Ivy Court is a purpose built Nursing Home in Norwich offering the highest standards of residential, nursing and specialist dementia care for up to 71 elderly residents, including trial stays, short stay and convalescent care, as well as long-term care.

Ivy Court benefits from a quiet residential location, while being close to local transport links to be easily accessible from within Norwich and the wider Norfolk area.

The facilities bedrooms and communal areas are designed and furnished to a high standard. Every bedroom has en-suite facilities and ground-floor rooms have private access to landscaped gardens. Communal living is enhanced with kitchenettes in the dining areas, and a range of seating areas offers residents an opportunity to relax.

Ivy Court offers a team of highly skilled and passionate support staff who provide high standards of tailored care designed to meet the unique needs of each person.

The care provider is designed to enable mobility in a safe environment and staff are trained to support residents independence.

The home operates an open visiting policy, where loved ones may visit residents at convenient times. There are separate spaces available for private parties, or for special family occasions.

Group: Caring Homes Group

Person in charge: Charles Leonard (Home Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Norfolk County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 71 Service Users

Specialist Care Categories: Alzheimer's • Bipolar/Manic Depression • Cancer Care • Cerebral Palsy • Challenging Behaviour • Colitis & Crohn's Disease • Drug Dependence (past or present) • Epilepsy • Head/Brain Injury • Hearing Impairment • Huntington's Disease • Motor Neurone Disease • Multiple Sclerosis • Muscular Dystrophy • Neuropathic • Orthopaedic • Parkinson's Disease • Schizophrenia • Speech Impairment • Spina Bifida & Hydrocephalus • Stroke • Visual Impairment

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Separate Dementia Care Unit • Own Furniture if required • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Bar/Cafe on premises • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Ivy Court: click here

The Review Score of 8.9 (maximum of 10) for Ivy Court is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.4 out of 5 from 26 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Ivy Court in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 4.4 out of 5 from 6 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.443 for Ivy Court is calculated as follows: ( (201 Excellents x 5) + (73 Goods x 4) + (12 Satisfactorys x 3) + (17 Poors x 2) + (6 Very Poors x 1) ) ÷ 309 Ratings = 4.443

The 4.423 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Ivy Court is based on 6 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 14.2 positive Reviews (71 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 6 Reviews ÷ 14.2 Target = 0.423

8.9 Ivy Court has a Review Score of 8.9 (8.866) from 26 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Ivy Court?

Reviewer Connection to Ivy Court

• Cousin of Resident/Service User

I have no fault to find with my father's care. If there have been any medical problems I have been informed and kept up to date with the care given. I have found the staff to be very kind and helpful both with my Father and myself. He is a very polite and gentle man and they treat him accordingly. His room is clean and comfortable and he is content and happy.

How likely would you be to recommend Ivy Court? Extremely Likely

Ivy Court is a modern and well-designed building with a beautiful south-facing garden but I chose this care home for my mother because I was impressed by the number of nurses.
I have complete faith in the medical team. Two weeks ago their swift reaction to my 93-year-old mothers emergency ensured she was soon in the ambulance.
Now, my mother has returned from hospital and is happy to be back amongst familiar and caring staff of all categories.

My mother has been in Ivy Court for over a year on the residential side. I can highly recommend this care home.

How likely would you be to recommend Ivy Court? Extremely Likely

When we visited my cousin, we were always impressed by the kindness and support to all the residents and visitors. The residents looked happy and cared for always treated with respect and dignity. Sadly, we have lost my cousin in the last few days. The staff cared for him and our family. It was a privilege to get to know a very dedicated caring staff. The family cannot thank them enough.

How likely would you be to recommend Ivy Court? Extremely Likely

My cousin has only been in Ivy Court for a short time, however, he has received excellent care. The staff are outstanding and we are extremely grateful.

How likely would you be to recommend Ivy Court? Extremely Likely

My husband was admitted to Ivy Court in May 2017. His care is excellent, staff are extremely kind and caring, taking an interest in him and also myself and my family and friends. There are activities each day if he wants to go. We have been on two trips out and he has plenty to eat. He is happy and contented.

How likely would you be to recommend Ivy Court? Extremely Likely

I would like to express my gratitude to the carers, nursing and kitchen staff for the care extended to my mother - there are many instances where staff have 'gone that extra mile' to take care of her.
Residents are continuously cared for with affection and respect, whilst paying attention to their developing and changing needs. Thank you.

How likely would you be to recommend Ivy Court? Extremely Likely

My mum is so happy and content at Ivy Court. The staff are lovely and really seem to care for her. The lead of the dementia unit has anticipated her needs and has driven the process of getting one to one care for the time of day that mum struggles to cope. This has made a big difference.
It's difficult in any organisation when there are staff changes, but there are great efforts made to get new staff trained up quickly, so they know their residents and good care can be maintained.

