Barchester Oulton Park Care Centre

Union Lane, Oulton Broad, Lowestoft NR32 3AX

Barchester Oulton Park Care Centre, Lowestoft, Suffolk

Oulton Park makes the most of pleasant grounds and a versatile interior to provide top quality nursing and residential care, with professionals available round-the-clock and also skilled in care and support for physical disabilities and dementia.

A committed team work hard to ensure that all provision is tailored to the individual, while allowing them to make the most of a relaxed and homely atmosphere.

All staff are carefully chosen and well-qualified to achieve the best standards, with the company philosophy focusing on an attentive service that also supports an active lifestyle. Personal interests are encouraged and there is much to enjoy within the life of the home.

The aim is to meet all residents’ needs over the long-term, living up to a reputation for quality that Barchester homes have earned.

Group: Barchester Healthcare Ltd

Person in charge: Sarah Wright (General Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Suffolk County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 60 Service Users

Registered Care Categories*: Dementia • Learning Disability • Mental Health Condition • No Medical Intervention • Old Age • Physical Disability • Sensory Impairment • Substance Misuse • Younger Adults

Specialist Care Categories: Alcohol Dependence (past or present) • Alzheimer's • Asperger Syndrome • Autism/ASD • Cerebral Palsy • Down Syndrome • Drug Dependence (past or present) • Epilepsy • Head/Brain Injury • Hearing Impairment • Huntington's Disease • Motor Neurone Disease • Multiple Sclerosis • Muscular Dystrophy • Orthopaedic • Parkinson's Disease • Speech Impairment • Stroke • Visual Impairment

Admission Information: No Smoking. Ages 18+.

Languages Spoken by Staff (other than English): Spanish; Castilian, Hindi, Romanian, Russian

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Day Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Physiotherapy • Separate Dementia Care Unit • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Smoking not permitted • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Wheelchair access • Ground Floor Accommodation only • Gardens for residents • Bar/Cafe on premises • Residents Kitchenette • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Barchester Oulton Park Care Centre: click here

posted 24 Aug 2017

We currently have limited availability. Please contact us to discuss your needs further, we would love to welcome you for a visit.

9.8 Barchester Oulton Park Care Centre has a Review Score of 9.8 (9.777)

The Review Score of 9.8 (maximum of 10) for Barchester Oulton Park Care Centre is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.8 out of 5 from 27 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Barchester Oulton Park Care Centre in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 5 out of 5 from 18 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.777 for Barchester Oulton Park Care Centre is calculated as follows: ( (259 Excellents x 5) + (50 Goods x 4) + (9 Satisfactorys x 3) + (1 Poors x 2) ) ÷ 319 Ratings = 4.777

The 5 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Barchester Oulton Park Care Centre is based on 18 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 12 positive Reviews (60 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 18 Reviews ÷ 12 Target Reached = 1

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Barchester Oulton Park Care Centre?

Reviewer Connection to Barchester Oulton Park Care Centre

Very good day visiting with our family.

How likely would you be to recommend Barchester Oulton Park Care Centre? Likely

My mum has been at Oulton Park for 3 months now and she has settled in so well thanks to the love and care shown to her by all the staff.
We always receive a very warm welcome when we visit and I go home knowing that my mum is safe and very well looked after.
Our family have been so impressed, we could not have chosen a better home for mum. All the staff are kind, caring and helpful and nothing is too much trouble.
The food is excellent and we have been able to eat Sunday lunch with mum on several occasions which allows us to recreate family times as we did with her at home before she suffered her stroke.
Mum is encouraged to join in activities with other residents and we feel she has become part of a big caring family.

A big thank you to everyone at Oulton Park, you go above and beyond and we appreciate everything you do, you have been a great support to us as a family.

How likely would you be to recommend Barchester Oulton Park Care Centre? Extremely Likely

My wife has been in Oulton Park Care Centre for 4 weeks now. From day 1 she has received great care and attention from all staff. One could not wish for a better and safe place for one's loved one.

The place is clean and well maintained, a credit to all the staff (a five-star hotel).

