Hengist Field Care Centre

Pond Farm Road, Borden, Sittingbourne ME9 8LS

Hengist Field Care Centre, Sittingbourne, Kent

Hengist Field Care Centre is a modern, purpose-built home which is situated in the beautiful Kent countryside close to the picturesque village of Borden.

Every bedroom has en-suite facilities and residents can also benefit from a physiotherapy treatment room, a sensory room and a large, secure garden with water features to aid relaxation, an on-site hair salon, an activity room and a purpose-built cinema.

Hengist Field also boasts five lounges, three dining rooms and a Relatives' Room. The lounges and dining rooms are spacious and tastefully decorated and overlook stunning gardens which residents can enjoy with their family and friends.

The dedicated, highly qualified team are committed to providing the highest quality of care and hospitality for residents. There is a qualified head chef providing healthy, nutritious, home-cooked food and an activities co-ordinator who is dedicated to providing residents with the option to have a more active lifestyle.

Group: Nellsar Care Homes

Person in charge: Lynda Ellis (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Kent County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 75 Service Users

Specialist Care Categories: Parkinson's Disease • Stroke

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Day Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Physiotherapy • Separate Dementia Care Unit • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Close to Local shops • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

We maintain an open-hours visiting policy, which means relatives and friends are welcome to drop by and see their loved ones at any time. Families are always welcome to join their relatives for afternoon tea or lunch.

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Hengist Field Care Centre: click here

8.7 Hengist Field Care Centre has a Review Score of 8.7 (8.735)

The Review Score of 8.7 (maximum of 10) for Hengist Field Care Centre is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.4 out of 5 from 18 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Hengist Field Care Centre in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 4.3 out of 5 from 5 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.402 for Hengist Field Care Centre is calculated as follows: ( (138 Excellents x 5) + (39 Goods x 4) + (16 Satisfactorys x 3) + (10 Poors x 2) + (6 Very Poors x 1) ) ÷ 209 Ratings = 4.402

The 4.333 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Hengist Field Care Centre is based on 5 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 15 positive Reviews (75 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 5 Reviews ÷ 15 Target = 0.333

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Hengist Field Care Centre?

Reviewer Connection to Hengist Field Care Centre

As a family, we couldn't recommend highly enough this care home and all the staff that work there. Their dedication to caring for my father went way beyond what we would have expected, and the whole atmosphere, personal attention to detail, and genuineness of care made his last days much more easy for him, and for us. All we can do is to warmly thank all who had any part in caring for him, we hugely appreciate you all.

How likely would you be to recommend Hengist Field Care Centre? Extremely Likely

Staff fine especially reception. Communication with us was poor, records/chart not updated. No alarm in room. Then it was never in her reach. Water jug over the other side of the room and no glass to drink from. After complaint drinks were left on her bed table. The manager did not leave office when we went to empty my friend's room. Did not speak to us even when safe key could not be allocated to return my friend's rings to us.

How likely would you be to recommend Hengist Field Care Centre? Extremely Unlikely

Overall Standard: Poor

Care / Support: Very Poor

Cleanliness: Poor

Management: Very Poor

Value for Money: Very Poor

Lynda Ellis, Home Manager at Hengist Field Care Centre responded to this review on 07 Jul 2017:

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your friend's stay at Hengist Field Care Centre. I welcome the opportunity to be able to discuss this further with you and would like to send my sincere apologies for the distress you have experienced.

We strive to deliver a high standard of care to residents and acknowledge that sensitivity and understanding when a loved one passes away is very important so I was sad to hear about the way we handled communication both during your friend's stay and following her death.
We take the comments made in your review very seriously and they will be used to assist us to continually improve our service.

Kind regards

My husband was taken to Hengist Field Care Centre at the beginning of February this year, following three months in hospital. He is receiving excellent care and nursing and my family and I could not have wished for him to be in a better place. All the staff are friendly and helpful, always willing to sort any problems out and give us advice and reassurance when we need it. We know we won't have my husband back at home and Hengist is the very best we could wish for as his home.

I was very daunted and worried about the prospect of my father going into a nursing home full time as have had quite negative experiences with my nan and my dad previously in nursing homes and really just got a generally bad feel for them overall and ended up losing faith!! Here at Hengist Field Care Centre, however, from the moment I walked through the door I felt very at ease and honestly can say I think my dad is in the best possible place. It's always very welcoming there and the staff are always very friendly and professional. It has been really hard since my dad took ill 6 months ago coming to terms with it all and the fact he cannot come home and it has been one less burden to know that he is being looked after exceptionally well. The minor criticism I'd have is that where there are so many different bank/night staff at times things aren't carried out maybe as they should be, I.e the details being written in the folder etc. This is possibly the only thing that lets the level of service slip at times in my opinion.

