Ashgrove Care Home, Dudley, West Midlands

Located within a residential area of Dudley, West Midlands, Ashgrove Care Home is a purpose built 51 bedded accommodation offering Dementia and Nursing care.

Residents have a choice of lounge areas which feature comfortable and specially designed furnishings, as well as a range of comfortable and well-equipped bedrooms.

Chefs at Ashgrove pride themselves in knowing the tastes of residents and preparing a choice of home cooked, fresh, nutritional meals and catering for any dietary and cultural needs. At HC-One, experienced Home Managers and members of staff ensure kindness is at the heart of everything they do.

Person in charge: Sophia Gordon (Care Home Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Dudley Metropolitan Borough Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 57 Service Users

Registered Care Categories*: Dementia • Old Age • Sensory Impairment

Specialist Care Categories: Alzheimer's • Cancer Care • Colitis & Crohn's Disease • Epilepsy • Hearing Impairment • Huntington's Disease • Motor Neurone Disease • Multiple Sclerosis • Muscular Dystrophy • Orthopaedic • Parkinson's Disease • Stroke • Visual Impairment

Facilities & Services: Respite Care • Separate Dementia Care Unit • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Residents Kitchenette • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Ashgrove Care Home: click here

posted 26 Jan 2018

Please contact us for information regarding our bed availability

9.4 Ashgrove Care Home has a Review Score of 9.4 (9.350)

The Review Score of 9.4 (maximum of 10) for Ashgrove Care Home is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.4 out of 5 from 16 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Ashgrove Care Home in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 5.0 out of 5 from 11 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.385 for Ashgrove Care Home is calculated as follows: ( (86 Excellents x 5) + (83 Goods x 4) + (11 Satisfactorys x 3) + (1 Poors x 2) + (1 Very Poors x 1) ) ÷ 182 Ratings = 4.385

The 4.965 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Ashgrove Care Home is based on 11 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 11.4 positive Reviews (57 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 11 Reviews ÷ 11.4 Target = 0.965

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Ashgrove Care Home?

Reviewer Connection to Ashgrove Care Home

Was concerned that my father was not getting dressed and washed until 11.00am to 11.30am as all he was getting for breakfast was porridge whereas if dressed earlier he got a full proper breakfast. In fairness when the boss was informed she was on to it straight away. No other problems. Staff treat him really well.

How likely would you be to recommend Ashgrove Care Home? Likely

Activities: Very Poor

Value for Money: Poor

Clare Sheehan, Care Advisor at Ashgrove Care Home responded to this review on 14 Feb 2018:

Thank you for your response. Your feedback is always appreciated and enables us to make improvements to the overall experience for our residents.
We currently have two Wellbeing Coordinators in post who utilise the care review process as well as working in partnership using the remembering together booklet, which gives us some insight into our resident’s hobbies & interests prior to admission.
Recent activities in the home include our weekly coffee mornings, performances from the fun time theatre, flower arranging workshops & visiting Birmingham symphony hall. Residents often visit the local pub & shops, as well as having the opportunity to join in during our arts & crafts sessions and offer one to one support.
If you have any questions regarding our wellbeing programme please feel free to ask one of the team, otherwise we are now displaying this on the television as you enter the home.
We have recently undergone a refurbishment programme which will hopefully have improved our facilities & cleanliness, however, I have scheduled this for discussion during our next staff meeting to work on further improvements.
If you would like to discuss any of the matters from your review please feel free to drop in & speak with our Manager, as we have an open door policy & value any feedback so we can continue to improve.

I am very pleased with the service they have given my mom. they are very friendly always there if we need help and advice.

How likely would you be to recommend Ashgrove Care Home? Extremely Likely

Very pleased with the service my wife is getting. Extremely pleased with staff and management.

How likely would you be to recommend Ashgrove Care Home? Extremely Likely

Well cared for. Friendly staff. Good facilities and clean rooms.

How likely would you be to recommend Ashgrove Care Home? Extremely Likely

All the carers are really friendly and very dedicated.
Nothing is too much trouble for them.

How likely would you be to recommend Ashgrove Care Home? Extremely Likely

I am very pleased with the care that the home is giving to my husband.
And would highly recommend it to anyone.
The carers and staff are very helpful and friendly.
The meals are excellent and it is very clean and tidy.

How likely would you be to recommend Ashgrove Care Home? Extremely Likely

Staff conscientious and patient, gardens well kept, very clean. Excellent standards.

