St Mary's Care Home, Luton, Bedfordshire

*****3 weeks for the price of 2 for stays booked by 28 February 2018 and started by 30 April 2018. Terms and conditions apply, call for details******

At St Mary’s a flexible team of professionals welcome both long and short-term care needs, experienced in residential, nursing and respite, tailoring round-the-clock provision solutions that include palliative and convalescence care.

Residents have the choice of four comfortable lounges, benefitting from a purpose-built interior that, together with the courtyard garden, is wheelchair accessible. Bedrooms have soft furnishings, 24-hour call systems and telephone points.

There is a strong focus on providing a satisfying diet, with the chef taking on board personal tastes and welcoming feedback in order to safeguard nutrition over the long term.

Games, outings and entertainments are all part of a varied activities programme, with the calendar including coffee mornings, beauty therapy, musical performances and a themed event each month.

Person in charge: Indra Harrynamsingh (General Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Luton Borough Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 60 Service Users

Specialist Care Categories: Parkinson's Disease

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Smoking not permitted • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Residents Kitchenette • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on St Mary's Care Home: click here

posted 20 Feb 2018

2 spacious en-suite rooms available offering nursing care.We also offer pre bookable respite care, please get in touch for more information.

9.6 St Mary's Care Home has a Review Score of 9.6 (9.619)

The Review Score of 9.6 (maximum of 10) for St Mary's Care Home is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.6 out of 5 from 33 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for St Mary's Care Home in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 5 out of 5 from 16 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.619 for St Mary's Care Home is calculated as follows: ( (270 Excellents x 5) + (92 Goods x 4) + (19 Satisfactorys x 3) + (3 Poors x 2) + (2 Very Poors x 1) ) ÷ 386 Ratings = 4.619

The 5 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for St Mary's Care Home is based on 16 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 12 positive Reviews (60 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 16 Reviews ÷ 12 Target Reached = 1

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend St Mary's Care Home?

Reviewer Connection to St Mary's Care Home

• Nephew of Resident/Service User

My aunt was a client at St Mary's Care Home from October 2017 until January 2018 where she passed away sadly. Although my aunt needed full nursing care she was nursed in bed, her care was excellent, she was treated with dignity and made comfortable at all times. She loved her room and surroundings. Also after my aunt passed away the help and support we received as a family was excellent.

How likely would you be to recommend St Mary's Care Home? Extremely Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer services administrator at St Mary's Care Home responded to this review on 29 Jan 2018:

So sorry to hear of your loss, please accept our condolences. Thank you for your review and kind words. It is so nice to hear that your aunt loved her room and that she was well cared for.

My mother went into St Mary's Care Home Easter Monday 2017. In the six months she was in the home she received excellent nursing care, the staff were very professional and friendly. The staff were very supportive to me during my mother's last week prior to her death. I couldn't be more impressed with the care and dignity given to my mother.

How likely would you be to recommend St Mary's Care Home? Extremely Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer Services Administrator at St Mary's Care Home responded to this review on 22 Jan 2018:

So sorry to hear of your loss, please accept our condolences. Thank you for your review and kind words about our staff. It is so nice to hear that both your mum and yourself were well cared for.

Excellent care and consideration, all staff are first class in their care and attitude towards me. The choice of meals is very good and all served with a smile standard of room maintenance is very good. I would be very happy to recommend this care home to anybody in a similar situation to me.

How likely would you be to recommend St Mary's Care Home? Extremely Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer services administrator at St Mary's Care Home responded to this review on 12 Jan 2018:

Thank you for your review. I'm so glad to hear that you are well cared for in our care. It is the little things like a smile that makes all the difference.

When we had to make the heart-wrenching decision that we were not able to cope with looking after our dear mum anymore, we felt we had in some way let her down. We had been by her side throughout her terrible illness and just didn't want anyone else to do it for us.
Would you be there when she called for help? Would you hold her hand when she needed company? Would you make sure she wasn't feeling pain? How could anyone else possibly do all those things the way we would want them done.

