Bromford Lane Care Centre

28 Fairholme Road, Washwood Heath, Birmingham B36 8HP

Bromford Lane Care Centre makes an excellent contribution to care provision in the Washwood Heath area of Birmingham, with a 116-person capacity and a service suitable for a wide range of care needs.

Though a large care facility, a professional care team follow the company policy of personalised care service, ensuring that all residents feel they are treated as an individual and have their own care packages regularly updated.

This modern and state-of-the-art care facility welcomes long-term residential needs and temporary nursing requirements, while also providing solutions to people with dementia care and palliative care needs.

Group: The Bondcare Group

Person in charge: Judith Williams (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Birmingham City Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 116 Service Users

Registered Care Categories*: Dementia • Learning Disability • Mental Health Condition • Old Age • Physical Disability • Younger Adults

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Day Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Physiotherapy • Separate Dementia Care Unit • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Residents Kitchenette • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Bromford Lane Care Centre: click here

The Review Score of 9.1 (maximum of 10) for Bromford Lane Care Centre is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.6 out of 5 from 31 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Bromford Lane Care Centre in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 4.5 out of 5 from 11 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.594 for Bromford Lane Care Centre is calculated as follows: ( (259 Excellents x 5) + (85 Goods x 4) + (13 Satisfactorys x 3) + (2 Poors x 2) + (8 Very Poors x 1) ) ÷ 367 Ratings = 4.594

The 4.474 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Bromford Lane Care Centre is based on 11 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 23.2 positive Reviews (116 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 11 Reviews ÷ 23.2 Target = 0.474

9.1 Bromford Lane Care Centre has a Review Score of 9.1 (9.068) from 31 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Bromford Lane Care Centre?

Reviewer Connection to Bromford Lane Care Centre

I find the staff excellent, very friendly and courteous. The residents I think spend too long in front of TV. When fully staffed things work well but when there is a shortage, it doesn't and the staff have to work hard to fill in when and where needed, but overall it is a well-run home, which my bother is happy with and as long as he is happy so am I.

How likely would you be to recommend Bromford Lane Care Centre? Likely

My father is a fairly new resident, admitted as "high risk" as he now can't do anything for himself and needs around the clock care. I travelled up from London with feelings of sadness and trepidation following his admission to Bromford Lane but was overwhelmed by the care and support that he has been receiving. I met nurses and carers and saw first hand the care that he has been receiving. Lunch was served and looked excellent (good old Sunday roast) not that my dad could eat much and when we asked for ice cream and soup it arrived promptly and without fuss. In addition, I found the d├ęcor of the halls, TV room etc to create a real "home from home" environment. The rooms were spotless and yes clothes do go missing but usually get retuned as long as you label everything. These are my first impressions but I returned to London feeling as content as I could that my dad is in the best place that he could be and I will be a regular visitor.

How likely would you be to recommend Bromford Lane Care Centre? Extremely Likely

Very professional and caring staff who seem totally committed to their patients. My friend is extremely well cared for, showered daily, good food provided, lovely comfortable and warm room and family are being kept well informed of my friend's condition and ongoing treatment. As an independent living retirement home manager myself, I can recommend what I've seen at Bromford care home as outstanding.

My Mother has been a resident at Bromford Lane Care Centre for approximately 6 years, she suffers from acute Alzheimers and her condition has obviously deteriorated over time. The management and staff are dedicated and caring who have assisted both my Mother and our family over the years, providing clinical and mental support, the simple fact that we have been happy for my Mother to be cared for in Bromford Lane for 6 years should speak volumes for the home itself and the services it provides under very difficult and challenging circumstances, we would not leave her anywhere for 6 days never mind 6 years if we had the slightest doubt over the home or its environment. We should point out that there have been challenges along the way, but with clear and concise dialogue between the home staff and relatives every problem has a solution, and so far every solution has provided a successful outcome. We strongly urge anyone looking for a care home to visit and see for themselves.

My sister was admitted to Bromford Lane Care Centre just over two and a half years ago because she was terminally ill. The manager has always been available to talk to and provided a very caring approach to my sister's needs. Sadly on the 8th November 2017, my sister past away. Bromford Lane Care Centre's nursing unit were absolutely fantastic in caring/providing her palliative needs. The staff were extremely kind and compassionate which enabled my sister to die peacefully and with dignity. Their support also extended to the family - nothing was too much trouble. We could not have chosen a better place for my sister's care.

