Windmill House

14 Browick Road, Wymondham NR18 0QW

Windmill House is pleasantly located in the Wymondham area of Norfolk, with scenic gardens and countryside surroundings, in order to achieve an environment in which a relaxing retirement can be enjoyed and professional care standards achieved.

The accommodation and staff expertise are both ideal for the requirements of people with a form of dementia, including Alzheimer's, incorporating innovative practices where they may assist with mental health well-being.

There are fifty-seven rooms available in total and carers can be contacted at all hours of the day and night.

Group: Runwood Homes Ltd

Person in charge: Julie Aldred (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Norfolk County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home only (Residential Care) – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 59 Service Users

Facilities & Services: Gardens for residents

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Windmill House: click here

The Review Score of 9.7 (maximum of 10) for Windmill House is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.7 out of 5 from 46 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Windmill House in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 5 out of 5 from 22 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.659 for Windmill House is calculated as follows: ( (368 Excellents x 5) + (166 Goods x 4) + (8 Satisfactorys x 3) + (1 Poors x 2) ) ÷ 543 Ratings = 4.659

The 5 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Windmill House is based on 22 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 11.8 positive Reviews (59 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 22 Reviews ÷ 11.8 Target Reached = 1

9.7 Windmill House has a Review Score of 9.7 (9.659) from 46 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Windmill House?

Reviewer Connection to Windmill House

I feel so lucky to have found Windmill House to look after my mum and couldn't have wished for anywhere better! Mum's room is a good sized room with a lovely aspect and with plenty of space for all mum's belongings. She even has her own bathroom. The staff are lovely friendly people who clearly enjoy their job - they are very caring and compassionate and treat the residents with dignity and respect. There are lots of activities taking place and everyone is encouraged to take part. At a recent tea party, mum and some of the residents were up on the dance floor singing, dancing and having a good time - wonderful. A truly caring and professional place - wonderful.

How likely would you be to recommend Windmill House? Extremely Likely

It is extremely important that there is good dialogue and communication between senior management, carers and all staff.
The carers, activities coordinator, domestic, laundry and kitchen staff at Windmill House are excellent.
Their role was professional, caring and supportive to our relation and ourselves, at a difficult time for everyone.
At Windmill House relatives are encouraged not just to visit, but to involve themselves in functions and entertainment within the home so that a greater bond is achieved. This is welcomed by the team at all levels and roles.
Over six years, my husband and I have immersed ourselves in fundraising, organising and attending coffee mornings, garden parties as well as assisting in the provision of new facilities. By doing so, a greater understanding, awareness and acceptance of the situation is achieved and in turn benefitted our relative.
Our thanks to them all.

How likely would you be to recommend Windmill House? Likely

My wife has recently moved to Windmill House and has settled in quickly due to the friendliness and dedication of the care staff. Her care has been first rate and the enthusiasm and encouragement of the carers deserve a special mention.

I could not possibly imagine a nicer, happier care home for my wife. My thanks to all the management and carers.

How likely would you be to recommend Windmill House? Extremely Likely

My mum has Alzheimer's and has only been a resident for two weeks but she has settled extremely well. I believe the main reason for this is all the staff, they not only care for her needs but they seem to really care about her as an individual and understand her needs. The home itself is clean and light! There is always something going on and residents seem happy and relaxed.

How likely would you be to recommend Windmill House? Extremely Likely

Windmill House is a very special place and I feel lucky that my mother lives there. Whilst it is not easy to accept the need for a parent to live in a care home rather than her own home, everyone at Windmill does everything in their power to smooth the way and provide support for both the resident and the family.
This includes not only the management and care staff as one might hope and expect, but impressively also all the ancillary staff such as cleaners and catering staff (and hairdresser who visits). Everyone seems to share the same aim: to act as a team and maintain a happy, relaxed atmosphere. They treat all the residents as individuals and with respect. This is such a comfort to me and my mother responds very well to it.
I can't speak highly enough of the activities organiser and her volunteers. They provide so many things for the residents to do: this helps the residents' sociability and well being no end. My high scores are genuine and accurately reflect my thoughts.

