Ashbrook Court Care Home

Sewardstone Road, Chingford, London E4 7RG

Ashbrook Court care home located in Waltham Abbey, near Chingford, is a scenic and peaceful location felt to be ideal for a relaxing retirement and the practice of skilled care.

This purpose-built facility welcomes older people with physical frailties and staff are also qualified to care for people with dementia and a range of other nursing needs.

Ashbrook Court follows the policies of owners Carebase in maintaining strong community links in order to support an independent and flexible lifestyle amongst service users.

Group: Carebase Ltd

Person in charge: Torie Pollard (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Essex County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 70 Service Users

Specialist Care Categories: Alzheimer's • Bipolar/Manic Depression • Challenging Behaviour • Down Syndrome • Epilepsy • Parkinson's Disease • Speech Impairment • Stroke

Languages Spoken by Staff (other than English): Polish

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Smoking not permitted • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Ashbrook Court Care Home: click here

The Review Score of 9.5 (maximum of 10) for Ashbrook Court Care Home is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.5 out of 5 from 33 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Ashbrook Court Care Home in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 5 out of 5 from 19 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.487 for Ashbrook Court Care Home is calculated as follows: ( (231 Excellents x 5) + (130 Goods x 4) + (17 Satisfactorys x 3) + (5 Poors x 2) + (5 Very Poors x 1) ) ÷ 388 Ratings = 4.487

The 5 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Ashbrook Court Care Home is based on 19 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 14 positive Reviews (70 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 19 Reviews ÷ 14 Target Reached = 1

9.5 Ashbrook Court Care Home has a Review Score of 9.5 (9.487) from 33 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Ashbrook Court Care Home?

Reviewer Connection to Ashbrook Court Care Home

My father has recently moved to Ashbrook Court. All the staff we have met have been very approachable and readily available. They have always dealt with my father is a sensitive and caring manner. The home is generally a cheerful place although at times has been a little unsettled by unpredictable behaviour from other residents, however, staff have been observed managing this appropriately.

How likely would you be to recommend Ashbrook Court Care Home? Likely

Lovely clean home. My mum is very happy. Staff are great. Food very good. Care very kind and friendly.

How likely would you be to recommend Ashbrook Court Care Home? Extremely Likely

Very friendly. Very clean. Good food. Pleasant environment.

How likely would you be to recommend Ashbrook Court Care Home? Extremely Likely

Ashbrook Court cared for my mother whilst she was in the most difficult and challenging part of advanced Alzheimer's Disease until she died. They did this with compassion, care and great professionalism.

How likely would you be to recommend Ashbrook Court Care Home? Extremely Likely

My mother was suffering from dementia and I found all the staff to be patient, kind and understanding.

How likely would you be to recommend Ashbrook Court Care Home? Extremely Likely

Everyone was really friendly and helpful, and mum was extremely well cared for. I will be recommending this home to anyone looking for respite and will definitely be using it again in the future. Thank you to all the staff.

How likely would you be to recommend Ashbrook Court Care Home? Extremely Likely

My mum was referred to Ashbrook Court Care Home for nursing care. I was impressed with the room, its cleanliness and the standard of care provided by Ashbrook. As I visited my mum quite a bit in her short time there I could see the care and attention she received was of a high standard, with the staff showing real compassion and professionalism. This was such a weight and off my mind, as my mum was very ill and sadly passed away - but the team at Ashbrook worked to make sure she was comfortable at all times and ensured her dignity in her final days.

I would like to thank the team who provided my mum and me with incredible support at this difficult time.

How likely would you be to recommend Ashbrook Court Care Home? Extremely Likely

My mum moved into Ashbrook Court Care Home in October 2017. She was extremely agitated and unhappy. She is now settled and jolly.
This must be because the staff have worked extremely hard to ensure this happens. I am confident that if I am concerned about anything the management will sort it quickly.

