St James' Park Care Home

Higher Street, Bradpole, Bridport DT6 3EU

Located in the charming village of Bradpole, near Bridport on the beautiful Jurrasic Coast, St. James’ Park is a friendly care home, offering residential and nursing care.

With sitting rooms, space for Residents to pursue their hobbies and interests and a lovely dining room, St. James’ Park has a host of places in which to relax, dine, exercise, socialise and be creative.

The delightful landscaped garden and patio is the perfect spot to spend time with friends and family and is happily looked after by some of our Residents. The bright, comfortable bedrooms and living areas are all easily accessible by wheelchair.

The home’s caring team has created a family atmosphere, encouraging everyone to eat and celebrate special occasions together. Residents are invited to decorate their rooms with small items of their own furniture and treasured belongings so that it feels just like home.

Daily life is thoughtfully designed to support mind, body and soul.

Person in charge: Claire Hart (Home Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Dorset County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 31 Service Users

Registered Care Categories*: Old Age • Physical Disability

Specialist Care Categories: Parkinson's Disease

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Smoking not permitted • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Lift • Gardens for residents • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on St James' Park Care Home: click here

The Review Score of 9.7 (maximum of 10) for St James' Park Care Home is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.7 out of 5 from 32 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for St James' Park Care Home in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 5 out of 5 from 11 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.718 for St James' Park Care Home is calculated as follows: ( (284 Excellents x 5) + (76 Goods x 4) + (11 Satisfactorys x 3) + (1 Poors x 2) + (1 Very Poors x 1) ) ÷ 373 Ratings = 4.718

The 5 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for St James' Park Care Home is based on 11 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 6.2 positive Reviews (31 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 11 Reviews ÷ 6.2 Target Reached = 1

9.7 St James' Park Care Home has a Review Score of 9.7 (9.718) from 32 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend St James' Park Care Home?

Reviewer Connection to St James' Park Care Home

Very friendly and helpful staff in a clean and tidy environment. They have helped my mother pick herself up after the loss of my father and a subsequent fall. Mum now is looking forward to an active life when she is fully recovered and able to go back home.

How likely would you be to recommend St James' Park Care Home? Likely

I am very pleased with the care and compassion that has been given to my father by the lovely staff of St James Park Care Home. I would be happy to recommend St James to other people looking for a caring home for their loved ones.

How likely would you be to recommend St James' Park Care Home? Extremely Likely

The care home has happy residents, helpful and cheerful staff who are happy to give their time and help to residents and visitors alike. A very nice greeting on arrival and a cheery goodbye is also what you get. The staff are very aware of their clients' needs and I have been told the food is good too. Both times I have visited I have been offered refreshments. Keep it up.

How likely would you be to recommend St James' Park Care Home? Likely

My uncle was only in St James for a week and a half before he sadly passed away. We were happy to get him out of hospital and into a quiet room. The staff are all really caring and nothing is too much trouble for them. One of the nurses was with my uncle when he passed and held his hand which is very comforting to know. I would recommend this care home as they were very attentive and extremely helpful in what was a very difficult time for our family.

How likely would you be to recommend St James' Park Care Home? Extremely Likely

My mother passed away at St James' on Dec 4th, 2017. She had been a resident there for 2 1/2 years prior to that. During that time, I could not have wished for a more caring, compassionate and loving environment. Relatives are welcomed and consulted on every aspect of care. The nursing standards and specialist knowledge are excellent. During her final weeks, the support we all received was much appreciated and I cannot praise the wonderful staff highly enough.

How likely would you be to recommend St James' Park Care Home? Extremely Likely

My mother has now been in St James Care Home for almost two years now and unfortunately to her condition is unable to walk and care for herself. It has been an extremely good choice of home as we (as a family) are completely satisfied with the help and care my mother receives from all the staff. I have got to know nearly all the staff and have found them all to be competent, caring and professional in their duties. I know at times it can be a very difficult job, but the staff (management and the team) do their up-most to care for my mother with kindness and sincerity. The home is well run, clean and tidy. The rooms are nicely decorated with ample facilities in each. We have brought in some of mums belongings and the Care Home have no objections to us doing this. Thank you all at St James.

