Carr Gate Care Home, Wakefield, West Yorkshire

Part of a quiet, residential area of Wakefield in West Yorkshire, Carr Gate is a purpose-built care home offering residential, residential dementia, nursing dementia and nursing care.

At Carr Gate Care Home, residents have a choice of lounge areas with views overlooking the garden and which feature comfortable and specially designed furnishings. The home has a range of comfortable and well-equipped bedrooms; some rooms also have views across the garden.

Chefs at Carr Gate pride themselves on knowing the tastes of residents and preparing a choice of home-cooked, fresh, nutritional meals and catering for any dietary and cultural needs. At HC-One, experienced home managers and members of staff ensure kindness is at the heart of everything they do.

Person in charge: Emerly Gumbura (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: City of Wakefield Metropolitan District Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 65 Service Users

Registered Care Categories*: Dementia • Mental Health Condition • Old Age

Specialist Care Categories: Alzheimer's • Cancer Care • Epilepsy • Hearing Impairment • Huntington's Disease • Motor Neurone Disease • Multiple Sclerosis • Parkinson's Disease • Speech Impairment • Stroke • Visual Impairment

Facilities & Services: Separate Dementia Care Unit • Own GP if required • Pets by arrangement • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Carr Gate Care Home: click here

posted 31 Oct 2017

Please contact us for information regarding our bed availability

8.7 Carr Gate Care Home has a Review Score of 8.7 (8.670)

The Review Score of 8.7 (maximum of 10) for Carr Gate Care Home is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.2 out of 5 from 21 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Carr Gate Care Home in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 4.5 out of 5 from 6 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.208 for Carr Gate Care Home is calculated as follows: ( (94 Excellents x 5) + (99 Goods x 4) + (41 Satisfactorys x 3) + (2 Poors x 2) ) ÷ 236 Ratings = 4.208

The 4.462 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Carr Gate Care Home is based on 6 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 13 positive Reviews (65 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 6 Reviews ÷ 13 Target = 0.462

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Carr Gate Care Home?

Reviewer Connection to Carr Gate Care Home

The staff do their best for us.

How likely would you be to recommend Carr Gate Care Home? Extremely Likely

Everything has been very good, nice bed and room kept tidy. Meals very nice and staff good.

How likely would you be to recommend Carr Gate Care Home? Extremely Likely

Carr Gate Care Home is conveniently placed for M1 users and for Wakefield residents. My care is satisfactory, staff are good, friendly and approachable. TV in the sitting room is too loud but you can usually get it reduced. Food is only fairly satisfactory.

How likely would you be to recommend Carr Gate Care Home? Likely

Claire Hurworth, Careline Manager at Carr Gate Care Home responded to this review on 01 Jun 2017:

Thank you so much for your review of our home. I'm pleased to know that the home is conveniently placed near the motorway and I am also pleased to know that staff are good, friendly and approachable.
Thank you also for raising your concern with me regarding the food and the fact that the TV in the living room is sometimes too loud for you. I'm sure you will be pleased to know that this has been shared with staff and they will be making sure that the TV is set at a reasonable sound level for everyone in the room. I have also shared your concern with the chef who has taken this on board and will try and improve the food and seek feedback from residents. The chef has also been instructed to discuss this further with you and diet notification can be reviewed.

My wife was accepted at Carr Gate Care Home in mid-December 2016 on a respite basis while I recovered from a hip operation. My daughter, son and myself are very pleased with the care at Carr Gate Care Home. My wife has settled quite well, she is eating well and her care by the friendliness of the team is very good. Today, Valentine's day has been celebrated by decorations, a female entertainer and dancing and tea and cakes. We are waiting for agreement of permanent residency.

How likely would you be to recommend Carr Gate Care Home? Extremely Likely

I found this care home good in the way they cared for my mother and the dignity they gave her as she faded and passed away, my mother spent nearly 2 years at this home and I would recommend it to anyone who needs a caring home for relative.

How likely would you be to recommend Carr Gate Care Home? Extremely Likely

Very good care home, both carers and office staff very helpful during my father's two month stay. Very good meals and clean rooms.
Office staff were very helpful in filling in forms and other information.
Carers very good in looking after my father in his last few days. I would recommend Carr Gate Care Home to people looking for a care home.

How likely would you be to recommend Carr Gate Care Home? Extremely Likely

My dad has just been admitted into Carr Gate Care Home. The staff are friendly and the home is adequate.

How likely would you be to recommend Carr Gate Care Home? Likely

The place seems very cheerful and positive. It's clean and tidy and orderly. My sister-in-law seems well looked after and happy.

How likely would you be to recommend Carr Gate Care Home? Extremely Likely

Reception excellent - visit excellent. Staff helpful and considerate.

How likely would you be to recommend Carr Gate Care Home? Extremely Likely

My mother went into respite at Carr Gate due to a recent illness. All the staff are very welcoming and friendly and nothing is too much all you have to do is ask. Mum settled in very quickly and the family noticed a change in her within a couple of days.

How likely would you be to recommend Carr Gate Care Home? Extremely Likely

I am satisfied my mum is receiving adequate care.

How likely would you be to recommend Carr Gate Care Home? Extremely Likely

My wife has been resident for only two weeks and so far she has been quite happy and well cared for.

