Acacia Care Centre

32 Chalfont Road, South Norwood, London SE25 4AA

Acacia Care Centre is a purpose built, four story nursing home located on the outskirts of London. There are 62 single rooms which all have en-suite facilities, with 18 bedrooms on the top floor that are specifically designed to cater for residents who may suffer from dementia.

There is a lounge and dining room on every floor, as well as a library with IT facilities, a bar, and a bistro for residents to use at any time. The nursing home also has landscaped grounds with raised beds to allow residents to participate in gardening activities.

Group: LRH - Homes

Person in charge: Neela Mudali (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: London Borough of Croydon Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 62 Service Users

Registered Care Categories*: Dementia • Old Age • Physical Disability • Younger Adults

Specialist Care Categories: Alzheimer's • Stroke

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Physiotherapy • Separate Dementia Care Unit • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Bar/Cafe on premises • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Acacia Care Centre: click here

The Review Score of 9.6 (maximum of 10) for Acacia Care Centre is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.6 out of 5 from 47 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Acacia Care Centre in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 5 out of 5 from 15 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.552 for Acacia Care Centre is calculated as follows: ( (353 Excellents x 5) + (149 Goods x 4) + (32 Satisfactorys x 3) + (6 Poors x 2) + (3 Very Poors x 1) ) ÷ 543 Ratings = 4.552

The 5 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Acacia Care Centre is based on 15 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 12.4 positive Reviews (62 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 15 Reviews ÷ 12.4 Target Reached = 1

9.6 Acacia Care Centre has a Review Score of 9.6 (9.552) from 47 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Acacia Care Centre?

Reviewer Connection to Acacia Care Centre

My mum was resident in this care home for 4 months before she sadly passed away. Her care during this time by all care staff and nurses was excellent. The staff at the centre are so caring and kind. My mother received the best care she possibly could for her end of life. I can't thank them enough.

How likely would you be to recommend Acacia Care Centre? Extremely Likely

We are so pleased my mother-in-law could spend the last 6 months of her life in such a place as Acacia Lodge. She was surrounded by love, care and peace and died in a calm atmosphere with someone at her bedside. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff, they understood her every need, organised her medication to her advantage and they are simply superb. Thank you.

How likely would you be to recommend Acacia Care Centre? Extremely Likely

My mother recently passed away after two years at this care home. The care and attitude of all staff has been excellent. She did not take part in many activities but I know they are very good. The care home is always clean and everyone is very welcoming.

How likely would you be to recommend Acacia Care Centre? Extremely Likely

I am so pleased to see my brother in such a pleasant, clean and extremely friendly care home. Many thanks.

How likely would you be to recommend Acacia Care Centre? Extremely Likely

My friend has been a resident at Acacia Care Centre for over 4 years. Their high standards have been maintained and I am indeed pleased with his care and all that Acacia provides.

How likely would you be to recommend Acacia Care Centre? Extremely Likely

Overall very good. Staff are friendly and caring. We have had a few issues which are documented with management. Lovely garden and surroundings. Not very peaceful at night as other residents shout out.

How likely would you be to recommend Acacia Care Centre? Likely

Caring staff, facility good with games and entertainment. People seem happy. I am satisfied my sister is well looked after.

How likely would you be to recommend Acacia Care Centre? Extremely Likely

My aunt is a resident in the dementia unit of Acacia Care Centre. She is always treated with respect and care; she has care needs in all areas and communication problems so providing care can sometimes be a challenge.

How likely would you be to recommend Acacia Care Centre? Extremely Likely

In the fall of 2012, following a dementia episode, my uncle was placed in the Acacia Care home. As we live in Calgary Canada we were not able to come to see him until January 2013. When we arrived at Acacia we were very impressed with the facility and with the staff that we met, from the carers to the management. We are thankful for all the care given to him while he was a resident of Acacia.
We knew he was being well cared for. This was reaffirmed each time we returned to the UK to visit with my uncle. As well, each time friends of his visited they would email us to keep us informed about his care and condition. This reaffirmed with us that he was being well cared for by caring staff. During his last days (in October 2017) we received email updates about his condition and then a lovely note at the time of his passing. A few weeks later, we received a package by post with some personal mementoes, pictures and a couple of personal items which gave us comfort at this difficult time.

