Orchard Mews Care Home

Bentinck Road, Benwell, Newcastle upon Tyne NE4 6UX

Orchard Mews Care Home is located within a residential area of Benwell, Newcastle upon Tyne, purpose accommodation and provides residential, general nursing, residential dementia and nursing dementia care.

Residents at Orchard Mews have access to a selection of lounge areas, featuring comfortable and specialist furnishings, while the home has well-equipped bedrooms, some of which are located on the ground floor and open out onto the home's courtyard garden.

The home provides residents with a choice of home-cooked, freshly prepared nutritious meals and chefs are able to cater for special diets and cultural requirements.

HC-One, employ home managers and members of staff who put care and kindness at the centre of everything they do.

Person in charge: Malcolm Hanson (Home Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Newcastle upon Tyne City Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 39 Service Users

Registered Care Categories*: Dementia • Old Age • Sensory Impairment

Specialist Care Categories: Alzheimer's • Challenging Behaviour • Colitis & Crohn's Disease • Epilepsy • Hearing Impairment • Parkinson's Disease • Schizophrenia • Speech Impairment • Visual Impairment

Admission Information: Over 65. Ages 65+.

Facilities & Services: Respite Care • Separate Dementia Care Unit • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Bar/Cafe on premises • Residents Kitchenette • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Orchard Mews Care Home: click here

The Review Score of 9.7 (maximum of 10) for Orchard Mews Care Home is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.7 out of 5 from 22 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Orchard Mews Care Home in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 5 out of 5 from 15 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.748 for Orchard Mews Care Home is calculated as follows: ( (203 Excellents x 5) + (52 Goods x 4) + (7 Satisfactorys x 3) ) ÷ 262 Ratings = 4.748

The 5 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Orchard Mews Care Home is based on 15 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 7.8 positive Reviews (39 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 15 Reviews ÷ 7.8 Target Reached = 1

9.7 Orchard Mews Care Home has a Review Score of 9.7 (9.748) from 22 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Orchard Mews Care Home?

Reviewer Connection to Orchard Mews Care Home

• Grandson of Resident/Service User

I would like to stay here.

How likely would you be to recommend Orchard Mews Care Home? Extremely Likely

The level of care is excellent. My mum has been here since January 2018 and the staff are very attentive to the resident's needs.

How likely would you be to recommend Orchard Mews Care Home? Extremely Likely

Very pleasant atmosphere, all staff very friendly and caring.

How likely would you be to recommend Orchard Mews Care Home? Extremely Likely

I visited my mum today at tea time. I was greeted by friendly, cheerful staff. My mum was clean, tidy and comfortable. I was able to assist her with eating her soup and pudding which makes me feel a connection with her as she no longer knows or remembers me. I have missed quite a few weeks of visiting due to various health issues of my own but knowing that my mum and is being well cared for, with genuine compassion, was a great help and relief.

How likely would you be to recommend Orchard Mews Care Home? Extremely Likely

Superb care, lovely food with varied menus, prepared to customers' tastes and ability to eat without difficulty.

How likely would you be to recommend Orchard Mews Care Home? Extremely Likely

Excellent home. Standards, care, staff (perfect), rooms, facilities, food etc cannot be matched - I could not imagine anywhere to surpass this home. Thank you.

How likely would you be to recommend Orchard Mews Care Home? Extremely Likely

Over the years that my mam has been in this care home, I have found all of the nursing team and care staff to be professional, efficient and very caring.

Their efforts have given mam an enriched, happier quality of life whilst suffering from severe dementia.

My enormous thanks to them all!!!

How likely would you be to recommend Orchard Mews Care Home? Extremely Likely

My sister has only been a resident for 1 week but everyone has been very nice and helpful. My sister seems to have settled in OK and speaks highly of all the staff. We are hoping, in time to see her mix with other residents and be involved in activities etc.

How likely would you be to recommend Orchard Mews Care Home? Extremely Likely

Wife has Paranoid Schizophrenia which is different to most of the residents (who predominantly have Alzheimer's) and she finds it difficult to relate and talk to others so she tends to isolate herself. Although food seems to be acceptable, she often says it is "rubbish" which may be due to her mental and physical (lack of teeth) condition.