How likely would you be to recommend St James' Park Care Home? Extremely Likely

My father was in St James' for two and a half years. During this time as his daughter I was able to visit at any time to suit, was always made very welcome and found my father's various needs were met.
St James' is a friendly, relaxed yet professional set up.
The end of life care was caring, respectful and supportive for which I am very grateful.

How likely would you be to recommend St James' Park Care Home? Extremely Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer Services Administrator at St James' Park Care Home responded to this review on 21 Nov 2017:

So sorry to hear of your loss, please accept our condolences. Thank you for your review and kind words about our staff. I hope that in time to come when you look back on the time that your father spent with us it gives you some comfort knowing that he was well cared for and loved.

My father spent his last two weeks at St James'. The family were very grateful that he could be moved out of a busy, noisy hospital ward.
He had everything he needed and was looked after with care and attention.
All the staff were well informed and helpful. It was a relief and really helped us get through a very difficult time.
I would recommend St James' to anyone.

How likely would you be to recommend St James' Park Care Home? Extremely Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer Services Administrator at St James' Park Care Home responded to this review on 24 Oct 2017:

So sorry to hear of your loss, please accept our condolences. Thank you for your review. I'm so glad that you were able to spend the last couple of weeks somewhere quiet and relaxed knowing that your farther was receiving the care and attention that he needed and the support that you and your family needed at such a sad time.

My husband was treated very well even during his difficult phases. All of the staff were kind and helpful and cared as much for me as for him. The many visitors were welcomed. It was a shame that he was not in a condition to make use of all the facilities offered.

How likely would you be to recommend St James' Park Care Home? Extremely Likely

Jayne Duck, customer services administrator at St James' Park Care Home responded to this review on 23 Aug 2017:

The staff at St James' are so caring and professional. They have always been very approachable and friendly and they ensure the needs of the residents are met.
The home is kept to a very high standard and feels warm and homely; there are always vases of fresh flowers in the foyer and the dining tables are beautifully laid out.
A good range of activities are on offer and books can be borrowed from the library.
Residents can choose to stay in their own room or join other residents in one of the communal rooms.
The grounds are beautiful and views from the dining room and lounges are outstanding.

How likely would you be to recommend St James' Park Care Home? Extremely Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer Services Administrator at St James' Park Care Home responded to this review on 06 Jun 2017:

Thank you for your review. Glad to know that you feel that you can approach the staff and that the home feels homely with the little things like a vase of flowers things like this do make all the difference. The Bupa customer care team.

My mother's care at St James' was less than 3 weeks at best but it was caring and thoughtful.
My mother wasn't settled in that time and could be demanding in her anxiety.
There seemed to be a lot of effort to integrate her into the daily routines and activities - unsuccessful overall.
The family I.e me, my father and brother, have all been treated with great respect and compassion.

How likely would you be to recommend St James' Park Care Home? Extremely Likely

Simone Berkeley, Customer Service Advisor at St James' Park Care Home responded to this review on 25 May 2017:

Thank you for your review, we appreciate your feedback. We are pleased to hear about your positive experience and appreciate your comments about our home and will share your comments with the home’s manager.

The Bupa Customer Care Team.

A good comfortable caring home with a friendly and welcoming attitude. The carers are always cheerful and willing to help in any way they can. It is a relief to me to know that my mother, 98-years-old, is being so well looked after.

How likely would you be to recommend St James' Park Care Home? Extremely Likely

Emily Wilson, Customer Service Administrator at St James' Park Care Home responded to this review on 05 Apr 2017:

Thank you for sharing your lovely review with us, we really appreciate it. I am so pleased that you are happy with St James' Park Care Home and the care that they are providing for your Mother. The Bupa Customer Care Team.

At a difficult period in mum's long life, she needed to be looked after. I was so relieved that she could spend her final time at St James. All staff members showed real affection for her and every effort was made to make her stay here as worry-free and secure as possible any medical needs were promptly and efficiently treated.
Her end of life care has been exemplary.
The peace of mind it has given her family is immense.