How likely would you be to recommend Acacia Care Centre? Extremely Likely

A well maintained care home with attentive staff and well organised. Meals - from those I've seen - are very simple, hardly appetising, and disappointing, especially when compared to the description given in your brochure. Generally the level of noise is what is expected, but there is excessive noise from the television sets in adjacent rooms. Could these residents keep the volume lower or keep their door closed? A good care home let down by poor food and avoidable noise. Expensive in the circumstances!

How likely would you be to recommend Acacia Care Centre? Likely

Aileen Nimmo, Sales and Marketing Manager at Acacia Care Centre responded to this review on 19 Oct 2017:

Thank you for taking the time to review our home. It is most helpful to get feedback in all areas of our care. Here at Acacia Care Home, we strive to provide the best standards for our residents. I will share your review with my team members, in particular, our chef to see how we might be more creative with our menu. I will also explore ways to try and reduce the sound around the home caused by our resident's TV’s. Unfortunately many of our residents being hard of hearing, resolution can be a challenge. I thank you for recognizing that overall our standards are good. I am proud of my team and know they are committed to providing great care and making life at our home as good as possible for the people that live here.

We visited 3 homes and this was the by far the best, we thought the service may be different when arriving but the home, management and staff have all been really good and very helpful, friendly and respectful to our father's needs.

How likely would you be to recommend Acacia Care Centre? Extremely Likely

Acacia Care Home is really lovely. The building is sympathetically laid out, so there is good personal space as well as communal space, including a beautiful garden that is well used. Staff are very familiar and helpful. In my opinion, compared to others in Barnet Borough where my own mum was, this is like a Palace.

How likely would you be to recommend Acacia Care Centre? Extremely Likely

We are very happy with the service provided the staff are excellent, caring and polite.

How likely would you be to recommend Acacia Care Centre? Extremely Likely

It is wonderful at Acacia. Staff are friendly, helpful and courteous.
My mother-in-law looks 10 years younger. Above all, she is clean and shiny and relaxed. I am happy she is at last in safe hands, we can only visit fortnightly as it takes 6-7 hours for a return visit, but each time she looks that little bit better!
Thank you all so much.

How likely would you be to recommend Acacia Care Centre? Extremely Likely

Mum moved to Acacia when residential care no longer seemed to meet her needs and when she thought it would help to be nearer me.
The atmosphere is generally very warm and caring and some of the carers and nurses are lovely, one or two are fantastic with mum.
As with other homes, there are times when it feels stretched (staff numbers), the food is not good and this often seems to be a challenge for care homes.
I have to help with tasks, like cleaning her room and finds the nights frightening, as staff don't seem very warm.

How likely would you be to recommend Acacia Care Centre? Neither Unlikely or Likely

I have found the staff in this care home from the receptionist to the carers, to be welcoming and friendly. They listen and show compassion when dealing with the residents and visitors. On several occasions, they have observed positive aspects about my sister's behaviour and have told me about it. My sister is unable to speak because she is suffering disabilities from a stroke. I am pleased with the way the staff are caring for my sister.

How likely would you be to recommend Acacia Care Centre? Extremely Likely

Dad was at Acacia for a very short time but was treated with great dignity and with care. Everyone, from the nurses to the cleaners, was so very nice. I am just so sorry he wasn't there for longer.

How likely would you be to recommend Acacia Care Centre? Extremely Likely

I wanted to say thank you to the staff nurse who took such good care of my dad. She treated him with respect and love. She made me feel confident to walk away and know that he was okay and safe.
She showed understanding and patience with him. When he finally died, she was crying with us.
She is a gem and an asset to your company.

How likely would you be to recommend Acacia Care Centre? Extremely Likely

Very pleased indeed with the care my father is receiving. High standard of nursing care. Staff are responsive to requests. The rooms and shared areas are clean, well decorated and welcoming.

