Magnolia House

42 Hull Road, Cottingham HU16 4PX

Magnolia House, in the leafy suburb of Cottingham, is a wonderful, residential home for the elderly offering exceptional respite and day care services.

A recent resident led refurbishment has given the home a top-to-toe makeover including stylish new d├ęcor throughout and en-suite 'wet-rooms' for every room.

With a home from home atmosphere and relaxing environment, additional new features include a new main lounge area with spectacular garden views. Residents enjoy tasty, nutritional food.

All carers are trained in personalisation methods, getting to know the needs of each individual resident.

A dedicated activities co-ordinator organises a variety of leisure pursuits, therapies, entertainments and outings to stimulate, inform and brighten the day for the residents and staff.

Group: Park Lane Healthcare

Person in charge: Lindsay Altoft (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: East Riding of Yorkshire Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home only (Residential Care) – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 96 Service Users

Registered Care Categories*: Dementia • Mental Health Condition • Old Age • Physical Disability • Sensory Impairment

Weekly Charges Guide: Personal Care Single £450 – £700 (These prices are only a guideline, please contact Magnolia House to find out the exact price for your requirements.)

Facilities & Services: Day Care • Respite Care • Sheltered Housing • Separate Dementia Care Unit • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Near Public Transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Magnolia House: click here

The Review Score of 9.3 (maximum of 10) for Magnolia House is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.7 out of 5 from 23 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Magnolia House in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 4.6 out of 5 from 12 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.713 for Magnolia House is calculated as follows: ( (213 Excellents x 5) + (45 Goods x 4) + (17 Satisfactorys x 3) ) ÷ 275 Ratings = 4.713

The 4.625 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Magnolia House is based on 12 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 19.2 positive Reviews (96 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 12 Reviews ÷ 19.2 Target = 0.625

9.3 Magnolia House has a Review Score of 9.3 (9.338) from 23 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Magnolia House?

Reviewer Connection to Magnolia House

The respite care my mum received during her stay was amazing. All the staff catered to her every need. She was treated with the utmost dignity and respect. The management and all the staff not only looked after my mum but the also looked after myself and my daughter. They could not have been any more accommodating and sympathetic. Which I for one was very grateful for. I would recommend Magnolia House to anyone. Thank you.

How likely would you be to recommend Magnolia House? Extremely Likely

During my mum's stay at Magnolia House both in respite and as a permanent resident the quality of care was never in question. The staff members were caring, compassionate and understanding, sometimes when they were under pressure and stress. They made my mother's final days as comfortable as possible, regularly communicating with us as we live more than 300miles away. The level of kindness and support during a tough time for us was exemplary.

How likely would you be to recommend Magnolia House? Extremely Likely

Both my parents have settled well, with a lot of reassurance from the staff.
The staff are always happy to discuss any situation with me.
Reception staff are always very pleasant when I phone up. There is a good atmosphere in the building both parents are clean and well fed. Mum said there is too much food! Not a bad thing. All their needs are met. I feel very confident I have been able to place them in a warm and safe environment.

How likely would you be to recommend Magnolia House? Extremely Likely

My mother was a resident at Magnolia House for 6 years. During this time, the care given to my mother was of a good standard.

The staff were always polite and helpful and, outside of the care they gave to my mother, they also supported me and my family which we are all really appreciative of. My mother had dementia and during the latter stages of her stay in Magnolia House. The staff demonstrated exceptional care and patience towards my mother. Except for one incident in 6 years, I have no complaints and personally pleased I chose Magnolia House for my mother's care.

How likely would you be to recommend Magnolia House? Extremely Likely

My father was transferred to Magnolia House after 4 weeks in the local hospital. From day one the care and attention he received was second to none. All the staff from the manageress to the carers were some of the nicest, obliging people I have had the pleasure to meet. Nothing was too much trouble for them for my father and the rest of the family.

The home is clean, bright and spacious and the atmosphere is very relaxed. I am more than pleased that my father spent his final days in such a calm, caring environment. I would not hesitate in recommending Magnolia House to any family needing a residential place.

How likely would you be to recommend Magnolia House? Extremely Likely

My father-in-law suffered from dementia and cancer. Although he was only a resident for a short period of time the staff and facilities were amazing. All the carers took time to speak to the residents and their families. Nothing was too much. The atmosphere and staff care made his final days happy and safe. They were all exceptional and extended their caring to the family also. I would highly recommend Magnolia House to anyone needing this sort of care.

How likely would you be to recommend Magnolia House? Extremely Likely

Magnolia House was phenomenal with my grandad. They provided him with the best care he needed and a comfortable place to live before he passed.

They had so much time and patience for him and we have so much respect for them. Because of that, we are so grateful for their service and highly recommend them for people looking for a safe place for anyone who needs it.

How likely would you be to recommend Magnolia House? Extremely Likely

Highly recommended to anyone to have their loved ones in Magnolia House we are truly grateful for everything that they did for our grandad. Thanks again x.

How likely would you be to recommend Magnolia House? Extremely Likely

I would recommend Magnolia House to anyone. The staff are so caring. My husband was in the home for 9 days and in that time he was very well looked after. Nothing was too much trouble for them ALL the staff were so caring. I could not fault them at all.