How likely would you be to recommend Carr Gate Care Home? Likely

I have always found all the staff, from the management team to the cleaning staff, caring, kind and approachable. They all have a good relationship with my 96 year old mother and the family. I find the staff turnover disappointing, mum gets friendly with someone and they leave, I do understand those problems.
I particularly admire the young members of staff, in this day and age it's good to see such caring amongst the young. The recent improvements have enhanced an already good situation.

How likely would you be to recommend Carr Gate Care Home? Likely

Always feel comfortable whenever visit both brothers, one for 6 years one 6 months. Staff most welcoming and helpful.

How likely would you be to recommend Carr Gate Care Home? Likely

This is a great care home. We struggled to find somewhere we liked until we found Carr Gate Care Home. We've not regretted our decision.
Staff are friendly and pleasant, they keep us informed and the residents seem very comfortable with them. My father in law has a nice, large room and access to good facilities. He enjoys the numerous activities and is much more involved with his peers than he was when living alone.
They've managed his physical health extremely well and managed his dementia. He's very settled in his new home, which does feel very much like a home.
First class service all round, couldn't be more pleased. My thanks to all the staff.

How likely would you be to recommend Carr Gate Care Home? Extremely Likely

The senior staff and management are welcoming and efficient. I am particularly pleased with the medical care on hand. The home has recently undergone a facelift and is pleasant, clean and tidy. Over the time my mother has been at the home I have had concerns that a small number of carers have been insufficiently proactive in their care duties. In addition I am not convinced that there is sufficient mix of stimulating activities either one to one or group. TV programmes chosen by carers are not stimulating.

How likely would you be to recommend Carr Gate Care Home? Neither Unlikely or Likely

Value for Money: Poor

HC-One, Careline Team at Carr Gate Care Home responded to this review on 11 Apr 2016:

Thank you so much for your review of our home, we really value the feedback provided by those who use our services. I'm pleased to know that the senior staff and management of the home are welcoming and efficient and also that you are happy with the medical care on hand.
Thank you also for raising your concern with me regarding activities. I'm sure you will be pleased to know that we have recruited another activity organiser for the home so this means we will be having 2 people doing activities at Carr Gate. We hope this is going to help create stimulating activities for our residents.
Again thank you very much for taking your time to complete a review, please feel free to discuss any issues with the Home manager at any time.

I feel that my mother gets very reasonable care. I think that she can be challenging at times and I'm pretty sure the staff cope well with her, but more experienced caring staff would never come amiss.

How likely would you be to recommend Carr Gate Care Home? Likely

HC-One, Careline Team at Carr Gate Care Home responded to this review on 12 Apr 2016:

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review. We really value the feedback provided by those who use our services.
We are pleased to know that you feel your Mum is being looked after well. We are committed to providing Residents with the high quality, kind care they deserve. We have staff that are experienced and fully trained, as well as providing training to newer members of staff and therefore tailor our staffing levels to ensure we can meet everyone’s individual needs.
Please feel free to speak to the Home Manager at any time when you visit the Home, her door is always open.

My sister moved into Carr Gate in December 2015. She settled really well and all staff were eager to know about her interests and hobbies so that they could talk about them with her. All staff are very friendly and welcoming whenever i visit and always available to fill me in on how my sister has been since my last visit. My sister fell and was admitted to hospital- staff rang the hospital every day to ask about her well being and what she had eaten etc- they then rang me to fill me in and update me. I really felt supported by them.

How likely would you be to recommend Carr Gate Care Home? Extremely Likely

Staff are extremely helpful.

How likely would you be to recommend Carr Gate Care Home? Extremely Likely

I am fully satisfied with my mother-in-laws care in this nursing home. My wife and I could not manage without the care that the staff have given my mother-in-law.

How likely would you be to recommend Carr Gate Care Home? Extremely Likely

My mother was at Carr Gate Care Home following recovery from an illness. She was in respite so that my sister could have a break and make arrangements at her home for caring for our Mum. Even though the period that our Mum was at Carr Gate was short, she was taken very good care of by the home care team and she made friends with residents and carers.
The care team kept us informed of mum's progress and maintained very good monitoring records. Food was suitable and Mum's particular favourite was the breakfast.
Some of the Care Team were very attentive to her needs and gave her much support and encouragement.
The managers and supervisors were always available if any of our visiting family requested a chat with them.

Submit a Review for Carr Gate Care Home

Recipient: HC-One

Recipient: HC-One

Emerly

Emerly Gumbura

Joined: 2015

What does kindness mean to you?

“For me, kind care means putting yourself in someone’s position and understanding how they feel.”

As a Registered Nurse, Emerly has a number of years’ experience in providing care and support for older people to enrich their lives. She is a knowledgeable and committed leader who is passionate about delivering the highest possible standards in care and quality of life for Residents.

Emerly joined Carr Gate as Home Manager because she closely shares HC-One’s vision in aiming to provide the kindest care for each and every Resident. She uses her experience to motivate her team to deliver care and support in a way that Residents gain the most benefit, in a warm and welcoming home.

She also works hard to arrange events and activities with nearby organisations and is always quick to welcome the local community to Carr Gate.

When asked what she enjoys most about her role, Emerly remarked: “I just love making our Residents happy.”

Outside of work, Emerly enjoys nothing more than relaxing with a good book.

If you would like to find out more information about Carr Gate, Emerly has an ‘Open Door Policy’ and would be pleased to welcome you for an informal discussion.

You can contact Emerly on 01924 828 105 or via email on carrgate.manager@hc-one.co.uk

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Carr Gate Care Home