From the very first phone call, the first meeting, a great cloud was lifted from over our heads. It sounded like we had found the perfect place for mum to end her days.

Mum was so impressed with the food, which sadly was only to be enjoyed for a couple of days. You took on our mum and from the very start you cared for her, cleaned her, looked after her every need, always made us feel so welcome and we knew that mum had the best of care that we could possibly have wished for. You gave her her dignity right to the very end and you gave us solace needed to be there at her passing and the time needed until we were ready to say our goodbyes and leave her to your professionalism after her passing.

We cannot express enough in words, our deepest gratitude for your compassion, your hard work and the absolute tremendous care you hare our dear mum in life and tight to the very end.

We thank you from the bottom of our hearts.

How likely would you be to recommend St Mary's Care Home? Extremely Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer Services Administrator at St Mary's Care Home responded to this review on 05 Jan 2018:

I am so sorry to hear of your loss, please accept our condolences. Thank you for your review and such kind words about our staff. It is the little things like holding a hand or just a smile that makes all the difference. I hope that in time when you look back on the short time that your mum spent with us it gives you peace of mind knowing that she was well cared for and as hard as the decision was, you made the right decision.

My sister-in-law was transferred to St Mary's Care Home from hosptial after suffering a stroke, unfortunately, her stay was short as she dies within two and a half weeks stay.
The care that she was given was exemplary. Every staff members that we encountered was considerate, caring and treated with dignity.
As a family, we were all pleased that she had her last days in such a beautiful environment.

How likely would you be to recommend St Mary's Care Home? Extremely Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer Services Administrator at St Mary's Care Home responded to this review on 02 Jan 2018:

I am so sorry to hear of your loss, please accept our condolences. Thank you for your review and kind words about our staff. I hope that in time you have peace of mind knowing that she was well cared for.

I had a total knee replacement and I wanted to go somewhere to help me convalesce. St Mary's was wonderful and looked after me with the greatest of care. All the staff were so friendly and caring and did everything they could to help me. The food was excellent and I could ask for anything at any time. It was lovely that I could take part in activities and meet other residents. I would certainly recommend St Mary's and I would like to say a big 'thank you'.

How likely would you be to recommend St Mary's Care Home? Extremely Likely

Thank you for your review. I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope that you are back in good health after your knee replacement.

Very clean and very well proportioned rooms. The only thing I feel is beyond my comprehension is why the night bell or day bell is not working, but not much to add but the day room in which I visited my relative seemed very cramped. I can't really comment on the food because the resident is nil by mouth but her appearance seems quite good.

Cleanliness: Very Poor

Management: Very Poor

Jayne Duck, Customer services administrator at St Mary's Care Home responded to this review on 28 Nov 2017:

My aunt has spent the last year here and has had so much care from all the staff. I would recommend this care home to everyone.

How likely would you be to recommend St Mary's Care Home? Extremely Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer services administrator at St Mary's Care Home responded to this review on 15 Nov 2017:

Staff were always pleasant and would give good care to my ex-husband, who sadly passed away whilst residing at St Mary's. He was treated with much dignity at all times.

How likely would you be to recommend St Mary's Care Home? Extremely Likely

Emily Wilson, Customer Service Administrator at St Mary's Care Home responded to this review on 01 Nov 2017:

Thank you for your lovely review, we appreciate your feedback. We are pleased to hear about your positive experience and appreciate your comments about our home and will share your comments with the home’s manager. The Bupa Customer Care Team

My father was at St Mary's Care Home for 3 months for end of life care, having previously lived at another care home for about 4 years. St Mary's management and staff are professional, caring, genuine, experienced, compassionate and very open. My Dad received high-quality care, we were made to feel welcome and the communication was very good. I felt confident that my Dad was being looked after when I wasn't there. I'm pleased my Dad's final 3 months were spent in such a warm and kind environment, it means a lot to me and the rest of the family.