One big thank you from me and my wife.

I can only say how impressed I am with the staff and domestics. The rooms are beautiful. It has made us feel less stressed. The care dad has been given is beyond words, making him pain-free, comfortable and have gone over and above expectations.
Thank you all.

Sarah Wright, General Manager at Barchester Oulton Park Care Centre responded to this review on 16 Aug 2017:

Thank you so much for your lovely feedback and it was an absolute pleasure to care for your father and meet you, feel free to visit if you wish. Our thoughts are with you.

Always made welcome by staff - can visit anytime. No need to make an appointment. Fresh flowers and plants around the care home. Plenty of pictures etc to interest residents. Music, loving care to the (mainly) elderly folk there. Activities and special days (e.g. Easter/Halloween). Attractive rooms and furnishings all round. My sister seems more calm and content since she has been living here.

It is an absolute pleasure to care for your sister she is a lovely lady and I look forward to seeing you again soon.

Barchester Care Home is amazing. The staff are fantastic always helping and offering support for the resident but family too. The staff are all friendly and polite. The care home is clean, tidy and hygienic at all times. I would recommend here to everyone. The staff are always near and help whenever needed.
I am so impressed with it here that I have started volunteering a few hours a week with the activities team who are also great. I cannot fault this care home.

The love and care shown to our mum in Beech Wing is truly outstanding. She celebrated her her 90th birthday today and her carers decorated her room so beautifully! She always looks clean and well-dressed but above all, it is the love everyone, without exception, that makes this home so unique! We live abroad but every time we turn up unannounced she is cherished here. The centre is welcoming and spotless and all the staff are truly dedicated to their care of patients. Faultless. X

I visit my friend every week. I'm not related to him but he has been like a father to me and a grandad to my children. He looked after my mother and now it's his turn to be looked after. He is in a wonderful care home and I could not wish for a better place for him to be. All the staff are all very loyal and helpful and take their time to talk to you.

Thank you all for everything you do and for looking after everyone.

The nursing and care my husband has received in the past 6 months has been excellent. The staff are very friendly and obliging and there is a very happy atmosphere. The building and grounds are lovely and there are plenty of activities to keep the residents amused.

Value for Money: Poor

My mother in law came to stay for palliative care. The family could not have wished for a better place for her.
Oulton Park staff are a credit to your company, they have the highest care and empathy for residents and their families I have ever known.
A thank you is not enough.

We as a family (my mother, sister and I) are very happy with the care and support shown to my dear dad.
He has dementia and we know he can be a challenge, but we know he is treated with dignity, care and kindness.
The nursery staff are wonderful and nothing seems to be much trouble.
There is always a warm welcome when we visit him.
The activity staff are so friendly and we are able to join in with dad and everyone else.

A fantastic care home.
Staff all one hundred percent.
Always clean and helpful.

My wife has only been in this care home for four weeks, she has settled in very well due to the good care she is getting from all the carers and staff. She has started to eat a lot better as the food is excellent and presented well on the plate.
I'd like to thank all the people at the care home for all they have done through this difficult time.

The care my sister has received in the month that she has been here has been excellent.
She has been treated wth the utmost care and kindness with great compassion.
The atmosphere in the home is always welcoming and calm.
Congratulations to all concerned.

I am speaking on behalf of my brother, myself and our family. My mum has a severe stroke in November 2016 and after being in the hospital for 6 weeks was transferred to Oulton Park. She required nursing care and she is now bedridden.
We found this care home extremely good from day one, the care and nursing staff are helpful, kind and looking after mum very well. Her room is cosy and she has a lot of her own belongings here.
The food is good and we like the fact you can take meals with your loved one.
The communal areas are very pleasant and we try to join in activities when possible. All in all, it is a great comfort to us that our beloved mum is so well cared for.

I would like to say how lovely the head of memory lane is, always happy to help. Always phones if she feels we had to know anything about our loved one and always gives you time if on duty to go over the care plan paperwork. I can't thank her for the care she gives my grandmother.

