Fernhill, Ferndown, Dorset

Fernhill is situated at Longham in the picturesque Dorset countryside, specifically designed and dedicated to the needs of people living with dementia.

Built over three floors, Fernhill has all en-suite bedrooms with shower facilities and flat screen televisions with freeview. Each house within the Fernhill community group has its own dedicated team of care staff, while on the second floor there is a guest suite for relatives who may wish to stay overnight.

The home is designed for easy orientation and independent living. There are spacious communal lounges and dining rooms all of which have a lifestyle kitchen and two private sensory gardens for the residents to enjoy, both of which are wheelchair accessible.

Following a refurbishment project in 2012, Fernhill has themed rooms, including a Cinema, Post Office, Café and in the garden residents will find a 1958 Hillman Minx.

Group: Colten Care Ltd

Person in charge: Gina Smith (Home Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Dorset County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 58 Service Users

Registered Care Categories*: Dementia • Old Age • Younger Adults

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Day Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Smoking not permitted • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Bar/Cafe on premises • Residents Kitchenette • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

Fernhill is easily accessible by car. The postcode is BH22 9AW, many GPS systems find it hard to recognise this location. They do however, tend to recognise the Garden Centre across the road ‘Haskins’, for which the postcode is BH22 9DJ. Wilts & Dorset Buses service Ferndown and the surrounding areas. Services are frequent and there is a bus stop situated by the White Hart Inn. The nearest train station is Bournemouth and there are regular bus services from the station.

At Fernhill, there are no specific visiting hours, please sign into the visitors book to confirm you are in the building , if outside of Reception hours, just ring the bell and a member of staff will enable your visit.

Parking is available on site at Fernhill, all visitor parking is clearly marked.

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Fernhill: click here

posted 4 hours ago

Dedicated Dementia Care Home

9.7 Fernhill has a Review Score of 9.7 (9.693)

The Review Score of 9.7 (maximum of 10) for Fernhill is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.7 out of 5 from 32 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Fernhill in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 4.9 out of 5 from 11 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.745 for Fernhill is calculated as follows: ( (291 Excellents x 5) + (81 Goods x 4) + (8 Satisfactorys x 3) ) ÷ 380 Ratings = 4.745

The 4.948 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Fernhill is based on 11 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 11.6 positive Reviews (58 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 11 Reviews ÷ 11.6 Target = 0.948

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Fernhill?

Reviewer Connection to Fernhill

Fernhill at Ferndown Dorset is part of Colten Care, my uncle has been a resident from April 2017. I was at first, nervous of my uncle going into a dementia care home but Fernhill has been excellent in their care for him and also supportive and reassuring to other family members. They have an open door policy for visitors so are not able to hide anything.

They are real and genuinely support my uncle, all the staff from the cleaners, chefs, carers. The management is very approachable with questions and any concerns and answers are received quickly and efficiently. With my uncle's condition, it is clear to me that he is well cared for and in an excellent caring environment. Fernhill is and has been, outstanding.

How likely would you be to recommend Fernhill? Extremely Likely

My mother in law has been at Fernhill now for 4 months and we continue to be delighted with all aspects of her care.
The staff are extremely caring and friendly, from housekeeping to management. She now needs puréed food which is a real meal presented so nicely on a plate, very tasty and which she really enjoys. We are so pleased that we chose Fernhill and have recommended it to a friend to consider for a relative.

How likely would you be to recommend Fernhill? Extremely Likely

My wife suffers from Alzheimer's and has recently been attending Fernhill one day a week, partly to receive stimulation and a change of environment but also a short respite for myself.
We are met by friendly, welcoming staff in a warm and secure facility.
Although my wife has so far only attended on three occasions, she seems very happy and enjoys her visits. I was initially loath to leave her but am now happy to know she is in safe hands.

How likely would you be to recommend Fernhill? Extremely Likely

A lovely home providing a high level of care delivered by fantastic staff at all levels.

How likely would you be to recommend Fernhill? Extremely Likely

I have written this review several times, trying to include all that is so good about Fernhill Care Home. I cannot praise the staff highly enough for all the kindness, care, comfort and dignity they give to the residents. Fernhill is becoming my second home. My husband is safe and happy in their care. One little thing I would like to mention is the garden, lush and green as it is, I think it is sadly in need of much more colour and interest.

