Harry Sotnick House

Cranleigh Avenue, Buckland, Portsmouth PO1 5LU

Harry Sotnick House, Portsmouth, Hampshire

Harry Sotnick House, in Portsmouth, is a purpose-built care home that strives for a relaxing living environment in which quality care can be practiced efficiently.

The home's motto is to care 'about people, not just for them', aiming to help individuals achieve a satisfying lifestyle in which they feel empowered and respected.

While offering ninety-two bedrooms that are all en-suite, Harry Sotnick House also has its own library, physiotherapy room and cafe, as well as its own multi-faith room and hairdressing salon.

Group: Care UK Nursing & Residential Care Services

Person in charge: Michelle Newcombe (Home manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Portsmouth City Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 92 Service Users

Registered Care Categories*: Dementia • Old Age • Younger Adults

Specialist Care Categories: Challenging Behaviour • Hearing Impairment • Visual Impairment

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Respite Care • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Near Public Transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Bar/Cafe on premises • Residents Kitchenette • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

Latest CQC* Report on Harry Sotnick House: click here

7.8 Harry Sotnick House has a Review Score of 7.8 (7.785)

The Review Score of 7.8 (maximum of 10) for Harry Sotnick House is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.4 out of 5 from 4 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Harry Sotnick House in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 3 out of 5 from 2 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.426 for Harry Sotnick House is calculated as follows: ( (23 Excellents x 5) + (21 Goods x 4) + (3 Satisfactorys x 3) ) ÷ 47 Ratings = 4.426

2. 1 point is available for reaching a target number of Positive Reviews based on 20% of the number of registered beds. If the target is partially reached then that proportion of 1 point is given. eg a Care Home with 50 registered beds has a target of 10 Positive Reviews, if it has 10 or more Positive Reviews it will receive 1 point, if it has 7 reviews will receive 0.7 points.

The 3.359 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Harry Sotnick House is based on 2 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

1. 3 + 0.25 = 3.25

2. Target of 18.4 positive Reviews (92 registered beds ÷ 5). 2 Reviews ÷ 18.4 Target = 0.109

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Harry Sotnick House?

Reviewer Connection to Harry Sotnick House

Mum has been at the home for 3 1/2 years now. Although it might not be the ideal situation for or a daughter to see their 91-year-old mother be in, I feel it is the best environment for her. I know she is well looked after, is safe, eats well and is part of an extended family due to the staff showing compassion, care and most of al respect of Mum's dementia and other demanding health issues. The staff at all levels are approachable and it never amazes me, however stressful my visit is, the support is amazing. Thank you to all staff at Harry Sotnick.

How likely would you be to recommend Harry Sotnick House? Likely

My mother is now in her 9th week here. We had been warned that this place has had problems and for that reason it was only slowly taking people in to see how it went.
I am therefore very happy to be able to report that myself and my sister both think it is excellent. The building itself is very well laid out and being purpose built all the rooms are light, well laid out and homely. If like us you've visited numerous homes to see what they're like, it will come as a welcome surprise. Non of these dark and dingy rooms in converted old houses. There are themed rooms, a coffee room, numerous dining/social rooms, kitchens, central lobby, gardens and a main activities room.
All staff are friendly, caring and helpful. It's not taken long to become friends with them and feel like part of a community. I already treat the kitchens as my own, making tea or coffee whenever I fancy. If you encounter any problems, just mention it and it gets sorted. Feedback is important and always welcome.

How likely would you be to recommend Harry Sotnick House? Extremely Likely

As a relative of a resident I am well aware of the difficulties the home has faced over recent months. So it was nice to have a very positive visit yesterday. It was really clear how much hard work has gone on both where it can be seen and in the background. I was really impressed to see the changes that The manager and the team have been making starting to take effect. The new decoration and themed rooms are a lovely touch and should give some of the residents pleasure visiting them. Also on each weekly visit now I can see the benefit of a more settled team who clearly work well together. In particular, I wanted to say how impressed I have been with the way one of the team who is the main 1 to 1 career for my relative works. She has a lovely attitude and clearly takes a huge amount of time to try and engage the resident who clearly responds well to her. I have spent quite a bit of time talking to her and asking about my relative and she clearly knows her well. It is nice to know that while it is not a nice thing to need 1 to 1 care, that this member of the team (and I am sure others who I don't see) are working hard to make life more enjoyable. Knowing the difficulties of dealing with my relative this is not an easy job. I have also fed this back to the manager to pass on to the team member. It's easy to be quick to complain, but we shouldn't forget to say thank you or well done. I would also like to add that every time I visit the home and unit it looks very clean and tidy, thanks to the cleaning team. And I would finally like to say that the food is consistently of a very high standard. It looks and smells appetising and the menus are clearly chosen with the age group of residents in mind. So thank you to the team, we appreciate the hard work Looking after our relatives. Thank you to the team. The efforts over the last few weeks and months are appreciated.

How likely would you be to recommend Harry Sotnick House? Likely

My wife has been here for just shy of 3 years now and whilst there has been a lot of change in leadership, the home is now on a much more stable footing. The carers are all big hearted and do a job that I could no longer manage with great compassion and personal engagement with many going the extra mile. When I go to see my wife she is beautifully dressed with the attention to her hair and personal appearance that she would have done herself in the past.
She is happy, relaxed, clean and given every opportunity to do what she wants to do. If she fancies a lie in, so be it; if she wants to move all the furniture around and "tidy up" the place, then she is allowed to do so. (And we'll put it all back afterwards)
The food is superb, with a good choice and plenty of flavour and beautifully presented, Even those with puréed diets have it presented as a gourmet course not simply a pile of brown/green sludge.
Even though there are 6 units, my wife is known by all the staff and everyone of them makes the effort to say "hello" when they see her and try to engage her in conversation. It may only be brief, but she isn't ignored when passed. I include in this all the cleaners, the kitchen and laundry staff.
Any time I want to talk to someone, whether it be a carer, nurse, cleaner or management, I feel totally at ease doing so, and believe my issues are listened to and taken on board.

How likely would you be to recommend Harry Sotnick House? Extremely Likely

Submit a Review for Harry Sotnick House

Please avoid using names and enter a minimum of 200 and maximum of 1,000 characters - Currently 0 characters.

December 2016

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Harry Sotnick House