Winchcombe Place

Maple Crescent, Newbury RG14 1LN

Winchcombe Place is a purpose-built Care UK home in Newbury, which opened in April 2014. The care home provides professional and personalised care provision, with superbly decorated interiors and attractive gardens.

The home is ideal for a wide range of care needs, including specialist residential care, and the care team are fully trained to provide care to meet the sometimes complex challenges of dementia care.

Care is based around personal interests and hobbies. There is a coffee shop, hair salon and cinema on site.

Group: Care UK Nursing & Residential Care Services

Person in charge: Cliff Hutchings (Home Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: West Berkshire Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 80 Service Users

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Respite Care • Pets by arrangement • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Bar/Cafe on premises • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

When travelling to the home by car, use sat nav postcode
RG14 1LL

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Winchcombe Place: click here

The Review Score of 9.5 (maximum of 10) for Winchcombe Place is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.6 out of 5 from 23 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Winchcombe Place in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 4.9 out of 5 from 14 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.588 for Winchcombe Place is calculated as follows: ( (189 Excellents x 5) + (66 Goods x 4) + (11 Satisfactorys x 3) + (7 Poors x 2) + (1 Very Poors x 1) ) ÷ 274 Ratings = 4.588

The 4.875 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Winchcombe Place is based on 14 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 16 positive Reviews (80 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 14 Reviews ÷ 16 Target = 0.875

9.5 Winchcombe Place has a Review Score of 9.5 (9.463) from 23 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Winchcombe Place?

Reviewer Connection to Winchcombe Place

I have been really impressed with everything I have encountered at Winchcombe. The staff are first class. There is a lovely atmosphere about the place and my mother is very happy here. It is such a relief to know she is receiving the best of care.

How likely would you be to recommend Winchcombe Place? Extremely Likely

Very nice home from home. Light and bright. General dementia and nursing care on 3 floors. Caring staff who work very hard. Excellent activities although not all residents can partake as some are rather poorly. I am happy for my mother in law to live here and wish I had known about the home for my own mother. I am a fussy reviewer.

How likely would you be to recommend Winchcombe Place? Likely

From initial visit through to my father's admission to Winchcombe Place, we have found the service to be very professional and caring. The home is always clean and the staff seem happy to help in any way possible. We are so happy we found Winchcombe Place.

How likely would you be to recommend Winchcombe Place? Extremely Likely

Our 91-year-old mother has only been at Winchcombe Place for just over a week following discharge from hospital having broken her hip.
She seems contented and has settled in very quickly, which we think is due to the warm homely surroundings and the tact and compassion of the staff. Our mother being happy means we are happy! Well done Winchcombe Place.

How likely would you be to recommend Winchcombe Place? Extremely Likely

My mother has recently moved into Winchcombe Place and has settled well largely due to amazing staff. They have made her feel welcome and are very respectful of her needs. They all respond quickly to both mine and my mother's requests and her changing needs. I was delighted to see my mother participating in activities with other residents in the excellent coffee shop area - something I never thought I would see.

How likely would you be to recommend Winchcombe Place? Extremely Likely

During the recent end of life care for my father, every member of the team at Winchcombe was kind, caring and compassionate both to dad and the family. He was treated with great dignity at all times and we are very grateful.
While we were with dad at various times of day and night we heard many staff interactions with other residents and they were always patient, kind and respectful.
Mum is also at Winchcombe, her behaviour can be quite challenging and even more so with her bereavement but again the team show nothing but patience and kindness towards her. They are always responsive to her and our needs.

How likely would you be to recommend Winchcombe Place? Extremely Likely

My mum has been at Winchcombe place for about 4 months - for the first few weeks, I was very impressed with the care she received. Unfortunately, she becomes psychotic and was moved to the second floor. Since then the care has been disappointing - the move was not conducted well - they lost personal items of hers, the room light doesn't work and the armchair was stained. The handover was poor about her preferences in terms of what she likes to eat and drink, the feedback to the mental health team was inaccurate and the staff seem irritated by her. The management team are new and seem good and focussed so am hoping to see some improvements.

How likely would you be to recommend Winchcombe Place? Unlikely

Samantha Debenham, Marketing Support Administrator at Winchcombe Place responded to this review on 29 Nov 2017:

We appreciate your feedback about your mum's care at Winchcombe Place. We are delighted that you were impressed with the care before your mum was moved to the nursing suite. However, we are sorry to hear about your recent disappointments. The move was in her best interests, offering a more conducive environment to her present care needs. Since your initial concerns, we have developed a multi-step action plan with you to help us support your mum and allay your fears, working alongside our senior specialist nurse practitioner and the appropriate external teams. I do hope that by now you have already noted improvements. Our staff have had received specialist training on psychosis to give them a better understanding of this condition. The chef now has a dietary notification of your mum's preferences which has been cascaded to all staff. The bedroom light has been fixed, the chair has been deep cleaned and her calendar has been reinstated. We have also tried very hard to replicate the bedroom to match the layout of the residential suite to reduce confusion.

