Heather View

Beacon Road, Crowborough TN6 1AS

Heather View, another home from established care provider Care UK, offers superior quality care and luxury accommodation.

Featuring Care UK’s unique internal ‘village’, with Doyles coffee shop, Tea on the Green tearoom, a cinema, hairdressing salon and small store, Heather View offers residents an opportunity regain their active social lives and enjoy a community atmosphere.

With a wide range of activities and day trips on offer there’s something for everyone, whatever their hobbies or interest.

Group: Care UK Nursing & Residential Care Services

Person in charge: Natasha King (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: East Sussex County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 74 Service Users

Specialist Care Categories: Hearing Impairment • Visual Impairment

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Smoking not permitted • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Bar/Cafe on premises • Residents Kitchenette • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Heather View: click here

The Review Score of 9.3 (maximum of 10) for Heather View is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.5 out of 5 from 32 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Heather View in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 4.8 out of 5 from 12 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.515 for Heather View is calculated as follows: ( (236 Excellents x 5) + (105 Goods x 4) + (36 Satisfactorys x 3) + (1 Poors x 2) + (1 Very Poors x 1) ) ÷ 379 Ratings = 4.515

The 4.811 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Heather View is based on 12 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 14.8 positive Reviews (74 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 12 Reviews ÷ 14.8 Target = 0.811

9.3 Heather View has a Review Score of 9.3 (9.326) from 32 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Heather View?

Reviewer Connection to Heather View

• Grandson of Resident/Service User

Lovely place, such caring staff. Nothing was too much trouble for anyone.

How likely would you be to recommend Heather View? Extremely Likely

Generally, I was happy with my care. Just occasionally, I appeared to have been forgotten, particularly at mealtimes. I feel a little more care is needed with the laundry, despite items being clearly labelled, they were misdirected.

Amy Wilson, A D at Heather View responded to this review on 08 May 2018:

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at Heather View and we are delighted that you were happy with the care that you received.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused by misdirection of laundered items. Our laundry service is a busy one and we are constantly seeking ways to make it more efficient for our residents - we will ensure that our team double check items before delivery.

We try very hard to ensure every resident is given the time and support they require to enjoy their mealtimes as a social occasion, so we are very sorry that you felt that your dining experience wasn’t as good as it could have been sometimes. We will review our processes to ensure we make changes where required to improve this element of our service moving forward.

We hope you would choose Heather View to support you in the future.

My mother and my late step-father moved to Heather View 5 years ago. They were reluctant to leave behind their own home but immediately settled in. The environment is attractive and inviting but most importantly, the staff are extremely warm, caring, dedicated and professional. They attend to the needs, both physical and emotional, of their residents, are alert to any health issues that arise and maintain good communication with the family of the residents.

I have visited many care homes over the years and Heather View is one of the very few which truly feels like a 'home from home' for my parents. I am so grateful to the staff of Heather View.

How likely would you be to recommend Heather View? Extremely Likely

Heather View has a lovely feel to the place, you are always made to feel welcome. All the staff take great care of my mother needs and give me regular updates.

How likely would you be to recommend Heather View? Extremely Likely

The care is excellent. The staff are all extremely cheerful and capable. I have no complaints whatsoever about the care staff. Unfortunately, I think there were a few management issues just before and during handover, but I hope these are now rectified. My only criticism and the only criticism of my mother who is in care is the food. I do understand that you have to produce food that all residents can eat, so it maybe has to be soft, but
Could there be:
- options for people who don't have issues chewing and swallowing?
- opportunities for the residents to ask for specific meals?
- always be a bowl of fresh fruit (which I don't think there is, although I believe residents can ask for some fresh fruit) so that residents can help themselves?
- some healthier snacks available as well as the daily cake
- some outdoor activities in the spring and summer - may be a gardening club
- a visiting library to borrow books?

How likely would you be to recommend Heather View? Extremely Likely

Samantha Debenham, Marketing Support Administrator at Heather View responded to this review on 10 Apr 2018:

Thank you for your feedback – we’re very pleased to hear that your mother receives excellent care at Heather View. The manager and her team are committed to providing a first class all-round service and as part of that, our menus are regularly reviewed to deliver a nutritious and well balanced diet for all of our residents. Chef will always prepare meals or snacks for residents who would prefer something different to the menu choice and this can be ordered ahead or at time of service, and fresh fruit and other snacks are available in the communal reception area on each suite – the manager will ensure that these are topped up and accessible to all. Suggestions for different activities are always welcome and we have passed on your comments to our Lifestyle team for inclusion into their busy programme. Thanks again for your feedback – we appreciate it very much.

