Mill View, East Grinstead, West Sussex

Mill View care home provide a warm welcome in luxurious surroundings and the very best in care, from short respite stays, through to full time nursing and residential care.

Staff are highly-skilled in the challenges individuals and their loved ones face, looking to deliver a service that meets daily needs in a dignified manner, while maintaining a living environment and friendly atmosphere in which everyone can feel relaxed and respected.

Group: Care UK Nursing & Residential Care Services

Local Authority / Social Services: West Sussex County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 70 Service Users

Registered Care Categories*: Dementia • Old Age • Sensory Impairment

Specialist Care Categories: Challenging Behaviour • Hearing Impairment • Visual Impairment

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Respite Care • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Near Public Transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Bar/Cafe on premises • Residents Kitchenette • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

Latest CQC* Report on Mill View: click here

9 Mill View has a Review Score of 9 (8.987)

The Review Score of 9 (maximum of 10) for Mill View is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.5 out of 5 from 10 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Mill View in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 5 out of 5 from 7 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.487 for Mill View is calculated as follows: ( (65 Excellents x 5) + (47 Goods x 4) + (7 Satisfactorys x 3) ) ÷ 119 Ratings = 4.487

2. 1 point is available for reaching a target number of Positive Reviews based on 20% of the number of registered beds. If the target is partially reached then that proportion of 1 point is given. eg a Care Home with 50 registered beds has a target of 10 Positive Reviews, if it has 10 or more Positive Reviews it will receive 1 point, if it has 7 reviews will receive 0.7 points.

The 4.5 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Mill View is based on 7 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 14 positive Reviews (70 registered beds ÷ 5). 7 Reviews ÷ 14 Target = 0.500

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Mill View?

Reviewer Connection to Mill View

• Partner of Resident/Service User

My mother moved into Mill View in early December 2015, when she was deemed to be 'unsafe' living in her own home with a live-in carer. From the outset, we were struck by the warmth and friendliness of all the staff we encountered. The administrative staff smoothed our path to enable my mother to move in within a couple of days, and the nursing and care staff showed great compassion and care towards my mother from the outset. My mother was always neat and clean and was encouraged by the staff to join in the many activities offered daily in the home or to sit with other residents in the lounge, where the staff were regularly interacting with them. My mother, who suffered from dementia, was helped and encouraged in every appropriate way but was never, to my knowledge, coerced or forced to do something she did not wish to. The staff showed infinite patience right up to the time of my mother's death and I am grateful to them all for their excellent level of care.

How likely would you be to recommend Mill View? Extremely Likely

We are so pleased we moved my mother to Mill View,
The senior staff are all excellent and their leadership permeates through the teams.
Only one complaint: Please get the broadband working ASAP. It is very important.

How likely would you be to recommend Mill View? Extremely Likely

Samantha Debenham, Marketing Support Administrator at Mill View responded to this review on 08 Dec 2016:

We’re very grateful for your lovely feedback and are delighted with the positive comments regarding the team at Mill View. In regards to the broadband, we do apologise for the drop in service and understand how important this is to residents – I’m pleased to say an engineer has visited the home and the issue has been resolved. Thank you again for taking the time to provide your feedback and kind words, and of course please do contact the home manager or any other members of the senior team at the home if there is anything else we can help with now or in the future.

Mum joined Mill View in February this year. Since this time she has been well cared for. The activities and the general company have helped her enjoy life more having lived with dementia and on her own for the last six years. A recent accident to her hip has emphasised how good the staff are in helping her on the road to recovery. The standards appear to be well maintained at Mill View.

How likely would you be to recommend Mill View? Extremely Likely

Mum has just moved in (10 days ago) after having falls and losing her confidence to walk without support from nursing staff. In just a week, she has gained confidence to walk with a Zimmer frame independently. She has taken a new interest in her appearance and for the first time in years wanted to use the hairdresser. She is joining in activities and talking to and interacting with the residents which is lovely as previously she would be reluctant to leave her house - even for family gatherings. The staff are lovely - they always have time for the residents and relatives, they know the resident's names and want to help them. They are all working as a team. Management, catering, maintenance, cleaners, laundry - all interact together and are open and honest in what they do. The residents come first and their needs are primarily important but so is the need to have fun and the staff all work to ensure this.

How likely would you be to recommend Mill View? Extremely Likely

From being greeted to leaving the excellent care home, staff are always polite and helpful. The office staff and manager always have time for anybody.
The handy man always busy keeping the home in top condition.

