Silversprings

Tenpenny Hill, Thorrington, Colchester CO7 8JG

Silversprings is a residential home dedicated to providing the very best care to older people.

This architecturally-designed home is set within its own beautiful grounds and is decorated to the highest standard and features a full activities programme; all this, along with freshly prepared nutritious food.

The home is divided into three areas. Each area has its own living room and kitchenette, this sympathetic design creates a homely environment.

Within this unique setting, professionals look to set the highest standards in the provision of residential, dementia, nursing and high dependency needs as well as end of life care. The dedicated care team also provides short-term respite care.

Group: Care UK Nursing & Residential Care Services

Person in charge: Donna Cousins (Home Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Essex County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 64 Service Users

Specialist Care Categories: Alzheimer's • Hearing Impairment • Parkinson's Disease • Visual Impairment

Admission Information: Assessment of needs. Ages 65+.

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Smoking not permitted • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Residents Kitchenette • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Silversprings: click here

The Review Score of 8.5 (maximum of 10) for Silversprings is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.7 out of 5 from 21 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Silversprings in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 3.7 out of 5 from 3 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.732 for Silversprings is calculated as follows: ( (184 Excellents x 5) + (58 Goods x 4) + (4 Satisfactorys x 3) ) ÷ 246 Ratings = 4.732

The 3.734 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Silversprings is based on 3 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

1. 3 + 0.25 + 0.25 = 3.5

2. Target of 12.8 positive Reviews (64 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 3 Reviews ÷ 12.8 Target = 0.234

8.5 Silversprings has a Review Score of 8.5 (8.466) from 21 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Silversprings?

Reviewer Connection to Silversprings

When my mum came into Silversprings she was sad, frail, depressed, didn't care about how she looked, never eat very much. What a difference. Now she is happy, well fed, clean. I can't thank all involved enough. Plus she hays that she wants to stay here forever. What a difference now.

How likely would you be to recommend Silversprings? Extremely Likely

Excellent experience. Staff friendly and helpful. Relative well cared for.

How likely would you be to recommend Silversprings? Extremely Likely

I am extremely pleased and satisfied with the care my father received during his (unfortunately short) stay at Silversprings.
All the staff were extremely helpful and kind.
I could not have asked for a more caring attitude.
They were available to talk about my father whenever we needed it, and I will always be grateful that he ended his life here and not in a hospital.

How likely would you be to recommend Silversprings? Extremely Likely

So impressed with Silversprings. This is the best nursing home facilities I have encountered over many years as a GP working in many parts of England and Scotland. Spotlessly clean, no odours, really lovely staff who clearly care and are doing their best to ensure that happens. Really impressed. Well done. Staffing levels at weekends, especially morning seems at times less than usual.

How likely would you be to recommend Silversprings? Extremely Likely

When my 94-year-old, fiercely independent mum was rushed into hospital for a major operation it became clear that she wasn't well enough to be discharged to her own home. We were in despair until we found Silversprings. They moved heaven and earth to help us - within two days mum was out of the hospital and in a lovely room where she said, she was 'in the lap of luxury'. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff, they were flexible enough to meet all her needs, the food was outstanding and nursing care was available whenever required. In fact, Mum was so well cared for that she returned home within two weeks, almost fully recovered. It's also worth noting that we had paid for a week longer than Mum needed but the extra money was refunded in full. I would highly recommend Silversprings - they were there for us in dark days when we needed help. Thank you Silversprings!

How likely would you be to recommend Silversprings? Extremely Likely

I bring my wife to the Care Club each week. She enjoys her day at Silversprings where the staff are welcoming and professional. I appreciate the feedback given to me about how she has been throughout the day and what she ate, or left, at lunchtime.

How likely would you be to recommend Silversprings? Likely

My husband came to Silverspring only 3 days ago but he feels very relaxed because all the staff (admin, chefs and carers) have been very caring and friendly. Hopefully, fingers crossed, I am sure, this continues.

How likely would you be to recommend Silversprings? Extremely Likely

I started taking my wife for daycare about three months ago. I thought my wife wouldn't like it, I felt guilty but to my surprise she loved it. It was a beautiful building set in lovely grounds, it was clean and tidy and the staff were pleasant and helpful. My wife was quick to settle down soon made friends and enjoyed the activities and entertainment, she also enjoyed the meals. It gave me a little relief and time to myself

How likely would you be to recommend Silversprings? Likely

My sister is settling now a bit better she is very well cared for and safe. Has lunch there which is very good.

How likely would you be to recommend Silversprings? Extremely Likely

Silversprings Thorrington is quite excellent in every way. My wife had lost the use of her limbs, both arms and legs and was incontinent doubly so. Although she could hear, her speech was very limited with moderate Alzheimer's problem. The nursing staff fully understood her situation, she was turned every two/three hours and as a result, had no painful sore areas.
Equally, the staff were without exception, always cheerful, caring and all knew her Christian name from day one.

A first class home, a great comfort to me on her last days.