How likely would you be to recommend Ivy Court? Extremely Likely

I couldn't recommend this care home enough. My grandmother came in quite poorly and the staff were all incredible both to my grandmother and us as her family. Everyone is always smiling, the home is spotless and I can even bring my puppy to visit.

How likely would you be to recommend Ivy Court? Extremely Likely

My brother had suffered a stroke four years previously and had been living independently with a support package. His health had deteriorated over the last couple of months and the care company could no longer safely assist day to day living. Ivy Court was able to provide a room and support in care that has stabilised his health, no repeat of infections or need to go to A&E for unexplained health issues. The care provided has enabled him to stop needing so much intervention fro the health services and his situation to stabilise so that we can examine where we are and make decisions for the future.

How likely would you be to recommend Ivy Court? Extremely Likely

Very clean and the staff are very polite nothing is too much trouble.

How likely would you be to recommend Ivy Court? Extremely Likely

My 93-year-old mother moved into Ivy Court in September because she has vascular dementia and was not coping at home. The Home looks lovely but the first shock was the non-refundable administration fee of 2 weeks fees plus the deposit of the same amount. She was frightened of the other residents - both male and female who would wander into her room completely unchecked and because of her dementia was unable to ring her bell. We did not think she was safe. She was moved to the ground floor but that was also unsuccessful. The bells are too loud and the bed linen is cheap and nylon. Most of the staff were caring but the bells took a long time to be answered.
She was there for 7 weeks and the whole family were stressed. She is now in another Home and I feel she is safe. The set up is better because there is a central sitting room with staff about all the time to help her to the toilet. There was no administration fee and no deposit. Ivy Court is certainly not worth the money.

How likely would you be to recommend Ivy Court? Unlikely

Emma Mackenzie-Bedford, Home Manager at Ivy Court responded to this review on 16 Jan 2017:

Thank you for taking the time to review Ivy Court Nursing Home. At Ivy Court, we take great pride in ensuring we deliver safe, high-quality care and facilities. We always take the time to understand the needs and interests of our residents and we are saddened to hear we did not meet your expectations. We always welcome the opportunity to review and improve upon what we offer and thank you for sharing your thoughts with us.

Ivy Court is a beautiful place physically, but the overall experience of my friend who lived there for two months, moving out yesterday, was unfortunately one of frustration.

It was not uncommon for my friend to have to wait too long (after alerting staff) to be helped onto or off the toilet. And the overall impression was that she had to be careful where she was stationed (being wheelchair bound and not able to propel herself), as a member of staff might not come along for a long time to enquire whether everything was ok.

It wasn't all bad, there were better days, and some good care going on, but the service was not consistently good enough to build the kind of trust and confidence that was needed, in our case. And in the end the establishment failed to win us over, and my friend left for another care home.

How likely would you be to recommend Ivy Court? Unlikely

Emma Mackenzie-Bedford, Home Manager at Ivy Court responded to this review on 22 Nov 2016:

Thank you for taking the time to review Ivy Court, we really appreciate your feedback. At Ivy Court we take great pride in ensuring we deliver high-quality care and facilities. We are saddened to hear that your friends’ experience did not meet with expectations and wish her the very best for the future in her new home.

I visited this home today to visit my old neighbour from 60/70's. I travelled from Wisbech to Norwich then to Newton Flotman. When I arrived everyone was so nice, friendly and helpful and I found the place so very nice and pleasant. My friend was happy and healthy, clean and contented and the home itself was the very best I've ever seen. No smell of urine or anything else everyone was busy interacting with the patients I was very impressed. The homes in my area are not a bit like that.

How likely would you be to recommend Ivy Court? Extremely Likely

Having searched for a suitable home for my wife and found that the above home had the right requirements. My wife has been a resident here since last August and has settled in well. The general ambience of the home suits her requirements. Overall it is a happy home caring for all disabilities and those with Alzheimer's. The home is situated within well designed gardens with walkways and benches. Overall a lovely place.

How likely would you be to recommend Ivy Court? Extremely Likely

My grandmother has been here since September. She turned 101 on Sunday and is doing extremely well. All thanks to her outstanding care where the staff can't do more for her. Nothing is too much trouble. Would really like to thank all the staff. I would not hesitate to recommend this home to anyone.

How likely would you be to recommend Ivy Court? Extremely Likely

Very disappointed with care, service, knowledge of patient when family asked a question, most of the time nobody seemed to know, would go to try and find out and not come back with useful information, extortionate hospitality fees for things that were not used or needed.

How likely would you be to recommend Ivy Court? Extremely Unlikely

Emma Mackenzie Bedford, Home Manager at Ivy Court responded to this review on 23 May 2016:

Thank you for taking the time to review Ivy Court. As the new manager at Ivy Court I can say we take great pride in ensuring we deliver high quality care and facilities. We build our care team to ensure they are able to provide person centred care and spend valuable time with our residents. We always welcome the opportunity to improve, and value your feedback.

