (past or present) • Epilepsy • Head/Brain Injury • Hearing Impairment • Orthopaedic • Parkinson's Disease • Speech Impairment • Stroke • Visual Impairment

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Separate Dementia Care Unit • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Bar/Cafe on premises • Residents Kitchenette • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

Latest Care Inspectorate* Report on Douglas View Care Home: click here

posted 17 Oct 2017

Please contact us for information regarding our bed availability

9.2 Douglas View Care Home has a Review Score of 9.2 (9.156)

The Review Score of 9.2 (maximum of 10) for Douglas View Care Home is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.5 out of 5 from 37 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Douglas View Care Home in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 4.7 out of 5 from 14 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.456 for Douglas View Care Home is calculated as follows: ( (236 Excellents x 5) + (176 Goods x 4) + (23 Satisfactorys x 3) + (6 Poors x 2) ) ÷ 441 Ratings = 4.456

The 4.7 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Douglas View Care Home is based on 14 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 20 positive Reviews (100 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 14 Reviews ÷ 20 Target = 0.700

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Douglas View Care Home?

Reviewer Connection to Douglas View Care Home

All staff so kind and helpful and keep me cheery.

How likely would you be to recommend Douglas View Care Home? Likely

I have no complaints about the way my wife was treated by staff. In fact, they were very good.

How likely would you be to recommend Douglas View Care Home? Extremely Likely

The home is wonderful. I have no complaints at all.

Very good.

How likely would you be to recommend Douglas View Care Home? Extremely Likely

My father is well looked after. Appears to be settled content in the home. Enjoys the food. Room clean, the public areas are clean and looked after.

How likely would you be to recommend Douglas View Care Home? Extremely Likely

My mother stays at Douglas View Care Home from March 2016 - May 2017. I have nothing but praise for all staff who cared fro my mum. Especially her last few months. They are a credit to the home.
My mother enjoyed the care and company and loved all the activities that were available. My sincere thanks to all.

How likely would you be to recommend Douglas View Care Home? Extremely Likely

When we arrived at Douglas View we were shown my dad's room, luckily a family member knew their way about and took us around to show us. I can't comment on during the day as we, as a family took my dad out each day.
My dad's last night wasn't good, he wouldn't let me leave him and I asked staff to take him away or distract him for me, but I was told there wasn't enough staff to do that. I phoned my family for support.
This was a terrible experience for us as a family and with it being my dad's first time in respite, we are totally put off ever doing it again.

How likely would you be to recommend Douglas View Care Home? Unlikely

Overall Standard: Poor

Care / Support: Poor

Staff: Poor

Safety / Security: Poor

Value for Money: Poor

Claire Hurworth, Careline Manager at Douglas View Care Home responded to this review on 06 Jun 2017:

Thank you for taking the time to feedback to us regarding your experience at Douglas View. At HC-One we strive to provide the kindest care and on this occasion, we can only apologise that your experience fell short of this. Staffing levels are reviewed on a daily basis in relation to the needs of the residents and therefore staff should have been available to assist you during this stressful time. Please be assured that this unfortunate incident will be investigated and appropriate action taken where necessary.

Having worried about now having to put my 86 year old mother into a care home I am very happy I chose Douglas View Care Home after looking at five or six in the area.
Care staff and office staff cannot have been more helpful and I would recommend Douglas View to anyone looking.

How likely would you be to recommend Douglas View Care Home? Extremely Likely

My mum has just recently gone into Douglas View (27/3/17) and I can't praise it highly enough on first impressions. The staff are all so friendly and nothing is too much trouble. For the first time since my mum went into hospital, she is now eating better, has started trying to communicate, is being dressed and spends time in the day room, which is a huge improvement to lying in a bed all day long. I appreciate how difficult this job could be and yet the staff are always smiling and most importantly seem to really 'CARE'. Thank you. Can't wait now to decorate my mum's room. I could write so much more.

How likely would you be to recommend Douglas View Care Home? Extremely Likely

My aunt is very happy with the care and staff in Douglas View, comments can't do enough for her. So if she is happy, I am happy.

How likely would you be to recommend Douglas View Care Home? Extremely Likely

Excellent care facilities with excellent staff who engage and are very caring to residents. Meals are of a high quality and are nutritious and appetising. Social activities are excellent and mum has been out to various social venues like restaurants and venues. Home is run to a very high standard and would be highly recommended by our family.

How likely would you be to recommend Douglas View Care Home? Extremely Likely

Find the home very organised. Staff are very approachable and helpful. Cleanliness very good. Room looks very comfortable. Don't think I could have found a nicer home.

How likely would you be to recommend Douglas View Care Home? Extremely Likely

Very welcoming and made my wife comfortable on arrival. Been very good providing medication and care required. Staff are always pleasant and helpful.