When our Mother first came to Winchcombe Place, she was very unsettled and unresponsive to family and visitors. Our Mother has recently moved from the 2nd floor to the ground floor as her health has improved. The difference in our mothers response to the family and friends visiting her has changed, she is engaged in our conversation and playing scrabble again things I thought were lost for ever, not everything is wonderful, the admin and communication could be improved, but the care our Mother receives is very good and she has benefited enormously.

How likely would you be to recommend Winchcombe Place? Likely

Samantha Debenham, Marketing Support Administrator at Winchcombe Place responded to this review on 14 Sep 2017:

We are delighted to hear your positive comments about your mother’s care at Winchcombe Place. It’s wonderful to hear that she is now more engaged and playing scrabble once more. We have listened to your comments about the admin and communication. Following our conversation, we can assure you that our systems have been updated and staff made aware to ensure that the correct members of your family are notified in relation to particular topics about your mother. Should you have any further concerns, please don’t hesitate to bring them to our attention

I cannot express enough how well organised, friendly and well equipped this home is.
Everything is explained in detail and all staff are happy to assist whatever the problem. Moving in was well organised and quick. The cleanliness is fantastic, housekeeping team couldn't do any better. From the time I walk in to visit my sister to when I leave, I feel so relaxed because everyone and the atmosphere is just perfect.
I know my sister is happy to be here as she hasn't stopped smiling since she arrived, something we haven't seen for a very long time. Thank you, everyone, fantastic job.

How likely would you be to recommend Winchcombe Place? Extremely Likely

The staff are courteous and friendly. Most importantly, kind to residents. My husband is well cared for. The atmosphere in Winchcombe Place is lively, due to the many and varied activities organised for the benefit of the residents (and families where appropriate). Being purpose built is an advantage because corridors are wide (for wheelchairs) and rooms are large and airy - all very nicely decorated. Winchcombe Place promotes a happy, family atmosphere.

How likely would you be to recommend Winchcombe Place? Extremely Likely

My Mother is a resident in Winchcombe Place and has lived here for 18 months. During that time her quality of life has improved beyond our expectations. She is happy all the time, and not anxious anymore. She considers the carers 'as my friends' as she calls them. They all treat her as 'special' and as an individual.

Recently they organised a wishing well. Mum put her wish for a date with a handsome man win the well. The carers organised a gentleman well known to the home to have dinner with mum, he brought her a red rose and made her feel special. This was so wonderful and innovative. I can't thank them all enough.

How likely would you be to recommend Winchcombe Place? Extremely Likely

We have just moved my mother-in-law in Winchcombe Place as we have recently moved into the area. Our first meeting and look around Winchcombe Place really sealed it for us. All our questions were answered and so much more information was provided too. We were in regular contact in the lead up to the move with all questions and concerns being answered in a friendly and timely manner. My mother-in-law needed to be moved by private ambulance and the Customer Relations Manager even helped us to find the right people to assist with this.

A local staff member of another Care UK home visited and assessed my mother-in-law in her previous nursing home so the team at Winchcombe Place had a good understanding of her needs. There were additional staff on hand when she did move in to help and support her and after a very anxious day for us, we were met with smiling faces and a very much needed cup of tea. To me, it has been the extra thought and support that has confirmed we have made the right choice for my mother-in-law. Thank you.

How likely would you be to recommend Winchcombe Place? Extremely Likely

I am very happy with how my Mother has settled so well since she joined in February this year. The staff do an incredible job and are always so kind helpful and friendly towards my mother and I have no doubt that she is being well cared for. I would not hesitate in recommending Winchcombe Place.

How likely would you be to recommend Winchcombe Place? Extremely Likely

Winchcombe Place is a well-run, smart, clean and welcoming care home with good facilities for residents - the overall standard of care received by my father has been high to date. The residents' bedrooms are a good size with well-equipped ensuite bathrooms, whilst the communal areas are bright and well appointed. We particularly like the cinema room! One very reassuring aspect is the number and helpfulness of the staff plus the responsiveness of the management team - I have always had queries answered quickly and knowledgeably. More importantly when it is time for my father to take certain tablets a member of staff makes a point of coming to find him wherever we may have elected to base ourselves during his visit. The events program also looks pretty comprehensive and having tried the food, I would rate it as good. The muffins served in the coffee lounge are a particular high point! Overall well done to the Customer Relationship Manager and his team.

