Signature South Lodge, Leicester, Leicestershire

Signature South Lodge, one of the newest care homes in Leicester, offers a mix of one-bed, deluxe one-bed, two-bed and studio apartments, as well as a specialist 17-suite dementia community.

As with all Signature care homes, South Lodge residents will also be given a bespoke care plan to completely meet their needs.

And because professionals know your well-being and safety are just as important as choice and freedom, you can relax knowing you are surrounded by 24 hour care and security should you need it.

Residents enjoy a full range of community facilities - including inviting lounge areas, communal TV rooms and a host of activities - whenever they want.

On warmer, sunnier days, residents enjoy coffee and croissants while relaxing on the terraces and patio areas. South Lodge’s extensive gardens also provide plenty of opportunity to tend to flowers and vegetables, or to simply watch the variety of local wildlife at play.

Group: Signature Senior Lifestyle Ltd

Person in charge: Michelle Whitmill (General Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Leicester City Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 106 Service Users

Specialist Care Categories: Alzheimer's • Parkinson's Disease

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Day Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Smoking not permitted • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Bar/Cafe on premises • Residents Kitchenette • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Signature South Lodge: click here

9.4 Signature South Lodge has a Review Score of 9.4 (9.360)

The Review Score of 9.4 (maximum of 10) for Signature South Lodge is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.6 out of 5 from 18 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Signature South Lodge in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 4.7 out of 5 from 15 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.652 for Signature South Lodge is calculated as follows: ( (150 Excellents x 5) + (41 Goods x 4) + (9 Satisfactorys x 3) + (4 Poors x 2) ) ÷ 204 Ratings = 4.652

The 4.708 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Signature South Lodge is based on 15 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 21.2 positive Reviews (106 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 15 Reviews ÷ 21.2 Target = 0.708

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Signature South Lodge?

Reviewer Connection to Signature South Lodge

• Power of Attorney/Solicitor of Resident/Service User
  • Respite Resident/Service User

Dad went into South Lodge in February 2016 for respite care after a couple of falls at home, but after only two days, the nurses were not happy with the colour and swelling of his foot. The GP was called and as a result, Dad had his right leg amputated above the knee. He took the choice himself to return to South Lodge.
His room was on the ground floor with a patio door to the gardens. Throughout his time in South Lodge, he was cared for and well fed. The nurses and care teams could not have been kinder. He was clean and safely moved every time with a hoist. He had his own TV and his own phone line into the room, and a library of paperbacks to work through. The manager's and key care workers assigned to him were readily available if I had questions, and when he passed away it meant a lot that so many came to say goodbye at the end of their shifts. His passing was calm, quiet and peaceful, and the care and kindness given to him and to us as the family was brilliant.

How likely would you be to recommend Signature South Lodge? Extremely Likely

Sarah Croxtall, Client Liaison Manager at Signature South Lodge responded to this review on 09 Nov 2017:

Thank you Jan, we really miss your dad, as do the birds and squirrels - they don't get nearly as well fed as when he was here!

Staff made me feel at home and welcome. The service was pretty attentive most of the time and most staff knew who I was. The majority of staff spoke good English and had a kindly attitude.
The food was excellent, however, it would have been useful if I was told I needed to speak to the chef regarding my dietary needs. When I did find out, the message was not passed to the chef! Also, doctors were phoned and they rang back but the message was not passed on that my blood pressure and pulse should be taken each day. I eventually rang the doctor as I was fed up and worried that they should have called 3 days ago and I was not pleased that the nurse on my last night got my medication wrong.

How likely would you be to recommend Signature South Lodge? Likely

Sarah Croxtall, Client Liaison Manager at Signature South Lodge responded to this review on 31 Oct 2017:

Thanks for your feedback, just in response to your comments, all new residents are assessed for their care needs and lifestyle choices before joining our community, this will include any dietary requirements so our chef should be aware of your preferences before your arrival. With regards to the phone call, sometimes care needs can change during a stay at South Lodge and it may be necessary for us to contact our Surgery. We did contact our GP and following his advice we monitored your blood pressure and pulse on a regular basis until your departure. We would be more than happy to discuss any part of your stay and if you would like to pop in to have a coffee and go through any of the above points please let me know. As I say we hopefully look forward to seeing you again soon!

This is one of the best facilities I have encountered in 35+ years in healthcare.
It has the look and feel of a 5-star hotel, visiting a pleasure for all the family.

Apartments vary and stay priced according to size and care needs, staffing levels are high and from waiting and maintenance to the care team, all are proud to work there and shower residents with love.

It is a large home but the care teams are floor based and strong relationships soon develop.
My mother had long resisted help; we were at crisis point, we persuaded her to go in for two weeks and on the third day she asked to stay.

Her pain was managed, ulcers improved immediately, things that had caused anxiety also removed e.g. falling, getting to the loo, eating well and isolation.

