Coldwells House

Coldwells Rd, Holmer, Herefordshire, Hereford HR1 1LH

Coldwells House is dedicated to offering personal care to older people, offering places for individuals with dementia and with physical disabilities.

Coldwells House has undergone further development to meet demand, whilst the home retains a homely atmosphere it offers state-of-the-art facilities to enhance the lives of its residents. The home is set amongst beautiful gardens which the residents can readily access.

The home was rated Good by the CQC in June 2016.

Group: Herefordshire Care Homes

Person in charge: Sharon Childs (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Herefordshire Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home only (Residential Care) – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 41 Service Users

Registered Care Categories*: Dementia • Mental Health Condition • Old Age • Physical Disability • Sensory Impairment

Specialist Care Categories: Alzheimer's • Stroke

Weekly Charges Guide: Personal Care Single £700 – £850 (These prices are only a guideline, please contact Coldwells House to find out the exact price for your requirements.)

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Physiotherapy • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Smoking not permitted • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Bar/Cafe on premises • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Coldwells House: click here

The Review Score of 9.8 (maximum of 10) for Coldwells House is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.8 out of 5 from 27 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Coldwells House in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 5 out of 5 from 16 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.758 for Coldwells House is calculated as follows: ( (255 Excellents x 5) + (56 Goods x 4) + (11 Satisfactorys x 3) ) ÷ 322 Ratings = 4.758

The 5 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Coldwells House is based on 16 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 8.2 positive Reviews (41 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 16 Reviews ÷ 8.2 Target Reached = 1

9.8 Coldwells House has a Review Score of 9.8 (9.758) from 27 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Coldwells House?

Reviewer Connection to Coldwells House

• Relative of Resident/Service User

My sister-in-law is provided with excellent care in a lovely room with excellent meals. Unfortunately, she is not helping herself and although she does not have dementia she just sits in her chair all day and seems to do nothing but just waiting to die. She will not join in any activities really and rarely leaves her room to go to the dining room. I know this is not the care homes fault but it is so sad to see her deteriorating every time I see her. The staff are so pleasant and caring and she is definitely in the best place.

How likely would you be to recommend Coldwells House? Extremely Likely

As a family, we think the care of our Mother over the last 2 years has been extremely good. We visit on different days at different times, and the home is always well run and the residents are happy and contented. The activities are good with the residents joining in as much or as little as they like. When we visit we are always made welcome and any question or concerns we may have are quickly answered or dealt with.

How likely would you be to recommend Coldwells House? Extremely Likely

My wife was diagnosed with primary progressive aphasia in 2006 possibly leading to dementia.
I looked after her at home until 2011 since then she has been in the above mentioned care home where she is well taken care off.
I visit almost every day, however, as she is unable to speak we have no idea whether she knows me or members of the family.
She is bedridden but eats very well spoon fed.
By observation, we can see she is well cared for and think we are very fortunate in our choice of care home.

How likely would you be to recommend Coldwells House? Extremely Likely

The care is excellent, kind staff, good food. My mother went in not expected to live long. The home not only made her comfortable but she has improved so much she is now very well and happy. They are also very patient with my father who visits every day for 5-6 hours. Mother has been a resident for 14 months now. We also had another relative in the home previously who they looked after till the end of her life.

How likely would you be to recommend Coldwells House? Extremely Likely

Coldwells has become a home from home for Mum. The way the home is run sets a great standard of care, a wonderful environment to live in and includes daily activities to engage and interest the residents.
Coldwells key assets are the fantastic staff who really understand their residents individually and connect too with us as relatives.
All worries about “putting Mum in a home” have disappeared very quickly, and she is delighted to live in Coldwells.

How likely would you be to recommend Coldwells House? Extremely Likely

They have looked after my mother in law since 2014, I couldn’t have put her in a better home. Their care is very good they treat all their residents with respect and dignity, they have a very good activity progra. The food is a good variety, as good as any hotel.

How likely would you be to recommend Coldwells House? Extremely Likely

The home provides a good overall standard of care. Relative happy in surroundings and this puts our minds at rest.