Activities: Don't Know

Jayne Duck, Customer services administrator at St Mary's Care Home responded to this review on 13 Sep 2017:

So sorry to hear of your loss. Please accept our condolences. Thank you for your review and kind words about our staff. It is lovely to hear that in the last months of your dad's life you and your family had peace of mind knowing that he was well care for.

Our mother was resident at St Mary's Care Home from 10th April to 6th June 2017. We have only praise for all the staff who work as a team to ensure 'the home from home' meets all the residents' needs. The food is of excellent quality and the home is kept spotlessly clean. Interaction with the residents ensures their mental stimulation (where possible) is fully engaged. Our mum loved playing bingo and dominos - games she would never have entertained at home.

How likely would you be to recommend St Mary's Care Home? Extremely Likely

Natalie Krisman, Customer Care Team at St Mary's Care Home responded to this review on 01 Aug 2017:

Thank you for your review about our homes. We are pleased to hear about your mother's positive experience with us and we will pass your comments on to the home's manager - Bupa Customer Care Team.

My dad was transferred to St Mary's Care Home from the hospital to receive palliative end of life care.
Dad's stay was short but the care he was given was exemplary. It was a very difficult time for our family but every member of staff that we encountered was considerate, respectful and caring.
They didn't just care for our dad, but also for us as a family, which made a very sad time more bearable and for that, I am truly grateful.

How likely would you be to recommend St Mary's Care Home? Extremely Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer Services Administrator at St Mary's Care Home responded to this review on 11 May 2017:

So Sorry to hear of your loss please accept our condolences. Thank you for your review. Although this was a sad time for you, I'm glad that this was made more bearable for you because of how your dad and your family were treated by the staff at the home. The Bupa Customer Care Team.

Excellent all round. Can not praise the dedicated and genuinely caring staff enough. They carried out their (sometimes difficult) duties with care, efficiency and good humour. Nothing it seems was too much trouble. The overall standard was faultless, especially a lovely lady who organised social events, games etc... and charming details.
Well done St Mary's

How likely would you be to recommend St Mary's Care Home? Extremely Likely

Jamie, National Development Manager at St Mary's Care Home responded to this review on 24 Mar 2017:

It was a very warm welcome to my husband when he had been transferred from the hospital to have palliative care at St Mary's Care Home in Luton. It was a short stay as he died 12 days later. It was a very warm, caring and friendly atmosphere and lots of love that all the staff had given to him, these kindnesses will surely be remembered. On behalf of my husband, I was impressed and would like to thank you at such a precious time.

How likely would you be to recommend St Mary's Care Home? Likely

Emily Wilson, Customer Service Administrator at St Mary's Care Home responded to this review on 17 Mar 2017:

Thank you so much for your review, we appreciate your feedback. I am so pleased that your husband received lots of care, love and support during his stay. Condolences to you and your family during this time. I will share your comments with the home’s manager. The Bupa Customer Care Team.

Excellent, caring staff. Very homely environment. Relatives and friends were welcome at any time. My mother was very comfortable and well cared for in her final days.

How likely would you be to recommend St Mary's Care Home? Extremely Likely

Thank you for sharing such a kind review with us, we really appreciate it. I am so pleased to hear that your Mother received the high-quality care she required at this home. It is our duty to make our residents feel at home, so knowing the environment reflected that is very nice to hear. I will pass on your kind words to the home manager. Thank you again for your feedback, best wishes, The Bupa Customer Care Team.

1) Not very happy with the service provided by the doctor's surgery allocated.
2) Understaffed as they seemed under pressure.
3) Constant problems with lost laundry, not always resolved.
4) Whilst the staff and care provided was excellent, the décor was tired and outdated.
5) Bedtime very early in evenings (16:30?).
6) Visitors and family always made welcome and offered support when necessary.