How likely would you be to recommend Ashgrove Care Home? Extremely Likely

Staff are very efficient, caring, considerate and polite. Nothing is too much trouble and made the care home a home from home and managed to cater for any special needs of patients. Staff mixed together very well with no internal arguments and the home was very well managed.

How likely would you be to recommend Ashgrove Care Home? Extremely Likely

Excellent care of my mum in respite after a hospital stay. Attentive and friendly staff, really made my mum feel welcome. Also liked how visitors felt accepted and respected. It felt like the staff couldn't do enough for you. I would recommend Ashgrove.

How likely would you be to recommend Ashgrove Care Home? Extremely Likely

Friendly caring staff but sometimes too busy to respond during busy times.

How likely would you be to recommend Ashgrove Care Home? Extremely Likely

HC-One, Careline Team at Ashgrove Care Home responded to this review on 23 Mar 2017:

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review. We really value the feedback provided by those who use our services. We are pleased that you have found the staff at Ashgrove both kind and caring, as a home we aim to give the kindest care and I will inform the staff of your positive comments. As you have correctly pointed out there are times when the home can be rather busy, the staffing numbers on the unit have recently been increased, you will now visibly see more care staff around the home. We are also currently in the process of introducing volunteers who will assist our regular staff during busier periods such as meal times. We believe this combination will improve staff availability and reduce the likelihood of any Resident having to wait an unacceptable amount of time to have their care needs met.
We are committed to providing Residents with the high quality, kind care they deserve.
Thanking you again for taking the time to provide really helpful feedback about the home. We value all feedback and ensure it is recorded and acted upon.

My experience of Ashgrove Care Home (The Coppice) was one where I felt my mother in law was being cared for in a loving, kindly way. As her dementia progressed to a state where she was bedridden and could no longer do anything for herself. The staff treated her to the very best of their ability. She was kept clean and the bed linen changed regularly. He room was clean and although my mother in law could no longer communicate with us she was always peaceful when we visited the home. They always made us feel welcome.

How likely would you be to recommend Ashgrove Care Home? Likely

My mother has had deteriorating health over the past few weeks. This has led to today, when sadly she passed away. The care and compassion over particulary this last week, has been excellent. The care staff, both day and night and nursing have been fantastic. The dignity that they have shown my mother and support they have given me is overwhelming. I cannot thank them enough. My mother has had 4 years living at the home and I can honestly say in her own way she has been happy, content and well cared for, despite being short staffed for the dependency of residents.

How likely would you be to recommend Ashgrove Care Home? Extremely Likely

Ashgrove Care Home are very caring, especially the carers. They really looked after my Mum. She went in the home 7th January and passed away 20th March. She fought really hard. We went every day to see her and you become like a little family. I would recommend the home to others.

How likely would you be to recommend Ashgrove Care Home? Extremely Likely

I find the home very good. Office and staff very good in all aspects of their work. Make you welcome and keep me informed in my wife's stay there and any incidents if and when they happen. I am happy that my wife is in this home and being looked after well.

How likely would you be to recommend Ashgrove Care Home? Extremely Likely

My mother was admitted to Ashgrove for respite care, having neglected herself. The care she received led to her feeling well, being well nourished, and she enjoyed the company of a few residents. As a relative, I was welcomed and able to talk about my mother's needs, care and progress. I was pleased she improved.
I did notice her hair was cared for by the hairdresser and podiatry needs addressed. My worries were for the level of hand hygiene residents are encouraged to reach, because my mother's nails looked dirty at each visit (only 4 since I live away). I worry vision, dental, auditory care/assessments limited. I worry staff limit their attention to some dementia residents, however my mother being easy to care for was always respected.

How likely would you be to recommend Ashgrove Care Home? Neither Unlikely or Likely

HC-One, Careline Team at Ashgrove Care Home responded to this review on 28 Apr 2016:

We would like to thank you for your kind comments regarding your mothers stay with us at Ashgrove.
The health, wellbeing, safety and happiness of Residents are our top priorities, and we work hard every day to ensure we are delivering the high quality, kind care all Residents deserve.

The Home Manager operates an open door policy; please feel welcome to pop along for a chat in more detail.
Please be assured we take all suggestions on board and strive to continually improve our service.
We value all feedback and ensure it is recorded and acted upon.

I was at Ashgrove since just before Xmas for a respite stay and the staff have all been great, nothing was too much trouble.

Submit a Review for Ashgrove Care Home

Recipient: HC-One

Recipient: HC-One

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Ashgrove Care Home