How likely would you be to recommend Douglas View Care Home? Extremely Likely

My aunt has been in the Avon unit at Douglas View since November 2016 and despite her deteriorating condition, I am happy with the care she is receiving from the care team. As a whole, the staff are happy to spend time updating me about my aunt. When agency staff are working they do not appear to know much information about the residents. My aunt was an emergency admission but if I had visited the unit prior to this, I would not have chosen it due to the very strong smell of urine which never goes away. The staff make it worth the while.

How likely would you be to recommend Douglas View Care Home? Neither Unlikely or Likely

HC-One, Careline Team at Douglas View Care Home responded to this review on 02 Feb 2017:

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We are sorry to hear that you were aware of odours in the home and have had some issues with communication from agency staff. We strive to ensure that odours are kept to a minimum and we shall investigate and take appropriate action to address this issue as a matter of priority and this shall be reviewed regularly. Unfortunately due to staff vacancies and sickness we sometimes need to use agency staff who are not as familiar with our Residents as our own staff.

This can therefore, lead to a breakdown in communication but this should be kept to a minimum as there are always permanent members of staff on duty who are fully aware of our Resident’s needs. Should you experience any further issues we would appreciate if this could be brought to the attention of staff and management to ensure prompt action is taken to resolve. The welfare and comfort of our Residents as always remains the focus, ensuring the best care possible is paramount to our actions. We shall continue to work to ensure this is maintained going forward.

My father-in-law has been a resident in Douglas View Care Home since February 2016. He is well cared for and is treated with compassion and dignity. He can no longer walk and finds this very frustrating, but from spending 4 months bed-bound in hospital we are pleased he is now up every day and able to interact with others.
We are particularly pleased with the number of, and the variety of activities he has been involved in. The activities coordinator is dedicated and works very hard to make my father-in-law's life (without his wife and family) more bearable.
Any issues we have raised have been addressed quickly.

How likely would you be to recommend Douglas View Care Home? Likely

My husband was in the home from Easter 2016 until October 2016, he was happy in Douglas View he liked his room and he loved the food and found the staff very kind and helpful.
I and my family our son and daughter all liked how happy he was and found the staff kind and helpful. On the day he died the staff said how much they would miss him.

How likely would you be to recommend Douglas View Care Home? Likely

Myself and all of the family wish to thank the manager and all her staff, the admin staff, the nurses and the carers for the help, comfort and care given to my mother during her short stay in the care home. Also for the help and advice given to the family.
Myself and my family would not hesitate to recommend Douglas View Care Home to anyone looking for a care home.
Wishing you all well for the future.

How likely would you be to recommend Douglas View Care Home? Extremely Likely

Very happy with service, my wife has been treated well.

How likely would you be to recommend Douglas View Care Home? Extremely Likely

Very pleased with the care my cousin is receiving. Staff are very friendly and always acknowledge us when we visit. My cousin has issues about washing and the staff handle this as best they can. He settled in very quickly. Feel he should be taken out for a walk more often; even if it is a short walk around the block.

Safety / Security: Poor

She seems to be content and well cared for, any time we visit. The staff are very helpful and caring and are able to answer any questions we have. The surroundings are always clean and cheerful, the recent redecoration is very nice.

How likely would you be to recommend Douglas View Care Home? Extremely Likely

I feel my friend receives very good care despite her dementia. Anything I ask about is addressed appropriately. I feel the staff genuinely care about her and are kind and thoughtful.

How likely would you be to recommend Douglas View Care Home? Extremely Likely

The staff were very helpful asking me how I was settling in. I am very happy here and have made lots of new friends.

How likely would you be to recommend Douglas View Care Home? Likely

I feel safe and like all the meals and friends I have met in Douglas View. The rooms are lovely, staff very helpful and cheery. See the manager a lot. I still like going out with family. Enjoy the activities especially cinema and fish and chips night.

How likely would you be to recommend Douglas View Care Home? Extremely Likely

My mother lives in Douglas View Care Home, she is well looked after, she enjoys all the activities, from poetry reading to home baking. The care home is well run, it is always clean and there is always staff in attendance to make sure the residents are safe and happy.
I would recommend Douglas View Care Home to anyone, from the manager to the cleaners, they care about all residents and there is always someone to talk to if you need any help.

How likely would you be to recommend Douglas View Care Home? Extremely Likely

Staff very helpful, nothing seems to be a bother, always smiling and treat patients/residents with a professional and nice manner. Any questions relating to residents are answered with a knowledge relating to people who know their profession. In the short time my mother has been there I have been impressed with management and staff. Home always clean and tidy, medication administered on time food a good standard.

