Nelson Manor Care Centre

247 Barkerhouse Road, Nelson BB9 9NL

Owner: Nelson Manor Care Centre

Person in charge: Joanne Murray (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Lancashire County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 70 Service Users

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Nelson Manor Care Centre: click here

posted 08 Sep 2017

Residential Unit - 4 vacancies Nursing Unit 3 vacancies Jubilee Unit 3 vacancies

8.6 Nelson Manor Care Centre has a Review Score of 8.6 (8.617)

The Review Score of 8.6 (maximum of 10) for Nelson Manor Care Centre is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.1 out of 5 from 8 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Nelson Manor Care Centre in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 4.5 out of 5 from 7 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.117 for Nelson Manor Care Centre is calculated as follows: ( (42 Excellents x 5) + (34 Goods x 4) + (10 Satisfactorys x 3) + (3 Poors x 2) + (5 Very Poors x 1) ) ÷ 94 Ratings = 4.117

The 4.5 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Nelson Manor Care Centre is based on 7 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 14 positive Reviews (70 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 7 Reviews ÷ 14 Target = 0.500

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Nelson Manor Care Centre?

Reviewer Connection to Nelson Manor Care Centre

My parents were both looked after with great care and understanding, and whenever possible they were with each other. Staff were very kind to my mother when she was on end-of-life in the last four weeks of her life which I will never forget. Everything was very professional and staff were very kind to both my parents and to us. They were both characters and had had nearly sixty-five years of marriage together.

How likely would you be to recommend Nelson Manor Care Centre? Extremely Likely

Joanne Murray is working extremely hard to provide good care for our dear loved ones. She has provided for my Mother a loving and caring environment when we most need it. I visit my Mother and most of the carers always greet me with kind words and reassure me that they understand my Mothers needs and these needs do vary from day to day. We are asked how the family are and my Mothers Spiritual needs are supported. The parish priest visits and also a Eucharist minister. There is open visiting, which fits in with families who have busy working lives.

How likely would you be to recommend Nelson Manor Care Centre? Likely

My mum has only been at the home for 7 weeks but the staff are lovely and friendly and nothing is too much if I ask about my mum. Her Room is nice but the standard of cleaning could be better.The staff are trying everything to make my mum join in and be comfortable and I'm happy she's here.

How likely would you be to recommend Nelson Manor Care Centre? Extremely Likely

The care that Nelson Manor provides for my mum is exceptional. I've never come across such caring staff, they are angels and very professional. The girls go above and beyond the call of duty which gives me so much comfort to know that they are caring for my mum as I would. Thank you.

How likely would you be to recommend Nelson Manor Care Centre? Extremely Likely

My Mother of 89 years of age, was admitted to Nelson Manor in October 2016, following a fall downstairs, and three weeks in hospital. At my Mother's request, myself, my wife, and my sister, enquired over availability and costing, as she was no longer able to care for herself in her own home, this latest admittance into hospital was her third in the past 12 months, since my mother arrived on the residential floor at Nelson Manor, she has been treated with the best possible care and attention anyone could wish for, nothing is too much trouble for any of the staff who attend to her needs, from Management Staff, Nursing Staff, Auxiliary Staff, Cleaners and Maintenance, all are absolutely wonderful people, friendly, caring, honest and genuine in all they do, I cannot praise them enough, my mother is cared for, and looked after, by the most kindest and understanding people you would wish to meet. I would without any doubt recommend this care home to anyone, Thank you for taking care of my Mother x

How likely would you be to recommend Nelson Manor Care Centre? Extremely Likely

My mother has Dementia and has been a resident of Nelson Manor since April 2015. In just under two years the home has undergone numerous management regimes and high staff turnover.

As a result of this transience, I have noticed an inconsistency in the quality of care and standards. However, I do sense that things are improving. I've heard staff genuinely express this. It is difficult to be 100% certain when leaving this kind of feedback, simply because I visit twice a week and can only get a 'snapshot' of the way things appear. But I feel confident that overall things are certainly improving.

How likely would you be to recommend Nelson Manor Care Centre? Likely

Very well led and most improved under new management, my father is well looked after and is comfortable and content and his needs are very well catered for, nothing is too much trouble,you can visit day or night and are made very welcome, food is lovely and plentiful and a wide variety of choice and requests are always catered for, the staff work very hard and care about their residents going above and beyond what is expected, and activities are plentiful should he want to participate, my father and myself are very happy with his care at Nelson Manor and I have visited many other homes but none match up to the standards of this home, highly recommended keep up the excellent work Nelson Manor and thank you.

How likely would you be to recommend Nelson Manor Care Centre? Extremely Likely

Think very carefully before putting a relative in this care home. We had a dreadful experience. Allegedly there are plans in place to improve but I would advise extreme caution. If you are considering it, read the CQC inspection reports first, ask a lot of questions and monitor the care very closely, especially medication management. Our experience reflected similar issues to the CQC report and worse. Yes, the place is new and looks nice but we experienced very poor management and care.

How likely would you be to recommend Nelson Manor Care Centre? Extremely Unlikely

Overall Standard: Very Poor

Management: Very Poor

Safety / Security: Poor

Value for Money: Very Poor

Submit a Review for Nelson Manor Care Centre

There are currently no awards/recognitions posted yet for Nelson Manor Care Centre

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Nelson Manor Care Centre