Windsor Street Care Centre

35-37 Windsor Street, Cheltenham GL52 2DG

Windsor Street Care Centre, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire

Windsor Street Care Centre provides person-cented care for older people, taking on long-term and respite needs, individuals with dementia or in need of skilled rehabilitation. The care centre makes the most of the talents of dedicated carers and modern technology, combined with the comforts of a homely interior and a dignified lifestyle.

Group: The Orders of St John Care Trust

Person in charge: Michelle Hearn (General Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Gloucestershire County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Voluntary / Not for Profit Owned , Registered for a maximum of 81 Service Users

Facilities & Services: Respite Care • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Bar/Cafe on premises • Residents Kitchenette • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

Latest CQC* Report on Windsor Street Care Centre: click here

9.4 Windsor Street Care Centre has a Review Score of 9.4 (9.366)

The Review Score of 9.4 (maximum of 10) for Windsor Street Care Centre is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.8 out of 5 from 27 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Windsor Street Care Centre in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 5 out of 5 from 10 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.749 for Windsor Street Care Centre is calculated as follows: ( (241 Excellents x 5) + (69 Goods x 4) + (5 Satisfactorys x 3) ) ÷ 315 Ratings = 4.749

2. 1 point is available for reaching a target number of Positive Reviews based on 20% of the number of registered beds. If the target is partially reached then that proportion of 1 point is given. eg a Care Home with 50 registered beds has a target of 10 Positive Reviews, if it has 10 or more Positive Reviews it will receive 1 point, if it has 7 reviews will receive 0.7 points.

The 4.617 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Windsor Street Care Centre is based on 10 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 16.2 positive Reviews (81 registered beds ÷ 5). 10 Reviews ÷ 16.2 Target = 0.617

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Windsor Street Care Centre?

Reviewer Connection to Windsor Street Care Centre

• Volunteer

My wife and I had been pastoral carer's with a large church in Cheltenham for over 20 years, so we know the difference between good and poor care.
Since my wife went into care last June I have visited her every day for 2-3 hours.
The standard of care that I have seen has been exceptional. The care staff have been well selected, well trained and well motivated. My wife has been treated with respect and love. I have been shown kindness and encouragement. I have seen this level of respect and patience shown to all the other residents. The design and layout of the building and standard of equipment has helped them do their work well.
The communal area has always been kept clean and tidy. All these things have been a vital help to us during a very difficult time in our lives.
Thank you.

How likely would you be to recommend Windsor Street Care Centre? Extremely Likely

Excellent dementia care by all staff. My friend and uncle are both resident and are treated as human beings. They are extremely well treated and cared for and I never worry about leaving them after a visit as I know they are safe, secure and are clean and well fed. Rooms and environment are lovely.

I came in November 2015 for respite, stayed for 6 weeks and then became a resident. Apart from the time when the carers are short staffed, you have to be patient and wait for your turn. I love the food, and the activities are good (unless cancelled). Everyone is very kind and helpful. My room is nice and everyone who visits say so. The only grumble is my daughter has trouble getting in the front door at weekends.

Janis Tunaley, Communications Manager at Windsor Street Care Centre responded to this review on 06 Jul 2016:

Thank you for your review and your kind comments about the team, which I will certainly share with them. With regard to access to the home at weekends, we recognise that this can, at times, be a little frustrating. Unfortunately, we do not have reception staff on duty at the weekend, and for that reason we recommend that visitors buzz the relevant unit using the intercom system to gain entry. However, if colleagues are busy meeting the needs of the residents, it may take a while for somebody to return to the office to answer the intercom and allow people access. I am sure you will appreciate that, in order to maintain the safety and security of our residents, we are not able to give relatives the access code.

I am delighted that you enjoy our activities programme; we are fortunate to be well supported in this area, with rare cancellations being due, usually to entertainers being unable to attend at short notice. We always do our best to make sure activities take place.

There have been some recent staff shortages due to long term sickness, maternity leave and members of the team leaving to take up other opportunities. However, we have recruited new carers and are confident that, once they have completed their induction, they will contribute effectively to our existing staff team.

I hope that this addresses the points that you raise but would be more than happy to discuss any matter at any time with either you or your daughter. Please never hesitate to be in touch with me.

I think it is nice because people look after you. I'm not physically able to do much but everyone makes an effort to help me and they listen to my wishes. I like it when the therapy dog visits me in my bed.

I have been a volunteer at this care home for 3 years. In all my dealings with the staff and residents of Windsor Street, I have been most impressed - particularly with the care shown by the staff dealing with residents who have dementia.
Dementia residents can be very difficult at times, and staff dealing with them require patience, tolerance and understanding. I feel these qualities have been demonstrated admirably when I watch staff/resident interactions at Windsor Street.