How likely would you be to recommend Barchester Oulton Park Care Centre? Likely

Sarah Wright, General Manager at Barchester Oulton Park Care Centre responded to this review on 22 Nov 2016:

Thank you so much for your lovely feedback it was a pleasure having your grandmother stay with us and I have passed on your feedback to the Head of memory lane and the team. Many Thanks.

Oulton Park, in my opinion, is way on top of my list. Over the last 12 months, I've visited about six care homes and the staff, quality of care, attitudes of the staff, accommodation and food are to me, top quality. I have quoted this before but I see everyone (including management) as my friends and my family and I will remember them forever.

Thank you so much for your lovely feedback and wonderful to have you stay with us and your feedback is very much appreciated and I shall pass this on to the rest of the team. See you soon.

As soon as I arrived, I was greeted in a friendly manner as well as professionally I was shown a very nice room. I felt very comfortable and at home straight away. The attitude of the staff made me feel at home and like friends, as being here cared for me. I didn't want to come here in the first place but now I am a bit sorry to leave after one week and wish I had been booked in for two weeks instead, notwithstanding I will still be pleased to go home to my wife. I have enjoyed the food but would have liked a few lamb steaks. (my favourite meat) I hope to be able to return for further respite.

Sarah Wright, General Manager at Barchester Oulton Park Care Centre responded to this review on 28 Sep 2016:

We are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us at Oulton Park and we look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

My mum had a stroke in late December 2015. After two months in hospital she moved to Oulton Park. We were initially worried about the move and the change in surroundings. However my mum was quickly made welcome and was very happy at the home. The staff were very caring and attentive. I was impressed with the activities arranged for the residents.

Mums room was pleasant with a view of the garden area.

Sadly my mum had a second stroke in early April and passed away after two weeks. This was a very stressful time and the home's care team were very helpful, caring and attentive during this time. They also worked very well with the hospital and GP practice to make sure mum was as comfortable as possible.

When my mum passed away the care team were also on hand to support the family at the home.

Overall my mum spent two months at Oulton Park and her stay was a happy one. I cant fault the staff and strongly recommend this home.

In patient following major operation. The accommodation, both bedroom and general rooms, are clean, comfortable and very well appointed and visitors are made very welcome. Menus are varied with many alternatives available. The staff are efficient, friendly and caring.

I am very pleased with my dad's care at this home. It is very welcoming and lots of activities. In my experience (of other homes) this is the best.
We attended the mock Christmas meal. Which is a great idea. It was very professional and made to feel like a special occasion. The staff were superb!

The home itself is clean and has a pleasant feel about it. The staff are extremely friendly and interact well with the family member who is living at the home. The food is excellent, both in terms of preparation and variety.

The home looked after my husband really well and when I picked him up after the 2 days and 2 nights, he looked well and cared for. No distress at all.

Because of the neglect to my wife in another care home she returned home unable to ever walk again. I cared for her for fourteen months. Her condition gradually became worse and I had to consider a nursing home. On the advice of several people and Oulton Park was recommended. This was the best advice ever given to me as we found it an absolutely wonderful home. The staff are the most caring, friendly and experienced we have ever known. They do their utmost to treat each individual so all receive personal care.

I would like to praise the outstanding and excellent care that my nan receives from this care home. It is run supremely well and the staff are very welcoming, they work extremely hard and should be praised for the job they do. Furthermore the home is very clean and the hygiene is to an exemplary standard. In addition to this, I have been very impressed with the food and facilities. The choice and selection is that of a 5 star hotel. I would strongly recommend the home to anyone.

Very satisfied treated very well. June admission not well grateful thanks to the manager and another member of staff both very helpful in taking dad in all staff brilliant.
August admission respite while I was on holiday looked after very well.

I was immediately impressed with the home itself, light, airy, beautifully furnished, clean, carpeted and very professional in a way that didn't compromise home comfort. We knew mummy would like it, despite her situation. I was similarly impressed with all the staff and carers. Mummy was only with them a short time but they all wanted to understand her likes and dislikes to make her comfortable and were genuinely loving and caring towards her. The food is great. The gardens are beautiful. The standard of medical care and emotional care are very good. I am desperately sad to have lost my mummy but am happy that she spent her last days at Oulton Park.