How likely would you be to recommend St James' Park Care Home? Extremely Likely

Emily Wilson, Customer Service Administrator at St James' Park Care Home responded to this review on 17 Mar 2017:

Thank you so much for sharing your lovely review. I am so pleased that you have been able to have peace of mind during her stay, thank you for your feedback. Thank you again, The Bupa Customer Care Team

I have been a resident at St James' Park Care Home, Bridport since November 2016. I have left the review till now, as after 3 months, I feel I can give a true and honest review on how I feel. The review, in my opinion, covers the entire staff from management, nursing, carers and kitchen staff who supply superb and varied meals all the time. All the staff without exception show the absolute utmost care, kindness and consideration at all times. I am so happy and content, the girls are all so lovely and loving, I didn't think it would be like this in a care home. My husband is a regular daily visitor and he is treated with respect and made to feel so welcome no matter how long he stays. My husband has already told friends over the last 3 months how impressed he is with St James' Park Care Home and the superb care and nursing that I receive. We hope this review helps you in your assessment which in my view should carry the highest of rewards in your recommendations.

How likely would you be to recommend St James' Park Care Home? Extremely Likely

Thank you so much for sharing such a lovely review with us. I am so pleased to hear that you are happy at St James' Park and I am sure your happiness will continue throughout your stay. I will pass on your kind words to the home manager. Thank you so much again, and best wishes, The Bupa Customer Care Team.

My mum is 92 years old this year. Over the past year, she has had several spells in hospital and has become very frail. On the 12th of December 2016, mum moved into St Jame's Park. In the short time she has been a resident she has received excellent care. Every member of staff, be it the managers, nurses, care staff, office, housekeepers, catering staff and maintenance, have been friendly and helpful. They all make my dad very welcome when we take him to visit mum. We hope mum will enjoy many years at St James Park.

How likely would you be to recommend St James' Park Care Home? Extremely Likely

Thank you so much for your kind feedback. I am so happy to hear that you are pleased with our home. I hope your Mum settled in well and she enjoys the rest of her experience at St James' Park Care Home.

I was touched by the car and respect that my wife received in the last weeks of her life Everyone I had contact with gave me great support. truly dedicated staff and a credit to humanity.

How likely would you be to recommend St James' Park Care Home? Extremely Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer services administrator at St James' Park Care Home responded to this review on 09 Mar 2017:

Thank you for your review. We are pleased to hear about your positive experience and appreciate your comments about our home and will share your comments with the home’s manager. The Bupa Customer Care Team

My 94-year-old mother chose to move to St James' but was determined not to like it! Within two weeks of 24-hour care and attention, she became more relaxed, her health improved due to medication at correct times and she acknowledged staff were very kind. Three months later she looked 10 years younger!
Nurisng staff were very professional and available to update us whilst general care staff always showed her respect, kindness and made time to listen to her needs and pass the time of day. From management to the housekeeping staff, all were most approachable and so we were able to enjoy our visits to mum.
The end of life care support her and also us, mum was able to pass away with dignity. The whole experience showed staff as a team, committed to providing an exceptional level of care.

How likely would you be to recommend St James' Park Care Home? Extremely Likely

Emily Wilson, Customer Service Administrator at St James' Park Care Home responded to this review on 10 Mar 2017:

Excellent care home who looked after mum with loving care and attention to all her needs for housekeeping, activities to personal nursing care. All the team were kind, considerate and compassionate to mum. It was a pleasure to see mum every day in a safe, secure and a happy environment. I am very thankful to the team for looking after mum so well at the last stage of her life.

How likely would you be to recommend St James' Park Care Home? Extremely Likely

Emily Wilson, Customer Servive Administrator at St James' Park Care Home responded to this review on 10 Mar 2017:

Outstanding care, starting at the top right through, from nurses, cleaners, carers and admin.
Exceptional quality of care and dignity given to both residents and visitors.

How likely would you be to recommend St James' Park Care Home? Extremely Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer services administrator at St James' Park Care Home responded to this review on 03 Mar 2017:

After having previous experience of other care homes and hospitals, we were a little apprehensive before our invitation to visit St James Park. However, our visit proved to be 100% positive from every aspect, and we knew that the resident would be completely safe and cared for in the highest possible way.
Unfortunately, the residents stay turned out to be rather short because of very poor health, but during that time, the devotion and care both to us and the resident, by all members of staff, from top to bottom was absolutely second to none.