How likely would you be to recommend Douglas View Care Home? Extremely Likely

My dad has been in Douglas view for two years since coming in I have seen a massive improvement in him we couldn't thank the staff enough. They have been great and have put mine and my families minds at rest knowing he's comfortable and well looked after. Thanks

How likely would you be to recommend Douglas View Care Home? Extremely Likely

Really pleased with the staff and management. Rooms clean, food great. I have seen a great improvement in my dad since he started living here and that has given our family great peace of mind.

How likely would you be to recommend Douglas View Care Home? Extremely Likely

Hi my mother has been in Douglas View care home for the past year, from drinking alcohol 7 days a week, smoking 20-30 cigarettes a day to not drinking at all and having no cigarettes in the past year, my god what a difference of a woman. I can't thank the nurses and management enough in helping my mother to what she is today, she's clean, fresh, fed well and smiling again. She has put weight back on, looks healthier than ever. The carers take a big weight off my shoulders with their service and I could not thank them enough.

How likely would you be to recommend Douglas View Care Home? Extremely Likely

My mother was suddenly taken in for respite and it was decided she is better remaining here for her health. A residential room found very quickly. The staff could not be more kind. Very good meals provided.

How likely would you be to recommend Douglas View Care Home? Extremely Likely

Our family visited several care homes in the area prior to our sister being admitted to permanent care. Douglas View stood out from the others. The professionalism and care provided continue to reassure us that our sister is getting the best possible care.

How likely would you be to recommend Douglas View Care Home? Likely

My aunt has been a resident for 2 months I have found that the staff are very helpful, approachable and eager to assist. The office staff are friendly and helpful, and the manager is available to ask questions or for a chat. Other residents are happy and enjoy their meals (as I have seen when assisting my aunt in the dining room) they have a varied choice of meals. There are activities that my aunt has taken part in and this is vital to keep her motivated. All in all, I am satisfied with the care she is receiving.

How likely would you be to recommend Douglas View Care Home? Extremely Likely

I have stayed in Douglas View for 10 years, there have been a lot of changes throughout the years. My partner is happy in here, safe and secure, I get on well with the staff and management. Douglas View is looking good due to the new décor and refurb. I like the weekends when the bar is opened.

How likely would you be to recommend Douglas View Care Home? Extremely Likely

My sister has been well cared for and any information we ask about the staff are very helpful.
My sister is kept very clean and her room is clean and tidy.
The meals are good.

How likely would you be to recommend Douglas View Care Home? Likely

I have been a resident in Douglas View for 4 years, I have seen changes for the better, staff are very helpful and supportive in my needs. I feel very relaxed and safe in the environment, at the moment the place is getting refurbished and looking good and welcoming.

How likely would you be to recommend Douglas View Care Home? Extremely Likely

I like staying in Douglas View, feel secure and get looked after by good staff and management.

How likely would you be to recommend Douglas View Care Home? Likely

My mum became a resident at Douglas View Care Home in July 2014 and over the course of the last 15 months, she has settled in well and she has become a part of the Douglas View community/family. This had been possible due to the caring, thoughtful and conscientious staff alongside family and friends. The shared sense of fun and humour between staff and residents together with excellent communication skills was obvious among the staff on a daily basis.

How likely would you be to recommend Douglas View Care Home? Extremely Likely

Staff are genuinely caring and interested in the residents. Initially we had some concerns about the turnover but this seems to have been resolved. In theory the activities programme is a super attraction, but in practice subject to alterations and last minute cancellations. Understandably item of clothing etc. do get mislaid and more could be some to ensure that personal belongings are returned to the correct rooms. Facilities for visitors are currently being improved i.e coffee bar/ meeting place and this is long overdue. I would be very keen to have a brief written update on mums week (behaviour, health, appetite) perhaps by email.

Submit a Review for Douglas View Care Home

Recipient: HC-One

December 2016

Recipient: HC-One

Shona

Shona Blair

Joined: 2010

As a Registered Nurse, Shona has gained more than 25 years’ experience in providing care and nursing support to elderly people, to enrich their lives. She is a committed and knowledgeable leader who is passionate about delivering the highest standards in care and quality of life for Residents.

Shona joined the team at Douglas View as she shares HC-One’s vision in aiming to provide the kindest care for each and every Resident. She extends this caring approach to her colleagues and works closely with them to deliver care and support to Residents in a way that they gain the most benefit, in a warm and welcoming home.

She also works hard to arrange events and activities with nearby schools and church groups and is always keen to include the local community in life at Douglas View.

When asked what she enjoys most about her role, Shona remarked: “I take enormous satisfaction from knowing that everyone at Douglas View is working together to provide excellent care for our Residents.”

Outside of work, Shona loves spending time with her family, whether it be out motorcycling with her husband, or relaxing with her two teenage sons and their beloved springer spaniel.

If you would like to find out more information about Douglas View, Shona has an ‘Open Door Policy’ and would be pleased to welcome you for an informal discussion.

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Douglas View Care Home