Submit a Review for Barchester Oulton Park Care Centre

May 2012

October 2011

September 2011

Sarah

Sarah Wright

Joined: 2014

General Manager
Hello, my name is Sarah Wright, and I am the General Manager here at Oulton Park Care Centre. I have varied experience in mental health nursing and much of that has involved nursing individuals with complex needs who are living with dementia. I have worked in various settings.

I consider myself to be very lucky to work with such a talented and dedicated team of people who assist me in ensuring that we deliver high quality and person-centred care for all residents. Communication, dignity and respect are vital in the running of our home.

Norma

Norma Whibley

Job Title: Deputy manager

Joined: 2016

I have been in nursing for 40 years. Most of it has been spent in elderly care. Prior to coming to oulton park in September 2016 I spent 15 years in management as a deputy and as a manager. Following six months as a nurse at Oulton park getting to know the home, its staff team and residents I am pleased to say I took on the deputy role just two weeks ago and look forward to working with the dedicated team here at oulton park

Esther

Esther Mulrain Joe

Job Title: Head Of Unit - Memory Lane

Joined: 2011

Esther specialises in ensuring that the care offered across the home is at the highest standard, and that each resident is receiving the right care for them personally.
She also works exclusively in driving and delivering the highest standards of care and dignity to all our residents on Memory Lane, and assists the General Manager to offer the kind of support to families and loved ones that is so much valued
Esther contributes to the development of new ideas in nursing and social care in respect of stimulation for residents to improve their quality of life

Pat

Pat Davies

Job Title: Head of nursing unit Hawthorn/poplar

Joined: 2013

I have been a nurse for 30+ years and have been at Oulton Park since 2013. I specialise in end of life care and strongly believe in supporting relatives as well as the residents here at Oulton Park. I love my work as every day is different and I have a hard-working dedicated team behind me as support.

Heidi

Heidi Innes

Job Title: Activities Organiser – Hawthorn & Poplar

Heidi Innes - Activities Organiser – Hawthorn & Poplar
Hi, my name is Heidi and I have been at Oulton Park since Jan 2009, firstly starting as a Carer then in Dec 2012, I became the Activities Co-ordinator on Hawthorn Poplar unit.
I am always searching for new exciting ideas for our residents to join in with and enjoy either on a one-to-one basis or in a group.
All events and daily activities are planned to enrich the lives of our residents and of course to be fun and stimulating for them.
Myself and Clare (Activities Co-ordinator on Memory Lane) work closely together to create and provide a varied exciting plan of activities for all of our residents. We love seeing their happy faces when a plan comes together and they enjoy whatever it is we have organised for them. We strive to constantly improve our activities plan and to personally improve and further develop within our job roles.

Keith

Keith Cook

Job Title: Head Chef

Joined: 2013

Keith is responsible for managing the kitchen and delivering a high quality service to both residents and guests of the home, ensuring that meals are of a very high standard and that everybody is well catered.
Keith ensures that our residents are given the choice of nutritionally balanced, wholesome meals as and when they require them. Ordering local, fresh and seasonal ingredients, he creates exciting menus that will cater for individual desires.

Peter

Peter Davis

Job Title: Head of Maintance

Joined: 2009

As Head of Maintenance Peter makes sure the home is looked after to a high standard, he is also the key contact on site for outside contractors. He will make sure every resident’s stay here is trouble free and as comfortable as possible and he is the person to go to for any problems within the rooms or home.

Paula

Paula Mills

Job Title: Head Of Housekeeping

Joined: 2009

Paula is responsible for the overall operation of the Housekeeping Department and upholding the highest standard of Cleanliness and Safety. The housekeeping team also maintain good relationships with all the residents and will always find time for a chat and a friendly smile

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Barchester Oulton Park Care Centre