How likely would you be to recommend Fernhill? Extremely Likely

Elaine Farrer, Operations Director at Fernhill responded to this review on 26 Jul 2017:

Thank you so much for your positive feedback. The gardening department is constantly reviewing the gardens at all our homes. At Fernhill, I am delighted to let you know that within the next couple of months we intend to make various improvements to the garden, including upgrading the potting shed area, introducing further interesting features and improving access to the shed – with more paving access, and also creating areas for some vegetable/fruit growing. We intend to construct some further raised beds, and a pergola for shade near the new water feature.

Excellent home. I found everyone very professional. Nothing is too much trouble. All the staff are very happy and friendly. I feel very happy indeed that my uncle is in this home.

My thanks to everyone who works here. Wonderful people.

How likely would you be to recommend Fernhill? Extremely Likely

Excellent service under difficult circumstances. My friend being some 20 years younger than 98% residents chooses to eat more 'modern food' and generally refuses inclusion. Very few minor irritations, disappointed with care taken of laundry.

How likely would you be to recommend Fernhill? Extremely Likely

Elaine Farrer, Operations Director at Fernhill responded to this review on 12 Jun 2017:

Thank you for your comments about the care at Fernhill and extreme likelihood of recommending the home to others. Please note that our laundry staff make cleanliness their top priority and they ensure residents’ clothing is kept fresh and changed regularly. In line with residents’ requests, personal clothing is carefully cleaned, ironed and returned. I would urge you to speak to the Home Manager if there are any specific issues you wish to raise. Thank you, again, for your review.

I don't believe my friend could be anywhere better.

How likely would you be to recommend Fernhill? Extremely Likely

The staff are excellent, always happy to help all residents and family members. It's always a joy to visit mum as I know how happy she is here. Nothing is too much trouble and the family feel is fantastic. I always know mum is safe and well looked after. No complaints from me or mum. Carry on with the excellent service you are providing.

How likely would you be to recommend Fernhill? Extremely Likely

My father had always said that he didn't want to go into a care home, so when his Alzheimers progressed to a point that he needed 24-hour care my sister and I tried everything we could to keep him at home. However, after several nasty falls, we decided that we could no longer keep him safe at home and reluctantly looked for a care home for him. In total, we looked at 24 homes and decided that Fernhill was by far the best, and we have not been disappointed. All of the staff are friendly and helpful, they will take the time to discuss any concerns and they always treat the residents with dignity and respect. When my father was at home he spent a large amount of his time sleeping in the chair however since he's been at Fernhill he's been on trips, attended tea parties, been entertained by singers and musicians and even stroked an Alpaca! My sister and I know that he is safe and well cared for and we are confident that we made the right choice.

How likely would you be to recommend Fernhill? Extremely Likely

We were very reluctant to put my mum into a care home as we had heard terrible stories in the press about the standard of care homes in general. As my mum's condition worsened we had no choice and I'm pleased to say that we were lucky enough to find Fernhill.

The home is lovely and the staff are friendly and caring. Every visit provides us with the comfort of knowing that she is safe and well looked after. My mum's appearance is always immaculate, something she always cared about before her illness.

The staff are kind and seem to genuinely understand the sadness of families with a loved one with dementia.

We are very happy with the lovely facilities and would highly recommend Fernhill to other families facing this awful dilemma.

How likely would you be to recommend Fernhill? Extremely Likely

My wife has dementia and has been in care for some seven months. She needs to be pushed in a wheelchair. I have found the staff to be most helpful with such as personal care, hoisting, feeding and dealing with medication in the difficult circumstances. The activities staff also do this but to engage her in the various past times. I and my family looked at quite a number of care homes and decided that Fernhill had the best facilities. (I worked on the basis that it is where I personally would wish to be cared for in the same circumstances). The outcome has indeed come up to our expectations.

How likely would you be to recommend Fernhill? Extremely Likely

When I arrived, I found the care staff very caring and sympathetic. As time went by during my stay, I found the staff were wonderful and well maintained. In general, I have enjoyed the variety of activities except my bus trip as I was a little poorly with travel sickness. The Activity Organiser looked after me really well with love and dignity. In general, the home is lovely and I like my bedroom. With regards to the food when I first arrived it was lovely, however, it deteriorated during my stay.