How likely would you be to recommend Magnolia House? Extremely Likely

I cannot emphasise enough how supportive and dignified the staff at Magnolia House are not only resident but also their families. My grandad resided at Magnolia House until he sadly passed away. Not one second passed by that the family was not immensely grateful for the care he received. Due to his dementia, my grandad could often be challenging to manage at times and would often swear. However, the staff managed this amazingly and ensured my grandad felt safe and respected at all times.

How likely would you be to recommend Magnolia House? Extremely Likely

In the short period of time my dad was in Magnolia House, the care given to him was excellent. Management and staff are so caring, not only to the residents but to the families also.
I would not hesitate in recommending the home to anyone else who is looking for care for their loved one. Clean, friendly and welcoming rooms. Everything about the home is of a high-quality standard.

How likely would you be to recommend Magnolia House? Extremely Likely

My father was admitted to Magnolia House on 26th September. He sadly passed away on 5th October. During his time at the home, the manager and staff were always there to help. The care he received was excellent. He was treated with respect and dignity at all times. We visited my father every day and sometimes there would be seven of us in his room. The staff were always welcoming and on many occasions offered us refreshments while we visited.
I can't recommend this home enough 100% dedication, compassion and loyalty to the elderly residents and their families.

How likely would you be to recommend Magnolia House? Extremely Likely

The staff are very caring and have good verbal/nonverbal skills. There are a range of activities organised throughout the week including trips to local art galleries and the Friday 'piano' man is popular. It is well-run, clean and provides a good range of meals to cater for all needs.

How likely would you be to recommend Magnolia House? Extremely Likely

On two events when visiting local areas, the ladies made sure that I was looked after. I have many problems, but they made sure I was attended to at all times. On the way back to Magnolia House, from a particular outing, I couldn't walk any further and they made me sit on my carrier until a wheelchair came, having made a call to base. I thought this was the best care that I had received in the past two years. I am 87 years old.

How likely would you be to recommend Magnolia House? Extremely Likely

A most enjoyable two weeks respite and enjoyed every minute and staff have been so kind and caring, has just been like a holiday and would not hesitate to come back again. Thank you to all concerned.

How likely would you be to recommend Magnolia House? Extremely Likely

The treatment my husband received was second to none. Myself was also welcomed at any time with a cup of tea and asked to stay for a meal along with my daughter on arrival. Many many thanks to the staff and manager.

How likely would you be to recommend Magnolia House? Extremely Likely

This is a very welcoming home where I feel my sister is very safe, well cared for and has her needs very well met by the carers as well as by the excellent range of activities on offer. It is also very good that she can have escorted visits out to enable her to remain active and retain a sense of independence. I have absolute confidence that she is in a secure and stimulating environment. I could not wish her in a better place.

How likely would you be to recommend Magnolia House? Extremely Likely

My mother moved into Magnolia House in February this year, when she moved in she was very frail after suffering numerous falls and a hip replacement that deemed her never to walk again. After she moved in the staff were very understanding and caring trying to get her to mix with other residents but she remains in her room as this is what she wants. I am pleased that over the past months my mother is eating well and looks healthier plus has gained weight from her 5 stone weigh in. Overall I am very pleased with the care given.

How likely would you be to recommend Magnolia House? Extremely Likely

My mum is very happy here and that is a reflection on the staff and me.

How likely would you be to recommend Magnolia House? Extremely Likely

I think it was Tuesday 29 September when I came to visit Mum. I arrived at tea time and was told she was in the large dining room so I went to join her while she ate her tea. She thoroughly enjoyed everything that was put in front of her as did the lady that was sitting with her at the same table. The tables were set nicely and the staff were making every effort to ensure everyone was eating and getting what they wanted.

I then took her back to her room where we had a bit of a chat and I did her hair for her before leaving.

Really, this email is just to let you know that I was so pleasantly surprised by the attitude and caring nature of all the staff that day. There seems to have been a real change in the atmosphere at Magnolia since you took over and I think that needs recognising. Every member of staff that saw mum spoke to her and knew her name and was kind and polite. It really was a pleasure to be there that day. Mum seems a lot happier and more settled too.

Things have definitely changed for the better at Magnolia and I just wanted to thank you and all your staff and well done to you!

How likely would you be to recommend Magnolia House? Extremely Likely

Staff always willing to listen to any concerns and act on them. Gardens a delight to walk around.

How likely would you be to recommend Magnolia House? Extremely Likely

There's nothing like your home, but Magnolia House had a very good feel on my first visit. Staff very friendly, made you feel very welcome. Mum has been their 4 months, has settled in very well. I think it has a very homely feel you can visit at any time throughout the day.
If you have any problems, management are always their to listen, problems are addressed as quickly as possible.
My son, daughter in law and myself have recommended Magnolia House too a couple of people, they were also happy on there first visit. There loved ones have also taken up residence in Magnolia.

How likely would you be to recommend Magnolia House? Extremely Likely

As a family we are very happy with the care my Grandmother in law receives. She herself settled very quickly all thanks to the staff support. Any concerns are addressed quickly and sympathetically and we also notice that the staff seem happy in their work which is nice.

Submit a Review for Magnolia House

posted 23 May 2018

Single and double en suite for elderly care and nursing care

There are currently no awards/recognitions posted yet for Magnolia House

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Magnolia House