This is the second stay at Heather View and again we are extremely grateful for their care and attention to my father.
He celebrated his birthday whilst he was there and they could not have done enough, a cake on the day and a lovely buffet for 12 on the Sunday.
Cannot recommend this place enough. Really dedicated staff.

How likely would you be to recommend Heather View? Extremely Likely

Thanks to Broadstone and all the staff for making Dad's move to Broadstone from Ashdown so smooth.

How likely would you be to recommend Heather View? Extremely Likely

Mum has been at Heather view for 20 months. Her care is exemplary. She has all her needs met, always looks immaculately clean and is calm and happy and I am so delighted. Mum had a tough time on admission but the staff were patient, understanding and very compassionate, both to mum and to me. Through their love and care, mum is settled no price can be put on that.

How likely would you be to recommend Heather View? Extremely Likely

I find the permanent staff kind and caring. Unfortunately, sometimes there are lots of agency staff who are ok but don't know my needs. There is a lack of variety of food.

How likely would you be to recommend Heather View? Likely

Samantha Debenham, Marketing Support Administrator at Heather View responded to this review on 23 Jan 2018:

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review, and we’re particularly happy to see your positive comments and scores, particularly for our team and the care we provide at Heather View. We are committed to delivering excellent care standards and sometimes that does mean that we have agency colleagues supporting our own team. Wherever possible we book regular staff and we strive to balance our rotas to ensure each resident’s needs are met. We continue to recruit into our care team and are pleased to be introducing new team members to support our residents.

I’m sorry you feel that we have been unable to offer a variety of food – our chef and her team strive to offer choice to suit the preferences of residents at each service, with delicious and nutritionally balanced meals cooked fresh and where requested, to order. If there are dishes that you would like to see added to our menu, then, of course, please do let us know – we will arrange for Chef to visit you and discuss your individual requirements.

Having constant contact with both residents and staff at Heather View I can honestly say that residents could not be better fed, better cared for or better entertained, bearing in mind the many problems and needs that have to be addressed.
In my opinion, they deserve top rating on all fronts for 100% professionalism.

How likely would you be to recommend Heather View? Extremely Likely

I have nothing but praise for the staff and organisation. They have been helpful in every way. They have huge experience of people suffering from dementia in its many different forms and manifestations. Their patience and kindness is endless.

How likely would you be to recommend Heather View? Extremely Likely

In May this year (2017) both my dear parents became residents of Heather View; my mum suffers from dementia and my dad stage 4 cancer. The staff have been exemplary from the beginning in dealing with all aspects of mum and dads care both in terms of being individuals with complex needs as well as in helping them to continue life as a couple even though living on different floors. Living through the process of losing my dad was made that much easier by the care team both for us siblings and for my mum who continues to deal with her loss in her own way. I recommend Heather View with the highest esteem.

How likely would you be to recommend Heather View? Extremely Likely

All of the staff at Heather View are exceptionally caring and at the same time professional. Every request from myself and family is met without question.
My parents moved here in January 2016. The care they received before my father's death in March was outstanding. My mother remains there and is more than happy with the care and consideration she is given.

How likely would you be to recommend Heather View? Extremely Likely

From our first visit the Heather View, we felt welcomed. All members of staff are extremely helpful and always smiling.
It feels as though we are part of a very happy family. Everywhere is spotlessly clean and well maintained. An excellent care home where nothing can be improved.

How likely would you be to recommend Heather View? Extremely Likely

Heather View is a very welcoming, friendly clean home. The staff are always helpful and professional at all times. I am always greeted with a smile, not only from my grandparents but staff too, which means that it is a happy home. Loads of activities, really good food (according to my grandad) compliments to the chef!
To sum up I couldn't wish more for two lovely people in their final years (although very expensive).

How likely would you be to recommend Heather View? Extremely Likely

Very happy with the standard of care that my mother has been receiving over the last two years. I cannot fault the staff for their kindness and patience with her. I feel comfortable in knowing that she's being well cared for both day and night.

