Straven House Care Home

Queens Road, Ilkley LS29 9QL

Straven House offers personalised residential care, respite, palliative and convalescence provision tailored to provide each Resident with dignity and respect. A day care service also welcomes members of the local community.

A converted Grade II listed building, the home has elegant furnishings and reception rooms, homely quiet areas and scenic surroundings, all suited to wheelchair access.

The appetising menu of food takes on board personal taste and diet, cooked with fresh ingredients by an experienced chef. Residents can enjoy their meals with views of the landscaped garden. Light snacks and beverages are available throughout the day.

Straven House offers a wide variety of activities for Residents to enjoy if they wish to. The home has good connections to the local community including the children's gardening club. Visitors are welcome to participate in activities to spend quality time with their loved ones or just to socialise with others.

Person in charge: Andrea Pearson (Home Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: City of Bradford Metropolitan District Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home only (Residential Care) – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 24 Service Users

Registered Care Categories*: Mental Health Condition • Old Age • Physical Disability

Languages Spoken by Staff (other than English): Polish, Romanian

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Day Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Straven House Care Home: click here

The Review Score of 9.5 (maximum of 10) for Straven House Care Home is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.5 out of 5 from 21 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Straven House Care Home in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 5 out of 5 from 9 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.526 for Straven House Care Home is calculated as follows: ( (147 Excellents x 5) + (91 Goods x 4) + (11 Satisfactorys x 3) + (2 Poors x 2) ) ÷ 251 Ratings = 4.526

The 5 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Straven House Care Home is based on 9 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 4.8 positive Reviews (24 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 9 Reviews ÷ 4.8 Target Reached = 1

9.5 Straven House Care Home has a Review Score of 9.5 (9.526) from 21 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Straven House Care Home?

Reviewer Connection to Straven House Care Home

Very comfortable. Good staff. Well cared for, 10 days stay.

How likely would you be to recommend Straven House Care Home? Extremely Likely

Very friendly, caring, going out of their way to help with a homely feel.

How likely would you be to recommend Straven House Care Home? Extremely Likely

We have found Straven to be a caring and friendly place. Those who work there, at all levels, show patience and empathy. Mum is settled and feels safe. We are very grateful for all the kindness shown.

How likely would you be to recommend Straven House Care Home? Extremely Likely

The home is clean, warm and comfortable. The staff are kind and caring and always on hand to talk to.

How likely would you be to recommend Straven House Care Home? Extremely Likely

My mother spent her last year being cared for by the staff at Straven House. I cannot fault the care my mother received. The staff were professional and diligent but above all else caring. I cannot thank them enough for making her final year comfortable. A lovely place and lovely people.

How likely would you be to recommend Straven House Care Home? Extremely Likely

I am very content with all the care I receive. Doctors opinions and visits and district nurses are always sorted quite quickly.

How likely would you be to recommend Straven House Care Home? Extremely Likely

I have now been here six months, after just over two years in another care home. The same problem arises, staffing the homes.
You just get used to someone, when away they go!
Staff need more pay, for what they do for us and believe me, they do put themselves out for us!
Of course, we do pay enough to be in care!
The menus, to me, need more variety in general.

How likely would you be to recommend Straven House Care Home? Likely

Clare Sheehan, Care Advisor at Straven House Care Home responded to this review on 28 Feb 2018:

Thank you for your review. We appreciate all feedback as this allows us to improve our services where required. The home has recently recruited into vacant hours; it is very much our aim to retain our staff but unfortunately, this can create a high turnover when staff do leave. Staff will leave for a variety of reasons, be it personal, career change or advancement, relocation, etc. Thank you for your kind comments about the staff at the home, they do work hard to provide good kind care to our Residents and we are very proud of them. We aim to offer a variety of meals and options and we are certainly happy to cater to other choices our Residents may have.

I have recently been to Straven House for a short period of respite care. This is the second time I have stayed while my family went on holiday. The staff are kind, caring and very professional. I had a pleasant, comfortable room and the food was excellent. There are activities on most days of you wish to join in, I sat in a quiet room and read. I would go again if ever I needed to. I liked the calm atmosphere.

How likely would you be to recommend Straven House Care Home? Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer Services Administrator at Straven House Care Home responded to this review on 07 Jul 2017:

Thank you for your review. So glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope too see you again some time.

Staff are friendly, helpful and efficient. The home is clean and safe.

How likely would you be to recommend Straven House Care Home? Likely

Simone Berkeley, Customer Service Advisor at Straven House Care Home responded to this review on 31 May 2017:

Thank you for your review, we appreciate your feedback. We are pleased to hear about your positive experience and appreciate your comments about our home and will share your comments with the home’s manager.

The Bupa Customer Care Team.

I came to Straven House for some respite care because I was struggling to cope alone at home as a result of various health issues.

Since my arrival, I have been very impressed by the standard of care. I do not need personal care in that I am mobile and in full command of mental faculties.

I do, however, value greatly the fact that physical support is there if I need it. In the meantime, I cannot comment too highly on the emotional support, encouragement and kindness that I have received from all members of staff.

They work tirelessly and selflessly for long hours and always with a willing smile and an attitude of 'can do'.

This is to their credit and I applaud each and every one of them.

My recovery is complex but I do know that without my dear friends here at Straven House I could not have made the progress that I have.

In time, I will leave the home - hopefully, to return to independent living - but I will always owe a huge debt of gratitude to the team at Straven.