How likely would you be to recommend Windmill House? Extremely Likely

Following several falls at home, my mother came to Windmill for 2 weeks respite. She stayed for over 2 months and during this period she was warm, well cared for and fed. She made several friends and became part of the family. Mum was offered a place elsewhere where she could be more independent and left Windmill at the end of November. The staff were all lovely - a special thank you to the manager and another individual, however, ALL staff were kind and caring people. For dementia residents, this home is first class. I have no hesitation in recommending Windmill and thank them all for the help and support to mum and me.

How likely would you be to recommend Windmill House? Extremely Likely

All staff we met with, are of the highest calibre in terms of knowledge, experience, devotion to residents and interaction with concerned persons such as family members. Cannot speak too highly of the staff both management and all others, even the lady managing the tea trolley really friendly and welcoming.

How likely would you be to recommend Windmill House? Extremely Likely

I work away and feel my mother is in very safe hands.

How likely would you be to recommend Windmill House? Extremely Likely

My husband was in Windmill House for 2 and a half years until his death. Accommodation, cleanliness and personal care was good but the caring of the staff to the residents is outstanding. I cannot praise all the staff enough. Not being able to care for my husband at home, Windmill House was the next best.

How likely would you be to recommend Windmill House? Extremely Likely

I am very happy with my Dads care. ALL THE STAFF are extremely caring and professional with my dad. I was very dubious of my dad going into care but the staff have reassured me so much that my dad is cared for, happy and safe. I absolutely feel so much better for my dad and in myself. There is nowhere else I would rather him be, only Windmill House.

How likely would you be to recommend Windmill House? Extremely Likely

My mother developed dementia so this was a very difficult time for me and my siblings. We found Windmill House. Since my mother has been there, the pressure I felt before has disappeared. Windmill House is excellent and my mother settled there straight away. The staff are all amazing and so genuinely caring. I wouldn't want my mum's last days spent anywhere else.

How likely would you be to recommend Windmill House? Extremely Likely

My Grandad seems very happy with his care and the environment.

How likely would you be to recommend Windmill House? Extremely Likely

Staff are extremely caring. On occasion as with all care homes staffing can be a challenge. In the time my relative has been a resident, there have been two issues.
1/ Another resident getting physical - I was notified immediately and appropriate action was taken.
2/ Weeing on the bedroom floor - daily cleaning and when the problem became worse after a discussion a nice laminate floor was laid to make cleaning easier and prevent odour.

How likely would you be to recommend Windmill House? Extremely Likely

We have been made to feel very welcome by all the staff everytime we visit. They are very friendly and obliging. The cafe was set out for us with Happy Birthday banners when we visited on the day of my Aunts birthday, it made her 90th Birthday very special. Nothing is too much trouble for the staff. My Aunt enjoys the activities especially the singing. The food must be good as she often has a second helping and eats everything they provide.

How likely would you be to recommend Windmill House? Extremely Likely

Found Windmill House to be light and very pleasant. The staff are very polite and show care and kindness whenever I have been. They have a good range of activities for their residents and overall seem friendly and helpful.

How likely would you be to recommend Windmill House? Extremely Likely

The care my mother received whilst at Windmill House was excellent, I could not have wished for more. She was always treated with respect and understanding, always clean and the staff were wonderful. I would highly recommend Windmill House - a great team and a lovely environment.

How likely would you be to recommend Windmill House? Extremely Likely

The standard of care is exemplary. My mum is so strong and healthy, she looks and feels better than she has for years. The staff are really patient and caring. I feel genuinely welcome when I visit also.
The environment is lovely, with lots of different social spaces and lots of outside space too.
The activities coordinator takes time to find out about residents and include them in activities.

How likely would you be to recommend Windmill House? Extremely Likely

My mother-in-law has settled well into her new surroundings at Windmill House. She feels safe and enjoys the varied activities provided by the excellent staff.
She was very pleased with herself after baking Bakewell Tarts yesterday, she has not managed to bake herself for several years. The achievement was lovely to see. It clearly boosted her self-esteem.

How likely would you be to recommend Windmill House? Extremely Likely

My dad came to Windmill House for respite and stayed for 4 weeks. This home has the most caring staff and manager. They have done everything they could do for Dad and assisting the family.

How likely would you be to recommend Windmill House? Extremely Likely

She seems to be well looked after and happy. She is warm, happy and secure.