Building excellent - warm and décorated to very high standard, overall a really good home. I do feel that more staff would be useful at times, particularly in the laundry and during busy times.

How likely would you be to recommend Coldwells House? Likely

Dad has been at Coldwells House for the last 18 months and I would just like to say how pleased we are with the care dad receives. All the staff are kind, caring and thoughtful to dad's needs and ours. On his 90th birthday last April, they put on a lovely party that we could invite family and friends to and he had a wonderful time. The food was excellent.
The facilities, food and cleanliness are excellent.
We are able to visit dad anytime and the staff are always friendly and keep us well informed of any changes to dad's care.

How likely would you be to recommend Coldwells House? Extremely Likely

I have visited on many occasions and have always found the staff helpful, courteous and kind to everyone, they have a lovely coffee shop with beautiful homemade cakes, scones and biscuits. I have enjoyed lunch at Coldwells House whilst visiting and everyone was offered a pre-lunch drink. I enjoyed a small sherry before lunch and a delicious home cooked two-course lunch with a small glass of wine, followed by an afternoon of singing and dancing to a wonderful entertainer/singer very colourful. I must say it's extremely lovely friendly place to be.

How likely would you be to recommend Coldwells House? Extremely Likely

I cannot recommend Coldwells highly enough. The level of care and the attitude and approach of all the members of staff is exemplary, the buildings, room and grounds are all immaculate and food/facilities/activities offered to the residents are excellent. Whenever I visited, all the residents were engaged, happy and active. At no point did I see groups of people sitting around the edge of a room staring into space - there is always something to do or the staff are just chatting to the residents. The facilities - both for residents and visitors are great and the idea of the little cafe where visitors can take their loved ones for tea and cake without the need to leave the building is genius. The thoughtfulness and genuine care and interest in each individual resident is outstanding. Their approach to the care of my Mum was tailored to her changing needs over time and their help and support for me, when needed, was equally good.

How likely would you be to recommend Coldwells House? Extremely Likely

Excellent service and staff - always respond to any concerns we have and keep us fully informed. They treat residents with genuine love and respect and do not patronise them when dealing with them. Very satisfied with everything they do to care for mum.

How likely would you be to recommend Coldwells House? Extremely Likely

My 97 year old mother moved into Coldwells in mid-June after a few falls and spells in hospital. With deteriorating eyesight and a few UTI's, she was occasionally disorientated but the staff at Coldwells have been extremely patient and kind. They keep the family informed and up to date with news, and the clean, modern facilities and busy social programme involving everyone is everything we could wish for for Mum.

How likely would you be to recommend Coldwells House? Likely

My mother has dementia and we no longer had the experience, knowledge or capability to look after her at home. Coldwells House has been brilliant. Initially with the look around, myriad of questions, settling in of mum, who was determined to escape and now in supporting her from day to day.
Whenever, I visit my mother is smiling she has many friends, joins in activities and looks wonderful. In fact, she thinks the "hotel" she is living in is wonderful. We are thrilled with our choice.

How likely would you be to recommend Coldwells House? Extremely Likely

My friend of 35 years "moved in" during November 2016. At all times, she has been cared for extremely well. The staff are well trained, neatly dressed and tidy. The home is new, with quality furniture and bedlinen and towels. The staff are friendly and approachable to visitors and refreshments available. The grounds are extensive, well maintained and the care parking is good.

How likely would you be to recommend Coldwells House? Likely

All staff are very caring, well run and beautifully clean.

How likely would you be to recommend Coldwells House? Extremely Likely

My husband, who has Alzheimers and vascular dementia, came to Coldwells House in March of this year. I have been very impressed with all aspects of care and faciltities. He settled in very well and I have no worried about his care. The only complaint is that his clothing doesn't always come back to him and I have seen his shirts being worn by others. As I believe there are only four men in residence and I have marked all his clothes with his initials, I find this very aggravating.