How likely would you be to recommend Silversprings? Extremely Likely

My mother stayed at Silversprings for the last eleven months of her life. She declined slowly with vascular dementia but was always treated with respect, kindness, and genuine affection. Mum declined swiftly in the last few weeks but the nursing staff were experienced, professional and understand the stages she was going through. Having such wisdom reassured us that Mum was in the best possible care. The staff could not have done more or shown more genuine affection. At the end, carers saw to her every need and she slipped away peacefully. Both her closest carers came to her funeral which was lovely.

How likely would you be to recommend Silversprings? Extremely Likely

My father returned to Silversprings again this year for respite for my mother to have a complete break. My father enjoyed the company of other residents in activity sessions. Found all staff friendly and helpful. Meal times and food choice excellent. Silversprings has wonderful grounds and my father enjoyed sitting in the gardens. My mother was able to go away on holiday confident that my father would be looked after to the highest standard. My mother will be only too pleased to return again next year.

How likely would you be to recommend Silversprings? Extremely Likely

My mum has started to attend day club regularly and she has settled in well. The staff are welcoming and engaging they made both my mum and I feel safe and secure. Attending day club has made mum more alert and relaxed. Mum has now experienced four weeks of respite care where she had enjoyed her time there and she has developed good relationships with staff and residents. I couldn't be more happier with the service and care. The rest has been invaluable to me everyone understands what I need. Thank you so much from the bottom of my heart.

How likely would you be to recommend Silversprings? Extremely Likely

My mother has been made to feel at home, cared for and safe. She is eating well and always appears happy. Her medical and personal care is wonderful. We all feel relaxed knowing she is somewhere comfortable.

How likely would you be to recommend Silversprings? Extremely Likely

I have known my friend for over 30 years and always done her hair! When she moved into Silversprings although they have a resident hairdresser they allowed me to continue to do my friend's hair as we had always done. Over the last year, she has settled in nicely and is very happy. The care she receives I think is great. She says she enjoys her meals and loves playing the games. She has skin issues and they have been kept well under control and always she is clean and tidy. Well done to the care staff at Silversprings.

How likely would you be to recommend Silversprings? Extremely Likely

Mum has been at Silversprings for over five years and is very well looked after there. The home itself is modern, clean and has lovely gardens.
Mum praises the carers and appreciates what they do for her. I also find them very cooperative and helpful.

How likely would you be to recommend Silversprings? Extremely Likely

The permanent staff are hard working and very caring. The home, however, lacks sufficient staff which results in the aims not always being met. Agency staff are obviously "not up to speed" and require the attention of the permanent staff, which means they are not always able to help. Frequently, staffing levels set by 'Care UK' are not met, e.g. One member of staff to seven residents in the lounge. Having said all this, I am satisfied with the care my wife receives.

How likely would you be to recommend Silversprings? Extremely Likely

Samantha Debenham, Marketing Support Administrator at Silversprings responded to this review on 06 Oct 2016:

Thank you, Glenn, for your comments - we are grateful for the feedback and so pleased that you are satisfied with the care your wife receives at Silversprings. With regards to the staffing levels, a full dependency analysis is carried out for each resident, which is then used to plan staff deployment accordingly to make sure care is safe and appropriate for each resident’s needs. We do aim for continuity of care – however, to cover annual leave and staff rotas, agency staff are sometimes required to ensure high levels of care across the home and maintain team levels. I would like to assure you that this is being monitored and that we take your concerns and feedback seriously.

On returning to Silversprings after having mum out for the day I asked her if she wanted to visit anywhere else and her reply was no thank you I would like to go back to see the girls meaning the staff. This made me very happy to know mum was happy.
Mums words "the staff are excellent they all made me feel like it was a family always popping gin to see if I needed anything". When our mum left Silversprings to go home she asked where we had found such a lovely home with such caring people to look after.

How likely would you be to recommend Silversprings? Extremely Likely

We had care from the time we walked through the door. A wonderful welcome from 3 smiling young girls, introduced us to people around us - sat us down with a cuppa and biscuits. We then rested until lunch. We were waited on very quickly with a lovely lunch, glasses filled. Lunch finished we were taken to the lounge. My sister and I went on a walk around the gardens which were so beautifully kept, we joined the others for entertainment of a singer (for half an hour we had word games in the morning).
A cuppa was given after the singer with a piece of cake. When we had to come home my sister said "See you next week", which was wonderful to her her say that. Thank you all.

How likely would you be to recommend Silversprings? Extremely Likely

My mother-in-law has only recently been a resident and has settled in straight away with the help of the excellent staff.

How likely would you be to recommend Silversprings? Extremely Likely

My dad had his world turned upside down in a month, lost his wife of 64 years and had to move out of his home of 30 years because he could not look after himself. He tried one home then he moved to Silver Springs after three weeks. You could not compare the two, the light, airy rooms, the friendly staff, the respect he was given and least of all he can have ice cream at every meal! At the other home this was a no no unless on the menu that day. It took six months but then he referred to it as "my home". He feels respected by staff, residents and their families and every thing is done to make him feel like this, for me knowing he is happy and cared for means so much.

Submit a Review for Silversprings

posted 22 May 2018

Please call us on 01206 805 893 for current bed vacancies

December 2017

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Silversprings