How likely would you be to recommend Fernhill? Extremely Likely

My wife has been a resident with Vascular Dementia for the past nine months at Fernhill. The nursing care given by the nurses and care workers is first class and it is obvious that the regular training of staff at all levels is of a high standard. The activities are well planned with several main events held each month. Cleanliness of the entire building is very good with a reliable cleaning team. The food is well cooked with interesting menus. I would have no hesitation in recommending Fernhill to my friends.

How likely would you be to recommend Fernhill? Extremely Likely

Ever since my family came into contact with Fernhill we feel more as though we have extended our family than that we have brought Mum into a 'home'. The standard of care is evident from the first contact with staff and I can honestly say that we feel Mum is in the hands of medical care, as in, say, a hospital, rather than simply a care home. Reaction time between request and action is very short ... one is not side-lined in any way. As a family, we thought we could keep Mum at home all the way but realised the odds were against us after quite a struggle - finding Colten care brought about a complete change in our outlook. At every visit I find Mum at ease, happy, eating well and responsive to members of staff. She calls her room home and enjoys the fact that she can have peace when she wants it, company when she wants it.
We are all so relieved, knowing every aspect of Mum's health, character and personality are taken into account and treated with consummate tenderness. Top marks.

How likely would you be to recommend Fernhill? Extremely Likely

My mum was taken poorly in the early evening and all the staff were absolutely amazing and caring - the nurses were very supportive and the carers were brilliant.
The standard of care in general and the atmosphere within the home provides a safe and secure environment, this combined with the high standard of care cannot be faulted so I thoroughly recommend it as an excellent choice for a loved one.

How likely would you be to recommend Fernhill? Extremely Likely

From the moment you walk into Fernhill you can feel how friendly it is, the staff know and greet everyone by name. Mum loves being here and enjoys all the activities provided. There are lots of outside visits and excursions on the mini bus for all the residents to enjoy on a weekly basis. I as a carer have support and advice consistently.

How likely would you be to recommend Fernhill? Extremely Likely

After making a quick decision to bring mum to Fernhill the staff were very helpful, both helping her settle in and supporting us at a difficult time. Mum enjoys the activities provided at Fernhill and loves the cake that is always available. The activities managers have amazing enthusiasm and provide innovative sessions on a daily basis.

How likely would you be to recommend Fernhill? Extremely Likely

Fernhill has proved to be the right place for my friend to live. My friend is ninety three and has dementia and is extremely unsteady on her feet. I cannot thank the staff enough for helping her to settle and in their safeguarding of her. She loves all the activities and is always immaculate in her appearance and content with her life. The home is spotless, the food excellent and staff great everyone with a smile, nothing is to much trouble for them.

How likely would you be to recommend Fernhill? Extremely Likely

Feel that this is the best place Mum could be in. Confident that she is well cared for.

How likely would you be to recommend Fernhill? Extremely Likely

Mum is looked after in the best possible way.

How likely would you be to recommend Fernhill? Likely

I feel the home provides my mum with the love, dignity and care I as a daughter could wish for her. The staff are always very polite and friendly when I visit, which is at least 4 times a week. I feel lucky to have my mum in such a lovely home. She loves all the music afternoons and responds very well. I often join in and it's a lovely afternoon for us both.

How likely would you be to recommend Fernhill? Extremely Likely

My wife has been a resident for nearly 3 years now and I am happy with the care she receives. The staff are so friendly and helpful. The facilities are fabulous and the level of care is excellent. Whenever I visit, I am made to feel very welcome and everyone waves and chats as I walk through the home.

How likely would you be to recommend Fernhill? Extremely Likely

I stayed 2 days and nights at the home and was able to observe daily activity. The home was run by caring, pleasant and helpful staff who worked very hard to meet the needs of demanding clientelle. Food was served in excellent portions but was not always warm when it reached the residents. Residents were observed to be enjoying a party but showed little interest in a craft session. Overall standards were high, well above average and residents are treated with kindness and dignity.

How likely would you be to recommend Fernhill? Extremely Likely

Very caring. Always treated with dignity. Lots of activities organised which my mother is very keen on and always attends. Generally good food and drink. Mother eats well and is now on a reducing diet which has helped keep her weight on an even keel. Good communication from staff - whenever necessary.