How likely would you be to recommend Ashbrook Court Care Home? Likely

Mum had 2 lots of respite in this home while I was on holiday and each time she came out she said: "I think I could live here". Mum had had numerous falls and was not taking care of herself whilst in her flat and has now been in Ashbrook Court for just over a month. She praises the food and the staff to me regularly. One of the main differences which I have noticed is that mums mobility has significantly improved and have even seen her on a couple of occasions walking quite ably without using her stick which she would never have done before. She enjoys the exercise activities in the home and walks a lot more which I put down to her increased mobility. Manager and all other staff are very approachable and actually listen to you if you have any questions or queries. I have been there numerous times when it is meal times and I must agree with mum, the quality of food is lovely. Mum enjoys the company as well as the activities and is brighter in herself both physically and mentally!

How likely would you be to recommend Ashbrook Court Care Home? Extremely Likely

Was good until the new manager came along. Clothes going missing super regular at times my dad had no briefs on, dirty stained brief left in the bedside drawer, dirty clothes left on the floor. I spoke to the manager who totally disregarded my concerns, sarcastic remarks and tried to hang up the phone on me. I can't keep buying clothes she replied, social does not me. Rude and nothing to do with his clothes going missing. And my dad pays for his own clothes I buy them, went care home same day to take briefs the manager saw me on entrance gave me a dirty look. Other family members were also making complaints went up to see my dad. I was speaking to another member of staff about my concern the manager appears and calls the staff member away from me. Staff try but the manager doesn't support them. Weekly trips but only 2 in 1 yr. Bad bad management worst I've seen. The staff say they are sick of how things are some say they're leaving some say they need support from families to challenge management I'm now trying to get my dad moved.

How likely would you be to recommend Ashbrook Court Care Home? Extremely Unlikely

Anna Marrah, Business Manager at Ashbrook Court Care Home responded to this review on 30 Jan 2018:

We value your opinion and listen to all feedback about our home and the service we provide. At Ashbrook, we are committed to providing high-quality care that meets the needs of all residents. As you are aware we have been working with you and the CCG to resolve the points you have raised. If you wish to speak to me further at any time, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Regards.

I always find the home immaculately clean and the staff are always helpful and pleasant, even though my sister can be very difficult. It is hard for us to comment on the food as she complains about it all the time. One of her complaints is the shouting coming from another room.

How likely would you be to recommend Ashbrook Court Care Home? Extremely Likely

Staff generally friendly, positive, caring, some especially so. The home is welcoming. Food is pretty good. Nursing/medication admin fairly good but needs tightening. Clothes get permanently lost despite sewing name tapes. Independence is encouraged but some supervision (subtle) would not go amiss - nails left to long recently. Staff need training on how to change pads hygienically. Overall good.

How likely would you be to recommend Ashbrook Court Care Home? Likely

I found Ashbrook Court very very good. The carers were very attentive to my wife's needs. It was difficult when she first went there but they coped very well with this and she is getting on fine.

How likely would you be to recommend Ashbrook Court Care Home? Extremely Likely

My father has lived at Ashbrook Court for over 2 years. The staff have been caring, kind, supportive and hardworking at all times. I know my father is in very safe hands and is very well looked after. My family and I appreciate everything they do for him. I would certainly recommend Ashbrook Court to family and friends.

Recently there have been many changes in staff and at the time of writing, the only disappointing aspect of his overall care is the lack of social and mental stimulation offered. Hopefully, this will improve very soon as I'm sure the management are aware of this important gap and will rectify.

How likely would you be to recommend Ashbrook Court Care Home? Extremely Likely

My father spent his last few weeks at Ashbrook Court.

I cannot speak highly enough of the care and kindness he and we as his family received.

The support in his last 24 hours was exceptional. Thank you.