The activities were excellent - music, bridge, quizzes, trips out as well as 1-2-1, there were also events e.g. brass band, visiting horse.

Her passing was perfect, peaceful, GP and care staff sensitive; all family wishes met. If you can afford South Lodge, go.

How likely would you be to recommend Signature South Lodge? Extremely Likely

Sarah Croxtall, Client Liaison Manager at Signature South Lodge responded to this review on 06 Oct 2017:

Thank you Holly for such lovely words. I am so glad that your mum was able to enjoy some of her time at South Lodge and it was so nice to read the article about her in the local newspaper and get to know about her earlier life - what an amazing lady!

My second respite stay at South Lodge. Again a very enjoyable and restful break.
Having no close family and with a long term but established heard condition, I found the home a welcoming and friendly place where nothing was too much trouble for the staff. A reassuring and comfortable setup!

How likely would you be to recommend Signature South Lodge? Likely

Sarah Croxtall, Client Liaison Manager at Signature South Lodge responded to this review on 20 Sep 2017:

Thank you Brian, we will hopefully see you over the Christmas period and it is always our pleasure to have you stay.

I have been made to feel - at Signature South Lodge - as if it is now my home. I have an apartment overlooking the garden and feel very content having a coffee outside on my patio, reading the daily paper and seeing people stroll by.

The staff are, without exception, pleasant and helpful. There is a choice of menu at meal times - also an advantage is that you can always have a bath instead of a shower.

How likely would you be to recommend Signature South Lodge? Extremely Likely

Sarah Croxtall, Client Liaison Manager at Signature South Lodge responded to this review on 12 Sep 2017:

So glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at South Lodge - we miss you in the patch working class!

I was a resident at South Lodge for the last two weeks of June as my husband, my prime carer, had to leave the country on business. During my stay I was extremely well cared for in very comfortable accommodation. The staff were professional, attentive and caring. Menus were varied and offered adequate choice. South Lodge proposed numerous activities which helped to make my stay interesting and enjoyable.

How likely would you be to recommend Signature South Lodge? Extremely Likely

So glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay Monique - we miss you in our patch working class!

Good experience friendly staff. I have been well looked after.

How likely would you be to recommend Signature South Lodge? Extremely Likely

I visited South Lodge whilst my friend was staying after her operation and was completely blown away by the elegance that greeted me in reception. The staff are all extremely friendly, the food was always tasty with plenty of options available and every time I visited, the home was always immaculate. My friend stayed for longer than planned because she did not want to go home. All of the carers made her feel as though she was part of one big happy family. I will definitely go there if I need a holiday.

How likely would you be to recommend Signature South Lodge? Extremely Likely

Sarah, Client Liaison Manager at Signature South Lodge responded to this review on 04 Aug 2017:

Thank you, we do feel as though we are one big family at South Lodge so it is lovely to hear that other people feel that way too!

I can't fault Signature South Lodge and I have used this care home twice for respite and know the staff very well. The food is good and plentiful and I can't fault the care. I will be returning in the Autumn.

How likely would you be to recommend Signature South Lodge? Extremely Likely

Rachael Startin, Client Liaison Manager at Signature South Lodge responded to this review on 27 Mar 2017:

Thank you for your lovely comments. It was our pleasure to have you stay at South Lodge and we look forward to welcoming you back again in the Autumn.

I enjoyed a wellbeing/respite break at South Lodge at Christmas 2016. Although normally I live independently in my own home, I do not have any immediate family. As a long-term heart patient with mobility issues, I sought somewhere to stay over the festive period where comfort and the reassurance of "back -up" would be available.

My experience at South Lodge was excellent and just what I needed - notably the attentiveness of the staff and the excellent meals.

How likely would you be to recommend Signature South Lodge? Likely

Sarah Croxtall, Client Liaison Manager at Signature South Lodge responded to this review on 22 Mar 2017:

Thank you, Brian, it is so nice to hear that you enjoyed your time at South Lodge. It was a pleasure to have you here and we look forward to seeing you at some of our upcoming events.

I was very well looked after. No complaints.
I enjoyed my stay and would recommend it to anyone.

How likely would you be to recommend Signature South Lodge? Extremely Likely

Rachael Startin, Client Liaison Manager at Signature South Lodge responded to this review on 13 Mar 2017:

We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay at South Lodge and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Very Good

How likely would you be to recommend Signature South Lodge? Extremely Likely

Outstanding facilities. Flexible charging: pay for the amount of care and size of room/flat required. Comprehensive activities programme, user involvement, stunning restaurant and garden. Clean, quiet, well maintained, friendly residents and staff. Seemingly let down, when my mother lived there, by a dysfunctional management of care team on the floor where she lived, leading to significant problems with communication, food, disability adaptation, staff morale and acceptance of criticism. We were seeking a new care home when she died after the third fall there. Relevant management team since changed and am now assured that senior managers recognised and dealt with most problems we saw.
Some problems less in their control, eg building layout, pressure on local NHS, corporate brand at times seemingly more concerned with presentation than fitness for purpose. My ratings relate to Mum's time there.