How likely would you be to recommend Winchcombe Place? Extremely Likely

So far all staff have treated residents and visitors with courtesy but the way the resident is assisted to dress and prepare for the day varies depending on who is on duty. Similarly, the residents' food and drink preferences are better followed by some than by others.

How likely would you be to recommend Winchcombe Place? Extremely Likely

The staff are friendly and welcoming. They treat my relative with dignity and show a good understanding of her needs.

How likely would you be to recommend Winchcombe Place? Likely

Really like the cafe, the whole place is pleasant, clean and tidy. Staff are friendly and personable. Always staff around and on hand. Very happy to have chosen Winchcombe Place.

How likely would you be to recommend Winchcombe Place? Extremely Likely

The entertainment and activities are brilliant. The staff are wonderful and caring in every aspect.
There is so much for the residents to get involved in. Very appreciated by the visitors, who can join in.

How likely would you be to recommend Winchcombe Place? Extremely Likely

Lovely home (like a 5-star hotel) with gentle, caring staff who supported us as a family. We were made to feel welcome and we could stay for meals which were lovely. The staff gave Dad so many choices and activities ie, trips out and pub nights and they really understood Dad's likes and dislikes. They dealt wonderfully with Dad's end of life care, totally understanding the families wishes. They ensured that Dad had a peaceful and dignified death and we can't thank them enough.

How likely would you be to recommend Winchcombe Place? Extremely Likely

Very pleased with the care provided during my father's stay. Good staff liaison, activities, food etc. End of life care excellent - cannot praise staff enough. You need a protocol after someone has died. On arrival, all staff sitting in the lounge - only one got up to greet us and nobody had stayed with the body - Did not stand as body taken from the building by undertakers but otherwise good.

How likely would you be to recommend Winchcombe Place? Extremely Likely

Samantha Debenham, Marketing Support Administrator at Winchcombe Place responded to this review on 20 Oct 2016:

We are grateful for your constructive feedback and are delighted with the positive comments and scores for the care and support we provide. We are very sorry to hear that you were unhappy with the experience you received when your father’s body was being collected from the home. We have shared your comments with the staff and will ensure they act more sensitively when dealing with grieving relatives in the future. We do follow a protocol in the event that relatives would like to visit following a death. Our staff will make the deceased look peaceful and presentable and will then lock the room awaiting the collection of the deceased. We endeavour to have a staff member accompany relatives or the funeral directors to the room when they arrive but not to stay with the deceased prior to this as the timings can be unpredictable. Thanks again for your feedback and please accept our sincere condolences for your loss.

This care home had the 'Wow' factor when we first looked round. The facilities are superb. However, it is the staff who made my aunts stay even more wonderful. They couldn't have done more for her or us to make it as homely as possible. They all go that extra mile - your customer service training must be brilliant. As a company, you should be very proud of your staff at Winchcombe. Please could you tell them! Thank you.

How likely would you be to recommend Winchcombe Place? Extremely Likely

Winchcombe Place is an excellent home for my father who is 90 but has all his faculties. The staff are caring, friendly and committed. I have already recommended it to others. The care staff are mindful of dad's dignity when bathing him. They have learned how he likes things done and accommodate him. The activity staff are very friendly and arrange singers to come in which he loves. Most of the activities however are female orientated or food orientated which doesn't suit him.

How likely would you be to recommend Winchcombe Place? Extremely Likely

Samantha Debenham, Marketing Support Admnistrator at Winchcombe Place responded to this review on 03 May 2016:

We’re grateful for your feedback and are delighted with the positive comments and scores for the care and support we provide. We would also like to thank you for the constructive feedback and the home manager would be happy to discuss this with you in more detail next time you visit the home.

Overall, my father enjoyed his time in Winchcombe and my sister and I were more than happy with what was provided for him.
He did say that he felt "isolated" on occasions and that there were no activities for him to join in. However, I think that this was more a matter of his perception as I know there were activities for him to join, had he wanted to.
We would like him to move in on a more permanent basis, but it may take time for him to accept the move. Perhaps another 'respite' stay will be appropriate.

Submit a Review for Winchcombe Place

posted 22 May 2018

Please call us on 0163 589 6385 for current bed vacancies

December 2017

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Winchcombe Place