How likely would you be to recommend Heather View? Extremely Likely

Clean and welcoming, staff always friendly and most use my name which personalises the care visits by myself and my elderly mother.
day and individual rooms always kept in good condition, with a restaurant feel to the dining room which is a good touch.
Need for a daily "bib" to catch dropped food is essential for my father who can only use one arm and hand and frequently drops food in his lap, leading to frequent clothes changes which could be avoided. Extra cost in washing for the home! and a dignity aspect for my dad especially when he has friends and family visitors. My father has received excellent general care, he is compliant and able to converse with staff which has helped to build a good caring relationship. Thank you.

How likely would you be to recommend Heather View? Extremely Likely

Samantha Debenham, Marketing Support Administrator at Heather View responded to this review on 14 Oct 2016:

We’re grateful for your feedback and are delighted with the positive comments and scores for the care and support we provide, as well as the facilities, food and activities at Heather View. In regards to the difficulties your father had eating at mealtimes, I understand that the team leader has already been able to rectify this for you, but of course please do contact the home manager or any other members of the senior team at the home if there is anything else we can help with. Thank you very much again for your kind feedback.

All staff are extremely caring and professional, very clean and tidy all around the home. My grandparents seem very happy there and say it's like a 5-star hotel.

How likely would you be to recommend Heather View? Extremely Likely

I cannot praise all staff enough for making my mother and father feel welcome and at ease with their surroundings, everyone is so friendly, kind, accepting and very patient. Every request/questions are dealt with promptly and efficiently. Every one of the staff is willing to please, with a smile always, from cleaner, chefs, right up to and including management. What more can I say....where I thought I was "losing" my parents; instead I have gained an extended family! Many many thanks to one and all included!

How likely would you be to recommend Heather View? Extremely Likely

I have always found Heather View to be helpful and accommodating in caring for both of my parents. My mother has advanced vascular dementia and receives first class care and supervision is of great relief and comfort. Similarly when my father was no longer able to cope alone. I was able to turn to Heather View and since moving there he has settled in well aided by the first class care on hand.

How likely would you be to recommend Heather View? Extremely Likely

Heather View provides an excellent level of service and care. It is extremely well led by a strong and experienced management team, supported by outstanding staff who always go the extra mile. Residents receive personalised care and are respected as individuals by all areas of the service, management, catering, housekeeping, maintenance, activities, administration and of course the care teams. The excellent physical resources/environment is matched by a consistently positive, professional and happy atmosphere.

How likely would you be to recommend Heather View? Extremely Likely

Since my mother has been at Heather View (nearly 2 years ago) I have felt that her care has been very good. The staff and management have been very supportive, patient and understanding with her. They are an example in general of what all good care homes should be. They have a good standard right across the board. I am so glad that my mother is here.

How likely would you be to recommend Heather View? Likely

My mother has been a resident here for 19 months. I have been delighted with the care that she gets here and she is very happy. The staff are amazing. The care they give is second to none. I cannot fault it and I know three friends who have family members in here now, because of my recommendations and they are delighted too. I'm so glad I chose it.

How likely would you be to recommend Heather View? Extremely Likely

On the whole, the home is very good. Being well led by the manager. The team leaders seem capable but seem pushed for time, making it difficult at times to be able to speak to them. This also applies to the carers. At times it's hard to find anyone to have a word with especially at the weekends. The majority of the carers are friendly and courteous, being very kind and caring towards the residents. I have no experience of the night staff as I have never been at that time. The use of agency staff is always difficult as continuity and communication with everyone fail somewhat. The food is good. The chef and the kitchen team do a good job as do the housekeeping and laundry team. The handyman is very capable and always willing to help. The reception staff are all helpful and kind.

How likely would you be to recommend Heather View? Extremely Likely

Samantha Debenham, Marketing Support Administrator at Heather View responded to this review on 15 Sep 2016:

We’re grateful for your feedback and are delighted with the positive comments and scores for the care and support we provide. Regarding staffing levels, I would like to assure you we do a full dependency analysis for each resident which is used to plan staff deployment accordingly to make sure care is safe and appropriate for each resident’s needs, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. However, we do take your concerns and feedback seriously and would like to thank you for taking the time to share your views - we will arrange for a manager at the home to get in touch and discuss this further with you in person.

In one incident my mother let go of her zimmer frame and fell in the corridor, within seconds there were five carers rushing to help her. The staff are friendly and helpful and my mother has often said she is happy here. She enjoys the singing activities and the visiting dogs. The home is light and airy and clean and has a nice garden for residents and visitors to sit in.

