Hayward Care Centre

Corn Croft Road, Devizes SN10 2JJ

Hayward Care Centre is a 2015 addition to this provider's range of facilities, purpose-designed to support modern care practice that is individualised to suit the client, while employing professionals committed to a compassionate approach.

Independent living is supported by smaller and homely household units, which residents can personalise and which include ensuite bedrooms and wetroom showers.

Privacy is respected, while adults are also able to access a varied activities programme, a choice of home-cooked meals and landscaped gardens.

Group: The Orders of St John Care Trust

Person in charge: Alison Stenning (General Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Wiltshire Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Voluntary / Not for Profit Owned , Registered for a maximum of 80 Service Users

Registered Care Categories*: Dementia • Old Age • Sensory Impairment

Facilities & Services: Respite Care • Own GP if required • Smoking not permitted • Near Public Transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Bar/Cafe on premises • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Hayward Care Centre: click here

The Review Score of 9 (maximum of 10) for Hayward Care Centre is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.7 out of 5 from 31 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Hayward Care Centre in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 4.3 out of 5 from 5 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.671 for Hayward Care Centre is calculated as follows: ( (258 Excellents x 5) + (91 Goods x 4) + (11 Satisfactorys x 3) + (2 Poors x 2) ) ÷ 362 Ratings = 4.671

The 4.313 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Hayward Care Centre is based on 5 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 16 positive Reviews (80 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 5 Reviews ÷ 16 Target = 0.313

9 Hayward Care Centre has a Review Score of 9 (8.984) from 31 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Hayward Care Centre?

Reviewer Connection to Hayward Care Centre

Wonderful and dedicated staff. I can't praise them enough.

How likely would you be to recommend Hayward Care Centre? Extremely Likely

Made to feel welcome during respite break. Encouraged to join in activities. Treated kindly - nothing too much trouble.

How likely would you be to recommend Hayward Care Centre? Extremely Likely

After they closed my mums care home because it was so badly run, my mum was placed in Hayward but it was the best place for her. She is happy, well cared for and has improved mentally.

How likely would you be to recommend Hayward Care Centre? Extremely Likely

Our brother-in-law resided at Hayward Care Centre since 2015 and has received marvellous care and attention, particularly during the later weeks of his life when the staff went beyond their call to ensure he was treated with great care, compassion and dignity. During his last house, staff were constantly at his bedside ensuring he was not alone. What was particularly humbling was when staff from other wards, who had at some point looked after him, came to say their goodbyes, to caress his cheeks and to give him a kiss.
What a great team you have here. Many thanks to them all.

How likely would you be to recommend Hayward Care Centre? Extremely Likely

I would like to express my sincere thanks for the care shown to both my sister and brother-in-law whilst in the Hayward Care Centre. Everyone there has an empathy towards the residents the extra mile for their well being. The family could rest easy knowing our loved ones were being so well looked after. I can't thank them enough for the peace of mind they gave me knowing there was 24hrs care for my relatives.

How likely would you be to recommend Hayward Care Centre? Extremely Likely

My Dad has been a resident at Hayward Care Centre since December. I cannot fault the care he gets there. All of the care workers are so friendly and caring, it's like being in the middle of a large friendly family. The feedback we get is excellent, we are very glad we chose this home for Dad.

How likely would you be to recommend Hayward Care Centre? Extremely Likely

I have been visiting the Hayward Care Centre since October last year. I have always found the staff friendly and helpful. The house itself is well laid out with plenty of space for residents go so they can enjoy themselves on their own or in company. A well stocked kitchen allows them offer coffee and tea to their visitors.

How likely would you be to recommend Hayward Care Centre? Extremely Likely

Dad has settled really well into Hayward. His room is comfortable, light and well maintained with good facilities. The staff are all friendly and helpful, always available if there are items for discussion or just for a chat.
The care centre is welcoming, from reception, management, care, cleaning, catering and maintenance staff; it's like one big family. The food is well-appreciated, plenty of it, always a good choice and good portions. The garden is very nice and the café is an excellent facility for the use of the residents and visitors.

How likely would you be to recommend Hayward Care Centre? Extremely Likely

My father has been at Hayward Care Centre since December 13th 2016. We are so pleased with the care he has received. The staff are so kind patient and pleasant to the residents. The building is so clean and well looked after with a really friendly atmosphere.

How likely would you be to recommend Hayward Care Centre? Extremely Likely

The is a new well designed home which offers excellent accommodation for elderly residents. The care and attention given to residents by staff is of the highest standard. The quality of food given to residents is varied and offers residents a good choice, the way in which residents are served is carried out in a very understanding manner.
At every visit (unscheduled) residents always appeared happy and well cared for in a dignified manner.

