Manor Lodge

Manor Road, Chelmsford CM2 0EP

Manor Lodge, a Chelmsford care home owned by Care UK, provides effective nursing, residential and dementia care accommodation, with the aim of achieving luxurious lifestyles amongst service users.

Services available for residents include reflexology and aromatherapy, with a cinema, cafe, hairdressing salon and library allowing for a wide range of personal choice.

This modern and purpose-built home has the physical fitness and mental well-being of occupants always in mind, maintaining a popular activities programme and arranged many trips to local scenic and tourist attractions.

Group: Care UK Nursing & Residential Care Services

Person in charge: Julianna Miles (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Essex County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 120 Service Users

Registered Care Categories*: Dementia • Old Age • Physical Disability • Sensory Impairment • Younger Adults

Specialist Care Categories: Alzheimer's • Cancer Care • Cerebral Palsy • Head/Brain Injury • Hearing Impairment • Huntington's Disease • Muscular Dystrophy • Parkinson's Disease • Speech Impairment • Stroke • Visual Impairment

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Own Furniture if required • Smoking not permitted • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Ground Floor Accommodation only • Gardens for residents • Bar/Cafe on premises • Residents Kitchenette • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Manor Lodge: click here

The Review Score of 9.3 (maximum of 10) for Manor Lodge is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.5 out of 5 from 26 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Manor Lodge in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 4.8 out of 5 from 20 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.476 for Manor Lodge is calculated as follows: ( (176 Excellents x 5) + (108 Goods x 4) + (17 Satisfactorys x 3) + (5 Poors x 2) + (1 Very Poors x 1) ) ÷ 307 Ratings = 4.476

The 4.833 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Manor Lodge is based on 20 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 24 positive Reviews (120 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 20 Reviews ÷ 24 Target = 0.833

9.3 Manor Lodge has a Review Score of 9.3 (9.309) from 26 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Manor Lodge?

Reviewer Connection to Manor Lodge

• Relative of Resident/Service User
  • Civil Partner of Resident/Service User
  • Grandson of Resident/Service User

I have been extremely pleased with the care, facilities and the staff at the care home. I am particularly impressed with the entertainment programmes that are delivered on a daily basis. The members of staff make sure the experience is fun for everyone attending.

How likely would you be to recommend Manor Lodge? Extremely Likely

I have been a regular visitor since March 2015. I have always been impressed by the level of care provided by the staff and manager. Staff take time to get to know the residents and are constantly engaging them in conversations. The activities provided are plentiful, varied and geared to all levels of participation. A favourite enjoyed by many residents and visitors is the accordion player, who encourages everyone to join in with instruments, singing and if able dancing with staff also participating.
The cleanliness of the home is at a very high standard and the food always looks and smells amazing.

How likely would you be to recommend Manor Lodge? Extremely Likely

My mum has been in Manor Lodge for nearly two years. I have been very impressed with the home, staff are very caring and do their best for my mum and I am very happy for mum to be there receiving exceptional care.

How likely would you be to recommend Manor Lodge? Extremely Likely

As I live abroad, I don't visit quite so often, but do regularly come over and speak with my mother daily. On visits, I always find her happy and contented, full of news as to what she has been doing. On calls, I always have the same conversations. The staff are always welcoming and attentive. I have seldom heard her complain and then nothing serious.

How likely would you be to recommend Manor Lodge? Extremely Likely

My wife has been here since the end of November. She is happy and cared for. I always feel welcome by all staff at Manor Lodge.

How likely would you be to recommend Manor Lodge? Likely

From the moment I came to view this care home with my mother, I felt very welcome. The staff are a delight to talk to and have made my mum feel safe and secure. She joins in all the activities, the whole home is very positive.

How likely would you be to recommend Manor Lodge? Extremely Likely

Friendly, welcoming, staff take time to greet and make you feel part of the Manor Lodge family. Grounds and hallways clean and well maintained. Security is maintained but without feeling like a prison. Food sounds lovely. Home comforts and traditional.

How likely would you be to recommend Manor Lodge? Extremely Likely

Manor Lodge is a home from home for mum - and all visitors feel so welcome. It is like one big family. There is a friendly atmosphere, extremely clean, great food choices and activities to suit everyone - but no pressure if mum does not want to join in. I feel so lucky to have mum in Manor Lodge. Thank you all.

How likely would you be to recommend Manor Lodge? Extremely Likely

I visit this care home once a week as a friend of a resident. I find the staff to be a friendly crowd and although living in a care home is never going to be ideal for anyone, they seem to be able to make life as pleasant as possible for my friend, whose physical problems are very challenging. I may add, that I also visit this home and various others in the area, as part of a concert party. Manor Lodge compares very favourably in the way entertainment is organised, and the audience there are always lively and appreciative.

How likely would you be to recommend Manor Lodge? Likely

My mother has Alzheimer's, a medically recognised degenerative disease. She, therefore, has severe medical needs. Manor Lodge staff care for her very well, as far as I am aware.