How likely would you be to recommend Acacia Care Centre? Extremely Likely

My mum was a resident in Acacia for the last 3 years of her life. Facilities there are very good, and staff, in general, are excellent. This covers the whole range from reception, nurses, cleaners, admin and maintenance, management and carers, and activities coordinators.
As an organisation they really do try to get things right to treat their residents with dignity and affection and to try to help them be as active and engaged as possible. I genuinely used to look forward to my visits, and now my mum has died I miss going there.

How likely would you be to recommend Acacia Care Centre? Extremely Likely

I cannot recommend Acacia Care Centre highly enough. The care they gave my husband during the last weeks of his life was beyond words. The support they gave me during this difficult time was a great comfort.

How likely would you be to recommend Acacia Care Centre? Extremely Likely

I appreciate the friendliness and willingness of the staff here to make me feel comfortable and to feel at home.

How likely would you be to recommend Acacia Care Centre? Extremely Likely

It is continually heartening to note that the staff and carers are all so good and lovely. They look after all residents with good manners.

How likely would you be to recommend Acacia Care Centre? Likely

The overall care has been excellent for my dad. He is happy at the home however he sometimes complains about the quality of the meals. Not overly concerned as he was a chef and I expect he still has high expectations! The cleanliness has concerned me of late which might be the quality of staff members, so I would like to raise this as an issue. The home overall is a very comfortable and safe place for my dad.

How likely would you be to recommend Acacia Care Centre? Extremely Likely

I am very pleased indeed with the care and management of Acacia. It gives me great peace of mind to know that the resident is being cared for by the most wonderful and compassionate people.

How likely would you be to recommend Acacia Care Centre? Extremely Likely

Very happy with the level of care, assistants are fantastic, they work extremely hard as staff are quite often very low.

How likely would you be to recommend Acacia Care Centre? Likely

My friend has settled into her new home very quickly and is very happy there now with many fellow residents to spend time with. A much better environment than living by herself. I find the staff are very friendly, professional and very attentive. I join in with a few activities when visiting and enjoy them greatly as do the residents. The home is modern, clean and light with quiet areas as well as communal rooms which is great for guests who visit that may prefer a quiet time with residents, relatives and friends.

How likely would you be to recommend Acacia Care Centre? Extremely Likely

I have been to so many care and residential homes and I can surely say I find the service here value for money but there is room for improvement. Carers are the main caregivers and I would expect them to be paid accordingly. There can be room for improvising especially in one resident involvement.

How likely would you be to recommend Acacia Care Centre? Likely

Excellent care. Staff very supportive.

How likely would you be to recommend Acacia Care Centre? Extremely Likely

The staff have been very supportive and informative during the whole time my relative has been in their care. They have been particularly patient with the time taken to obtain "deputy" from the court of protection.

How likely would you be to recommend Acacia Care Centre? Extremely Likely

My aunt has been a resident at Acacia Care Centre since January 2016. She has always been well cared for physically with staff informing the family of any health problems/accidents promptly.
Staff have also ensured she is well dressed; her nails are done regularly. All necessary medical reviews/chiropody/dietitian intervention have been completed efficiently. In addition, her birthday celebrations were very enjoyable; staff at all timer are friendly and approachable.

How likely would you be to recommend Acacia Care Centre? Extremely Likely

My dad has been at the home for nearly a year. To date, we have been happy with the service and the level of care he is receiving. A handful of staff in particular, have been amazing.

How likely would you be to recommend Acacia Care Centre? Extremely Likely

I have always found Acacia Care Centre to be clean. Staff are attentive and cooperative.

How likely would you be to recommend Acacia Care Centre? Extremely Likely

Extremely happy with the care and support that has been given to my mum. Staff are very friendly and supportive.

How likely would you be to recommend Acacia Care Centre? Extremely Likely

My mum is well looked after at Acacia Care Centre and the staff are all very helpful at all times.