How likely would you be to recommend Straven House Care Home? Extremely Likely

Simone Berkeley, Customer Service Advisor at Straven House Care Home responded to this review on 22 May 2017:

Thank you for your review, we appreciate your feedback. We are pleased to hear about your positive experience and the help and support provided, We appreciate your comments about our home and will share your comments with the home’s manager.

The Bupa Customer Care Team

Good clean home with a good number of activities to keep residents occupied. All staff are friendly and welcoming at all times, and good communications with residents and family members. The manager is hard working and shows great are skills. Food menu good and smells great.

How likely would you be to recommend Straven House Care Home? Extremely Likely

Emily Wilson, Customer Service Administrator at Straven House Care Home responded to this review on 17 Mar 2017:

Thank you so much for your review, we really appreciate it. I am pleased to hear that you are happy with our Straven House Care Home, I will feed back your comments to the home manager. The Bupa Customer Care Team.

Resident is well supported and cared for, staff helpful and friendly. I feel, however, that there should be more staff. I asked that for example; to give the resident the opportunity for a bath or shower every day and this is difficult due to staff/resident ratio.

Also feel that costs do not allow for time away from home. Too tightly regulated. For example; having to be away for 7 days consecutively at our 40k per year some flexibility could be actioned.

How likely would you be to recommend Straven House Care Home? Likely

Emily Wilson, Customer Service Administrator at Straven House Care Home responded to this review on 15 Mar 2017:

From the day my mother moved into Straven House, the staff have always been extremely helpful and supportive. The care which my mother is receiving is excellent. She and the other residents always appear well-dressed and well cared for. The staff are always on hand to attend to resident's needs.

How likely would you be to recommend Straven House Care Home? Extremely Likely

We have been very pleased with all the staff and how they have looked after mum. They are very attentive both medically and emotionally and mum has settled really well. If there are any issues they address it immediately and operate very clear lines of communication. The home has been very flexible as mum's condition changed and nothing was too much bother.

How likely would you be to recommend Straven House Care Home? Extremely Likely

Emily Wilson, Customer Service Administrator at Straven House Care Home responded to this review on 10 Mar 2017:

My elderly friend who suffers from dementia has been receiving respite care one or sometimes two days a week since August 2016. She has also had 3 short stays (1 three weeks, and 2 2 or 3 days)
The care she has received has been exceptional. There is always a friendly greeting from both staff and residents and from day one she has felt at home there, although she is always glad to come home at the end of the visit.

How likely would you be to recommend Straven House Care Home? Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer services administrator at Straven House Care Home responded to this review on 09 Mar 2017:

Thank you for your review. We are pleased to hear about your positive experience and appreciate your comments about our home and will share your comments with the home’s manager. The Bupa Customer Care Team

My aunt (aged 93) moved into Straven House in august 2016, initially as a respite and subsequently a permanent resident. I and other members of the family are very impressed at the high standard of care afforded by Straven House.
We are particularly impressed by the quality and commitment of the staff at Straven House and the excellent management team.
Communication with me has been of a very high standard and all matters concerning care and financial issues have been dealt with very effectively and promptly.

How likely would you be to recommend Straven House Care Home? Extremely Likely

Thank you for your review. Your comments are extremely important to us and our residents’ health and wellbeing are our absolute priority. We will discuss your feedback with the home’s manager to help them continually improve their service. The Bupa Customer Care Team.

My mother lives at Straven House Care Home and has severe dementia. It is her home in every sense in particular because she is now part of a very loving extended family - I know she feels genuinely loved by every carer she shares the home with. As her son this is of immense value to me, we looked long and hard for the very best establishment and Bupa certainly stood out above all the rest and continue to do so.

How likely would you be to recommend Straven House Care Home? Extremely Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer services administrator at Straven House Care Home responded to this review on 07 Mar 2017:

My Mum has now been a permanent resident at Straven House since May 2015 and spent 3 months prior to that time there in respite. I simply cannot rate Straven House, it's manager and her team highly enough. The care, standards and professionalism are exceptional. Don't take my word for it, go visit...unannounced. When asked what she thought of Straven House, my Mum simply said, 'It's my home now, I love it and I love all the staff too'. 10/10 Thank you.

How likely would you be to recommend Straven House Care Home? Extremely Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer services administrator at Straven House Care Home responded to this review on 15 Feb 2017:

I have received excellent care during my weeks' respite. All the staff were excellent and treated me with respect. The home is a very pleasant place to stay and is in a very nice location. The food and all the facilities were excellent. All of the staff were always very pleasant and helpful.

How likely would you be to recommend Straven House Care Home? Extremely Likely

Emily Wilson, Customer Service Administrator at Straven House Care Home responded to this review on 25 Aug 2016:

I cannot put into words how important it is to find the right home for our wonderful, much loved mum, we spent months looking but boy did we do well. This Home has a care staff team like no other. Personable, loving, understanding, professional. Our wonderful mum had the pleasure of being in their company for 8 months when we unfortunately lost her to dementia illness and old age. I can't thank them enough for all their support to both my sister and I and our families.

It's like a 5 star hotel.

I wouldn't hesitate in recommending

How likely would you be to recommend Straven House Care Home? Extremely Likely

All the staff without exception have been friendlily, courteous, professional, organised - nothing being too much trouble for anybody. Although, fortunately I did not require any additional medical care, I felt confident that if I had done, all the necessary paperwork etc was in place. I would be more than happy and reassured if my wife, family and friends needed the post-operative care I needed, if they stayed at Straven House.

Submit a Review for Straven House Care Home

posted 08 May 2018

Please contact us for information regarding our bed availability

Recipient: HC-One

Recipient: HC-One

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Straven House Care Home