How likely would you be to recommend Fernhill? Extremely Likely

We were very impressed by all the staff from top management down. It is always a pleasure to deal with friendly people. Brother seems to have settled very well. The home always contacts me if there are any problems.

How likely would you be to recommend Fernhill? Extremely Likely

My partner has Parkinson's and Parkinson's dementia, his care needs are becoming more complex and i need the respite as much as he does. Fernhill was wonderful staff very attentive, he was fully involved in the activities and enjoyed his stay referring to it as a wonderful 5 star hotel which seemed very over staffed! Thank you to the caring and very supportive team who reassured me that Fernhill is a safe, stimulation home for my husband.

How likely would you be to recommend Fernhill? Extremely Likely

Fernhill is a lovely purpose built dementia care home, in a beautiful part of Dorset, close to Poole and Bournemouth. My dear wife has been here five years now, she has dementia and is physically disabled. I visit each day therefore knowing all of the staff very well. I find them friendly, helpful and extremely caring. Catering is very good and varied, and like all residents on Birthdays, my wife had a most lovely cake and party on her 90th Birthday. There are wheelchair friendly gardens, mini bus trips and also varied entertainments. "Fernhill is fine".

How likely would you be to recommend Fernhill? Extremely Likely

Mum is always very happy when I arrive to see her and there always seems to be plenty of interaction and attention given to her by all the staff. There are daily activities organised and weekly trips out to remind them of the wonderful areas around where they live. I know mum feels safe and secure at Fernhill and often says when we have been out for the day "oh its nice to be home again" - this to me says it all. Even though it has been her home for nearly three years she thinks she has lived there for the last 20 or so. She is clean, healthy, happy and contented in her own world. From a daughters point of view and one that was very much involved in my mums care needs prior to her arriving at Fernhill, I can now once again focus my life and thoughts around my own family and enjoy visiting and spending precious quality time with mum with the knowledge that she is definitely in the best place with people who care and look after all her well being to an excellent standard. The home has recently made many improvements, they have regular relative meetings, where relatives, management and staff can openly talk about issues, changes or new ideas relating to Fernhill. There are always opportunities to talk to anyone at anytime should you need to.

How likely would you be to recommend Fernhill? Extremely Likely

Dad has been at Fernhill for 5 years now and I have always known he was safe, warm and well fed. There have been staff changes which caused some disruption but I have yet to hear of a care home where this is not the case. Overall I am very happy with the staff and the company as a whole never stop trying to make things as good as they can. I would definitely recommend the home and am very grateful to them all.

How likely would you be to recommend Fernhill? Extremely Likely

I'm very satisfied with Fernhill.

As an only child and living abroad, my chances of visiting are limited and its really important to my piece of mind that I know my father is happy, safe and cared for. When I do visit, the guest suite is perfect and I always enjoy the interaction with the staff who are, in my opinion, what makes Fernhill special.

I'm sure it is a fulfilling job to be a carer but it must be extremely challenging as well, especially in a dementia home. In my experience the Fernhill crowd are professional, cheerful and hard working and I always look forward to seeing them.

How likely would you be to recommend Fernhill? Extremely Likely

My friend had a severe hemorrhagic frontal lobe bleed. Her personality changed and she was restless, anxious and unhappy, wherever she resided, even in her own home. Physically she was very fit, liked walking and did not like being alone. At times she cried and was aggressive and hysterical. It was with some apprehension that we chose Fernhill for her care.
However, the first visit was reassuring as she immediately decided she liked Fernhill. The home is full of light, spacious, and beautifully and thoughtfully designed. Many rooms overlook the gardens which are themselves full of interest with lavender, for lavender bags, fruit trees and raised areas which residents can use. I liked the layout where facilities were arranged according to need. There is no overcrowding and a very civilised atmosphere at all times.The coffee shop was our favourite meeting place with good coffee and home made cakes.
Because she was very mobile and verbose, although often incoherent, she needed special care. She was taken regularly to see the horses in the field and allowed to sit in the reception area where she felt useful opening the doors. She was cared for as an individual and I, and other friends, felt very happy with Fernhill.

Submit a Review for Fernhill