I enjoy volunteering at Windsor Street, in particular the large scale fund raising events for example the summer garden party. Windsor Street is well connected within the community and offers a wide variety of trips outside of the home. Also all of the staff are happy to answer any questions I have which I find very comforting.

I'm very pleased with my treatment and being looked after, I've got no other complaints.

How likely would you be to recommend Windsor Street Care Centre? Likely

Very good support from staff. The food was very good and plentiful, the room was very nice and kept very clean. In fact you couldn't fault anything. My stay there was very pleasant.

Very friendly staff - my brother receives very personal care and is escorted every day for his papers. Takes part in most activities, and participates in many tips out.

My mother's sister passed away at Windsor Street in April 2015 having moved there some four months earlier. She had reached the terminal stage of a long-standing illness. I haven't posted a review until now (February 2016) partly because my mother herself was very frail and died in October, but this has enabled me to make a comparison between two facilities in different parts of the country.

I had nothing to do with my aunt's decision to move into Windsor Street but soon realised that she had made an excellent choice. Accommodation and facilities were appropriate, well organised and clean, and the standard of nursing and personal care itself was first class. Apart from this I was particularly impressed by the support services, and the infrastructure which supported the front line care. The caring, client-centred ethos of the home, and the standard of communication by all staff, were excellent. I was in no doubt that every member of staff was signed up to ideals of the service.

My sister and I visited a number of Care Homes when it became clear that our mother could no longer live independently, we chose Windsor Street (Hampton Suite) and were very glad we did. The care Mum received was exemplary, the carers and staff were genuinely fond of the residents, spent time individually with them on activities and encouraged the residents to participate in the wide variety of opportunities available. I've never met such a lovely group of people who went out of their way to provide the best personalised care to all the residents. The Medical and Nursing attention is also excellent. The ethos that the Order of St John have instilled in all their staff at Windsor Street is superb, be they Kitchen, Reception, Activities, Carers, Nursing .... We couldn't have chosen a friendlier, well equipped, safe, caring, social, happy place for Mum and they made her last 6 months the best they could possibly have been.

My father came to Windsor Street when he was diagnosed with dementia and could no longer cope for himself. He is well cared for and treated with kindness and respect. He does appear happy in his own world and enjoys walking in the garden or watching TV in his own room. I no longer have to worry about his medication or if there is anybody to help him if he has a fall. I would not hesitate to recommend Windsor St to anybody looking for a safe place for a loved one.

We are consistently impressed with the welcoming atmosphere in this Home. We are greeted by name whenever we visit and thanked for any little service we provide.

The staff show a lot of patience and tenderness to the residents, who always look well cared for and nicely dressed.

I have been volunteering for a few months and seen at first hand the staff, residents and environment of the care home. I have taken part in days out and art and singing activities with the residents and seen the care and respect with which they are treated. I would be very happy to recommend Windsor Street Care Home to any friends or family.

My mum has been in there for 5 weeks lovely place and staff are great. There is not a place like it, so lovely. There is nothing the staff would not do to help. So please she was so well looked after while in there for respite. I would like to say a very big thank you to the staff and cleaning staff thank you.

Andrew Moore, Home Manager at Windsor Street Care Centre responded to this review on 12 Feb 2016:

Thank you so much for taking the time to submit a review about your Mum's stay with us. Your comments are much appreciated and I will pass them on to the rest of the team. We're pleased to have been able to help out and look forward to welcoming your Mum back at any time she may need respite care in the future.

The high level of care, the extreme efficiency and kindness of all the staff in looking after my mother, and the extended family, have helped incredibly during these past 6 months. I would have no hesitation in recommending Windsor Street Care Centre.

My husband has been in the Windsor Street Care home since June as it became too difficult to look after him at home. He has had excellent care from a very well run home. Great leadership from the top, charming manager and deputy who are cheerful and helpful. I am unable to comment on the activities as my husband is unable to take part. Nursing excellent from lovely staff.

I have been a volunteer at Windsor Street Care Home for two years now and every time I spend time with the residents I am always impressed by the quality of care delivered. Residents are treated with dignity and looked after extremely well. Activities are not only fun, but designed to be stimulating and interactive. I have thoroughly enjoyed my time as a volunteer at Windsor Street.

After an accident at home I was sent to Windsor Street Care Centre to recover. I was very impressed with the high standard of care and attention I received. The staff all worked well together creating a lovely, happy atmosphere nothing was too much trouble, any requests were dealt with straight away.

My mother has been there for 2 years and the care she has has is second to none. They have given me my mother back. I would not hesitate to recommend to anyone. All the staff are so friendly and willing to help with anything. One of the nicest care homes I have seen.