Meet the general manager and ask how they would respond to any concerns or feedback before it becomes a complaint.

How likely would you be to recommend Signature South Lodge? Neither Unlikely or Likely

Food & Drink: Poor

Management: Poor

Safety / Security: Poor

Value for Money: Poor

Michelle Whitmill, General Manager at Signature South Lodge responded to this review on 01 Mar 2017:

Met recently with this relative before the date of the review, some 9 months after his mum had left our home. He was given the opportunity to discuss his concerns and his thoughts of how to report them.
South Lodge are very proud of our nursing team who have a wealth of experience within general and mental health nursing. They work closely with our large dedicated care team and are all supported by the management team 24 hours per day.
We have a manager available on site every day (including weekends) for a face to face meeting. Our care team provide the necessary care to a diverse selection of residents with varying physical, mental and emotional needs in an environment which is unique within Leicester. The South Lodge team strive to provide exceptional care and are happy to receive feedback so that we may continue to provide an excellent service for our residents and their families.

On my many visits, I have always found all staff and management to be courteous, helpful and supporting of both residents and visitors. They encourage the residents to take part in various activities and outings which they arrange.
There is always staff on hand to deal with any emergencies or just the normal mishaps that can occur and they keep the same staff on each floor so the residents get used to them.
Security is good and all visitors are checked and sign in and out, together with cameras in the corridors. The gardens are well laid out to encourage walking and sitting areas as well as gardening activities. The meals are well balanced and cater for individual needs. The state of cleanliness is very good and staff are continuously maintaining a high standard in common areas and all rooms are cleaned daily.

Lovely.

How likely would you be to recommend Signature South Lodge? Extremely Likely

As a retired full-time hospital and nursing home Chaplain and visitor of many years, I would like to compliment staff and management of South Lodge for their excellent care of their resident's body, mind and spirit. Of body: individual nursing and personal care and monitoring; of mind: regular visiting of residents and spoken to them in their degree of illness and encouraging residents to join in with the many activities held daily and meet other residents; of spirit: respect of the various faith traditions and offering religious services to the individuals to attend. The Lodge offers an atmosphere of well-being, care and health.

How likely would you be to recommend Signature South Lodge? Extremely Likely

Very pleased with the service. Staff are friendly.

How likely would you be to recommend Signature South Lodge? Extremely Likely

I've been pampered, spoilt and I have enjoyed every minute. The food by the chef and the kitchen staff has been excellent. I can recommend this place easily. All the staff everywhere kitchen, nurses, cleaners were excellent. I could not nominate just one person it wouldn't be fair. The management and staff have been marvellous.

How likely would you be to recommend Signature South Lodge? Extremely Likely

Rachael Startin, CLM at Signature South Lodge responded to this review on 15 Dec 2015:

It was our pleasure to have you join the South Lodge family and a return stay could not happen soon enough.

Submit a Review for Signature South Lodge

Date: Thursday 31 Jan 2013

Michelle

Michelle Whitmill

Joined: 2015

Michelle is an experienced Care Home manager with over 15 years’ experience within care home settings. She has work for both Charity and Private based providers and has been a CQC registered manager for the past 10 years. Her role has been to ensure regulatory compliance and the driving force to ensure excellent standards in care. Although her training is as a general nurse she has considerable background in training and development of staff and with dementia care having studied with Bradford university dementia care programme.

Janet Dennis

Job Title: Care Services Manager

Joined: 2015

Description to follow

Rachael

Rachael Whittle

Job Title: Client Liaison Manager

Joined: 2011

I will help guide and support you through what can be an emotional and difficult journey to ensure the transition is smooth with support on hand to help you understand the options available to you. I also maintain regular contact with other Healthcare professionals and I am involved in supporting the local community as well as developing relationships within the Leicester area to support local businesses, colleagues and individuals.

Katy West

Job Title: Activites Manager

Joined: 2012

As the Activities Manager it is my mission to ensure that our residents at South Lodge have the opportunity to engage, explore, express, laugh, learn, taste, touch, smell, play, sing, dance, reminisce, reflect, socialise, communicate and to make sure that they have the freedom to be themselves and support them to participate in both everyday activities and extraordinary activities”

Phil Marshall

Job Title: Maintenance Manager

Joined: 2010

I started with Signature in 2010.I am the maintenance manager for the entire South Lodge community overlooking & maintaining high standards for quality 99 apartments, and over seeing our array of safety systems within the community.

Teresa Sample

Job Title: House Keeping Manager

Joined: 2011

House keeping manager for South Lodge.
Recently completed 5 years service with Signature South Lodge.

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Signature South Lodge