How likely would you be to recommend Heather View? Extremely Likely

My Mother-in-Law, in her 80's suffered from dementia and despite excellent reviews and reports, we were unhappy with the atmosphere/level of care at the places we saw. We live in Crowborough and my friend's mother was a resident at Heatherview. Her mother also had dementia and she said she could recommend the home. After a visit ,observing it was streets ahead of anything else we had seen, we moved her into the home. We are so glad we did as her mental state deteriorated and the staff there were so well trained and lovely with her. We never saw anything but patience and kindness shown to residents by all members of staff. The food, hygiene and levels of care both pastorally and medically were second to none. The atmosphere is a happy one among both staff and residents. Sadly, she passed away recently, but as usual, the staff handled things in a very kind but professional way. She was always treated with respect and we were grateful that she ended her days in such a caring and lovely environment.

How likely would you be to recommend Heather View? Extremely Likely

A happy healthy environment. All are well cared for and individual needs are well met. Too often plans are made but cannot be met... finance??.. shame.

How likely would you be to recommend Heather View? Extremely Likely

Staff are extremely friendly and warm. My mother appears to be very well cared for. The bathroom is always very clean. On a couple of occasions, I have had to point out that her duvet was a little grubby (she eats in bed) and noticed the carpet required hovering. I am aware there have been some staffing issues as there have been agency nurses over the past few months. My concern is that the wonderful permanent staff have extra pressure training up and familiarising agency staff. I am aware of some discontentment, good staff of all levels should be respected, rewarded or they may seek employment elsewhere.

How likely would you be to recommend Heather View? Likely

My husband has been in Heather View for three weeks, following a four week stay in hospital. He is bedridden and is refusing to eat. The staff are very concerned about his welfare and try hard to entice him to ear ( he did not eat when in hospital). They encourage him to drink and are very patient with him. The personal care is very good too. He has neuropathy and his feel are very painful, but the nurses/carers are very attentive and try to keep him comfortable. He has moderate Alzheimer's so is unable to always communicate his needs. Activities are not applicable but the organiser of events does call in to see my husband.

How likely would you be to recommend Heather View? Extremely Likely

Very good room and bathroom, nice and large and always warm. Just a few things lacking. When I come to visit I find I have to tidy residents up after breakfast or lunch, i.e wash hands as still food all over them and face. Food on the floor not cleaned up and I always have to wipe her table as its sticky with food. Overall everyone seems nice enough.

How likely would you be to recommend Heather View? Don't know

Mostly good care with care assistants that are permanent. Agency staff not so good, information doesn't always seem to be passed on.

How likely would you be to recommend Heather View? Extremely Likely

Always friendly and prepared to help. Some days they are very busy and seemed to need more staff to help get all residents up and dressed. They make extra effort to get mum up if I arrived earlier than normal. The staff do more than required, even to help on their day off.

Submit a Review for Heather View

posted 22 May 2018

Please call us on 0189 288 2169 for current bed vacancies

December 2017

Natasha

Natasha King

Job Title: Deputy Home Manager

I’m passionate about my role and the home. I like to see lots of smiles and interaction with staff and residents. A good working day for me is to know that I have given my all to my team and to residents, knowing that they have all had a good day and that the care they’ve received has been the best.

Before joining Heather View I’d worked in independent care homes for ten years. I wanted to stay in the care sector while developing my skills and career. Care UK really helps you to progress – I actually started as a senior care assistant but was offered a promotion to deputy manager.

I think my proudest moments at Care UK were being nominated for the Team Leader of the Year award in the Care UK Residential Care Services Awards in 2013, and then being promoted to my current role. I’m now really looking forward to continuing to make Heather View the best dementia care home in the area, delivering the best possible service.

Trish

Trish Banks

When I was approached to work for Care UK I was managing an independent care home in Rusthall. I researched Care UK and was impressed with the range of services they provide in the care sector. The opportunities for employees to move within the company and progress in their career was also a factor which helped me to make the decision.

What I love most about my role is that every day is different. My favourite part of the day is walking around Heather View and spending time with residents and colleagues, and seeing residents enjoying themselves. I also enjoy meeting with relatives and attending our social events. You have to be a good communicator in this role. It’s key to ensuring that my team feels valued and supported, as is helping them to feel that they can express their views and share their ideas.

With their input I aim to make Heather View care home a friendly, homely place for everyone who lives, works and visits here.

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Heather View