Since moving here, my husband has gained a new lease of life. He is happy so we are happy. He loves the staff, the food, everything.
The family are extremely happy with the spaciousness of the home, the level of care given and the amount of varied meals that are given, from breakfast through to tea time.
The only thing I would say that needs improvement is having the phone answered more quickly.
The staff keep you informed of everything you need to know and are always ready for a laugh. I feel like moving in here myself.

My wife has been a resident since 23.03.2017 and I have found the management and staff are very approachable and always willing to help me.
I know they treat residents with dignity and go the extra mile to ensure their safety and comfort.
The cleaning staff do an excellent job keeping the unit to a high standard in all areas.
The food is varied and always prepared.
Hot and cold drinks are readily available to the residents.
In my opinion, Bromford Lane Care Centre is well run and meets the standard I would expect.
I would recommend Bromford Lane Care Centre to anyone looking for a care home.

They need to go back to basics to learn how the residents should be cared for and there is very poor manual handling by the majority of staff.
Staff could do with educating themselves on how to deal with dementia patients and not use phrases like 'he is a nasty man' as I found this both unprofessional and upsetting for the family.
The amount of clothes that managed to get lost here was unbelievable also hearing aids and glasses seem to go missing on a regular basis and also personal shower gels are used for other residents.
They seem to lack giving care and compassion at this difficult time (4 weeks assessment). My grandfather lost so much weight whilst being a resident at this "care" home, not to mention how dehydrated he was I've never seen him so happy for me to have a bottle of water in my hand. Ensuring a residents nutrition is met is vital.

How likely would you be to recommend Bromford Lane Care Centre? Extremely Unlikely

This care home is excellent. The staff are so helpful, friendly and very supportive.
There are a lot of activities for the residents to enjoy and take part in.

The food is outstanding and presented well.
The home is very clean and tidy. They even have a resident cat which the elderly love to bits! A very good idea!!!

I would just like to thank all the staff at the Bromford Lane Care Centre on behalf of myself, my father and my mother who spent nearly a month in the home. My mother was so well looked after by all the staff and the medical nurses and staff. It was quite emotional when my mom left the home on her last day on the 31.07.17 to move to her permanent residence. Every time I left the home I could always relax at home knowing that my mother was in very safe and capable hands and would be well looked after. Please pass on our thanks and appreciation to all the staff who my father and myself could rely on 100%. Thank you so much. Thank you all from our family.

Staff well motivated, well disciplined with good morale. Myself and the rest of our family found/experienced the Bromford Land Care Centre to be a friendly, warm, welcoming place with every one of its staff and support workers treating each and every one of its residents, patients and visitors with unfailing compassion, kindness and patience among a lot of other good qualities.
In other words, the residents/patients are all treated with the dignity and respect that we would all want for ourselves including our nearest and dearest when old age makes us so vulnerable.

Care exceptional. Cleanliness very good. The staff outstanding, very caring and couldn't do enough.

My late Monther (died 30/1/17) received excellent care from caring, diligent and hard working staff.

I was (as my mother's main contact) always kept informed about any issues and concerns regarding my Mother's complex needs.

First rate - 10 out of 10.

Staff are excellent at their jobs, management are always on point with staff, cleanliness and any raised complaints.

As a family, we are very happy with the care of my husband. The staff are very helpful and kind. We can rest when we are not with him knowing he is safe.
We cannot thank the manager and staff enough.
Thank you.

How likely would you be to recommend Bromford Lane Care Centre? Likely

My mother was admitted to an EMA bed at Bromford Lane Care Centre in February 2017 for 4 weeks, she has been extremely well looked after and I think she is disappointed to be leaving as the staff have been kind and caring during her stay on the ward.
My mom at first was finding it hard to adjust to going into a care home but she now knows that there are care homes out there where people are kind and she won't feel alone again.

Big thank you to all the staff on the EMA ward.

The staff are very friendly and helpful. The take very good care of all the people in their care with no exceptions.
Not forgetting the cleaners and cooks for their good contribution to a happy home.

My dear husband sadly passed away. He had to go to hospital but his wishes were that he returned to Bromford Lane Care Centre and Bromford agreed to have my husband back. He spent his last week being cared for by such loving staff. He was so comfortable and his passing was so peaceful. I can and will never forget the professional support and love and kindness to my husband. It gave me peace of mind at a very difficult time.

All care staff are excellent and always greeted with a smile. The commitment the staff show is 100% and worth their weight in gold. This is not just confined to the unit my wife is on, but throughout the whole home, from the kitchen, laundry, and cleaners.