It has been a pleasure to visit my friend in these excellent surroundings. While I have been with her, she has had attention from staff whenever necessary and has declared her satisfaction with all aspects of care. The room is pleasant and welcoming and she is able to assist herself of access to shared space (i.e Lounge, dining room ect) when well enough.

This is the second home for my mum, the first was OK but Windsor Street is perfect. She has settled well considering she has Alzheimer's and has made some friends. I love the layout of her unit its so much more sociable and light. There are only 12 residents on her unit which makes it nicer for quick integration. Lots of great activities and trips organised and my dad is also made to feel very welcome despite being in a wheelchair. Have already recommended the place to a few people.

My mother has been in Windsor St for almost two years since it opened. The facilities are excellent, she is in a small unit with a dozen or so other residents, she has her own comfortable room with en-suite facilities. But the thing which has made Windsor Street so good for mum is the staff, dedicated, friendly, caring and kind. I could ask for no more.

My husbands care needs are very great and I think the home deals with him very well on a personal basis day to day. However I feel he needs a bit more stimulation mentally to avoid the extreme boredom that he talks to me about. I realise that with so few staff and other residents perhaps needing more attention is difficult.

Andrew Moore, Home Manager at Windsor Street Care Centre responded to this review on 25 Sep 2015:

Thank you for your comments which are welcomed. When residents come to live with us, we do our best to find out how they like to spend their time, so that we can support them to participate in activities we know they will enjoy. We are aware that your husband enjoys painting, drawing and crafts as well as the Sunday service which he occasionally attends. When the weather is good, he also enjoys sitting in the garden. Although our staffing levels on this particular unit are often above the minimum required, as you rightly surmise, there have been occasions over recent months where the needs of other residents have had to be prioritised, which may have led to your husband feeling bored. We have addressed this issue by increasing the amount of activity co-ordinator time available and are prioritising individualised activities with residents. This should help to ensure that all our residents are offered increased time for activities. I hope this reassures you, but please don't hesitate to speak with me about this, or any other issue, if you should have any queries or concerns.

This is to reflect on my mother’s stay over the last eighteen months in Kensington Unit.
Following her slightly traumatic transition from another, local Care Home she was, together with ourselves, welcomed into the OSJCT Windsor Street community. The nursing, caring and activities staffs, supported by extensive administration and service teams, combined to provide an engaging, family environment. The continuity and stability of the staff enabled her to build trust and establish friendships with many of the caring staff.
We are very glad that we found Windsor Street for my mother to spend her last days. She was very-well cared for in a modern, well-equipped facility.

I think Windsor Street is a wonderful care home. I have been volunteering for over a year and I am so impressed with the care and attention all the residents receive. I would not hesitate to put my own relative in this home and am incredibly impressed with the range of trips and activities available here - I look forward to my visits! I always leave feeling comforted that the residents are being well cared for. I have also benefited and learnt a great deal from the informative monthly support groups that are available in this home. My 90 year old mother has dementia and I have found my relation with her to have improved drastically by putting into practice what I have learnt during these sessions.

My wife who suffers from dementia has resided at Windsor Street Care Centre since May 2014. I feel fortunate to have found this care home with little knowledge of what to look for. From the start my wife and I were treated with utmost courtesy and understanding. The small unit philosophy does enhance the way residents are treated but undoubtedly the most important element is the quality of all the staff whose dedication in the more demanding circumstances is impressive. The professional and personal skills displayed make a real difference in the circumstance my wife and I find ourselves.

Submit a Review for Windsor Street Care Centre

Please avoid using names and enter a minimum of 200 and maximum of 1,000 characters - Currently 0 characters.

Andy

Andy Moore

Joined: 2015

The eighty one residents at Windsor Street Care Centre are looked after by a highly dedicated team of over one hundred staff that include nurses, carers, administrators and ancillary staff. They are led by the manager who is supported by a Head of Nursing Care, a Head of Dementia Care and a team of Care Leaders.

Andy began his nurse training in 1982 at Coventry school of nursing. After just over 30 years service he left the NHS in March 2013. During his career he had many roles including community nurse, ward manager, mental health trainer and latterly as a service director within a large Foundation Trust. He has also worked as a commissioner of mental health services within Gloucestershire.

During the last few years of his NHS career Andy was responsible for the management of 2 large psychiatric hospitals, including one for older people with dementia as well as a variety of community services.

After leaving the NHS, Andy worked as a lecturer in Health and Social care and completed his PGCE. Although enjoying teaching he decided to return to management in the care sector and took up post at Windsor Street in February 2015.

Andy brings a wealth of experience and knowledge to his role as General Manager. He is committed to ensuring that services are built around the needs of the residents and that care is person centred and of the highest quality. He sets high standards for himself and his team and believes strongly in developing, supporting and empowering staff to enable them to achieve the best they can and in turn deliver the highest quality care that they can.

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Windsor Street Care Centre