Modern building and facilities but over-reliant on agency staff to provide care. Often the staff are not trained to a sufficient standard and are often rude to patients. There is limited management supervision of the type of "care" provided and standards are often allowed to fall. No regular discussions with residents to identify problems. Visitor observations were sought but books have been removed. Standards have been allowed to fall.

Care / Support: Poor

Treated with Dignity: Poor

Food & Drink: Very Poor

Management: Poor

Value for Money: Very Poor

My mother has been a resident in Hengist Field Care home for 2 years. She is very happy there and is well looked after. The staff are exceptional and always have a chat with her. She has dementia so doesn't always understand what is going on. I would recommend the home to my friends and family.

I visit my aunt once a week and she was admitted to Hengist Field Care Centre in July 2016. As far as I'm concerned she appears to receive overall excellent medical/nursing care and the medical/nursing care and the staff are generally kind to her and welcoming. The level of general care appears good. I have not been present at meals times so cannot comment as to whether she needs help with eating. She tells me she enjoys the meals although I am unsure how reliable she is as a degree of dementia has set in.

Hengist Field is a modern care home of the highest standard. The staff are very kind and caring towards the residents and very helpful towards relatives and visitors. Nothing is too much trouble. If I ever need to go into a care home Hengist Field would be the place for me.

While generally care at the home is to a high standard, significant problems have occurred since June last year which local management have failed to prevent, adequately investigate or resolve. There are wonderful carers but the home is not run by competent and intrusive management. Simple dementia-related problems and how to overcome them appear difficult for managers to understand. The approach to resident care is generic rather than client-centred and communication between management and relatives when problems are raised, is poor, tardy, defensive, ever apologetic but never conclusive. Problems like: finding a knife, prescribed medicines (not taken but hidden) and soiled sheets hidden in my father's drawers; his dementia date board frequently set to the wrong date; forgetting to reschedule missed medical appointments, are examples of issues discovered by myself rather than by the staff. It could be exceptional here. Yet it has been a battle to get the management to grip problems.

Management: Very Poor

Value for Money: Poor

We were struggling to provide the 24 hour care that my 92 yr old, terminally ill mother needed. She was SO reluctant to go into ANY care home; she was scared, upset, angry... It felt so awful having to take the decision for her.

On the day she was admitted to Hengist Field the care team handled the situation so well. While my sister unloaded the car Mum was invited and willingly accepted the invitation to join the other residents in one of the lounges for a sing-a-long. She absolutely loved it.

The team allowed her to settle at her own pace. She stayed in her room for the first couple of weeks but once she found her equilibrium, she started to accept the invitations to have lunch in the dining room and join in the daily activities in the lounge. Then there was no stopping her! She's made some lovely friends and thrown herself wholeheartedly into all activities and outings on offer.

She's getting increasingly frail now but is so calm & peaceful, I couldn't wish for anything more.

Friendly and caring. Nice place to spend last years of life.

Due to a foot operation (bunion removal) I spent the day at Hengist Field Care Centre for some day care. The care staff were very attentive for thw whole of my stay and I was very well looked after. The nurse even changed my dressing which was really kind of her and she said it was no trouble at all. I will be recommending it to all my friends.

A very comfortable, modern and capable care centre. I was very impressed with the professional, friendly and caring attitude of all the staff. I would certainly recommend the centre to all concerned.

I had to have my mother put in care home as she was unable to look after herself. I found the staff and home very good and nothing was too much trouble. I'm afraid she passed away recently and the staff at the home were very helpful to myself and my family and I would recommend this home to anybody as they are a dedicated team. I am quite happy for my comments to be passed onto the home as I think they should be told.

Since granddad has been at Hengist Field, we have been made to feel welcome by the staff. In the three years granddad has used the care home we have only had minor points for improvement which have all bee addressed quickly and efficiently. All the staff are hard working, friendly and dedicated. The activities provided for the residents are brilliant, our personal favourites are the live music and summer BBQ's. The home is well maintained and clean, with lovely outside space.

Medical care is excellent - the nursing staff are all observant, attentive and obliging. The carers are all very nice and obliging also. However there have been recurrent reminders needed for what should be routine - such as bed making daily and bed change at least weekly, removal of plates after meals and bathroom being stocked always with towels and paper. These are all housekeeping matters. The activities programme has deteriorated and communal stimulation for all residents is important to well being regardless of ability - this could be improved therefore.

I go there once every two weeks to see residents in the lounge. Used to be a Pets as Therapy visitor but my dog had an allergy to the carpet cleaner and they asked me to stay on as a friend. I go on the activities/coffee morning. Now stay in the lounge but have been all round the home before and found it to be a very clean and pleasant place. The staff are friendly too.

The facilities are excellent. My brother's room was spacious and modern. Each room was bright and airy. The care staff were professional and friendly dealing with all the needs of my brother and family.

Submit a Review for Hengist Field Care Centre

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Hengist Field Care Centre