How likely would you be to recommend Ashbrook Court Care Home? Extremely Likely

My relative has been a resident for 4years. They have been in different areas of the home an recently was suggested they move to a floor with more nursing care. We were very happy for this to happen as the staff are anticipating his condition worsening. He is cared for well. He is end stage Alzheimers and his needs are met. If at any time I have any concerns they are soon dealt with after speaking with management, the issue will be promptly dealt with and contact made back to us by the home. A doctor will be called if they or we are worried. The food is good and he is fed, not in a hurried way as long as it takes. The recent improvement to the home is a big plus, making it brighter and homely. The home is always clean and any accidents dealt with quickly. Family and friends are welcome to visit at any time of the day or evening.

How likely would you be to recommend Ashbrook Court Care Home? Extremely Likely

From the time of our first visit to Ashbrook Court, the management and staff have made every effort to make my mother and the family feel welcome and reassured. Whenever we visit, the staff always seem to recognise us and say hello and their interactions with my mother always appear to have a relaxed and familiar nature which seems to create a more comfortable relationship, rather than a resident/nurse relationship. Myself and my family always leave there comfortable in the knowledge that mum is being looked after with care and love, and we're very thankful.

How likely would you be to recommend Ashbrook Court Care Home? Extremely Likely

Staff very attentive when they have time available, more carers are needed on shifts, less agency staff as more rapport needed between carer and resident.

How likely would you be to recommend Ashbrook Court Care Home? Likely

My mother has been at Ashbrook Court Care Home for 4 months following a spell in the hospital. During this period, my sister and I have been very impressed with the standard of care provided by the staff at the home and my mother has settled in very well and enjoys her new home. The management team have also been very helpful and assisted with an application for attendance allowance which was successful.

How likely would you be to recommend Ashbrook Court Care Home? Extremely Likely

After an initial awful experience elsewhere at another care home with Dad, we were so relieved and delighted with the overall care and experience our father received at Ashbrook. He deserved the best and received it every day, the staff are truly wonderful and very caring!!
Thank you all for your care and consideration shown to Dad. The nurses and carers are wonderful, they managed to get a smile out of Dad frequently, even in his last and darkest days. His dignity was maintained at all times and it always felt like they gave 100%, if/when I ever need to go into a care home in my later years I would insist on Ashbrook - that's the biggest compliment I could possibly afford them.
Thank you to everybody who contributed to dad's care, you are all truly stars !!

How likely would you be to recommend Ashbrook Court Care Home? Extremely Likely

I am so pleased with the care home. After three years in Ashbrook Court, my sister seems so happy and is very well cared for. The staff are all so welcoming and caring.

How likely would you be to recommend Ashbrook Court Care Home? Extremely Likely

Ashbrook Court is an excellent care home. The staff couldn't be more caring. They look after my mother with compassion and love. The entertainment is varied and age related to the residents. There was a BBQ on Sunday based on a Victorian beach party. I am sure all residents who could leave their beds enjoyed it.

How likely would you be to recommend Ashbrook Court Care Home? Extremely Likely

My mother in law enjoyed her stay at Ashbrook Court care home. We told her it was a holiday as she has Alzheimers. The staff took them all out to Mount Fitchett Castle gave them a cream tea on another day and many other entertainments. A clean and happy place to stay, the staff loved my mother in law too. We asked if she enjoyed her holiday and she said it was lovely, she liked it very much. The staff all kissed here when she left.

How likely would you be to recommend Ashbrook Court Care Home? Extremely Likely

My sister was increasingly weak and unable to care for herself and very despondent at having to be in a care home. She was no longer pro-active or interested in caring for herself and was not interested in eating most of the time she was in Ashbrook Court. In spite of all this I think she was given a good standard of nursing, and staff were kind and patient with her. She refused all suggestions of taking part in activities. She was incontinent but kept clean and dry. She developed a small pressure sore which healed very quickly and it had been reported and treatment started.