How likely would you be to recommend St James' Park Care Home? Extremely Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer services administrator at St James' Park Care Home responded to this review on 15 Feb 2017:

My mother came to St James from the hospital nearly a year ago, she has been looked after so well that she is so much better. It is the one to one care she gets from the cleaners and nursing managers of the home. Not all perfected but we as a family find the staff willing and happy to listen to her (she's a vegetarian and the cook has been very helpful) and ourselves to make her life there an interesting place. We are so happy with St James and the staff that work with our mother.

How likely would you be to recommend St James' Park Care Home? Extremely Likely

Emily Wilson, Customer Service Administrator at St James' Park Care Home responded to this review on 19 Dec 2016:

Nan spent the last two years of her life at St James' Park Care Home and the care she received transformed her. Despite them being the final months of her life. Nan was the happiest, most alert and interactive she had been since spending the last several years in two or three different care homes. Everybody at St James' Park Care Home was attentive, professional and willing to go the extra mile, it wasn't unusual to find the chef out chatting with nan during his tea breaks. It felt like everyone genuinely cared about the happiness, health and wellbeing fo all the residents. Thank you so much to all of you.

How likely would you be to recommend St James' Park Care Home? Extremely Likely

Rose Pickering, Customer Service Administrator at St James' Park Care Home responded to this review on 30 Aug 2016:

Thank you for your review, we appreciate your feedback. We are pleased to hear about your positive experience and appreciate your comments of our home and will share your comments with the home’s manager. Please accept our condolences. The Bupa Customer Care Team.

The atmosphere when you arrive is warm and friendly and the staff are always jolly and helpful. The chef always produces good meals and never repeats the menu. All these factors and more reflect the management style of the home.

How likely would you be to recommend St James' Park Care Home? Extremely Likely

Emily Wilson, Customer Service Administrator at St James' Park Care Home responded to this review on 08 Aug 2016:

Thank you for your review. We are pleased to hear about your positive experience and appreciate your comments of our home and will share your comments with the home’s manager. The Bupa Customer Care Team.

Mum lived at St James for a little over 2 years until she died early in July 2016. The quality of her life during that time was superb. The staff are all happy, friendly and professional and encouraged Mum to live the best life possible. Visitors were always made to feel very welcome. If we had any concerns all members of management and staff were easy to approach and chat to. The standard of housekeeping and catering is second to none. Mum's end of life care was handled with great sensitivity and compassion. As a family we cannot thank everyone at St James enough - you are first class.

How likely would you be to recommend St James' Park Care Home? Extremely Likely

Rose Pickering, Customer Service Administrator at St James' Park Care Home responded to this review on 13 Jul 2016:

Thank you for your review, we appreciate your feedback. We are pleased to hear about your positive experience and appreciate your comments of our home and will share your comments with the home’s manager. The Bupa Customer Care Team.

My mother was a resident at St James Park between September 2015 and April 2016. During this time she was treated with kindness, compassion and respect by all the staff, right down to the housekeepers.
The homes was always spotless with very high standards of hygiene, there was never that unfortunate odour that can sometimes be associated with some nursing homes. We were always made to feel welcome as visitors and often joined with an excellent programme of activities designed to engage and entertain the residents.
The care staff were very professional without losing that common touch that is so important to elderly people, there was always a genuine sense of caring.
Unfortunately my mother's dementia began to progress and as the home is not registered for dementia care, she was no longer able to stay at St James. My only sadness is that she was not able to finish her days with such a kindly group of people.

How likely would you be to recommend St James' Park Care Home? Extremely Likely

Rachel Elliott, Customer Service Administrator at St James' Park Care Home responded to this review on 23 Jun 2016:

My initial thoughts of St James Park were how friendly and welcoming the staff were. I was impressed that the staff had moved mums room around after 24 hours of her arrival, far better views out of her window.
Staff were very approachable for information, quick to respond to mum's needs and wishes.
The home was always clean and inviting. Although mum never wanted to go into a nursing home, I am glad I chose st James Park. I can't comment on the activities properly as mum didn't want to join in.