How likely would you be to recommend Mill View? Extremely Likely

I stayed at Mill View for 5 weeks following open heart surgery, as I lived alone and had no-one to care for me full time following the operation. The care I received was totally appropriate for my needs. Helping me to complete independence over my time there. The staff were always friendly and helpful but I did feel they were rather overworked, especially at weekends and were not able to spend as much time with each resident that they would have liked.
All the rooms are en-suite, very roomy and well furnished including the wet room. Lounge areas are good and many activities are provided for residents if they want them as are all public areas.

How likely would you be to recommend Mill View? Extremely Likely

Samantha Debenham, Marketing Support Administrator at Mill View responded to this review on 16 Aug 2016:

We’re grateful for your feedback and are delighted with the positive comments and scores for the care and support we provide, as well as the facilities at Mill View. I would also like to assure you that our levels of staffing are always suitable to meet the needs of all our residents seven days a week, and also overnight, to ensure we’re always providing high levels of both care and activities. Thank you very much for your kind feedback and we’re very happy you enjoyed your stay with us.

My mother has now been a resident of Mill View for the last 15 months. She has Vascular Dementia and it was a difficult decision to take her out of her own home and put her in to care. We looked at a number of local care homes and decided that Mill View was, in our opinion the best place for her. She has been extremely well looked after and has now put on over a stone in weight. As a family we think she is now more "with it" and this is down to the care and attention given to her by the staff at Mill View. Thanks to all the activities and social contact her brain is now being stimulated and she is very happy where she is.

The staff have been excellent right through nursing, welfare, chef and management.

I visited her the other day and her words to me were " They are all really nice in here and it is a lovely place. I sleep well and eat well". This was really comforting to know that she is happy where she is because at home alone it was a real worry.

How likely would you be to recommend Mill View? Extremely Likely

Staff very good, food very good, more exercise for younger residents would be appreciated. Better use of garden in good weather would make sense. Generally very happy with service.

How likely would you be to recommend Mill View? Extremely Likely

Cindy Luscombe, Home Manager at Mill View responded to this review on 27 Jan 2016:

We’re grateful for your feedback and are delighted with the positive comments and fantastic scores for the care and support we provide. We would also like to thank you for the constructive feedback which we will pass on to the team at the home.

Mill view is the nicest, cleanest care home I have ever visited. The staff are friendly, caring and engage the clients as well as looking after them to an extremely high standard. The whole experience of putting my father in a care home was very smooth and the management were very supportive. I can not recommend this place enough, my father loves it here. I would highly recommend Mill View, you can be assured that your family member will have the best care possible here.

How likely would you be to recommend Mill View? Extremely Likely

My partner has become agitated recently and has now been put on what is apparently the lowest dose of a sedative. However, this has resulted in him becoming sluggish to the point of being comatose and slurring is words and talking gibberish. I am very concerned that this treatment has been introduced despite my concerns and is obviously having a negative and extreme result.

How likely would you be to recommend Mill View? Unlikely

Submit a Review for Mill View

Please avoid using names and enter a minimum of 200 and maximum of 1,000 characters - Currently 0 characters.

December 2016

Scarlett MacDonald

Joined: 2010

I joined Care UK in 2010 as manager of Beech Hurst, but moved to take over the opening of Francis Court in 2012. I qualified as a nurse at the age of 18 and went on to work in acute care. I absolutely loved every day as an acute nurse and I had some great experiences working on different specialists’ units and completing further training with the Royal College of Surgeons. I later moved into working in a more commercial setting and gained another degree, this time in genetics and physiology.

I decided to go into care home management as I felt it offered the perfect way to bring together my commercial and clinical interests. I’m passionate about finding ways to make a difference to the lives of older people and I wake up every morning thinking about how I can improve the quality of life of residents at Francis Court, and most nights I go home happy in the knowledge that I’ve made a difference and generated a few smiles along the way.

I like to make the most of every opportunity for learning and development that comes along, and I also enjoy coaching other people so that they can develop too. At the moment I’m studying for a masters degree in business administration and I’m lecturing on nursing at the local college in the evenings.

Julie Millward

Joined: 2012

I’m a qualified registered nurse and midwife and I’ve worked in hospitals as well as care homes. I joined Care UK at the end of 2012 from being the deputy manager at another care home because the company has a great reputation.

What makes a good home manager? A sense of humour, good communication skills and a passion for the job. A keenness and ability to get to know your residents and colleagues is also vital. In fact, getting to know residents, spending time with them and making sure they’re happy is what I love about my role! I’m driven to ensure that Mill View is a superb care home – the best in the area – so people will want to make it their home.

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Mill View