How likely would you be to recommend St Mary's Care Home? Likely

Emily Wilson, Customer Service Administrator at St Mary's Care Home responded to this review on 15 Mar 2017:

My Brother has been a resident at St Mary's for the past 18 months, following his discharge from the hospital. The staff are always friendly, welcoming and professional at all times. I would have no hesitation in recommending this friendly care home.

How likely would you be to recommend St Mary's Care Home? Extremely Likely

Emily Wilson, Customer Service Administrator at St Mary's Care Home responded to this review on 19 Dec 2016:

St Mary's Care Home is like a family. Although we were only there for 5 days, they made our Dad and family extremely welcome. Cups of tea and food were offered at an extremely difficult end-of-life care. All staff were supportive and always had time to answer questions and offer support. My Dad was very ill and they helped make it a peaceful, pain-free and special time in his last few days. I couldn't have imagined a more appropriate/serene way to go!

How likely would you be to recommend St Mary's Care Home? Extremely Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer services administrator at St Mary's Care Home responded to this review on 02 Dec 2016:

Thank you for your review, we appreciate your feedback. We are so sorry to hear about the loss of you Dad. We will share your kind words with the home’s manager. The Bupa Customer Care Team.

My mum received palliative care at St Mary's Care Home from April to September 2016. All the staff were so caring, nothing was too much trouble. Spotlessly clean, food superb, a room with French doors which opened onto a beautiful courtyard. Perfect. We have encountered many care homes in Luton and St Mary's Care Home is definitely the best!

How likely would you be to recommend St Mary's Care Home? Extremely Likely

Rose Pickering, Customer Service Administrator at St Mary's Care Home responded to this review on 25 Nov 2016:

My mother entered St Mary's Care Home in late June 16 with c.h.c funding from the hospital. She was totally dependent on the carers and staff. My family were most impressed with the care my mother was given and the warm and friendly atmosphere of the home which was extended to my family as well. We found the accommodation and surrounding most pleasant.

How likely would you be to recommend St Mary's Care Home? Extremely Likely

Rose Pickering, Customer Service Administrator at St Mary's Care Home responded to this review on 09 Nov 2016:

My Uncle went to St Mary's for palliative care. He was treated with absolute respect and dignity. Everyone we met was friendly and caring and the home itself was bright, fresh and airy. The overall feeling was one of caring and brightness. Wonderful place and wonderful staff - thank you to all.

How likely would you be to recommend St Mary's Care Home? Extremely Likely

Rachel Elliott, Customer Service Administrator at St Mary's Care Home responded to this review on 26 Oct 2016:

My brother was a resident at St Mary's Care Home for almost six months. He enjoyed the caring and friendly nature of the medical and other staff. When he was able he went along to the musical events (2pm-3pm) and joined in the singing and sometimes also dancing. The facilities enabled him to sometimes sit in the garden and enjoy the sunshine. When my brother was stronger he was able and encouraged to go out to lunch of external clubs with his family and friends. We thank you.

How likely would you be to recommend St Mary's Care Home? Extremely Likely

Rose Pickering, Customer Service Administrator at St Mary's Care Home responded to this review on 24 Oct 2016:

My father was at St Mary's Care Home for three weeks having been fast-tracked from the hospital. The care he received while there was to a very high standard and the staff were very good to him in his last hours. I have already recommended to other people St Mary's Care Home.

How likely would you be to recommend St Mary's Care Home? Extremely Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer Services Administrator at St Mary's Care Home responded to this review on 03 Oct 2016:

Without exception, every member of the staff at St Mary's Care Home was fabulous all very helpful and caring and utterly compassionate.
There were, are many staff and management that went above and beyond their daily commitments to ensure my mum and I were comfortable, informed and treated with respect for this I am humbled and grateful.