How likely would you be to recommend Hayward Care Centre? Extremely Likely

My mother was admitted to the care home in March 2016 and despite excellent care she sadly died on 10th November. I have always stated in previous reviews how pleased the family were with all the care and other aspects of mums "home" on Bromham ward. The dignity which all of the team showed when she died was incredible. While dressing her at my request and unaware I had entered the room they spoke to and handled my mum as though she was alive.

How likely would you be to recommend Hayward Care Centre? Extremely Likely

My husband was in the care home for three nights respite. He was well looked after, had good food and apart from being a bit bored had no complaints. His poor mobility and near blindness may not have helped, hence he stayed in his room. Good cheerful staff and good feel to the home.

Excellent.

How likely would you be to recommend Hayward Care Centre? Extremely Likely

My sister was always well treated, comfortable and active when I arrived for a visit. She has dementia and can be a little difficult on occasions. The staff were always friendly and she liked them. After a couple of days it was obvious that the staff were aware of her preferences and foibles and were facilitating them.

How likely would you be to recommend Hayward Care Centre? Extremely Likely

I found it lovely, staff were very friendly. Mum got her bath with bubbles which she really enjoyed. When my father and I first visited Haywards, they showed us round, we were very impressed with the facilities, my sister wasn't sure so I went round again with my mother and sister who was very happy with the rooms and the layout of the building (and I loved the wardrobes). She was very impressed and happy for my mother to go there.

How likely would you be to recommend Hayward Care Centre? Extremely Likely

My mother has recently arrived, but has settled in well into the caring and attentive staff and the professional approach to her care. We are very impressed.

How likely would you be to recommend Hayward Care Centre? Likely

My father was made a residents at Hayward Care Centre in Oct 2015. I cannot fault the staff who have always been very kind and understanding. Im power of attorney for my dad and the care team keep me informed of any issues concerning my father promptly. The care centre is very clean and his room is perfect with en-suite shower/toilet. My dad is 90 years old and has dementia and gets very anxious at times but the staff are wonderful with him. I'm so pleased we managed to find this home for him.

How likely would you be to recommend Hayward Care Centre? Extremely Likely

Lovely home. Clean, very well furnished. Nice food, staff are friendly and helpful. They treat my Dad with dignity and respect. Lots of activities going on. My family and I are very happy with the care given to my Dad.

How likely would you be to recommend Hayward Care Centre? Extremely Likely

Overall I am very pleased with the care and attention my mother receives at the Hayward Care Centre, especially from the caring staff and helpers. Communication from the home to myself is good. My only concern is the lack or apparent lack of personal care given to my mother, eg. 2 weeks without toothpaste being provided. This is not a criticism of the staff as I know they are very caring to my mother.

How likely would you be to recommend Hayward Care Centre? Extremely Likely

Lynne Hewitt, Home Manager at Hayward Care Centre responded to this review on 19 Jan 2016:

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. I am happy that you are pleased with care and attention your mother receives here at Hayward. I have passed on your concerns to the Head of Care on your mother's household and can assure you that this will be monitored very closely.

my mother, has been a resident at Hayward since it was opened. She has received only the best care we could have wished for. We feel very fortunate to have found such a wonderful home where she is treated with the utmost respect. The staff are always very happy and nothing is too much trouble,

How likely would you be to recommend Hayward Care Centre? Extremely Likely

My mother who has dementia is looked after with great care and kindness. She is happy and content. The staff are particularly good and seem well supported by management.

How likely would you be to recommend Hayward Care Centre? Extremely Likely

Staff very helpful and friendly. Home was clean and welcoming. Food was nice and hot.

How likely would you be to recommend Hayward Care Centre? Likely

My mum has been at Hayward Care Centre since it opened after 5 years at another place. The home is 5 star without a doubt but the loving, homely, atmosphere of the other home has gone. It's just not the same. The carers are fantastic every single one and house staff, in fact all staff. I can walk away from there knowing my mum is cared for in the way she deserves but something big is missing. I thank each and everyone of them that look after my mum from the bottom of my heart. They deserve to be paid a lot more than what they are!

How likely would you be to recommend Hayward Care Centre? Likely

Jon Green, Home Manager at Hayward Care Centre responded to this review on 09 Sep 2015:

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review and I’m pleased that you are happy with the support we are giving to your mother. I will certainly share your comments with the team, who I know will much appreciate them. I think everyone finds the move to a new home a little odd. Inevitably, the atmosphere of a previously familiar and much loved environment cannot be replicated, and it takes some time for new surroundings to gain that homeliness. This is especially true when moving from an older building to a brand new one, since everything is quite different. I hope that, as the months pass, you are finding that Hayward is gradually becoming equally homely and comfortable in its own way.

We chose the Hayward Care Centre for my mother when it became clear that we could no longer care for her at home. We decided on the Hayward Centre as we were impressed with the facilities and got a good feeling about the staff following an initial visit. My mother was extremely apprehensive and difficult about living in a care home, but nearly two months on she seems to be settling in well and every week sees a further improvement in her. Everyone seems very friendly and focussed on providing care and support to the residents. The Centre is always clean and there always seems to be plenty going on.