How likely would you be to recommend Windmill House? Likely

My mother, who has dementia was brought to Windmill House in late July 2017. I had been caring for my mother until then but found it very hard. The staff at Windmill House are very kind, caring and attentive towards my mother and much to my surprise she has joined in lots of the activities on offer. I have always been made welcome too.

How likely would you be to recommend Windmill House? Extremely Likely

Absolutely marvellous to me, so caring.
I did not want to come here but I have enjoyed every minute.
Always been patient.
Staff, all of you are wonderful - I want to go home but you have all been marvellous.

How likely would you be to recommend Windmill House? Extremely Likely

Dad was admitted to Windmill House for respite care as mum was not able to cope with disturbed nights.
I was amazed at the friendly professional staff from the start. Thought it might be different for respite, but clearly not. Dad is now a permanent resident and we are so happy we have found such care for not only dad but us (the family) too.
In fact, I have already recommended.

How likely would you be to recommend Windmill House? Extremely Likely

A place was found for my mother at Windmill House for emergency respite care, following several falls at her flat, her health was deteriorating quickly. I visited the home and was given a full tour. I was impressed with the facilities and cleanliness. All my questions and worries were addressed by the staff and the move was handled efficiently. I found the atmosphere very friendly and welcoming. The staff are charming and deal with situations that arise in a calm and caring fashion. My mother has settled very quickly and has stated that the staff can't do enough for her. I hope that this will be a permanent home.

How likely would you be to recommend Windmill House? Extremely Likely

Very happy with Windmill House in Wynmondham. My mother-in-law is very happy here. The home is clean and the food looks good. The staff are always very nice. My mother-in-law enjoys all of the activities arranged by the activities lady.

How likely would you be to recommend Windmill House? Extremely Likely

The home was very helpful accepting Dad into the home at very short notice from being discharged from hospital. Staff are very accommodating making sure Dad settled in. There is always someone to speak to. Staff all very friendly. It's very modern yet has lots of memories from the past around the home.

How likely would you be to recommend Windmill House? Extremely Likely

My father came to the Windmill Care home on the 27/2/2016. He suffered from dementia and it took a while for him to settle in but with the kindness and care of the staff, this did not take too long.
On the 1/4/16, my mother was diagnosed with terminal cancer, from visiting every day and being made welcome to have lunch with dad, her visiting had to take place around her chemotherapy. The support and care given by The Windmill Care Home was amazing and very comforting.
My mother passed away on the 21/6/16 and again, our family and my father were supported with care and compassion. The care team manager cared for my father as if he was a member of her family until he passed away on the 30/10/16.

How likely would you be to recommend Windmill House? Extremely Likely

My father has been here for approx 18 months. I have found his carers and all staff to be exceptional. The place is always clean and well presented. A calm and relaxing place for residents and visitors. All cope extremely well under difficult circumstances. Emergencies are dealt with promptly and efficiently. Highly recommended.

How likely would you be to recommend Windmill House? Extremely Likely

The staff are all very friendly/caring and helpful. The activities programme led by an amazing lady is always stimulating and varied.
Coffee mornings are always a treat to meet the other relatives.
When mums relatives from Belgium phone all the staff are very helpful in getting the phone to her etc.

How likely would you be to recommend Windmill House? Extremely Likely

After five happy years at Windmill House, my father's care in his final days is second to none in this home. The staff are very attentive and trained in dementia care. I could not have wished for a better place for him to be.

How likely would you be to recommend Windmill House? Extremely Likely

I as a visitor was made very welcome. Very nice staff. Nice clean rooms. Residents well looked after.

How likely would you be to recommend Windmill House? Extremely Likely

Everything is very good. Mum very happy. Staff and treatment very good. Really happy with her care.

How likely would you be to recommend Windmill House? Extremely Likely

The staff are excellent, giving the home a real family feel, treating each resident with care and warmth. The home is clean, fresh, lovely outdoor space and the rooms are bright and airy. The food is excellent.