How likely would you be to recommend Ashbrook Court Care Home? Likely

All the carers, nurses and management are so pleasant and helpful. Nothing is too much trouble for them. They treat my father with dignity and respect. Dad had a few accidents draining his catheter bag on to the carpet so the cleaning staff deep steamed the carpet so it was like new again. The choice of food is good as is the standard, and the kitchen will make anything you request within reason. There are always plenty of staff on duty.

How likely would you be to recommend Ashbrook Court Care Home? Extremely Likely

I am satisfied with the care husband received at Ashwood and consider it a good quality care home.

How likely would you be to recommend Ashbrook Court Care Home? Extremely Likely

The only thing I can say is, this is my first experience of a care home, and if I ever have to stay in care, please let it be at Ashbrook Court Nursing home, with all it's lovely staff who really care.

How likely would you be to recommend Ashbrook Court Care Home? Extremely Likely

My husband is well looked after. The staff are helpful and work hard.

How likely would you be to recommend Ashbrook Court Care Home? Extremely Likely

After a difficult start as the home failed it's CQC test. I can only say that the new manager has made the home a real home for residents. The staff are caring and treat the residents with dignity and respect. The quality of a care home is not decided by the building or resources. It is decided and determined by the quality of care that is provided. I know mum felt at home there as did the family and we cannot thank Ashbrook Court enough for the love and support shown to all of us during a very difficult time in all our lives.

How likely would you be to recommend Ashbrook Court Care Home? Extremely Likely

My mother-in-law has been in Ashbrook Court for about seven years. Me and my husband have always been very happy with the care she receives. The staff are always attentive, caring and friendly. The home is always spotlessly clean and her room is the same. She always looks clean and tidy, her hair is cut regularly and her needs are met constantly. We would have no hesitation in recommending Ashbrook Court as a suitable care home.

How likely would you be to recommend Ashbrook Court Care Home? Extremely Likely

On the day of my sister's birthday, it was really special. Thanks to those who decorated the library so beautifully. Also all carers who brought in a beautiful birthday cake and bottle pop to celebrate her day. It touched me so much and I got very emotional. So a big thank you to all.

How likely would you be to recommend Ashbrook Court Care Home? Extremely Likely

Louise Baxter, Manager at Ashbrook Court Care Home responded to this review on 16 Nov 2015:

I think there may have been an error in the staff section where it was deemed poor, this doesn't seem to fit with the compliment and the staff were praised for their actions.

Staff have been great towards my father and have been very supportive. The whole team have settled dad in and he now has many more good days than bad, i have every confidence in all the staff I have met so far, because of the care shown I know dad is now safe and I am now waiting for the next disaster and feeling a lot less stressed about life.

How likely would you be to recommend Ashbrook Court Care Home? Likely

My father-in-law has been in Ashbrook Court for nearly four months now and has received a very good level of care. The atmosphere in the home is relaxed, caring and very positive. He is allowed privacy while at the same time being monitored and supported. The staff appear to be happy and well motivated and are always very helpful and responsive when points are put to them. I would certainly recommend this facility to others looking for a caring environment for their relatives

Submit a Review for Ashbrook Court Care Home

April 2012

Torie

Torie Pollard

Joined: 2017

Torie qualified as a registered nurse in 1994, and has since worked in both the national and private sectors of healthcare. Having worked in nursing and care homes for the last 10 years within the private sector, she has developed a keen interest in dementia care, and undertook certification in dementia mapping at Bradford University and a Level 5 Diploma in Leadership and Management. Prior to her role of Manager at Ashbrook Court, she was registered manager for a large care home group in Kent, caring for people with nursing needs and those living with dementia.

Jade

Jade Shaw

Job Title: Deputy Manager

Jade has been with Carebase for 11 years. Jade started her career as a Kitchen Assistant at Honey Lane Care Home and is now Deputy Manager at Ashbrook Court.

Jade enjoys working at Ashbrook as it gives her a great sense of achievement to work in such a rewarding profession.

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Ashbrook Court Care Home