How likely would you be to recommend Manor Lodge? Don't know

Manor Lodge is a very warm and welcoming environment. We feel that our family member is very well supported and feel happy to know that she is safe and happy.

How likely would you be to recommend Manor Lodge? Extremely Likely

Both my Mother and mother in law have lost clothes. Mum has one shoe missing. Mother in law has lost a pair. My Mum in Law lost 11 pieces of clothing. 9 have been found. She lost most of her underwear and a pair of shoes. We often buy new bras for my mother and they have gone missing. I have over the year seen other residents wearing my Mum's clothes. All have been labelled. My Mum in law was only here for two weeks respite. Corridor often smells of urine.

How likely would you be to recommend Manor Lodge? Extremely Likely

Samantha Debenham, Marketing Support Administrator at Manor Lodge responded to this review on 26 Mar 2018:

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We’re delighted with the positive scores for Manor Lodge, particularly around activities, care and facilities. With regards to laundry, we apologise for the issues you have experienced. We would like to assure you that we have found the missing items and have put steps in place to improve the laundry service. Thank you again for taking the time to provide your feedback, and of course please do contact the home manager or any other members of the senior team at the home if there is anything else we can help with.

My siblings and I were very impressed when seven years ago we arranged for my mother to live here. Since then our expectations have never been disappointed. The daily activities are very good; the care and understanding of our mother and other residents are excellent. My mother is very well cared for, secure and in trustworthy hands. I unequivocally thank the staff and commend Manor Lodge as a first-class care home.

How likely would you be to recommend Manor Lodge? Extremely Likely

The care home was always clean, well maintained and welcoming. Staff were very supportive, especially during Mum's end of life care - to both Mum and us as family members.

Food quality could have been better and staff should be allowed more time to just sit and chat to the residents but overall I believe we chose the right home and Mum was in the best possible hands - thank you!

How likely would you be to recommend Manor Lodge? Likely

Samantha Debenham, Marketing Support Administrator at Manor Lodge responded to this review on 07 Dec 2017:

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments regarding Manor Lodge care home, we are so pleased that you are likely to recommend us and for believing that you chose the right home for your mother’s care.

Our team at Manor Lodge work hard to provide an excellent standard of care and believe in supporting each resident and their family in any way they can, so it is wonderful to hear that you felt they were supportive. However, we are sorry to hear that the food offering did not meet your expectations. Our chefs pride themselves on creating varied menus, with a focus on choice, nutrition and above all, taste. They meet with all residents to discover their personal preferences and always value honest feedback. We appreciate your views and will continue to work on providing delicious meals. Thank you once again for sharing your views on our home.

Overall a good standard of care with varied activities to stimulate and entertain. Active involvement encouraged by friends and relatives.

WRITTLE WARD

- Lack of staff to care for residents.
- Numerous times left alone in the lounge.
- Certain staff lacking patience.

BADDOW WARD

- More staff to patient ratio.
- Staff appear more patient.

- Lots of activities for residents - activity coordinator is fantastic with residents.
- Upkeep of Manor Lodge is to a very high standard, always clean and tidy.

How likely would you be to recommend Manor Lodge? Likely

Samantha Debenham, Marketing Support Administrator at Manor Lodge responded to this review on 09 Nov 2017:

Thank you so much James for your review of Manor Lodge and your high scores for the cleanliness and safety of the home, as well as the provision of activities. We are really appreciative of both your positive comments and the constructive observations you have made about Writtle and Baddow ward, and want to assure you that we take all feedback seriously. We ensure that our levels of staffing are always suitable to meet the needs of all residents seven days a week, and also overnight; however we have reflected on your comments and made appropriate changes to staffing on our residential suite, Writtle. We believe this has allowed for an even more supportive care team. Thank you again for taking the time to leave your comments and for the support you have given Manor Lodge.

My mum has lived at Manor Lodge for the last 6 months, I only wish we had moved her from her previous home before.

There isn’t one thing my mum or myself dislike about the home, all the staff go out of their way to make my mum feel special and treat her with care, respect and dignity, nothing is too much trouble.

The home is always very clean and has lovely decor. The rooms are perfect in size with lovely big windows and all en-suite. There are lots of little places to go sit and chat with a tea/coffee and lovely cake. The food is homemade with a good variety.

My mum would tend to just watch TV but in Manor Lodge, she is encouraged to join in with activities, and there is always something happening.

How likely would you be to recommend Manor Lodge? Extremely Likely

Mum took residence in Manor Lodge during April 2014 and remained there until she recently passed away in September 2017.
She had previously shown signs of early dementia and was anxious about moving from her own home into residential care. Nevertheless, she was warmly welcomed and encouraged to settle in and accept her new home.
Over the ensuing two and a half years her dementia increased but the care was adjusted and adapted to meet her changing needs in a kind and compassionate, understanding way by all the staff at Manor Lodge. As the daughter of a resident, I never had cause to worry any matter I raised with the staff was quickly and efficiently dealt with. Their liaison with Mum's GP practice was speedy and when necessary persistent.
Eventually, of course, we had to face mum's demise. Their care for mum by Manor Lodge at this stage excelled itself and their care extended to myself and my sister at such a traumatic time for us was superb, beyond the realms of any expectation.
A big thank you to all at the Manor you are all a credit to your profession.