How likely would you be to recommend St Mary's Care Home? Extremely Likely

Emily Wilson, Customer Service Administrator at St Mary's Care Home responded to this review on 25 Aug 2016:

Thank you for your review. We are pleased to hear about your positive experience and appreciate your comments about our home and will share your comments with the home’s manager. The Bupa Customer Care Team

Staff always very friendly and helpful. Dedicated to residents. Excellent team.

How likely would you be to recommend St Mary's Care Home? Extremely Likely

Rose Pickering, Customer Service Administrator at St Mary's Care Home responded to this review on 26 Jul 2016:

Thank you for your review, we appreciate your feedback. We are pleased to hear about your positive experience and appreciate your comments of our home and will share your comments with the home’s manager. The Bupa Customer Care Team.

Over the past nine years of my mothers stay at St Mary's, overall the care has been good, but we had to raise some issues about her care on occasions. Mum passed away earlier this month and it has to be said, the care she and the family received was wonderful. In the last week of her life nothing was too much trouble and mum was made comfortable and we're sure she felt loved by all who cared for her.

How likely would you be to recommend St Mary's Care Home? Neither Unlikely or Likely

Cleanliness: Poor

Food & Drink: Poor

Safety / Security: Poor

Rachel Elliott, Customer Service Administrator at St Mary's Care Home responded to this review on 19 Jul 2016:

Thank you for your review. We are pleased to hear about your positive experience and appreciate your comments of our home and will share your comments with the home’s manager. Also please accept our condolences . The Bupa Customer Care Team.

The establishment is clean and well maintained. The staff are friendly and accommodating. Nothing is too much trouble. Staffing ratio is good. All staff are well informed. As a family we all felt accepted into their "family", my mother has been treated with respect and dignity at all times. The meals are appetizing and look great. I have not come across a single staff member that doesn't have the time of day for us all, and will always chat to us and tell us what they have done with mum during the day.

How likely would you be to recommend St Mary's Care Home? Extremely Likely

I cannot express that the service at St Mary's Care Home is so superb I don't think I could ask for more. The carers are great and will do anything to please, food is nourishing and variety great, I cannot praise it enough.

How likely would you be to recommend St Mary's Care Home? Extremely Likely

Was asked to arrange 95th Birthday party for my Mum and to make it special as Mum thinks every birthday is her last. Layout in the upstairs dining room was great with a magnificent spread of mouth watering varieties of food, plated and garnished to professional standards. The kitchen staff, activities staff and helpers excelled themselves in every way and were their usual pleasant selves and very helpful.

How likely would you be to recommend St Mary's Care Home? Extremely Likely

My mum has been in St Mary's for almost 3 years and has always been treated with compassion and respect. The staff at St Mary's are friendly and welcoming, you are always greeted on first name terms by the carers, nurses and office staff and always with a smile.
My dad visits most days and is encouraged to join in with the daily activities which he enjoys, he also has become a part of the St Mary's family and is treated with care and consideration. As a family it makes us all feel re-assured that our mum is receiving the best care and support she needs. A very big thank you.

How likely would you be to recommend St Mary's Care Home? Extremely Likely

The home is very clean. The staff are always friendly and helpful. The care always seems good and you are treated with dignity. Hope they keep on with the good work.

How likely would you be to recommend St Mary's Care Home? Extremely Likely

Excellent help and advice from the manager made it run smoothly and quickly and took the stress away. My relative feels happy here. Lovely food and staff, he feels welcome and at home. The room was beautifully decorated for his arrival. Great all round.

How likely would you be to recommend St Mary's Care Home? Extremely Likely

My brother has spent eight years at St Mary's nursing home, and he has seen many changes, staff come and go but, the level of care has never changed. The staff are always caring and respectful to families as well as the residents. I must just say that the office staff who have been there for years are wonderful and the present manageress has bent over backwards for my brother and I can say with all honesty that I am going to miss all the staff right down to the cleaners now that my brother has passed.

Submit a Review for St Mary's Care Home

Recipient: Bupa Care Homes

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at St Mary's Care Home