Our Dad has been here for the past 4 weeks on the EAB Asessment Unit. Both my sister and myself were very apprehensive at first but we soon realised how nice and helpful everybody was. Dad settled in less than 24 hours. The staff were so kind to Dad and also to my sister and myself. Everywhere is spotlessly clean, tidy and no horrible smells. The food is amazing and plenty of it. It is such a shame there are no permanent vacancies available as we would love dad to stay here. A huge thank you to all at the home.

I think it is a lovely home they look after my daughter very well. I can stay with her if I want to they make you very welcome.
The manager is very easy to talk to. I would give them 10/10

Mum was well cared for in this care home both for respite care and residential care. Thank you. There was a small problem of dealing with Dad who, despite being an older person, isn't incompetent. We only removed Mum from this care home so she could live closer to home.

During the course of mums care at Bromford Lane Care Centre, we found the staff and management always prepared to go that one step further to ensure her comfort and wellbeing was always a top priority. In her final days their care has been exemplary, therefore we have every confidence in recommending their care and services to anyone.

My mother was a resident at Bromford Lane Care Centre for 19 months and received both complex dementia and nursing care.
She was at all times cared for with utmost dignity, respect and care. All the care staff are wonderful to both residents and families. The nursing staff and management are well organised and professional. The food is great, laundry is done properly and the rooms are clean and modern I would not hesitate in recommending Bromford Lane Care Centre.

From the day my sister was admitted to Bromford Lane Care Centre. I was impressed by modern space and fresh clean state of the entrance, lifts, corridors and the room. There was no stale smell of urine anywhere. I realise how committed cleaners have to be to achieve that.
My sister came directly from the hospital to nursing care and I was very relieved when they could offer her a permanent place there. The staff were always obliging and gave adequate care to her. My sister always said when asked that they were always very kind to her. My sister never asked to come home so for all that I am very grateful to Bromford Lane Care Centre. Well done.

All staff are so helpful and everyone shows a high standard of care in their various roles, from good management, nursing and personal care. Those on the cleaning and housekeeping and kitchen duties are all good role models for other care establishments. My dear mother is very fragile and needs special understanding and is always supported and cared for by staff who show compassion and are very aware of the dignity and respect which such fragile people need. I also receive help and support from all staff which is so important when someone you love is in the last stages of life.

During the time my mother spent at Bromford along with my sister we visited her on a daily basis and would give our thanks to the care staff and social workers involved (I understand names shouldn't be mentioned but special thanks to my mother's carer and social worker for their thoughtfulness and kindness in dealing with our situation)
Having read the CQC reports initially we were somewhat concerned about Bromford, however you soon realise that this is a paper exercise and the reality is that the care staff are absolutely dedicated and despite how young some of them appear to be they are so dedicated to looking after their patients and have gained my upmost regard for the job they do.
Whilst there could be one or two improvements regarding smells etc this becomes a minor issue as the care given is the primary factor to be considered and this from my perspective was excellent

How likely would you be to recommend Bromford Lane Care Centre? Likely

My dear Uncle was a resident in Bromford Care Home for five weeks. During his five weeks with them the team who worked with him and cared for him were fantastic. He was an elderly gentleman who had received poor care at home from a community agency. He was in a sorry state when admitted to Bromford - dirty and unkempt. The carer's at Bromford worked patiently with him and restored him to the man I have always known - clean and smart. They gave him his dignity back and I will be forever grateful. I would not hesitate to recommend Bromford for the care of a loved one. The staff are all lovely, approachable and caring.

A lovely home with a good environment, caring staff and lots of good activities. The management team are particularly good at their jobs and help you to feel at home, they treat everybody with the utmost respect and can't do enough to support you.

Since my grandad has been in Bromford lane care home he has dramatically improved. And we can all relax knowing he is safe and well.
The manager is always there to help as so are the staff who really care about the poor people. Thank you so much

My father has been in the assessment unit for four weeks. In this time I cannot fault his care. Staff are very attentive. If you ask for anything they do their utmost to see to it straight away. They listen to relatives and implement what you ask. This centre is a clean and well run place whereby I would be happy to leave my relative it is friendly and warm and staff always greet you with a smile.

Submit a Review for Bromford Lane Care Centre

June 2016

Birmingham Care Awards

Recipient: Bromford Lane Care Centre

Date: Thursday 09 Jun 2016

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Bromford Lane Care Centre