Mum has been a resident at Ivy Court since February the staff and management are very friendly and extremely helpful there is always a cheerful atmosphere. I always feel welcome when I visit mum the staff keep me well informed about mums care/ daily routine. Any concerns have been dealt with promptly. I really appreciate the caring attitude of all the staff. The manager is extremely approachable a good listener and always willing to talk to mum about her concerns and worries. The activities are well planned and all of the residents are encouraged to take part. The food is very good and there are always extra snacks and drinks on offer throughout the day. The facilities are extremely good there have been some teething problems with the new building but these are being dealt with. There are regular meetings for residents and there families where issues can be raised and information/ideas exchanged. I always feel confident that mum is safe and is being well cared for at Ivy court.

How likely would you be to recommend Ivy Court? Extremely Likely

My husband has been diagnosed with dementia and has had his first week of respite care at Ivey Court. We hope to repeat visits on a regular basis. We were delighted with the empathetic way we were treated and the high standard of care. The care home has obviously been planned with the residents needs paramount. A great asset for Norwich residents.

How likely would you be to recommend Ivy Court? Extremely Likely

I am so very impressed with the way staff members have treated my grandmother and other residents while I have been in Ivy Court, the standard of care is fantastic and I was particularly relieved that my toddler daughter and 4 yr old brother were made to feel welcome and even entertained during our visit, it can be difficult taking small children into these environments but our visits have been stress free thanks to the staff. I have also noticed a big change in my grandmother who is in the late stages of dementia. My only negative feedback would be to see the home is half empty as I feel it's a waste and people may be missing an opportunity to provide a loved one with the best care and comfort in my experience of care homes.

How likely would you be to recommend Ivy Court? Extremely Likely

Ivy Court has been fantastic for my father in every way. After a difficult time in hospital my father was moved to Ivy Court. Dad has dementia and was becoming aggressive and unmanageable in hospital but the staff at Ivy Court arranged the transfer and we have not looked back. They sorted out his medication and at the time he received one to one care attention for the whole day.
The staff are superb. They are caring, friendly and it's always the same staff who dad has now become familiar with. I cannot recommend Ivy Court enough and it has transformed my idea of care homes. Dad is happy and extremely well cared for with a beautiful room with a balcony overlooking the lovely gardens.

How likely would you be to recommend Ivy Court? Extremely Likely

I found most of the staff helpful but they were always so rushed they hadn't time to do the work as it should be done. The food was unnecessarily bad, except for the soup, cakes and sandwiches. I feel it should have been of a higher standard in view of the cost. The beds were uncomfortable. Sometimes I had a long wait for help.

How likely would you be to recommend Ivy Court? Likely

Sarah Scott, Marketing Executive at Ivy Court responded to this review on 14 Oct 2015:

We always welcome any feedback that will improve our service to meet and exceed our guests and residents expectations. Since receiving this feedback we have discussed concerns with Mrs G and family and are very pleased to share that these have been addressed, resolved and we will be welcoming Mrs G again soon. We believe that listening to our customers and their families is important and are confident that Mrs G's next stay with us will meet her standards and expectations.

Very pleased with the high standard of care. Staff are approachable, well trained and treat the residents with dignity. Staff have a high level of awareness of the residents needs and how to meet them. They have taken on board and integrated information provided by the family. Excellent catering, meeting nutritional needs. Well appointed rooms with lovely communal facilities. It is good that activities have started.

How likely would you be to recommend Ivy Court? Extremely Likely

My father has only recently transferred to Ivy Court from another care home where he spent nearly 3 years. The Ivy Court home is extremely comfortable and pleasant for him and consequently very comforting for his family knowing he has regained a high degree of his dignity. He is well cared for by very attentive and competent staff.

How likely would you be to recommend Ivy Court? Extremely Likely

My mum was very comfortable and well looked after, and all her needs were met. She loved the staff.

Excellent!

How likely would you be to recommend Ivy Court? Likely

My dad has been here a few days and is settling in well. The nurses and carers seem lovely and well trained. He is enjoying the food very much. The rooms are spacious and provide everything you could need, all with en suites and lots of natural light to promote a positive atmosphere. Thank you for all your support.

Submit a Review for Ivy Court

posted 09 Apr 2018

For the latest information about current Bed Vacancies please call 0808 202 0478 or email enquiries@caringhomes.org at Ivy Court.

Charles Leonard

Joined: 2018

I lead my professional Care Team in delivering the highest level of care and support for our residents.

My commitment to professional development has equipped me well for my role here, where I work hard to ensure that those in my care lead happy and fulfilling lives, whilst maintaining choice over the care and support they receive.

I believe in maintaining strong relationships with residents and their relatives and understand the important contribution that these relationships make to the successful running of a care home.

I feel that the Caring Homes philosophy matches up well with my own beliefs on care provision, and I am committed to ensuring that all our residents continue to receive the high levels of care and protection they deserve.

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Ivy Court