I have just read the CQC report for the Centre which wasn't available until recently and I am surprised that the findings are below standard in most areas. Given that the Centre is fairly new I can only assume that policies and procedures are still evolving. From my impression of Hayward I would have no hesitation in recommending it to others.

How likely would you be to recommend Hayward Care Centre? Likely

Jon Green, Home Manager at Hayward Care Centre responded to this review on 25 Aug 2015:

Thank you very much for your review. As you say, we are all still getting used to our new living and working environment so everything is still evolving. It is, therefore, particularly pleasing to hear that you are happy with the service we are providing and that your mother has settled in so well.

Carers have been brilliant since Hayward Care Home opened. But management have been very weak and not helping with day to day care and staffing levels from start. Get management right provide support for the great staff and keep staff levels up.

How likely would you be to recommend Hayward Care Centre? Likely

Jon Green, Home Manager at Hayward Care Centre responded to this review on 14 Aug 2015:

Thank you for your review. I know that the support workers looking after your mother will very much appreciate your comments and will be sure to pass these on. I am also pleased that we have had an opportunity to discuss various issues which were causing you concern and, as agreed, will look forward to meeting you again shortly to ensure that those concerns have been addressed.

Hayward is a new build and obviously very clean. All decoration and furnishings are first class. Very good with items along corridors to encourage looking at pictures, items of wear, instruments etc to bring back memories. The staff are extremely pleasant and helpful all of them. The food is good with choices given at every meal to suit different tastes. The only niggle I have is that not enough staff to walk everyone around now and again. My husband needs to walk more and not keep sleeping in the chair. The garden is equipped with seating for days in the sun and to walk around on smooth tarmacked paths well thought out.

How likely would you be to recommend Hayward Care Centre? Extremely Likely

Jon Green, Home Manager at Hayward Care Centre responded to this review on 10 Aug 2015:

Thank you for your review of our services, which is much appreciated. I am pleased that you are happy with the overall service we provide and the environment of the home. I have taken note of your point in relation to your husband having more opportunity to walk around, and we will do our best to ensure that this happens in future.

My mother entered the home when it opened this spring. The staff, (from two local homes now closed) are outstanding. their kindness together with the excellent facilities and delightful surrounding have helped my mother to settle in quickly. My only criticism is that teething problems of a new establishment e.g poor ventilation, access in and out of the building for visitors. All decisions are made by head office which is slow to react and reluctant to spend money on building mistakes and hiring a few extra staff where needed. That said we are very pleased with our choice of home for my mother. She is happy.

How likely would you be to recommend Hayward Care Centre? Likely

Jon Green, Home Manager at Hayward Care Centre responded to this review on 11 Aug 2015:

Thank you for acknowledging the “excellent facilities” we have here. We welcome relatives and others in helping us to identify any “teething problems” in this brand new building and I can confirm that most of these were solved within the first six months. However, in a new building it can sometimes take an infuriatingly long time to work out the best way to rectify apparently simple problems. Please rest assured that although there are some difficulties still being worked on, these are being addressed as quickly as possible.

Short reviews with senior staff members regarding mums health care issues. Satisfactory outcome. Care and treatment regime carried out perfectly with all staff complying to care and treatment instructions from D/N and doctors.

How likely would you be to recommend Hayward Care Centre? Extremely Likely

The person I visit on Potterne Unit always looks clean and tidy and appears happy. The staff are very interacting with the residents. It is always very welcoming and I look forward to my visit. The person I visit has been known to me since 2007. I used to visit when they were at another home before moving here to Hayward Care Centre.

How likely would you be to recommend Hayward Care Centre? Extremely Likely

The staff are wonderful with the residents. The bedrooms are big, bright and each one has their own bathroom. The lounge and dining rooms are bright and light and with lots of room for the residents with frames and wheelchairs. The food is very very good, all cooked in Hayward kitchens with drinks and snacks for the residents to help themselves to all day. I feel very happy that my mother is in such a lovely care centre.

How likely would you be to recommend Hayward Care Centre? Extremely Likely

Very kind and caring staff who have helped my mum to settle in her new home after a very difficult year following my dads death. The facilities are very good and the atmosphere is homely and comfortable. The new manager has already held meetings for families to raise any concerns and suggestions - very pleased to see how quickly and effectively he has actioned these. Can't thank the staff enough - mum is now very happy where she is.

Submit a Review for Hayward Care Centre

October 2015

Alison Stenning

Joined: 2017

The sixty residents at Hayward Care Centre are cared for by a committed team of over one hundred which includes support workers, catering, ancillary, maintenance and administrative staff. The home is led by the General Manager, Alison Stenning who is supported by a Care Service Manager and a team of Senior Support Workers.

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Hayward Care Centre