How likely would you be to recommend Coldwells House? Extremely Likely

My father was only a resident for two weeks. I do wish it could have been longer as the quality of care, the life residents have is wonderful. The activities are so far removed from the "happy clappy" vision I previously held. All of the residents are happy and clearly well settled and comfortable. The end of life care my father received was outstanding. We were allowed to stay 24 hours a day (although I didn't need to). His passing was dignified, as fitted the man. I was taken care of also at this difficult time andI know it is greatly helped with the grieving process. All I can say is thank you!

How likely would you be to recommend Coldwells House? Extremely Likely

I can not praise this care home enough. Throughout the experience of visiting, every kindness and care was taken. Nothing was too much trouble and every possible consideration was taken both with the resident and us the family. It made out time there easier and gentle.

How likely would you be to recommend Coldwells House? Extremely Likely

I am not good with words but I am comfortable here and the staff could not be more helpful.

How likely would you be to recommend Coldwells House? Likely

Very nice welcome from all of the staff. Everyone was friendly and provided great refreshments for a family visit. My mum always has nice things to say about the home, food and staff. She is happy here, which is the most important thing to us.

How likely would you be to recommend Coldwells House? Extremely Likely

My grandmother recently took up residence at Coldwells Nursing Home and when we attempted to take her out on visits, etc. showed signs of anxiety and panic attacks. When we approached Christmas we were concerned as to how she would cope coming out for the day and didn't want to stress her. The staff at Coldwells said they were happy for us to hold a pre-Christmas dinner at the home and catered for all the family (17 in all) meaning that everyone could get together at the same time and have a proper family Christmas time with my grandmother.

We were able to use the private visitors room and when we arrived the table was laid up beautifully with flower arrangements, crackers and even printed menus for our family. We were given so much food including sherry to start, a full turkey roast followed by Christmas pudding, cheese and biscuits, mince pies, chocolates and coffee. The food was exceptional and the care home staff were so attentive, it was very humbling. They only asked us for a donation towards costs, but we made sure their costs were all covered.

I really cannot thank the staff for looking for a way around our problem and making our Christmas celebration with my grandmother so special. This was a new idea for them and apparently the staff are now looking at offering afternoon teas for visitors wishing to spend time alone with their relatives without having to take them out from where they feel safe.

Thank you.

How likely would you be to recommend Coldwells House? Extremely Likely

All the staff appear very professional and dedicated and make us (the family) very welcome whenever we turn up. They provided the entire family (17) with a beautiful Christmas dinner when we all got together to visit our Mum just before Christmas.

How likely would you be to recommend Coldwells House? Extremely Likely

The staff organised a lovely christmas lunch for sixteen close family relatives, the standard of which was excellent and the staff very attentive. Our relative in care has settled extremely well and is very happy in her environment.

How likely would you be to recommend Coldwells House? Extremely Likely

As a family we are very happy with the standard of care our mother is receiving at Coldwells House.

How likely would you be to recommend Coldwells House? Extremely Likely

Outstanding home with a team of dedicated and committed staff, made all relatives feel most welcome and provide A1 care to our relative. This is the fourth time we have visited and on all visits we have felt the same, could not wish for better care for our relative. Please note the home is exceptionally clean and offers outstanding care 24 hours a day, could not wish for more. Puts our mind at rest.

How likely would you be to recommend Coldwells House? Extremely Likely

Coldwells is a very warm and welcoming home. The overall appearance is very smart, clean and tidy. The residents including my mother all seem happy, smart and very well cared for. All the staff are wonderful nothing is too much trouble. The care, kindness and understanding they show to my mother is outstanding. The activities provided are brilliant, giving my mother the opportunity to interact with the other residents and have some fun. So as a family we can't fault Coldwells House.

How likely would you be to recommend Coldwells House? Extremely Likely

When my wife and I decided to put my mother in a home we did our research and visited homes, we found Coldwells came on top, because they have expertise on dementia, they respect the client, compassionate, thoughtful, they interact with them, do lots of work, games, puzzles, knitting and get then to remember their past life as they have long term memory. My mother is very happy in the home, we also have a good rapport with them, they always tell us how she is getting on and we always help with their special days i.e. family day, pets day, music day.

Submit a Review for Coldwells House

There are currently no awards/recognitions posted yet for Coldwells House

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Coldwells House