How likely would you be to recommend Manor Lodge? Extremely Likely

My mother has lived here for 18 months and feels like it's home from home. She is very frail and has dementia and is treated with dignity and respect. All carers are kind and compassionate and are an extension to our family. The family are confident mum is in safe hands and are involved with every aspect of her care.

How likely would you be to recommend Manor Lodge? Extremely Likely

The staff at Manor Lodge are extremely helpful and very caring. They are also very kind to me and as I am there most days, I notice the way they treat all residents, which is always in a respectful and good way. They do everything possible to make everyone happy and provide excellent activities and entertainment.

How likely would you be to recommend Manor Lodge? Extremely Likely

Nursing staff - excellent in all they do.
The administration could not be more helpful. The carers good to superb.

How likely would you be to recommend Manor Lodge? Likely

Overall I am happy with the care given to mum over the last 7 years. One lady is particularly good with the entertainment. Issues raised have been dealt with satisfactorily. Communication could be improved however regular emails would be ideal. Also, I would like to see mums diabetes being monitored.

How likely would you be to recommend Manor Lodge? Likely

Samantha Debenham, Marketing Support Administrator at Manor Lodge responded to this review on 15 Dec 2016:

Thank you for your valuable feedback. We are delighted with the positive comments and ratings you have given, particularly for the activities provision at Manor Lodge. We take your concerns and feedback seriously and we are pleased that any issues you have raised with the management team have been dealt with satisfactorily. Following your comments regarding the monitoring of your mother’s diabetes, this can be arranged and the manager at the home will be in touch to discuss this with you.

I would thank the staff at the Manor Lodge home who care for my mum. They do a wonderful difficult job that requires great care and attention they have made my mum feel welcome and wanted which is often forgotten when running around caring for many people all with different requirements. They give her their time and are always around to offer help, but also allow her to have some independence and feel like she still has some control over her life.

I would also like to thank the manager of the home who has been wonderful and helped me through a very difficult time, she has shown me compassion and understanding and has directed me on how best to help mum to adjust and feel one of the crowd. The twice daily activities give the residents a reason to get up and join in and make new friends.

I looked at 18 homes in Essex before I found this one it was the only one where I felt the residents were not there to die but where she could enjoy herself and have fun in her last days.

Thank you.

How likely would you be to recommend Manor Lodge? Extremely Likely

The carers at Manor Lodge are dedicated, caring, compassionate and kind. They treated my father with respect and dignity and ensured that he has medical help when required. He regarded the carers as his extended family.

How likely would you be to recommend Manor Lodge? Extremely Likely

My mother has been resident at Manor Lodge since it opened; she died today at nearly 103 years of age. From the moment she set foot in Manor Lodge she was made to feel very welcome and she enjoyed every moment of her stay. The level of care and support were given by all the staff has been exceptional. Every attention has been given to every detail to ensure her stay was as pleasant and fulfilling as possible.

The service given really was at the hotel level, with excellent, plentiful food and snacks, with staff who were always happy and willing to provide those little extras. For example, Manor Lodge provided a family party for her 100th birthday - excellent. My mother was always treated with dignity by very caring staff and her end of life care was exceptional.

There was always a good timetable of activities and live entertainment for the residents and a well-attended summer fete.

The premises were cleaned every day and the rooms and communal areas are very well appointed and secure.

How likely would you be to recommend Manor Lodge? Extremely Likely

The care home does not ensure that residents have their own clothes, rugs, chairs. The food is very good. The residents do not have cream applied all over to ensure their skin is in good condition. Hair brushes are used on more than one person. Diets are only commenced when a dietary deems it necessary not with common sense. If staff are hot the residents are not dressed warmly, it is known that the elderly feel the cold more. Feet should be elevated as feet swell.

How likely would you be to recommend Manor Lodge? Neither Unlikely or Likely

Juliana Miles, Home Manager at Manor Lodge responded to this review on 17 May 2016:

We’re grateful for your feedback and I would like to assure you that we take all your concerns very seriously indeed. We’re very proud of our excellent reputation at Manor Lodge and if we have fallen short of this in any way we will of course address this immediately. Since submitting your review I understand that you have been able to meet with the home manager and other key individuals to discuss your sister’s care and I hope that you are now reassured. Thank you for taking the time to submit these comments and of course do let us know if you have anything else you’d like to raise and we’ll be more than happy to help.

Submit a Review for Manor Lodge

posted 22 May 2018

Please call us on 0124 580 7622 for current bed vacancies

December 2017

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Manor Lodge