Charnwood Oaks, Loughborough, Leicestershire

Charnwood Oaks is a design award winning care home specialising in dementia care for those needing residential or nursing support, registered to provide for eighty-four clients in all single en-suite rooms with spacious en-suite bathrooms, with assistive technology throughout.

Group: Prime Life Ltd

Person in charge: Emma Titlow (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Leicestershire County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 84 Service Users

Registered Care Categories*: Dementia • Mental Health Condition • Old Age • Physical Disability

Facilities & Services: Respite Care • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Television point in own room

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Charnwood Oaks: click here

posted 08 Dec 2017

Single room with full en-suite bathroom

8.6 Charnwood Oaks has a Review Score of 8.6 (8.566)

The Review Score of 8.6 (maximum of 10) for Charnwood Oaks is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.3 out of 5 from 6 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Charnwood Oaks in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 4.3 out of 5 from 5 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.268 for Charnwood Oaks is calculated as follows: ( (41 Excellents x 5) + (15 Goods x 4) + (10 Satisfactorys x 3) + (3 Poors x 2) + (2 Very Poors x 1) ) ÷ 71 Ratings = 4.268

The 4.298 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Charnwood Oaks is based on 5 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 16.8 positive Reviews (84 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 5 Reviews ÷ 16.8 Target = 0.298

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Charnwood Oaks?

Reviewer Connection to Charnwood Oaks

My relative has continued to improve whilst in the care of Charnwood Oaks. The staff take an interest in their welfare and also look after the family.

I cannot thank everyone enough. I also know that my relative is very happy with the care and support that they are shown and this, in turn, helps me to accept that although a hard decision for them to be cared for outside of their own home - that it was the right thing to do.

How likely would you be to recommend Charnwood Oaks? Extremely Likely

I do like the staff. They work hard. But today I visited my Aunt to be told her chair that is wheeled to the lounge has broken and has been for two weeks. She said she hadn't been out of bed for two weeks. The staff said they do use a wheelchair sometimes. But why does it take two weeks plus? Also, we had to sweep the bedroom floor and we collected a dustpan pull of dust cobwebs and food debris.

How likely would you be to recommend Charnwood Oaks? Likely

Overall Standard: Poor

Facilities: Poor

Cleanliness: Very Poor

Management: Very Poor

There are no words that can express the thanks my family and myself feel towards Charnwood Oaks Care Centre. For the last 12 months, my mother has had several respite periods here. She became permanent in February of this year and then on to Nursing in April of this year. I was told to find somewhere else for her because of the cost (this was not by Primelife), so I argued my mum's case and with the help of staff at Charnwood Oaks, we won. Over the last few months and especially this last 5 days, they have been amazing as my mother's health has deteriorated. They have been both professional and family to me as I have had to make decisions. The care for my mother has been outstanding, they have given her the respect, care and love my mum deserves. Without the staff here I would not have got through the last 7 months. You are not only my mum's saviours you are mine as well. The worst is to come but I know my mother and her family will be in safe hands.

How likely would you be to recommend Charnwood Oaks? Extremely Likely

This care home is everything you could possibly ask for in a care home for a loved one. My dad was looked after with such professionalism and compassion at the end of his life. Nothing was too much for any carer. Dad had to be turned every hour 24 hours a day due to pressure sores and could not eat and drink on his own. Not one carer ever moaned. When I asked for help they came straight away. The carers even came to keep me company after their shift had finished. They made sure dad had everything for pain relief in his final days. An outstanding home. As a family we could not have asked for anything more. This home is one in a million.

How likely would you be to recommend Charnwood Oaks? Extremely Likely

My grandad had approximately six weeks of good care. The carers of the unit he was on were very caring, kind, showed compassion and treated my grandad as an individual with respect and dignity at all times. Similarly, the carers, kitchen, cleaning staff were all friendly, welcoming and nothing was too much trouble. The senior carers always kept us as a family up to date with information and involved us as a family.
However, unfortunately, one upsetting experience for me is how I do not feel the qualified nursing staff managed my grandad's symptoms of agitation effectively. I consider that my grandad had days of distressing agitation until I requested a syringe driver pump be commenced. This did finally commence on December 26, 2016, and grandad did die peacefully on the 27th December 2016.

How likely would you be to recommend Charnwood Oaks? Likely

My father lived and was loved at Charnwood Oaks for almost two years, following a lengthy stay in hospital which rendered him disabled and unable to care for himself at home. This was a traumatic time for him. Staff quickly reassured him and made him feel safe, and established a warm, fun and caring rapport. He loved their company and I would say that he was happier there for those two years than he had been for a long time previously. He enjoyed trips out, even though these were difficult to manage, his being wheelchair bound. He loved his food. The family get togethers, such as the Christmas party and the annual bonfire night and garden party were wonderful occasions when families joined in . Nursing staff were vigilant, quick to alert us to any concern and prompt action taken. The care offered to him and to us his family, during the last few days of his life was outstanding. He made his 'final journey' from Charnwood Oaks with staff assembled to see him off.

Submit a Review for Charnwood Oaks

Recipient: Prime Life Ltd

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Charnwood Oaks