How likely would you be to recommend Acacia Care Centre? Extremely Likely

I find all the staff very helpful and approachable. I attended the resident day regarding my Mother-in Law which was informative and gave us the reassurance my Mother-in law's needs are being actively promoted. As a family we can visit at any time and this, once again is very reassuring. I am pleased with the personal care of my Mother-in Law, also the cleanliness of the home.

How likely would you be to recommend Acacia Care Centre? Extremely Likely

Generally staff are brilliant in what they do. However staff shortage effects the care that my mother receives. Especially on the weekends, it's terrible. My family and I have to help out with changing our mother on many occasions- this is unacceptable. If more staff were on the weekends then it would be better. The management team are good, they listen to any concerns but sometimes information does not always get to the centre manager, until we, as a family, speak to her about concerns that were already made.

How likely would you be to recommend Acacia Care Centre? Extremely Likely

Since my mother has been in this care centre she has been provided with all the care necessary. The staff are all very helpful and understanding any issue when it arises is dealt with. The accommodation provided is excellent.

How likely would you be to recommend Acacia Care Centre? Extremely Likely

My nan has been here for 1 year 2 months. She is very well cared for. The staff are lovely, friendly and do their job 100%. My nan is always clean and tidy and is happy at the home.

How likely would you be to recommend Acacia Care Centre? Extremely Likely

Two weeks respite care. I enjoyed my stay at Acacia. I was treated with respect and dignity, and I would recommend this care home to anyone needing similar care.

How likely would you be to recommend Acacia Care Centre? Extremely Likely

Mum was only at Acacia for a week before she passed away, but the home certainly made her very comfortable and were very supportive to us as a family. They are doing an excellent job.

How likely would you be to recommend Acacia Care Centre? Extremely Likely

My grandmother was sadly only at Acacia Care Home for 7 days before she passed away but in that short time, all the staff treated her with such care, compassion and dignity.
Nothing was too much trouble. Whenever we visited, grandma always looked clean and comfortable. All of her personal cosmetics such as creams and powders were always used on her which made such a difference.
All the staff we met were wonderful. When she passed away, I was called within 10 minutes and we were able to get to the home to say out goodbyes within minutes of her passing. I can only thank the staff from the bottom of my heart.

How likely would you be to recommend Acacia Care Centre? Extremely Likely

My friend who has severe dementia, has been residing at Acacia Care Centre since October 2013. I feel fortunate that we found such a beautifully managed and appointed care home, so close to where we live.
The care on the dementia floor is excellent, and the staff show amazing patience and compassion. I would highly recommend Acacia Care Centre.

How likely would you be to recommend Acacia Care Centre? Extremely Likely

Warm welcome when arriving, reception staff always willing and able to help with queries. Nursing staff are caring and supportive towards dad and our family. Unfortunately no outside shelter for residents or visitors in the garden during the winter months for smokers.

How likely would you be to recommend Acacia Care Centre? Extremely Likely

My sister was in Acacia Care Centre for almost a year before she died. The care was excellent with staff alert to any medical issues and quick to deal with them. All the carers were kind and considerate. My sister was happy and secure at Acacia and said several times how pleased she was that I had found it for her.

How likely would you be to recommend Acacia Care Centre? Extremely Likely

My mother spent the last five months of her life in Acacia and although I cannot honestly say that she fully settled in, the staff did their best to make her comfortable. The quality of the nursing on the dementia floor was generally excellent - the regular nurse there was extremely conscientious and kind to my mother - and some (although not all) of the care assistants appeared to engage very well with residents. The atmosphere in general was very pleasant and I always felt welcomed as a visitor.

How likely would you be to recommend Acacia Care Centre? Likely

My dad was made very welcome right from the start. He settled in very quickly and the staff were very lovely. He always talked about how nice he was treated by them. He was only there for six weeks due to the nature of his condition, but was made comfortable right to the very end.

Submit a Review for Acacia Care Centre

Top 20 Mid-size Care Home Groups 2017

Recipient: LRH - Homes

Top 20 Mid-size Care Home Groups 2016

Recipient: LRH - Homes

Top 20 Care Homes London 2014

Recipient: Acacia Care Centre

Date: Saturday 01 Feb 2014

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Acacia Care Centre