How likely would you be to recommend St James' Park Care Home? Extremely Likely

Rose Pickering, Customer Service Administrator at St James' Park Care Home responded to this review on 21 Jun 2016:

Reluctantly had to agree to my husband going into a nursing home. I spent at least 6/7 hours every day with him - and I saw it all!
Not being able to communicate to my husband was very frustrating but management, nurses, carers and even the housekeepers managed to understand his needs.
The home maintained very high standards of care and hygiene was second to none.
His last days were handled very professionally by all and his life was definitely happy with his extended family.
A parting statement would be -if I get to the point where I need care, St James will be my choice and hope the same staff are still employed.

How likely would you be to recommend St James' Park Care Home? Extremely Likely

Lydia Waller, Customer Service Administrator at St James' Park Care Home responded to this review on 23 May 2016:

Thank you for your review. We offer our condolences, and are pleased to hear about your positive experience and appreciate your comments of our home and will share your comments with the home’s manager. The Bupa Customer Care Team

My mother was lucky enough to be offered a place under the fast track scheme. She arrived extremely frail with all indications she had but weeks to live. Nearly 3 months on, the care at St James Park Nursing Home has been so superb, my mother is still alive (albeit still frail).

She's enjoying visits from her family, she is thoroughly entertained and respected by the staff and is thriving. We feel she hasn't been in such a good way for least a year, despite arriving with so little time left according to the hospital. We feel this nursing home has given us this extra time with her. We are so grateful.

How likely would you be to recommend St James' Park Care Home? Extremely Likely

Rose Pickering, Customer Service Administrator at St James' Park Care Home responded to this review on 20 May 2016:

I'm very upset in the way that my grandmother's stay has been managed at this institution.

Despite the homes website advertising the home as "Leading provider of dementia care", and my grandmother having been assessed prior to admission by the home only a few weeks ago by the home's own assessors, the home is now insisting she must leave due to having dementia.

Not only this but the management have been insistent about her leaving on a certain date, despite my parents struggling to find another home which can help her, and medical records being unavailable due to a GP being on holiday.

I'm sure dealing with patients who have dementia is extremely challenging, however this has been handled extremely poorly.

How likely would you be to recommend St James' Park Care Home? Extremely Unlikely

My mother died on 4th March. She had been a resident of the St James Park Home for just under a year. The staff of the home could my have been more caring, efficient and kind. The standard of professionalism displayed by the manager and nurses at the home was of the highest quality. Thank you so very much.

How likely would you be to recommend St James' Park Care Home? Extremely Likely

Rose Pickering, Customer Service Administrator at St James' Park Care Home responded to this review on 18 Mar 2016:

Thank you for your review, we appreciate your feedback. We are pleased to hear about your positive experience of our home and will share your comments with the home's manager. The Bupa Customer Care Team.

St James' Park is a very friendly, welcoming care home. All the hard working staff are extremely helpful and always cheerful. They show great compassion and love to the residents, also great patience, when required. Residents are treated like a loved parent or grandparent. Relatives are made very welcome, as are all pets and are welcome back any time, when a loved one passes away. The standard of hygiene is exemplary in all aspects of life in St James' Park. Relatives are welcome to join loved ones at meal times and can order a meal when required. Great care is taken to provide meals that suit each resident.

How likely would you be to recommend St James' Park Care Home? Extremely Likely

After visiting numerous care homes, as soon as we walked in to St James's Park care home, we all felt completely comfortable. We knew that this was the right place for our 90 year old relative. The staff are friendly, well trained, obliging and professional in caring for the residents - all are known by name and visitors are encouraged at any time so I was able to assess the home at various times over the 9 months she was there.

The rooms are light, bright, spotlessly clean and have all the necessary things to make lives comfortable and safe. The meals were always healthy and tempting and I was impressed with the quality of the food offered.

The staff were at their absolute best when our Mum-in-law needed hospitalisation and then they managed her restricted mobility really well by making sure she was comfortable, well cared for all the time, as well as keeping us regularly updated.

We were, as a family, really touched by how well her 'end of life' care was managed with love, dignity and support; her palliative care was the best one could have.

We highly recommend St James' Park - it is very well managed with professional staff. We would be more than happy to entrust another family member to their care!

Submit a Review for St James' Park Care Home

posted 08 May 2018

Please contact us for information regarding our bed availability

Recipient: HC-One

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at St James' Park Care Home