How likely would you be to recommend Orchard Mews Care Home? Likely

Clare Sheehan, Care Advisor at Orchard Mews Care Home responded to this review on 20 Dec 2017:

Thank you for your review.
We actively seek feedback from our residents regarding food quality and the menu choices available at Orchard Mews. As you will appreciate it is difficult to accommodate every individual resident choice, however, our chef records resident’s feedback following every meal to assist to determine popular choices and to enable changes to be made to the menu which includes softer foods and modified diets. The menus are nutritionally balanced and are refreshed with the four seasons of the year and the new winter menu is proving to be popular with our residents. We will continue to review the menus and discuss the food quality with our residents in meetings and during resident of the day reviews.

Since my mam has been a resident at Orchard Mews, I have had no issues or problems with the management or staff. They are all excellent and professional in the jobs that they perform and undertake.

How likely would you be to recommend Orchard Mews Care Home? Extremely Likely

Care is good, residents are well looked after and the home is clean and friendly. The staff are hardworking and attentive.

How likely would you be to recommend Orchard Mews Care Home? Extremely Likely

Care is good, residents are happy.

How likely would you be to recommend Orchard Mews Care Home? Extremely Likely

Upon entering Orchard, myself, my mum and 2 daughters were greeted with a very warm welcome. Staff immediately began to tell me about my Grandma and how she was before, showing us to her room. We were very impressed with the staff, my Grandma's bedroom and general ambience in the home. We were offered a cup of tea and were brought a lovely slice of cake.

How likely would you be to recommend Orchard Mews Care Home? Extremely Likely

I picked this place as it's the best. The staff are polite and friendly. People are good and friendly too.

How likely would you be to recommend Orchard Mews Care Home? Extremely Likely

My mum has been a resident for 4 years. Her care has been exceptional from the very first day. The staff are incredible, caring, loving, supportive and nothing is too much effort. They treat not only my mum with love and dignity, but every other resident is given the same attention.
As a family, we simply wouldn't change a thing. Knowing that my beautiful mum is safe and her every need is taken care of is everything that a daughter could ever want. Thank you.

How likely would you be to recommend Orchard Mews Care Home? Extremely Likely

My Mum has been so very well looked after since coming to this home in 2013. Every member of staff has been so kind, thoughtful and helpful. Nothing has ever been too much trouble for them. It has been a very good home for Mum.

How likely would you be to recommend Orchard Mews Care Home? Extremely Likely

From the moment our uncle moved into Orchard Mews he was well cared for, the staff reacted immediately if he seemed unwell, his appearance improved, he put weight on and was generally very happy in himself. The rooms and building are maintained really well which makes it a pleasure to visit. My uncle's room and bed were always clean and tidy. Staff constantly popped in to check and chat to him. Lovely food is prepared and a special cake made for his birthday. He passed away with dignity, well cared for and comfortable. We couldn't ask for more.

How likely would you be to recommend Orchard Mews Care Home? Extremely Likely

Staff are very friendly and helpful, they always phone if there are any problems with my mam.

How likely would you be to recommend Orchard Mews Care Home? Likely

The staff are lovely, always so kind, they are like my second family and ware like this with the residents and their families. When you go home, you feel more at peace knowing you have left your loved one in safe hands.
the families at Orchard Mews would be in a sorry state without them, they are all angels doing a very special job.
God bless every one of them.

How likely would you be to recommend Orchard Mews Care Home? Extremely Likely

I came to visit my gran and the residents were having a music day. The residents and my gran had great fun and the staff here are second to none.

How likely would you be to recommend Orchard Mews Care Home? Extremely Likely

I am very pleased with the home. My brother gets good treatment and he is happy here and always says its a lovely place. There is always something to do in activities but can't always take part. The manager is always approachable.

How likely would you be to recommend Orchard Mews Care Home? Extremely Likely

I wouldn't have come here if I wasn't happy. I am happy here. I like the food, I like my room I am in it all the time. I love to paint and I am painting today. The staff treat me nice here.

Submit a Review for Orchard Mews Care Home

posted 08 May 2018

Please contact us for information regarding our bed availability

Recipient: HC-One

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Orchard Mews Care Home