How likely would you be to recommend Windmill House? Extremely Likely

All staff are professional, caring and empathetic. Mum is very happy with all staff and catering - they go the extra mile to stimulate activities and interests.
The home is always clean, tidy and welcoming to residents and families - there are areas to go and have private time with loved ones. Meals are always monitored to ensure residents are eating and drinking well. Residents are given their own space if they want it. I would really recommend this care home - it takes the worry off my shoulders as I know mum is happy and cared for 24/7 - thank you :)

How likely would you be to recommend Windmill House? Extremely Likely

Management and staff are always approachable and friendly. Any worries are listened to and followed up. Staff "go the extra mile" to encourage dad, such as walking a little when he had been wheelchair and stand aid only on arrival.

Other professionals are called in as necessary. Families are welcomed and encouraged to join in with a range of activities and events.

How likely would you be to recommend Windmill House? Extremely Likely

I found this home to be extremely pleasant, bright, light, airy and clean. The staff are helpful, informative and genuinely care for the residents. The garden is super, the residents are encouraged to participate in all the events that take place. The activities are thoughtful and fun.
They go out of their way to get to know the ladies/gents likes and dislikes, hobbies and the jobs they used to do. I personally would be happy to live there. Most residents are happy/cheerful and mobile.

How likely would you be to recommend Windmill House? Extremely Likely

Very nice care home. Most staff are very helpful. My grandad seems very happy here and loves that he can go out into the garden from his bedroom. Lots of activities and entertainment going on. Staff members have also taken grandad out for walks which is lovely.

How likely would you be to recommend Windmill House? Extremely Likely

Very pleased with the care that is provided. Staff are very helpful towards their needs.

How likely would you be to recommend Windmill House? Likely

I have visited people who have been looked after in the care home, also come regularly to the worship service on a Wednesday afternoon as I belong to a Church in Wymondham.

How likely would you be to recommend Windmill House? Extremely Likely

I have only visited the home on 5 or 6 occasions but each time it has struck me as very clean and fresh. The entertainment is very good and carers are very caring and helpful. The best home I have visited.

How likely would you be to recommend Windmill House? Extremely Likely

A purpose built home with excellent social activities. Nicely furnished, with very good care staff, put simply "The cares care they are in the job for a reason, for the right reasons.

How likely would you be to recommend Windmill House? Extremely Likely

Good service and meeting our needs well. Service provider welcomes friends as well.

How likely would you be to recommend Windmill House? Likely

My mother is a resident there and is very well looked after. The staff are very caring and she seems very happy there. I wouldn't want her to be anywhere else.

How likely would you be to recommend Windmill House? Extremely Likely

Windmill House is particularly suited to residents suffering with dementia. All bedrooms are fully furnished including an en suite with walk in shower. Residents if they prefer can also bring in their own furniture, this is not the case with all homes. Decorated throughout with thoughtful memorabilia from bygone days as well as items to stimulate the interests of residents, from the moment you enter the place it has a warm feel to it. Staff are very friendly as well as being competent in their duties. The Care Team Managers will always give you time to talk about your relative, no appointment necessary; plus the manager operates an open door policy. The icing on the cake is the activities coordinator and her group of dedicated volunteers. She provides singing, exercise and craft activity sessions regularly during the week for residents to join in with if they wish. I would not hesitate to recommend this home to someone with a relative suffering with dementia.

How likely would you be to recommend Windmill House? Extremely Likely

My father has been a resident for four and a half years now and I previously left a review in 2014. I'm still very pleased with the way he is being looked after. The staff are a happy dedicated and well trained group of workers who care and interact with the residents in a professional and dignified manner and most of the present staff were there when I last left a review. The home is always clean and tidy, the food is good and varied with a choice of menu. Activities are organised daily such as entertainment and craft work by an experienced activity lady as well as visiting groups from the local community. The management and staff maintain a high standard of care within a family type atmosphere. Regular relative meetings are held for both sides to exchange views and to receive updates. Many improvements have been made since my last review to make things more resident friendly. Windmill House as an ideal place for families loved ones to spend their later years with care and dignity.

How likely would you be to recommend Windmill House? Extremely Likely

My father-in-law, who recently passed away, was in Windmill House for nine months. While he was there he was treated with great kindness. The staff were caring, patient, respectful and had a good understanding of his needs.

Submit a Review for Windmill House

Recipient: Runwood Homes Ltd

Recipient: Runwood Homes Ltd

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Windmill House